PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday - No Fooling!

Blondie
April 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/Days/TGIF-3.jpg

Happy Friday! I am wondering who I can who-do today. These old Friday gals at the salon are pretty hard to fool. I reckon I may tell them I am retiring. Hmmmm.

I reckon Mother Nature is having her own April 1st for all you Northern gals. I am sorry that you are getting more snow! I was never so thankful as I was to see the snow leave as quickly as it came earlier this week. Quick, find that stinking ground hog. Hold his little head under water until the bubbles stop floating up.

Rebecca, I love grits. I mean I love grits. Luscious just brought home a huge bag of grits yesterday. They are the full bodied type, as in roughly mill ground. I like mine with butter and of course, salt and pepper. When I first left home and was living in an apt in SC, I was so homesick if I heard anyone say Mother. One night, another student in the apts came over and we decided to make grits and gravy. OMG, it was soooo bad and sooo not like my Mom's. We overcooked them in too little water and needed to almost sandblast them out of the pot. The gravy was better and we fried some fatback and bacon to go with. Maybe I will make some up this morning and think of you. Comfort food to be sure.

Off to make some grits and bacon.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

llm161
April 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
Happy April Food's Day Blondie. Yes, I'm one of those northern girls and the snow started at around 6:30 am. Temp is rising though so our little dusting will turn into a mucky mess. And the plant farm opens today . . . . . I'm not rushing into work.

suzette58
April 1st, 2011, 08:36 AM
Good morning everyone.
I am lucky we are only getting rain. But, all day. Oh well. I decided to take the day off and spend it in my studio. I want to get my great neice's quilt quilted. I got my blocks for the One Star Quilt done. Have a great day.

Monique
April 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
Good morning Blondie Linda and Suzette. We got a dusting of snow here too. "UGH". Oh well it will disappear later. OMG I just looked out the window and the snowflakes are huge. GIANT ones. Crap!!

Well ladies I hate to tell you this as I am VERY disappointed but my trip to Lancaster and Cincinatti is CANCELLED. Man that sucks. I was so looking forward to it.

OK NOT!! GOTCHA. Happy April Fool's Day.

My granddaughter turned 1 yesterday. It is hard to believe that it has been a year already. I get to see her this weekend, because the family is coming tonight and staying the weekend. Stag party tomorrow night. I have lots to do so I better get cracking.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Monique

Loonwatcher
April 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hi all! Blondie, I've never had grits; but honestly they sound gross. Guess I'll have to give them a try someday. You don't find them up here. The big storm that was supposed to start at midnight has just started lightly snowing and the expected accumulation has been decreased from 14" to 8". But then continue into tomorrow with rain. We have the annual "Adventure Games" in town this weekend. That's a team run, canoe/kayak, bike and cross country ski race. And the weather is going to mess that up big time. They're talking about cancelling the water part which is the best part for us observers. Oh well, Spring's coming. I just wish it was here already like the calendar says.

Have a great day!

Texsam
April 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM
No fooling it's really Friday! Yea!! Because Wednesday played an early April Fool's trick on me and made me think it was Thursday. So I had to have two Thursdays this week. Man I hate when that happens!:icon_bah:

janluna
April 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Good morning all! Blondie It's me who loves the grits. Make an extra bowl and I'll be right down.
There is nothing better with butter, salt, pepper and an over easy egg. MM MM I like the bacon too. I'll bring the bacon it's in my freezer and by the time I get there it should be thawed. Maybe I'll have to send you some money and you could buy me some of the good grits like you described. I'll include tax and postage. Just tell me how much it will be. I haven't had them in so long.
Well, I've been doing laundry since 5 A.M. and I'm getting tired already. I have no energy.
The weather man tells me that we won't get any snow as it's too far east of us. However we may get 3 inches of rain. Can you say FLOOD. That in one day, and he's calling for rain for the next week. I did have the giant snowflakes the other morning though. They were just so beautiful and I didn't mind them. Besides they melted by 2 p.m. It's dark and humid and wet. ugh!
The dryer just stopped. Gotta go and fold and hang clothes before they wrinkle. I only iron my Quilt pieces! LOL Have a great day everyone. Hugs, and God Bless, Jan L

ginampls
April 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM
me too. on the grits... perhaps they are good. but i have never made them... i will try them some time... just not sure when...The movie My cousin vinny" "what is a grit... ?"

