PDA

View Full Version : Whatever was I thinking.......

bubba
October 29th, 2013, 02:41 AM
when I thought jury duty would be fun??????????????? Sat there all day, 0800 - 1430 and was just started on a nice little nap when I was rousted and told we could all leave. Thank goodness my group was not called for tomorrow, I don't know if I could have taken another day of boredom! It could be a looooooooooooooooong two weeks!

MayinJerset
October 29th, 2013, 02:57 AM
We call the weekend before our jury duty and are told when to report to the court house. Last time I just reported on a Thursday, sat round most of the day and then was dismissed ending my jury duty call. Think I'm too old to be called again but if I'm called again will get a note from my orthopedic dr. as I can't sit down all day.

I was on a trial once and it was almost as boring as sitting around in the jury pool room. Also the Assistant DA was wearing a strong perfume that made me sneeze whenever she approached the jury. Sucker was real quilty and lost most of us when he called the arresting officers something obscene.

Best jury duty was when my friend worked for a judge at the court house. She had me called to the jury room front desk and she took me into the judge's chambers when we had our lunch and a nice chat. .

Sheena
October 29th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I'd love to be called for jury duty. I've been called up twice but the first time the accused didn't like the look of me (!?) and the second time I'd not long had my third child.

I occasionally have to go to court when I sue a tenant for rent arrears and that's not much fun.I'd rather be in the jury on a short case.

turena65
October 29th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Two weeks? You're lucky! In our county, we have to serve for a whole month! :(

Bubby
October 29th, 2013, 07:30 AM
It seems like I get called for more than my share of jury duty. When I was still working for probation & parole all defense attorneys wanted to excuse me and the prosecutors wanted me to sit on the jury. I've served a lot of jury duty in my day.

Monique
October 29th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Good luck, I have never been called and suspect I never will be.

Sandy Navas
October 29th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I, too, Monique, have fallen through the cracks. Never called. Maybe someone didn't like the looks of me, either? If I were ever called I'd pack a sack lunch, a couple bottles of iced tea, a bunch of puzzle books, one or two to read, some hand stitching things, my music and a good soft pillow with a lap quilt . . . you just never know.

Lisapc
October 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I was called twice. Both times I was pregnant. I hope to be neither again, unless I could turn the clock back then having another baby would be a dream.

MRoy
October 29th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I've been called for jury duty one time...it's 6 months service here. But we called in to see if we were to report so there were times we didn't have to report at all. I was selected to sit on one case, but after the defense attorney questioned me I was released. The defendant was on probation and prohibited from having a firearm and was stopped with a gun in his truck on his wedding day (no kidding). Supposedly it was his fiance's gun and she had forgotten to remove it. When questioned, I said if I loved someone who wasn't supposed to be around a gun, I think I'd find another weapon to have on hand. That got me kicked off that case. The fellow was found guilty and sent to prison.

Cat n bull
October 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
My husband had to report this am for jury duty! He was not real happy about it. He was able to get the first summons postponed. Here you call the night before and they tell you if you need to report the next day. Sure enough, he had to go!

I got summoned a few years ago, but was told not to report when I called.

bubba
October 29th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Oh, mine was postponed from summer till now, at my bosses request. I only got called for it once before and it was about 28 years ago and at that time, we were excused because of our job. They don't automatically do that anymore, you have to report. I am back at work today because my group was not called, but I will check back again later this afternoon to see if I get to go tomorrow.....

toggpine
October 29th, 2013, 02:03 PM
They excused me because they didn't want me to bring my child, and she isn't old enough to get herself on & off the school bus yet.

I don't really expect it to be fun, but when I can, I will go.

bubba
October 29th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Part of it was very entertaining! Two of my deputies came in and gave a demonstration of what you can and cannot bring into the building. You'd be amazed at some of the things people have tried to sneak in! I learned if you are on jury duty, you are allowed to bring knitting needles, whereas others can't. They said last week, a juror brought in a spinning wheel! Wish I'd have been there for that!

toggpine
October 29th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Wow! But then again, my wheel is pretty good sized. I have seen the "stacked" wheels that aren't much bigger than some of those "fashion" handbags! My question is where were they going to put the sheep to supply the fleece?

I'd think twice about letting the jurors have knitting needles. After listening to some of the stupid stuff people do, I might be tempted to put the idiot out of our collective misery.

TeresaJean
October 29th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I've served on a jury twice before. It is an exhausting process. Glad to hear you only had to do one day!

BellasQuilts
October 30th, 2013, 12:46 AM
I always get jury duty. DH doesn't since he is usually working on a courtcase when they send him the notice! Stinker. Last time I was foreman because I was the only one there that had served on a jury before!

bubba
October 30th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Oh, I have it for two weeks. Have to call every afternoon to see if I am to report the next morning or not. Today was a no and so is tomorrow! I hope Thursday will be do, since I am supposed to go to work at 0300 and I hate that....there is a quilt class I want to take Wednesday and I can't if I have to be in bed by 6pm!! I do set priorities!