PDA

View Full Version : Monday, the start of a brand new week and Hallowe'en week as well

Monique
October 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM

Good morning friends. I just heard about the storm in England. I hope all our friends on this forum are okay.

What a day yesterday. We voted in the morning for our Liberal leader. The off to work for the municipal elections. We have 17 people vying for 7 seats. OYE!!! The turnout was more than we have ever seen and busy as heck. Hunting season starts on Saturday so that played a part in that as well. And NO I did not get any quilting done at all.

Another week ahead. Are you all ready for Hallowe'en? I am not. I guess I need to do that in the next few days. I do have all the treats bought. I need to get my pumpkin ready.

Have a great day friends. Blessings and prayers going out to those who need them. You are never very far from out thoughts.

As the saying above says, Today will never come again, so make the most of it.

Granny Judy
October 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I arrived safe and sound at Clearwater/Tampa airport...and immediately got a blast of sunshine and heat.. It's amazing where one can go in 2 hours-out of the freezer into the oven. Love it and am relaxing today with DD. Doing some brain storming on a quilt or two.

Hugs and prayers from me to all in need.

buckeyequilter
October 28th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Good morning....

Taking a minute before I get my day started to check in. I hope it's a slow day becuase I'm in a slow mood :)

Didn't do much of anything yesterday...got 1/2 a quilt pinned on the frame, can't wait to get the clips I bought to make that go much quicker. We went to the antique shops for a little while yesterday and I found a couple of things for my bedroom. I just like poking around to see what they have. I saw some Harry Potter books....didn't realize those were antiques yet :)

Where has this year gone?? I can't believe this is the last week of October already!

Judy, have a wonderful vacation! Hugs and prayers to all...have a wonderful day!

MRoy
October 28th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Good morning! No, I'm not ready for Halloween yet. I still need to buy the candy. We haven't had trick or treaters for the past couple of years but I still have treats available and the porch light on just in case a spook stops by. I'm going to put my mums back out on the porches today. I pushed them back against the house during the freezing weather. They got a little frostbite but they're still looking good. The falling leaves are stacking up so I may blow and mow them today.
I hope all our friends in England and France are safe. Prayers going out to those needing comfort.

Vonnie
October 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Good Morning everyone!

Hope the storm in England isn't as bad as predicted.

We have not bought Halloween candy in years. What we have been doing is buying snack bags of chek mix and cheetos. The kids love them and the leftovers go into DH's lunch box. So, either today or tomorrow I will go by Sam's Club and pick up a couple of boxes. I think last year we had about 2 dozen treaters. This is an ironic occasion. We spend all year long telling our kids not to accept candy from strangers except for Halloween! When my kids were little, we only took them by houses in our neighborhood and maybe to the mall. Maybe when one too many kids get poisoned the powers to be will bann trick or treating.

How many countries celebrate Halloween with trick or treating?

Bubby
October 28th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Good Morning,

I just saw the storm in England...it looks serious. My prayers go out to everyone being affected by it.

I cut out a few pillowcases yesterday for Ruby's Cyber Elves project. I hope to start sewing today after I feed the Girls and get a load of laundry going. We had a good weekend. Yesterday was all about NASCAR and the disappointing World Series game. I'm a Cardinals fan through and through. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of my Dad and Grandpa Bob taking me to the ballgames with them. I made a big pot of chili yesterday and we had that and queso dip with beef taquitos for dinner. Today I have to watch what I eat.

Today is Monday and Dottie is crying for Jeff. She will spend the whole day watching for him to come home and alternately going behind the couch to cry. On Mondays Olive hangs with me so Dottie can do her thing. It's just what happens around here every Monday. Dottie won't do anything she normally enjoys doing...not even play with the balls in the front yard.

Judy, I'm happy to hear you arrived safely. Soak up some sunshine for all of us. There must be some wonderful quilt shops where you are.

We don't get any trick-or-treaters because of where we live. We always have candy on hand just in case, but most of the time DH gets to eat it, so I always buy his favorites M&M with peanuts and Reese's cups. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!!

Wishing everyone a good Monday. Hugs & prayers to everyone who needs them.

Mpyles
October 28th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Good morning! I am off to work today! 5 days til staycation!! Yesterday DH and I drove over to my mother in laws house in licking, barbs neck of the woods. Dd and 2 of her college friends met us there. We took MIL down to Houston for lunch and visited with the kids. Gave dd some $ for some grocery and personal items as well as a kiss and a hug. It was a pretty day out...but was wishing we would have caught the leaves at their height.

