PDA

View Full Version : Alright, Sandy. You asked for it!

Meli
October 27th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Jim finally did take me for that long awaited drive. One of my favorite places to go is out on the west desert around the Dugway Proving Grounds. The first time I went there was mid-November, 10 years ago, on our 2nd date. He took me to see the wild horses. On the way home, he held my hand for the first time. And when he dropped me at home, he gave me the sweetest first kiss I've ever had. Ten years later, he's still kissing me that way.

But that's a different story for a different time.

59560 We took 36 down to the Pony Express Trail road, and followed that west for about 50 miles or so. Along the way we saw between 40 - 50 Pronghorn Antelope, 5 Mustangs, and a dog. The dog was obviously of mixed heritage, but not bad looking. He had a good coat on him, but was obviously hungry and had "missed a few meals" as my husband put it. We gave him two bottles of water and tried for the better part of 30+ minutes to get him in the truck. We'd have taken him home and fed him, and I'd have fought to keep him. And, honestly, if it wasn't a 2 hour drive (or more) to get out there, I'd go back tomorrow with a big bag of dog food and a leash.

Here are my favorite pictures from our outing.

Lisapc
October 27th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Get that strapping young nephew to go get the pup. He needs you! I know this was for Sandy but I love your pictures.

bkthomas
October 27th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Kgrammiecaz
October 27th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Amazing beautiful photos. Enjoyed seeing them

Tanya D
October 27th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Beautiful pictures! And I'm not sure I could have left without that gorgeous pup...I hope he'll be ok.

toggpine
October 27th, 2013, 04:45 AM
He might not be as lost as you think. He looks to have some Livestock Guardian Dog genetics in him. (Great Pyrenees, Akbash, Marema, Anatolian, or some mix.) We had a LGD that hopped the fence shortly after arriving here and was gone for two weeks. She was over 5 miles from home when I found her and she was headed back towards the house, so she had been farther a field than that.
They have incredible instincts and they want to know what's in the surrounding area as far as enemies go. Many farmers/ranchers will send 2 to 4 out to live with a herd while the stock grazes the range. They are very independent and make their own choices for the well being of their herd. If you do decide to go back after the dog, be warned. They WILL bite to get away. I have the proof on my arms from the "escapee" the day I tried to convince her to come back home.
I am glad that you gave the fellow a water break, I'm sure he appreciated it. I do hope he was only out & away from the herd on a recon. mission and that no one had dumped him out there, as that would be sad. They are resourceful and will most likely return home, or find a new flock to protect.

Your photos are beautiful and it looks like you had a nice drive! Thank you for sharing!

bkthomas
October 27th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Cathy, she actually bit you, her owner, but came home later?!

Sandy Navas
October 27th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Meli - you truly made my day!!!! I've told you before how impressive your photography skills are. I think Cathy is right on about the dog, too - but I can see why you would love to have him in your home as he's a handsome fellow.

Have to share, one time when driving through the Painted Desert, the line of traffic was l o n g and s l o w. At a 'T' in the road Al decided to move out of the line and adventure on the 'road less traveled'. We had gone about 1/2 a mile with no traffic when we were forced to stop and watch approximately 75 prong-horn antelope mosey past. We got the biggest adventure of the day and no one in that long line of traffic we abandoned got to see their beauty!!

Tell Jim never to let his kissing abilities fade!! We like the smile on your face.

ilive2craft2
October 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Meli, thanks for sharing! You have some wonderful skills with a camera and story telling.

mom4him
October 27th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Get that strapping young nephew to go get the pup. He needs you! I know this was for Sandy but I love your pictures.

Oh, MY! I agree with Lisa. That puppy needs some to love him. What a beautiful dog.

toggpine
October 27th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Yes, Kathy she did.
In her defense she had been moved from a farm in Eastern Wa that was very much different terrain than our place, we had goats not mini-horses, and we lived much closer to a road than she had ever been. I found this out after her owners "left her for a trial" and she jumped the fence. I felt bad, as they had sold the last horse and were moving ASAP. They were going to have to put her in a shelter if they couldn't find a place. They said they had someone else that was interested, and they had horses, but couldn't reach them, as they were out of town on family business.
It was all just too much for her and she bolted after about 36 hours. It took me two weeks of searching to find her. When I did, it was about 2 hours of coaxing for me to get close enough to get her collar. That was when she bit me. She didn't like being restrained and let me know by munching my arms. As soon as I let go she backed off. I headed to the urgent care to get them cleaned up and the next morning she had returned to the farm and was outside the back gate.
She would never live back inside the fence and she finally had to be put down as she began challenging cars and pacing people walking along the road. She wasn't aggressive to the people, but it creeped them out that she would walk them down the property line, keeping herself between the "intruder" and the goats. I did try to place her through the LGD rescue system, but the intake person just wanted to yell at me for letting her jump the fence. (Sorry my All-Knowing-All-Seeing hat was at the cleaners!) She really needed about 80 to 100 acres to patrol with little interference from humans and she would have been fine. It was sad for all of us, and we didn't like doing it, but I wasn't going to loose our home over a dog.
Lesson learned, no grown-up dogs unless we have met/seen them in their original environment. We have had two other successful adult transfer LGDs, and been very pleased. We are now beginning the search for dog #5 to start training to protect the livestock.
Since we have had them, we haven't lost any livestock to predators either two or four-legged. (When we lived closer in we had goats stolen, and people "shopping" for supper just wander around the property.) I'm pretty sure the one guy needed clean pants after he leaned over the barn wall to check out the goats and the blonde blob in the corner about took his face off. When he straightened up he wasn't in a much happier situation, as there was a pretty pissed lady with a pitchfork aimed at him. He left without buying anything, and I had his car tag if anybody turned up missing.
They are good dogs, loyal and affectionate, but not so much house pets. Ours really don't like being confined, even for a short time in a barn stall during horrible weather.

Mpyles
October 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Breathtaking photos!!

bkthomas
October 27th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Cathy, this story is awesome! Thank You for sharing it! I would love to read more about your farm and your animals...
....i,e. acres, how many goats, other animals, anything you care to share! Thanks!!!
The Night Owl thread might be a good place....when you're up at night maybe....