PDA

View Full Version : Man down.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 26th, 2013, 06:47 AM
At my office, we have a inside joke when somebody is sick or absent where we say "man down."

Well I've been the (wo)man down for the last day. Out of the blue, I had a terrible back spasm that took my breath away and sent me to the floor flat on my back, unable to move.

I spent most of yesterday on a heating pad and in various positions of discomfort. I'm up and about this morning (awake at my usual 4:00 am) and feel like it's about 50% better.

I was so hoping to sew today. I entered a quilt swap and even though I finished my quilt, I had hoped to make a small zipper bag as an extra goodie for my quilt buddy. Keep your fingers crossed!

Don't worry, your M* Fitness Director (my self-proclaimed title; kind of like cruise director without the fake smile) will be back on Monday with my regular report and encouragement. I ordered new running shoes this week and I've got to get better so I can try them out.

By the way, for you youngsters among us, it sucks to get old. Imagine how decrepit I'd be if I weren't trying to stay active. If you don't use it, you lose it.

lilmouse
October 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Hope you feel better soon...I have had back spasms for years now and they have to get pretty bad now to put me down...just doesn't happen...they sure are painful though...my favorite relief was an epsom salt bath as hot as I could tolerate...used to work miracles; at least for a little while!

Granny Judy
October 26th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I keep a hot tub at the ready for those days when the muscles are not wanting to stretch and give.. also very painful and hard to get moving type of days. Hope you are back on your feet soon and without pain. Getting old is definitely not for the WEAK..

easyquilts
October 26th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I hope your back feels lots better soon.....

Monique
October 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Feel better soon.

Sandy Navas
October 26th, 2013, 11:34 AM
EMPATHY abounds. BTDTGTTS

I moved a large cabinet by myself yesterday and last night I could hardly make it to bed!! Much better today, so I'm sending you lots of healthy and strong back muscles. Hate those spasms!!!!

Lisapc
October 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM
If you don't use it you lose it! That is the truest statement I have ever heard about the body.

I fight with that using it thing because of the Lupus but did sort of O.K. this past week. I am looking forward to your posts as a motivation for me.

Take care of you and feel better!

MRoy
October 26th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I hope you're feeling better soon. I have unexpected "catches" in my back sometimes. The muscle spasms cause me to walk crooked. Looks funny but doesn't feel that way. LOL... The wraps you can wear that are heat only usually help me.

Hulamoon
October 26th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I hope you feel better soon too.:)

I have sciatica right now. I was born with some disks fused and was in a full cast after I was born. Then I became a baker/pastry cook and then my upper back was going out. Chiropractor and massages helped. But quiting that job even more. lol

I'm having a hard time standing for long periods. I need to walk more!

nyscpa2be
October 26th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I hate getting muscle spasms - mine come in right above my shoulder blades when I bend over, so I can't stand up. Hope you feel better soon!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 26th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I'm grateful for your encouragement, and sorry to hear so many others have similar issues.

I ended up making a second zipper bag this afternoon. I'm pretty stiff, but getting up to move frequently, hoping tomorrow brings no stiffness, no pain, and full range of movement.

Myrna -- I'll have to try the patches/wraps. My daughter is a college tennis player and has a tricky shoulder and she wears them all the time. I totally forgot about that option. Thanks for the reminder!