PDA

View Full Version : Our British friends . . .

Sandy Navas
October 27th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Are bracing for a horrendous storm. Pray for their safety. It isn't looking great.

MRoy
October 27th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I wasn't aware. Thanks for letting us know Sandy.

Kelly F
October 27th, 2013, 11:40 PM
​I did not know either, thank you for the post.

Genny
October 28th, 2013, 12:02 AM
I wasn't aware either, I'm praying for their safety. Genny

Grandma G
October 28th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I just read about it. They are calling it the St. Jude storm since tomorrow is St. Jude's day. It is supposed to be the likes of something they have not seen in decades and rather than forming over the Atlantic and wearing itself out a bit it is supposed to really form over land and be more dangerous. Also supposed to hit during their rush hour. I wish the best for all those whomay be affected.

Lisapc
October 28th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Not good. Prayers to all of them.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 28th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Is this a wind rain event, or is winter snow mixed in? Prayers for our friends in haRms way!

Ok, just read about it, now I know it is like a hurricane. Reports say the Netherlands can also be affected, let's think of our forum members Klasien and Lenie and hope they aren't in harms way.

toggpine
October 28th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Oh my! I certainly hope they are getting everything squared away.
Adding a few prayers for their safety!

Mpyles
October 28th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Prayers for their safety.

Britain awaits worst storm in five years | World news | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/27/britain-storm-rain-winds-flooding)

dwil23
October 28th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I had not heard either, saying a prayer right now.

Nidan_07
October 28th, 2013, 04:08 AM
I have just watched an afternoon news bulletin with information on this. Very scary, indeed. I hope all can stay safe and out of harms way.

Swedish leo
October 28th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Hope everybody is safe!

It apperently is coming to Sweden to day to.

Stay Safe!

Eileen83flowers
October 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM
good morning it is 8-30am here in the UK.
Ive just been watching our National news, according to them the worse of the storm is currently hitting the South of the country with many homes now without electricity due to trees having blown down and breaking power lines (140,000 homes).
The port of Dover has closed so no ferry services across the North Sea at the moment, also train services are very disrupted due to tress on the line.
At the moment the storm is moving very quickly across the country and where I live is expecting to get it within the next couple of hours. It is very frightening and all we can do is stay indoors and hopefully stay safe.
I was appalled to see on the news that some people are actually risking lives to go and take photo's of the exceedingly high waves at Dover port - unbelievable!!
Thank you to all on here who have shown their support, thoughts and prayers they are all appreciated.

HdWench
October 28th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks Sandy - Never watch the news so had no idea Many prayers to all to be safe, sound wicked!

Debbie

easyquilts
October 28th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks... I didn't know, either.

Bubby
October 28th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I haven't heard about this....I will pray.

Iris Girl
October 28th, 2013, 07:22 AM
have not heard either. My wishes for safety for all going out to all

Monique
October 28th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Just heard on the news. I pray that everyone is safe.

Evilynn
October 28th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I just read on facebook about it! I have some friends from the UK, and some of them posted pictures from in front of their door. Wow! I surely hope no one gets hurt! Stay safe, British friends!

nana margaret
October 28th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I think where I live in the north east of the country we are going to miss it but my elder daughter lives in Wales and it is badly affected. One young boy has lost his life after being swept into the sea. The weather experts say it is going to pass quite quickly before moving out into the North Sea. I hope everyone stays safe.

Suzette
October 28th, 2013, 07:55 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in the path of this awful storm. Stay safe our quilty friends!!

buckeyequilter
October 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I read about that yesterday and am keeping them in my prayers. I hope all of our friends from the forum are safe.

MayinJerset
October 28th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Last year at this time we were dealing with the aftermath from Hurricane Sandy, just praying our friends across the pond don't have the same devastation.

Divine Daisy
October 28th, 2013, 05:03 PM
The storm has passed although some are still without power in the south. We were lucky 'oop north', had a bit of a huff and a puff with the cats doing the falling leave dance and it was all done.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 28th, 2013, 05:06 PM
The storm has passed although some are still without power in the south. We were lucky 'oop north', had a bit of a huff and a puff with the cats doing the falling leave dance and it was all done.
Glad to hear you are OK!

Sandy Navas
October 28th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks for letting us know you were unscathed, Daisy.

Can we have a head count from our European neighbors?

Swedish leo
October 28th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I hope that everyone is ok!

The storm has now reach Sweden and are hitting hard in the south of the country.

I live in the middle of the country and the storm should not pass this way so there are only lots of rain here.
But in the south of the country it is Hurricane winds and rains. Trees faling down and rooftops blowing of!

This is a pretty big storm!

Stay safe

Annika

Wwena
October 28th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Yes this has hit hard! In Sweden it's called Simone, this storm. I have friends on FB with no power and two trees down in the garden :S Let's hope we've seen the worst of it, we don't need another Gudrun or Per, do we Annika!

The storm itself is scary but the aftermath can be just as bad. It's really dangerous work, to try and clear the trees that have almost or completely fallen.

nana margaret
October 28th, 2013, 06:18 PM
The south of the country has had the worst of it, five people have now lost their lives due mainly to falling trees. Up in the North East we have missed it, just a few squalls and some rain - I feel very lucky tonight. It's so kind of you all to think of us over here, I hope that our other European friends aren't too badly affected.

alliek
October 28th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I hope our friends in the Netherlands are Ok. I heard it hit there also. Prayers for all who are without power and are impacted by this storm, especially now that the colder weather is imminent.

Kelly F
October 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Prayers for everyone's safety. Sounds like a nasty storm. Sorry to hear of fatalities.

Sew Perfect
October 28th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I really hope everyone is okay! I've not seen the news, so I just found out. Be safe, friends!

SallyO'Sews
October 29th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Praying for the safety of our quilty friends in the UK, Belgium, and the Netherlands, and hoping everyone is okay. Thanks for letting us know, Sandy.

Lisapc
October 29th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Would love it if Renate, Sheen and all of our other friends could check in here!!!!

Andrea F
October 29th, 2013, 05:33 AM
I hope everybody is safe, too! The weather was pretty nasty here as well the last couple of days. The bad storm hit mainly the north of Germany but we felt it here too. Not so much rain fortunately where I live, just heavy winds.

Yesterday the wind tried to blow me off of my highway lane when I drove to work. Thank god there was no car on the other lane. But today everything has calmed down. Off to work now, have a nice and peaceful day you all!

Sheena
October 29th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'm here Lisa. :)

Southern areas have been badly affected. A 17 year old girl was killed when a tree blew down onto her caravan.

I'm also 'oop north', in the North West, about 20 miles out of Wales and was expecting to get the edge of the storm, but we got virtually nothing. It's a bit blowy that's all. We did get a terrible downpour one day last week and the rain was like a waterfall over the gutters.

I'm worried for the people of the Netherlands (that's not Holland!). It's so flat and the wind will just rush right across it. Prayers being sent for you, and the other countries affected by the storm.