This week is just filled with some follow up visits to locations to check on their food cost progress and inventories toward the endof the week.

I was really bummed about our cardinals last night.. :( screamed and yelled at the darn tv while trying to get some club home work done. Hope tonight is better...but now we have to go back to boston!

Missing blondie! Hope she gets her puter fixed soon! Prayers for all in need.

Everyone have a great day!

Iris Girl
October 28th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Morning all. Hope all our friends across the pond are doing ok and are safe in the storm. Work day here. Weekend was busy getting plastic on windows and heavy curtains up and winter clothes out. Hubby blew the first round of leaves out of the yard. I managed to get my mug rugs done for the swap. Started my sons new fleece. It will be custom as always. Double layer, this years will zip all the way down the front and have minky sherpa as the lining soooo soft. he will tell me where to put the customized pockets for his things later.

For now off to work. Have a great day all and smile. Hugs and warm wishes of healing to all that need and want

HdWench
October 28th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Watching the weather now and praying you all stay safe! Check in when you can :-)

Judy, enjoy your lovely visit with DD! Hot and sunny here still I hope November brings it down into the 70's.

Have Halloween candy already packed into Satin Wedding Bags to give out (had wedding bags for years doing nothing). Made a Halloween Fabric Box and a Fall Table runner. Yard service comes Friday to do fall trimming etc, and we get Cable modem hooked up Wed! Yeah going to be a good week, enjoy all

Carol336
October 28th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Good Monday morning everyone. Not too much on the agenda today...hope to get some more fabric boxes made for Christmas gifts.

Went to lunch/dinner yesterday afternoon with my 3 sisters. It always sounds strange to say that because for 68 years I had 4 sisters. I'm the middle of 5 girls and last year we lost our eldest sis to lung disease. We are all very close and are still devastated by our loss.
It was a great lunch though and the waitress almost had to kick us out because we just lingered and yacked for about 3 hours. Aren't sisters the bestest people in the world.
Now with that being said....none of my lovely sisters share my love of sewing. In fact, when I showed them my latest tote, my little sis said "I can't imagine why you would even want to do that" - LOL. Not a crafty lot, those girls. Although one is a cake decorator and does wonderful work with that.

Halloween - we've gone from not being able to leave the front door on halloween, to having maybe 10 trick or treaters, and now our street has gotten quite a number of young families so we're back to standing at the door the whole evening. I love to see the kiddies in their costumes so am really glad that we're getting more kids now. I have my candy at the ready and can't wait.

Halloween - is also our eldest DGD's birthday - she will be 17 this year....oh my where does the time go.

Praying for all our friends in England.....

C

mamaquilt
October 28th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I'm still around and haven't blown away yet. Yesterday and all night we had lots of storm and rain, but luckily not as bad as England. I heard from Lenie, that in the Netherlands they had code red as well.

We don't celebrate Halloween, although some US customs take over slowely. But I guess that is all money related.

I hope Blondie as well as her Mom are doing ok. I miss her.

I wish all of you quilting ladies lots of sewing and quilting this week with lots of smiles

MayinJerset
October 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Back to our everyday world, lots to catch up with like food shopping. Grandkids were here for the funeral and we are out of everything. Supermarket has a coupon for 3 bags of candy for $6 so I'll pick up some. Hate to sound crabby but for the past few years DH and I try to give out treats early to the few kids on our block and then we go out until the 8pm Halloween curfew. Wouldn't mind giving out more treats but we get vans filled with kids from other neighborhoods. Their houses are on bigger and deeper lots so the poor things have to do much more walking between houses to get some treats. Also it is annoying that their mothers drive them here so they aren't handing out any treats in their own neighborhood.

Carol, your lunch with your sisters sounds likes the ones I have with my sisters Carol and Patti. We were supposed to have lunch at my house last Friday but we met at my DIL's viewing instead. Sad to say I used to have 3 sisters and 3 brothers but sister Louise passed 6 years ago and brother Richie followed a few months after, our youngest brother Augie passed 20 years ago. Brother Jim doesn't hear so well and talks very little so he isn't interested in our sister lunch and talkfests but we know his quiet strength is always there for us.

Lisapc
October 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Good Monday morning!

Worried about the storm. It isn't yet it still feels early to be worrying about winter storms. I hope everyone comes out of it unscathed.

May: it is so nice to see you getting back to life. Maybe our prayers are helping.

Bubby: it is also nice to see you getting back to life and suffering so with dental visits. My big furry pups are both suffering from the Monday's. They have both just fallen asleep at my feet, the sad part is they cried themselves to sleep. Every Monday. Then at 2:45 they start pushing me out the front door so they can wait for Lil' Peter to get off the school bus even though he doesn't come home until 3:50. Then they wait for Peter. They don't play at all on a Monday until we are all in the house and settled.

