PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take small multi-vitamins?

Vonnie
October 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
DH and I want to take small vitamins and not horse pills! DH has tried the gummy vitamins - yuck! We are currently trying powdered vitamins - kinda of yucky! I have tried googling but could not find anything but yucky gummies or powdered.

There's got to be some small multi-vitamins for us older folks.

What's your favorite vitamin?

Oh yeah, I have also tried the ones by Centrum that's round and candy like - chewable - way too sweet. I know - picky picky picky!

We used to take Viactiv - chocolate chewable candy like multi-vitamins - but they quit making them.

bdmsmith
October 26th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I love the Viactive calcium, vitamin d, vitamin k combination that is a chewable caramel. I don't know if they have a multi-vitamin with more in it but I got mine at Walmart. I got it mainly because the Dr did a lab test and said I was low on Vit D and recommended I take a daily supplement so that's why I chose that one----well, that and because I love caramel!

Sheena
October 26th, 2013, 03:39 PM
You could try natural fruit and veg!

Hulamoon
October 26th, 2013, 04:02 PM
How about getting a pill cutter at the drug store and cut them in half. When I was taking care of my aunt she was taking a half dose of something and I split them for her while I was watching tv. Stick them back in the bottle and just remember to take two:)

Musical_Starling
October 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM
How about getting a pill cutter at the drug store and cut them in half. When I was taking care of my aunt she was taking a half dose of something and I split them for her while I was watching tv. Stick them back in the bottle and just remember to take two:)

Not sure how true it is, but I was told in nursing school that you shouldn't split a pill UNLESS it has one of those lines in the centre to divide it because that lets you know that the medication is evenly dispersed between both sides but if it doesn't have a cutting line then the medication may not be evenly spread across the pill and you might end up with more of something in one half and less in the other half. Again, not entirely sure how accurate it is, but just a consideration :) We do have some nurses here on the board, maybe they'll know for sure.

There is a company that makes a product called "Tiny Tabs": Tiny Tabs MultiŽ - Easy to swallow multi-vitamin (http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-vitamins-nutrients/tiny-tabs-multi) I've never tried them (or seen them before) but they might be worth a try?

Hulamoon
October 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
That's true Dee, her pills had the line.

HdWench
October 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
ugh Horse pills I got some of the gummy bear chewables (Walgeens) that are made more from fruit - not as horrible as those fake sugar ones... Also must take 2000 Mgs of Vit D per day - I ran out last March and still working on back to "normal" in a year

Good luck with the multi-vitamins were the size of those teeny Vit D pills haha

Debbie

Wwena
October 26th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I eat food! No vitamins supplements. Are you sure you need them? I've read so many reports saying they are at best a waste of money and at worse quite harmful. You can easily OD some vitamins with horrible effects.

Not saying this to be a smartass, just want you to be careful and not take them without due consideration. :)

Hulamoon
October 26th, 2013, 06:12 PM
When I went to the doc I was lacking B and D. So I got B shots and D pills. Sometimes if you can't handle the foods those come from I think they are good to take.

nyscpa2be
October 26th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I can't provide any perspective on the smaller pills, as my family shares (within the household) large bottles of Multi, C and D, but I can say that I am right there with you on the huge pills - I hate swallowing them. I'm on multi for general, C to keep me from getting sick (though I am sick right now), and D because of depression. I can eat citrus in moderation because of my meds, and very little dairy products, hence the D.

Hulamoon
October 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Amy my doc said not to take d at the same time as another vitamin at the same time. They will knock each other out. Don't know how that works. need to look that up. Were you told that?

nyscpa2be
October 26th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Amy my doc said not to take d at the same time as another vitamin at the same time. They will knock each other out. Don't know how that works. need to look that up. Were you told that?

No, I never heard that before. I'll ask next time I'm at the doctor. Thanks for the tip! :)
Although, if I was taking meds in separate doses like that, my med schedule would be controlling my life - I'm currently on about 14 pills a day in three doses, one of which must be separate from all others first thing in the morning, 8 at breakfast, and 5 at bed. I can't wait to get that load down, but I've been told I need to be on my current regimen for about a year before reductions can occur, so I have about 11 months to go.

Vonnie
October 26th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info! I wish I could get all the vitamins from natural sources but, Dr has put me on super Vit D pills twice already (50,000 iu) once a week for several months due to low vit D in blood work. Also, even though I try to eat dairy, my body is getting to where it does not digest it the way it should.

Will check at the local Health Food Store for those tiny tabs. Sounds like it will be a good choice.

Had not heard of problems with combining pills. Will check with my Dr next time or even a Pharmacist. It's almost time for a refill on my blood pressure meds so will check at the Pharmacy - they are always real helpful with the info.

Again, thanks for the info and the advice.

Hulamoon
October 26th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Please don't take my advice on the mixing of vitamins. It was just one doctor that said the D won't be as effective. I tried to look it up and you know when you do that you could be searching for hours.

I don't want to be one of those someone told me this kind of people. lol

nyscpa2be
October 26th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Please don't take my advice on the mixing of vitamins. It was just one doctor that said the D won't be as effective. I tried to look it up and you know when you do that you could be searching for hours.

I don't want to be one of those someone told me this kind of people. lol

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. And as far as medical knowledge goes, I am clueless. For tax knowledge however, I have read a portion of the IRS code - which is a HUGE set of books, constantly changing. We all have our own strengths it seems - I'm still trying to figure out if quilting is one of mine. :)