PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls find their Groove

HdWench
October 28th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I don't know why but some OLD things stick with me, yet I can't remember what I ate yesterday :lol::lol::lol:

Thinking about how Stella got her groove on.... What do you do to get yourself motivated to do something sewing related, or what helps you find your Groove?

Pain - Pain takes all my groove away. It takes more than a few pills to give me any relief so I don't find my groove until about midnight. Until then I do small things, wipe kitchen counters (Hubby cooks and SALTS the dang stove more than food)... but it helps me to be thinking about the fabrics and what I hope to accomplish tonight. Thinking about it and getting around to doing it, yes you know that's 2 different horses. The Flash Sewing helps get my Groove on, just knowing there are a Bunch of us making the effort to turn on the sewing machine and do anything!

So what motivates you and helps your inner Stella find her/his Groove?

Debbie

Jean Sewing Machine
October 28th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Fear and deadlines, or some hot new idea I just need to try out!

Kgrammiecaz
October 29th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Nothing specific motivates me. Just each day and whats happening at the time. Such as if the house is empty I like to go sew because no one interrupts me. Truly wonderful and I get so much done in just several hours

It may also depend on where I am in the process and how I feel about the piece I am doing. I have vowed to not have a stack of ufo's so I have to get one done before a new one

This is not to say I dont have a couple ufo's right now because I made that rule a few months in when I saw where I was heading

But I love it all for sure in one way or another so I guess I could say my passion for this craft motivates me

Hulamoon
October 29th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Deadlines are a definite downer. Letting people chose sizes on Etsy opened up that for me. I never ran into a problem though and everyone was happy.

If I get through two deadlines this week I will get motivated. Clean the house a little and start something I really want to do.

Mpyles
October 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I quilt to relax...so the motivation is the peaceful feeling i get when I am in my sewing room working away on something. Here of late my DH has balked at the time I spend in there so I started a hand project....not quite the same, and I think I am getting a bit resentful. If his fishing buddy was ready to head out to the lake he would be right there waiting on him......sigh....

toggpine
October 29th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I go in quilting spurts. Some of it depends on what else is going on around here. Sometimes other things take priority and then I just don't get into the sewing room for long stretches. I
I like the FLASH sewing project too. It's kind of like one of the UFO-buster groups, but there is no pressure to actually have a finish. You only need to make progress on some thing in your sewing space, even if that is only cleaning it up!

I am finding that standing for long periods to quilt isn't going to work. I end up standing on one foot while working the pedal with the other. My "standing foot" is having some unpleasant swelling & cramping issues. I may have to find a stool that is the right height to relieve the pressure. (I should probably have the foot/ankle x-rayed since it's been pestering me for a few months, but, you know how that goes.)
The other thing that helps keep me in the sewing room are good audiobooks. They certainly make the time pass quickly, and keep me from becoming distracted by TV or the computer. Now that the computer is in the back guest room/office, I can't just pop over to check on you all and get right back to stitching. Computer breaks are being relegated to the same category as bathroom/beverage breaks. Although, I can justify popping in while changing laundry, since it's just across the hall!

It's still early here, so I'm going to go check on the family & the football game. Then it's back to the sewing room for a few more hours.

Sew Perfect
October 29th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Enjoying quilting, seeing the final project, and starting something new is what motivates me. I love sewing period.

pcbatiks
October 29th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Having an idea in mind that I really like helps motivate me. The happy, peaceful feeling of seeing a plan come together keeps me motivated........and when I am almost finished with a project my mind is already jumping ahead to the next project!

.......and then there is always a deadline to get me moving! :D

Miss Sheri
October 29th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Falling in love with a fabric line that just arrived, and knowing just what I want to do with it, That gets me motivated. Having a clean house, laundry up to date, and my family fed . . . = no guilt, that motivates me too, it's like a reward for taking care of the basics.

Lisapc
October 29th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I am never without a project on the sewing table or 10 more in progress or fabric on it's way to my door. My problem is taking the time away from running the rest of my life to do it.

I am tired of all of the UFO's I have so I am really trying to finish one in between each new project.

After saying all that this Iron Quilt thing is kicking my bottom. I am not going to finish on time and yet I want to do nothing else. Bottom line for me is to do the same thing with quilting as I do with taking care of myself. Putting me first. What does it really matter if hubby has bread instead of rolls for his lunch for a day or two. Nothing, he doesn't care. So maybe I will try and put my enjoyable sewing first once in a while.

HdWench
October 29th, 2013, 01:19 AM
YES!!! gosh do I know that when I disappear into my sewing room. Maybe 1/2 of that is US feeling guilty or those "looks" we get hehehe But any fishing buddy, cigar smoking neighbor or whatever and they are OFF like Johnny lightening

Lisa - You are right! Never put myself 1st in life, it's hubby, the cats ALL before ME... ok the house runs last, but I'm only 1 step above that - Let's do this for US!!

Ok got 80 to unpick then and it's only 9:30!

Jean gosh yes a deadline gives me a huge kick in the what for LOL Need to put this on paper as a Deadline too

my own Stella groove is to unpick at least 20 before bedtime! I think I can, I think I can Red Choo choo

Hulamoon
October 29th, 2013, 02:00 AM
I just got a different take on motivation in a weird way. I just went down to a family owned store to pick up some bread and some other little things. I ran into the back end of someone that came in and complained that they didn't carry quart sized orange juice, I guess a long line got formed about this guy's complaint. It's a tiny store that carries ice cream, frozen pizza, ketcup etc. We are up in the boonies. I go there all the time and know what they carry.