I have no idea what is for dinner tonight, I have to run errands and want to do no more than crawl back into bed. Monday's!

Prayers to Lonna and all of those who need them. Have a quilty day and smile!

Sandy Navas
October 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM
More of the same here for me today - I'm doing a massive switcheroo with my sewing room (no, not back down the hallway). But I have to have enough space to work and I was starting to fall all over things. Zoe walked in yesterday morning and looked around, said "Nana, you sure have cleaned this place up." She looked some more and turned to me and said, "Now all you need to do is vacuum up this mess."

We've had a parade of ghosts and goblins around here the past couple days, the granddaughters are busy trying on costumes from Halloween past. Only request I've had to help with costuming is to make a weird Minion treat bag - that can be whipped out pretty quickly. I am still excited about Emily's costume - the brown paper bag with eye holes (she's the Unknown Trick or Treater). She is obsessed with the moustache craze and has a glow-in-the-dark moustache on the bag . . . where it should be. Too cute.

Okay, if I ever want to sew again I need to get my backside in gear and start moving and shaking.

Prayers going out - especially to our members who have suffered losses, those experiencing health issues, those who are down and out, and those who are facing horrific stormy weather.

Our time here on Earth is way too short not to be kind.

EnumclawGramma
October 28th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Good Monday Morning. I got an earlier than usual start this morning. Dishes done, bed made, laundry ready to be started. Last night was the first night I was able to stay in bed all night since getting sick. For several weeks I've been up and down (more up than down) for hours and hours every night. Ugh.
I made a couple fabric boxes yesterday and worked on my Secret Santa gifts as well and have a handle on both. I'm passing on the mug rug for Christmas because of the fiasco the last one became! Not ready to go there again. Or anytime soon I don't think.

Hugs and prayers to all who want/need. Missing our Blondie soooo so much!

pcbatiks
October 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Good morning everyone. This past week my DH & I went to visit his mom in Arkansas.......has a nice day visiting with her and some of her family. Then we went to my brothers about 30 minutes south of Nashville, TN. Thursday we spent some time looking around Franklin, TN. And yes, I had already scoped out The Quilting Square quilt shop. They were very friendly & had lots of pretty fabric but not very many precuts. They did have a room of all Christmas fabrics that I just stood and drooled over. But I did show amazing restraint........I bought a Grinch Christmas panel that I have been wanting and a modern quilting magazine.

Friday we spent the day in Nashville......went to Country Music Hall of Fame & the Grand Ole Opry. We enjoyed the show and they had 13 different singers or groups that night. And we headed home Saturday......long drive but always good to sleep in your own bed again.

Yesterday I spent the day catching up on the forum, washed clothes and worked on a project for my SS box.

Prayers going out to Lonna and family today.

CrazyMtnLady
October 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Good morning. It is a very very foggy morning here.

Missing Blondie and keeping Lonna and others in my thoughts and prayers.

Yesterday I was watching TV and my little pug Gator started barking and looking out the window, when I looked up there was a coyote standing about 10 feet or so from the house. I banged on the window and it ran off. I immediately went outside to count the cats. They were all safe and sound. I have never seen a coyote that close before. It was unnerving to say the least! We have had deer, turkey, rabbits and squirrels a lot...but never a coyote.

We do not have any Trick or Treaters here. We live to far out in the boonies and no one has any children that live on our road. We always have small candy bars in the freezer due to the fact that DH is diabetic and needs one now and then when his blood sugar gets too low. So if by chance someone does show up I will have something. Even with DH in Michigan there still are a few candy bars in the freezer.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Stay safe to those in the bad weather areas.

Hugs and prayers to all.

toggpine
October 28th, 2013, 06:08 PM
This is quick as we have lost power three times already today. (Windy out, or possibly a car + pole farther up the highway?)

Why is it once the power goes out, there are 20 things that need doing that require electricity? Not the least of which is realizing that your 2/3 full cup of coffee is cold.

Hurrying to get the binding fabric ironed (iron warming while I type) so I can get the stuff cut. A couple other pieces need ironing so I can continue to cut other projects if the power goes again. Also planning a back-up, heat-on-the woodstove supper option. It isn't usually out that long, but if I don't plan, well, you know.

This is certainly reminding me to get a few things in order for more wintry weather to come. *Double checking matches, lamp oil, & candle supplies.*
You all have a good one!
Hugs, Cathy