PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Quilt Guild-Sunday night the week starts anew!

Lisapc
October 28th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Good evening owls!

I read so much on this forum about guild activities and meetings and more. I do not belong to a physical guild and frankly I was thinking about it earlier and I think this is my guild.

I attend meetings, Blondie holds one every morning and a Night Owl holds one every night and I am usually in attendance. I participate in the swaps. I attend the classes, have never missed a M* tutorial yet. I love the show and tell and how it is always when it is convenient for the one who just finished and not rushed to meet a deadline for the next meeting. So I guess I claim the M* forum, my guild.

Tonight's question:

Do you belong to a guild? Please tell us all about it. What you like, what you don't what you would change?

Jean Sewing Machine
October 28th, 2013, 12:48 AM
No, but I am getting closer to joining the local one. They held their bienniel quilt show in September, and Klasien and I went. We talked to members, and were warmly invited to attend thier meeting. Unfortunately, I was busy sewing to help my friend finish her costuming for a play on the night of the meeting, and I won't be able to attend til January. I'll let you know then what I have experienced.

MayinJerset
October 28th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Thought I'd Hoot in tonight after a quiet day at home getting ourselves back together.

I belong to a physical guild as well as M*'s guild. Both offer workshops/tutorials, advice, show and tell, retreats, swaps and friendship. M* is bigger by far and has lots of quilty fabrics and stuff to buy and it has so many more members to learn from, it's only draw back is that it doesn't serve coffee and cake in between the business and program sessions of their meetings.

bkthomas
October 28th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I haven't attended one, have thought about it though....we'll see
maybe someday.
I like that this is our quilt guild though....we will have to do some research and do some of the same things they do!
That would be so cool! I know Cyndi will be looking at this and she belongs to 2, so she will know!
I nominate Cyndi of course for President or The Big Cheese or whatever they call it!!!

What do ya say Cyndi?!!!

toggpine
October 28th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Missouri Star is as close as I get.
I tried to attend a group that met at the nearest LQS. It met at kind of a bad time of the day. If I left as soon as I put Em on the bus I would still be 20 minutes late. They were nice about the few meetings I did attend, but I always felt bad about walking in during a show & tell or a demo.
I think they have one at the library, but I haven't been able to easily find any information on them. I have seen ladies in the meeting room with sewing machines after the main library is closed.
I am sure I would get a few more things done if I went to a physical meeting, as it would give me a deadline.
Oh well. You ladies and gentlemen are just fine with me!
Speaking of which - I FINISHED the quilting on the hand-dyed quilt! Now to find the piece of fabric I put aside for the binding and get that done so I can hand sew it while watching NCIS on Tuesday evening!

bkthomas
October 28th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Thought I'd Hoot in tonight after a quiet day at home getting ourselves back together.

I belong to a physical guild as well as M*'s guild. Both offer workshops/tutorials, advice, show and tell, retreats, swaps and friendship. M* is bigger by far and has lots of quilty fabrics and stuff to buy and it has so many more members to learn from, it's only draw back is that it doesn't serve coffee and cake in between the business and program sessions of their meetings.

Well May, there were a few about donuts....and we all know about Mug-Rugs....everyone, get your own mug rug, drink and snack every night when you sit down to you computer (meeting)....and we're off and running!!!

Mpyles
October 28th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I don't belong to a guild. I am hesitant to join one. I did join some clubs at my LQS. I found a couple of the ladies to be a bit snobbish as I have attended for almost a year now and some have yet to actually try to sustain a conversation with me and they are very active in the guild and have never suggested that I attend. Please, understand there are tons of wonderful women in the club who are very sweet and I won't give up the clubs as I learn so much! I think sometimes, and certainly not all people, look at me (as most times I come in my uniform from work which is a Steak 'n Shake uniform) and think I am probably a lower wage earner and not a professional. However!! I have 32 years work experience with them and run a over a million dollar a year business, and I don't just run it, I run it well. ;) some people just view it as...oh she works in fast food ....when in reality I prolly make more than they do.

Gosh....that was prolly not really the point of the topic...can you tell it hits a tender spot with me... ;)

snippet
October 28th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I haven't been to one, but I'm thinking about testing the water and going to a meeting. There are a few guilds in the city, so maybe I'll find one that will take me :)

Jean Sewing Machine
October 28th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I don't belong to a guild. I am hesitant to join one. I did join some clubs at my LQS. I found a couple of the ladies to be a bit snobbish as I have attended for almost a year now and some have yet to actually try to sustain a conversation with me and they are very active in the guild and have never suggested that I attend. Please, understand there are tons of wonderful women in the club who are very sweet and I won't give up the clubs as I learn so much! I think sometimes, and certainly not all people, look at me (as most times I come in my uniform from work which is a Steak 'n Shake uniform) and think I am probably a lower wage earner and not a professional. However!! I have 32 years work experience with them and run a over a million dollar a year business, and I don't just run it, I run it well. ;) some people just view it as...oh she works in fast food ....when in reality I prolly make more than they do.

