PDA

View Full Version : Sewing

Coppertopquilter
October 25th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I am I the only quilter that stinks at sewing anything besides a quilt? I have been working on little mans Halloween costume, popeye, and I want to rip my hair out! Whenever it comes to anything non quilting related I stink at it! :/

PeggyM
October 25th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Sewing vs quilting requires two different brains. My sister is making my granddaughter's Halloween costume because I'm sure I'll screw it up. She offered. Thanks to Kiki!

Coppertopquilter
October 25th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah I'm starting to realize that. Wish I was good at both but I will stick with just being a quilter

auntiemern
October 25th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I cannot 'sew' bit. But can somehow manage to cut pieces of fabric apart, sew them back together, and have a quilt. So no, you are not alone.

easyquilts
October 25th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I am I the only quilter that stinks at sewing anything besides a quilt? I have been working on little mans Halloween costume, popeye, and I want to rip my hair out! Whenever it comes to anything non quilting related I stink at it! :/

Sewing, and quilting are two different animals.... I 'm not the greatest quilter, but I am positively horrible at sewing...

People often assume that if you quilt, you can sew.... Sometimes that is true, but not always...

Pandabear
October 25th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I can make simple quilts and I can make purses. I can not make clothing.

toggpine
October 26th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I started out sewing clothes and moved to quilts. When I go back and try to sew clothes, even simple stuff like PJ pants, I have the hardest time. I just can't deal with the bigger seam allowances!

I'd much rather sew quilts! There is so much less fiddley stuff with a quilt, and they ALWAYS fit the person perfectly!

Lisapc
October 26th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I sew clothes. I had a heck of a time with learning the 1/4 inch and scant 1/4 inch seam. What I love about quilting is that most of the time for me it is straight lines. I am used to curves and the straight lines were a bit of a challenge.

I really think that for sewing clothing you need someone to show you where as with quilting you can see it done and do it. I much prefer quilting because it so creative. That being said I had my DD and my son request pajamas tonight. So I will be going through my clothing fabric to see if I have the right stuff for what they want. If not it is order time.

Stacie
October 26th, 2013, 11:22 PM
I agree! I've known how to sew with a pattern since I was a teen but it's SO DIFFICULT! I'm working on a Ariel dress for my daughter to wear to spirit week at school and it's killing me! 5 hours to make the skirt and that's the easiest part...I'm longing for cotton fabric, straight stitches and my rotary cutter. (Disney day is Tuesday & Thursday is character day...she wants a elf dress from The Lord of the Rings. not sure that's going to happen.)Sigh

Coppertopquilter
October 27th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Whelp I spent prob ten hours on my sons popeye costume and when I went to put it on over his head I didn't take in the consideration the fact I would have to stretch it and all my seams busted and the costume practically exploded. He's going to be a pumpkin now. Making costumes is overrated