yep it snowed here too. b ut they say it will get to 43 today... and so it shall melt... yeh melting... oh mud... i am hoping for green grass soon... no fun right now... my friend Laurie is heading to fargo to help with the sandbagging... so that would be good. i am planning to go grocery shopping and stocking the staple things... and tin foil and zipper bags. and tp... floor soap. and auto dish soap... you know the good stuff... oh magic eraser sponges!!! love those things!!!

so i need to dash off... god morning every one...

janluna
April 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry Rebecca, I thought Blondie read my post and thought you were me. She must not have seen mine. I apologize to both you and Blondie. lol Hugs, Jan L

middlesis1966
April 1st, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hi all! Its nice to see all the lovers of grits. I however am not. I love homeny but not when they turn it to grits. O well enjoy them.
I am so glad that it finally starting to warm up. Im ready. Bikini here I come, NOT! There are few things that the world isnt ready for and thats one of them.
Well I start a new type of chemo today. Im a bit nervous. I dont know what it will do to me, but Im covered in prayer so that helps ease me so. At least I know it wont cause my hair to fall out cause its already gone. The other type of chemo took that. Im just so glad that Im done with that type. Man was it ever a strong one. Now I know why they called it the red devil, whew.
Well all I better get going so I can put the game face on for my mom. She insists on taking me to treatment and I dont ever want her to see me even the tinest bit down. Shes had a rough time with this so I want het to know Im gonna be alright. Have a great day all!!!!

Katherine Vickery Ringo
April 1st, 2011, 10:21 AM
<3 me some grits! Lots of butter, salt and bacon mixed in.

debinmalaga
April 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Good morning all! Paula, good luck with the new treatment!

mamaquilt
April 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks alot to the Quilting Forum for the Birthday wishes. No April fool!!

Sandy Navas
April 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Can't believe I am still awake right now. I couldn't sleep last night (too many cups of coffee with a late dinner), so I got up and hit the sewing room. Got three quilt tops cut out - 365 blocks sewn up for one of them. Whew!!! Smoking machine!! I then got about 3/4 of a 1" block Irish Chain done. It is going to be so spectacular. Every seam lined up as it should. I was feeling great. BUT, the applique was calling and I just had to try it before it hit me . . . .

This is April Fool's Day!!

patticakes
April 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Woooo Hoooo! I am back! Thank you all for the words of support, I was keeping up on my IPhone but no time to post.
Seems so strange to not have to get up at 4:15 am and get ready for work! I have one more paid week of tying up loose ends at home, then next week I can submit the time for the 3 weeks of vacation time that I have not used yet. I have a tiny cushion and no bills this week so with the vacation pay I can afford to open the window for alittle breathing time as Blondie suggested. Now, if I could just get some grits from her!! I absolutely love grits and when BF and I travel south I always eat his and mine. Oink, oink I know but us nothern girls have to get our quota of grits when we can!
I was up in the middle of the night catching up with all the daily chit chats and hope to catch up to each of you soon. Started to write a post but my mental state was weird (you know how things always seem more dramatic at night and then the next day you think - what was I thinking???) anyway....I typed part if it twice and it kept just disappearing, so I thought it wasn't meant to be.
Cleaning is on my agenda today since BF now thinks he has a housewife. He is old fashioned and loving it...LOL. He better be old fashioned enough to kick in half on his share of the bills now too!
Well....off to clean 4 days worth of neglect out of my home!
Out like a trout!