Gosh....that was prolly not really the point of the topic...can you tell it hits a tender spot with me... ;)Hold your head up high! steak N Shake has been my favorite since I was a little kid, and that was a long time ago! We have a waitress in our local SNS that has worked for them for over 30 years, must be a good company to work for!

K. McEuen
October 28th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Mary, I have a friend that would follow you home just to smell your uniform. He loves Steak 'n Shake and he's an attorney. :D

No physical guild here either. The times they meet just don't fit my schedule.

Lisapc
October 28th, 2013, 01:20 AM

Gosh....that was prolly not really the point of the topic...can you tell it hits a tender spot with me... ;)

You are so funny. I know exactly what you are talking about though. I live about 10 minutes from the New England Textile/Quilt Museum. They have a guild or should I say "supporting Guilds" and before I quilted I was there at the museum with my son and hubby. We were their for another museum but the studio for the guilds is in the same building. All windows that I was looking into the studio from and the opposite wall was all quilts. It was beautiful. But every single woman in there looked miserable. I thought at that moment "if it isn't fun what are you doing in there?" So I am leery of them myself. Someday maybe.

By the way: My Dad is a master mechanic. He comes home from work covered head to toe in grease. Mechanics and engineers from all over the world call him for advice when something doesn't run the way it should. I have seen many people look down on him, many times. I will tell you right now that he is a brilliant individual and the uniform someone wears and the title of ones job means nothing to me. It never did. One of the most shocking moments of realization of this fact is when my aunt and uncle who are both pediatricians had their first baby and would call my mother and even me if she wasn't around desperate for advice on how to care for their newborn. Really? They were trained on how to doctor a newborn, not live with one! So I really mean it when I say that title and uniform mean nothing. If it matters to someone then it is their problem.

Lisapc
October 28th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I haven't been to one, but I'm thinking about testing the water and going to a meeting. There are a few guilds in the city, so maybe I'll find one that will take me :)

My goodness! Who wouldn't want you? You are always very nice and supportive and have a witty personality. Perfect for a guild.

pcbatiks
October 28th, 2013, 01:26 AM
I am considering joining a local quilt guild but I haven't completely convinced myself yet.

Hulamoon
October 28th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I take some classes at one of my shops once in awhile. I don't even know what a guild is. I hear it all the time but don' t know how it works.

Lindagie
October 28th, 2013, 01:47 AM
The ones around here are really too far to drive to; there is a group that meets at the lqs once a month; I think it is more informal; they have a birthday club you can join if you want, and can participate in a block of the month group, the leader usually has some sort of program or tips for the group; people can show and tell if they want, OR you can just attend and watch and listen. I keep thinking I will go and then I either forget or something comes up and I can't go. One of these days I will make it, as it sounds like a good time.

bubba
October 28th, 2013, 02:04 AM
I don't belong to a guild, but I belong to enough monthly clubs to make me think I am!!! My schedule is so busy that I don't have time right now....maybe in about six more months when I hope to have 40+ extra hours a week! :D

For now, I too belong to the guild of the Hoot Owls!!

GuitarGramma
October 28th, 2013, 02:09 AM
You wonderful M* forum folks are my only guild. I've been around some of the local guild members and I just feel like they're so much more skilled than I am that I don't feel worthy. This may be because their focus tends to be quilting and my great love is piecing.

But I'm so glad I found all of you. You completely fulfill any need I might have for a guild.

dwil23
October 28th, 2013, 02:26 AM
While I wouldn't be opposed to a local guild in the future (think - "after retirement"), I would rather spend my free time sewing at this point in my life.

MayinJerset
October 28th, 2013, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE=bkthomas;407747]Well May, there were a few about donuts....and we all know about Mug-Rugs....everyone, get your own mug rug, drink and snack every night when you sit down to you computer (meeting)....and we're off and running!!![/
QUOTE]

Just took your advice and got a cup of tea and toasted an old bagel, donuts would be preferred but grandkids ate everything else.

Tomorrow Mary, our business expert, is attending and bringing each of us a big Steak n Shake shake, make mine strawberry. Oh my God, just thought what a shake would do to me if I had one this late at night.

