PDA

View Full Version : Six weeks under my belt!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 28th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Hi friends,

Your M* Fitness Director here encouraging you to move your bodies this week.

Six weeks ago today I "turned over a new leaf" and started running again. I've been meeting my two buddies three days a week and running by myself an additional day or two a week.

I'm feeling so much better. And I'm actually running now, as opposed to shuffling my feet along. My running buddy said today that technically, you're not running if your pace is slower than 9 minutes per mile. (Slower = jogging.) But I say BOOOOO to whoever made up that rule. I'm RUNNING at 11-12 minutes a mile and I dare anyone to tell me differently. (They only need to listen to me gulping for air to know I'm running.)

So here's to a new week, and a new opportunity to stretch, move, walk, jog, run, lift, bend, and keep those bodies flexible and healthy. You know what they say: a healthy quilter is a long-lived quilter.

HdWench
October 28th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah Joan! The new official Fitness Director :-)

ah I haven't been able to do more than just sit all summer, but hope in a few weeks to get "fixed" and back at least walking around the block :D That will be a good beginning.

Yes, we all have too many projects lined up to make in 1 lifetime, so if we stay fit we can actually make more of them - I like it!

Debbie

Carol336
October 28th, 2013, 09:28 AM
You've got me motivated Joan. Gonna take that walk today for sure!!!

MayinJerset
October 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM
One, two bend, three, four snap, crackle and pop, that's how it goes but doing it anyway.

Sandy Navas
October 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM
May, I was going to say that I got out of bed this morning without falling flat on my face. Does that count?

I've been doing so much shifting of things, lifting boxes, up and down stairs, ladders, in and out of the house, here and there, moving and shaking . . . and I can hardly move. Maybe I need to move closer to Joan.

Lisapc
October 28th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Use it or lose it! I am moving today although not how I want to move. I am extra stiff this morning so I am taking longer to move and my back is killing me. So I will go do my errands and some back exercises and work on my core. The stronger my muscles are the higher my tolerance to pain is and the less back pain I have. Hmmm! I used to make that a priority. I need to do that again.

Thank you for the motivation. Now if the scale would cooperate!

EsGrandma
October 28th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Love the motivation!! Just finished the treadmill (first time in a long time) and my daughter is encouraging me to do yoga - she swears that it helps with stiffness.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 28th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Use it or lose it! I am moving today although not how I want to move. I am extra stiff this morning so I am taking longer to move and my back is killing me. So I will go do my errands and some back exercises and work on my core. The stronger my muscles are the higher my tolerance to pain is and the less back pain I have. Hmmm! I used to make that a priority. I need to do that again.

Thank you for the motivation. Now if the scale would cooperate!

Lisa, I'm so over the scale. Turning 50 has a way of doing that to you.

When I was in third grade, my mother bought me a box of Barbie dolls at a garage sale. One of the accessories was a tiny scale that had a sticker on it that said 110. Barbie weighed 110 her whole life! Well, this scarred me for life because I weighed 110 in third grade. I'm 5'11" tall and when I was skinny I weighed 150. I'm no longer 150, but I feel good if I can stay south of 200, even if it's a smidgen south.

I have one of those doctor's scales in my bathroom (with the sliding weights) that is accurate to 4 oz. I rarely step on it. I can tell by my clothes if I'm up or down and try to adjust my food/exercise accordingly. For me, for this stage of my life, the number can go to heck!

CrazyMtnLady
October 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I finally drug out my scales over the weekend and weighed myself. I have dropped 20 pounds over the last few months. Probably because of a combination of all the yard work I did and Hubby being up in Michigan and I haven't been cooking as much. :) But I did get back in my "skinny" jeans!!!!!!!!!!!!
I actually had to put a belt on yesterday and fold my sweats down over it to walk to the mailbox, otherwise my sweats would have been at my ankles before I got to the bottom of the hill. LOL..

laf512
October 28th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Good for you! I really need to get back into my running routine. Right now, I've really only been working out once per week and that is because I teach an hour long fitness class at our homeschool co-op. I really need to be doing more though.

Peggi
October 28th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've been speed-walking to Curves, doing my workout, then speed-walking back home. I've also started paying more attention to serving sizes and my snack habits. I've lost 13 pounds and 4.5 inches, although I don't pay as much attention to the scale as I do to how my clothes are fitting. Muscle is denser and weighs more than fat, so the scale isn't a very accurate barometer of how you're doing. I was tickled when I brought some of my winter clothes out of storage - most of them are quite loose and baggy! Yay!

Madeforyouinma11
October 28th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I love this thread! Thank you Joan... I really need to get back to doing some sort of excercise. I gained weight when I quit smoking and now I have about 10 pairs of jeans that don't fit anymore. I had to go buy a couple of pairs which didn't make me happy. I really want to try and lose some of the weight. It's not so much that I don't fit into the jeans, its the fact that I feel very uncomfortable with the extra weight. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Bubby
October 28th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joan....good for you! I celebrated turning 50 by running a half marathon. Since then I haven't kept up with running or exercise like I should. Keep up the good work!!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I'm so proud of all those who have posted about moving more, losing weight, eating healthier. Way to go!

And Bubby -- you are awesome! A half marathon! Don't give up. The drive and fortitude that compelled you to run 13 miles is still in you. You can be active again . . . one step at a time.

Thank you, friends, for the encouragement. If I can be half as encouraging to you as you have been to me, my "job" as "M* Fitness Director" will be the best.

By the way, maybe "Fitness Director" is an outdated and intimidating title. Maybe I need to be the "M* Health and Wellness Sherpa." :icon_bigsmile:

pcbatiks
October 28th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Hi Joan.........love you new title! :D I'm trying to get serious about walking and hopefully jogging before too long. Need to use the weight machines at our local rec center. I feel better & sleep better when I exercise.......so why is it hard to stay motivated?! But your post and everyone else's including Shannon's will help a lot of us to get moving! So thank you for encouraging us all!

I don't guess pushing a rotary cutter and a foot pedal on the sewing machine is enough strength training........... :D

Doloris
October 28th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I have lost 35 lbs since about March. I get sciatica down my leg when I walk sometimes, but this weekend I walked all over Washington DC getting to different points along the marathon route to cheer on our group of runners. made it to 2 sites and the finish line. DS made it to 4 other sites and the finish line. I think we had about 3 or 4 other sites covered as well. lots of support along the way and lots of hugs and tears at the finish line. I have gone from a size 16 to a size 12. Working on another 10 lbs, but am happy to be where I am now.

Slamelung
October 28th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Congrats to everyone who is exercising and losing weight. Last year I lost 25 lbs. this year I gained it all back. I had rotator cuff repair a couple weeks ago and cannot work or really do much of anything so I have been eating a lot. I am now going to try to stop eating so much and try to do a little walking. Thanks for the motivation.

Nidan_07
October 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hi Joan, and other movers and shakers.....Did my usual Monday afternoon Personal Training session at the gym yesterday, along with some cardio. Will be trying to get to the gym again today between work finish and school pick up for more cardio. If I don't get to the gym, then vacuuming the house will just have to suffice today. Have a great week.