This poor girl (cashier) is only 22. My dd played soccer with her.

So you really want to yell at a young girl because of the size of orange juice. People are so weird.

MayinJerset
October 29th, 2013, 02:45 AM
My main motivator is a deadline. I'm a pretty close to deadline finisher. Right now I don't have any pressing deadlines so I've not sewn in awhile which is good because my sewing room available to use the past few weeks. I really want to get up there to start assembling my Secret Pal's gift box and sew up a few plastic bag holders. One holder will be for DS#3's new kitchen, will make a few potholders to match.

Sew Perfect
October 29th, 2013, 02:56 AM
My main motivator is a deadline. I'm a pretty close to deadline finisher. Right now I don't have any pressing deadlines so I've not sewn in awhile which is good because my sewing room available to use the past few weeks. I really want to get up there to start assembling my Secret Pal's gift box and sew up a few plastic bag holders. One holder will be for DS#3's new kitchen, will make a few potholders to match.

May, I LOVE my plastic bag holder you made for me!!! It's one of my favorite things!

Madeforyouinma11
October 29th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Deadlines are definitely a great motivator, but I get really motivated when my house is clean and everything is in order. I spent the entire day today in my sewing room and plan on doing that for most of the week. I take about 1/2hr to 1hr each day to make sure things are clean and in order and I feel free to sew to my hearts content without any feelings that I should be doing other things.

bkthomas
October 29th, 2013, 04:19 AM

This is how bad it is.....went out there today for the first time in a week....Think I can start a new decorating craze?
....and in case you didn't know, my sewing room is in the garage!
That is why I have never posted pictures of my sewing space....but when I saw this
I said to myself, "Aww, why not?!!!"

Funny you should ask, my groove is gone for the last week or so...
I am wanting to get going on my plans for the Iron Quilter challenge, but I am missing something I need to get started...
...and I will not be able to get it till my next direct deposit hits.
Once I have that, it's all systems go.......So, does that mean money is my motivator?

Jean Sewing Machine
October 29th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Hey, Kathy, at least you can see the rug! But, i never have to rake the sewing room floor like you might have to do!

When the scraps take over the rug, that's my cue that it's time to clean! Oh, and when the bug man comes every other month, I like to have a new layer of scraps for him to spray around! Uhoh, he's coming at 10 this morning, yikes!

Iris Girl
October 29th, 2013, 05:23 AM
quilting and sewing are very relaxing to me. So I try not to have deadlines. I do have to ahve projects ready for class but am ready through December on the front. The thing that motivates me most when I need motivation is seeing something new I can't wait to try.My sons are great motivation they always have an idea they want me to try. My hubby not so much since he has no opinion he likes everything.

bkthomas
October 29th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Jean, it has been all swept away!

Renate
October 29th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I hate Deadlines and love them at the same time ... but mostly I don`t care about, because my day has only 24 hours and I do my very best for all duties and also have tome for fun and Relaxing, what sewing and quilting means to me.

But my best Motivator for finishing Projects is: (please do not laugh) posting Pictures here at the Forum and getting all your lovely comments. I never forget the first time I posted a Picture and you applauded me so lovely, this was a kind of Feeling I never had befor. So, thanks to you all for beeing my Motivator :-)

Iris Girl
October 29th, 2013, 05:32 AM
I am never without a project on the sewing table or 10 more in progress or fabric on it's way to my door. My problem is taking the time away from running the rest of my life to do it.

I am tired of all of the UFO's I have so I am really trying to finish one in between each new project.

After saying all that this Iron Quilt thing is kicking my bottom. I am not going to finish on time and yet I want to do nothing else. Bottom line for me is to do the same thing with quilting as I do with taking care of myself. Putting me first. What does it really matter if hubby has bread instead of rolls for his lunch for a day or two. Nothing, he doesn't care. So maybe I will try and put my enjoyable sewing first once in a while.

I have to agree with putting EVERYTHING else first thats my problem , I make sure hubby has what he needs and the cats and the kids, and their is a plan for dinner and house is somewhat walkable through. then I can sew. And if my son comes out and says wanna play ( we play GW2 together) I usually pack up sewing and play. I do sew pretty regularly before work each day. I have hubby off to work and dishes done a load of laundry out , am dressed and showered for work I usually have an hour I can sew in. Benefits are it relaxes me for work and then If I don't sew after work at least I sewed that day.

Kelly F
October 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I tend to overwhelm myself and then I end up staying away from the quilting table for a few days. I have to get things in order in my brain...lolol

So knowing how many weekends until Christmas, or other special dates, usually motivates me. Trying something new motivates me.

AND.. Echoing Lisa.. I had to figure out that I did not have to clean the house. I wanted to clean the house, but instead I could have me time if I put the housework on others.

Unfortunately, and this is a whole other conversation, in my household it is not like I can assign things to my step-daughter. She is one of those people who figured out that the worse they complete a chore, the less likely she will be asked to do it again. So the Bank of Kelly and Jay has closed. It is the only thing she responds too..

BUT hubby will help me to make sure I have quilting time! :). Hubby moved his home office into a corner of my quilting cave and so I can quilt and he can do his design stuff and spend time together.

HdWench
October 29th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Renate you touched my heart about posting from here in your Sewing room to motivate you!
I think that is such a lovey idea :icon_kiss:

Debbie