My best advice to anyone thinking of joining a guild is to volunteer to help out or join a small group. That way you will get to know a few guild members instead of sitting at the general meetings not knowing anyone.

shawnan
October 28th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I was a member of the local guild for a couple of years, but got tired of the "in crowd" making the rules up as things went along. I don't mind being an outsider but the rules need to be the same for everyone. Oh, I won't get started on this topic as it is in the past. LOL As a result of leaving the guild I have had more fun and learned more by taking classes at my machine dealers store. ( as well as getting a couple of new machines :D )

Kgrammiecaz
October 28th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I take some classes at one of my shops once in awhile. I don't even know what a guild is. I hear it all the time but don' t know how it works.

I domt really know either. Think I will post a thread and ask. But does not matter much, because its hard to belong to anything when you work fulltime days. The local quilt shops do everything in the hours I work. I would love to go to in person classes if only they would run some in the evenings

So for now Missouri Star works very well for me

Sew Perfect
October 28th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Hi hooters! (well not The Hooters). I do not belong to a guild. I have been invited by a few of the women in my QOV group, so I would like to go.

I do like the idea of belonging to M*s guild as well. We have good groups which include charity quilts, swaps, book clubs, and more. We have a morning get together, a night owl get together, a show and tell, great tutorials, and much, much more.

What more could a girl want?

Edited to say, I just remembered that I belong to a group called Midnighters. It isn't a guild, but we get together every month to sew on projects.

toggpine
October 28th, 2013, 05:01 AM
I am an at home mom. I am at home when the children aren't in school. That really limited my class time earlier, and now, I have a part-time job during the days. I do wish the LQS would have classes that met in the evenings. Then I could leave the kiddo with Dad for a couple of hours.
Perhaps when the new store opens they will think these things through a bit better. I don't understand why you would intentionally leave out a market share when even one "late" night a week would probably drastically increase your sales and fill classes. I have a few other marketing ideas that might bring in new customers if the new owners aren't of the same snobbish mind set.
Personally, I don't care where you work. I'm just thankful you have a job & you love to play with fabric like the rest of us!

HdWench
October 28th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Hi Night Owls - Only 1:45 am here and happy that this forum is my only guild too so far. They just sent our community newsletter around asking if anyone wanted to set up any social activities. I sent an email asking if anyone wanted to meet to sew or quilt - we'll see but my hours are wild LOL I catch the Guild of Blonde sometimes because I'm still up, then the Night Owls because I'm up or just got up. I'm pretty sure there are a couple guilds here in Tucson, 1 on the East side someone asked me to join but that's an hour drive during Non-Traffic, so no thanks. Not sure if I'm "good" enough, but that would be there problem not mine - The Quilts4Kids coordinator for this area loves me :-) and that's why I wanted to learn anyway, the benefit is meeting all of you and making a few Keepers for us!

Cyndi as Head Hoot!

:-Debbie

Suzyq
October 28th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I do belong to a guild, which i see as another name for a club, of over 80 members and meet once a month at a church hall about 45 mins from where I live. DH gets up early and drives me across the city in rush hour traffic so I can get to my meetings. We have show and tell, presentations from guest speakers and often, presentations by talented members of our guild. We also have draws for fabrics and other prizes. Halfway thru the meeting, we stop for coffee...it's a bit daunting at times with so many people in the room, and of course it gets noisey but I've learned so much and only pay a nominal fee for membership each year...we have a President, Vice- Prez, and other members of the executive. Over the last while, I've been helping out with drafting content for our guild's website which hopefully soon will be up and running. Quilting is a very popular hobby with two other guilds in the city, one with over 300 members...fortunately we have three quilt shops fairly close by so how could I possibly not want to quilt? !

cyndiofthevortex
October 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I belong to two guilds, both about 1/2 hour away from my house. One meets during the day twice a month and one at night once a month. After some initial difficulties finding a place to fit in in one of the groups, I jumped into helping with activities and committees and have now gotten to know many of the women. No real friends yet but I feel welcomed and valued at both guilds. I am taking classes sponsored by both groups, which I love and which I've found to be a great way to meet people in a small setting, instead of at a meeting filled with well over 50 people. I like both guilds very much and look forward to their meetings.

Of course I love it here and feel like this is a group that has welcomed me and cares about me personally. That's hard to find in today's world and I appreciate it beyond words. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

As for being president, thank you. The big problem is, I am now starting to sleep through the night. I am very sorry about this and feel like I am letting everyone down. Please forgive me. So I guess we all need to be Acting President!

lilmouse
October 28th, 2013, 01:32 PM

If it makes you feel any better I am still a waitress and proud of it as not everyone can do our jobs....we deal with the public every single day we work and it ain't easy.....especially when dealing with food and money!