sally
April 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM
Morning all...We don't have grits down here in Canada...well not in my part in any event. You won't find biscuits and gravey either on our menus. Porridge yes...
What a HORRIBLE last two days...I took the day off just to get back on track. First off on Thurs I had one of those days where I was feeling sorry for myself. Feeling old and unhappy with my personal appearance. Bad hair, wrinkles that sort of stuff. Then I come in to work yesterday (I think they choose yesterday so no one would believe it was an April Fools joke) to find out that my boss had been "let go". In other words fired. No one knows why beyond the big wigs who were there to break the news to us stated "they were going in different directions". Very scary. As management he had no protection from the union. As the senior person there a lot are asking me if I will apply for his job and I said NO way. This is the second boss to be " let go" and with only 3.5 years till my retirement it is not worth the risk even with the pay increase. I liked this guy. He was a good leader. Oh at times he had listiening problems but that is a guy thing...:lol: He had over 22 years with the outfit. Really sad ending. Every one is in shock. Well today is overcast How fitting! I am going to spend it sewing. Always makes me feel better! Thanks for listening!

sewsoft
April 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Blondie the grits and Gravy sounds so good. I am so a southern gal my family is from the south. Hi to all on the friday:icon_wave:. Take care

Loonwatcher
April 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Paula, good luck with the new treatment. Hope it does the job. Hugs,

sassyquilter
April 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Happy April 1st! No snow here in VA, but I can sure appreciate some grits and bacon:) YUM.

rebeccas-sewing
April 1st, 2011, 02:38 PM
You're definitely getting me in the mood for grits! I'll have to buy some when I'm home. I doubt they have grits in London. They have bacon over here but it's just not the same. Enjoy those grits! I sure hope your grit cookin' skills have improved, otherwise, LL might need to get busy in the kitchen!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/Days/TGIF-3.jpg

Happy Friday! I am wondering who I can who-do today. These old Friday gals at the salon are pretty hard to fool. I reckon I may tell them I am retiring. Hmmmm.

I reckon Mother Nature is having her own April 1st for all you Northern gals. I am sorry that you are getting more snow! I was never so thankful as I was to see the snow leave as quickly as it came earlier this week. Quick, find that stinking ground hog. Hold his little head under water until the bubbles stop floating up.

Rebecca, I love grits. I mean I love grits. Luscious just brought home a huge bag of grits yesterday. They are the full bodied type, as in roughly mill ground. I like mine with butter and of course, salt and pepper. When I first left home and was living in an apt in SC, I was so homesick if I heard anyone say Mother. One night, another student in the apts came over and we decided to make grits and gravy. OMG, it was soooo bad and sooo not like my Mom's. We overcooked them in too little water and needed to almost sandblast them out of the pot. The gravy was better and we fried some fatback and bacon to go with. Maybe I will make some up this morning and think of you. Comfort food to be sure.

Off to make some grits and bacon.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

rebeccas-sewing
April 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Wow! You really had me fooled for a minute there. I am so gullible (sp?). I was thinking I need to buy the same coffee you're drinking. LOL
Can't believe I am still awake right now. I couldn't sleep last night (too many cups of coffee with a late dinner), so I got up and hit the sewing room. Got three quilt tops cut out - 365 blocks sewn up for one of them. Whew!!! Smoking machine!! I then got about 3/4 of a 1" block Irish Chain done. It is going to be so spectacular. Every seam lined up as it should. I was feeling great. BUT, the applique was calling and I just had to try it before it hit me . . . .

This is April Fool's Day!!

toggpine
April 1st, 2011, 02:53 PM
Love corn, "UGH!" to the hominy, grits and polenta. I know they are good for you (lots of viatmins & minerals), but I can't help but think that the texture is like somebody already chewed your tortilla chips. Gehhh!
Sign me up for the biscuits and gravy though! I think that is one of the main reasons my husband married me. He had never had them before. Hmmm. Maybe that is what I'll make him for his birthday supper tonight! Not really on our diets anymore, but if you can't splurge on your birthday, when?
I got all of the wedding blocks sewn, and then realized I was one short and one has a duplicate sentiment on it. It's a huge signature quilt that the wedding guests wrote stuff on. Not everybody signed both the book and the quilt, so I filled in a few blocks with some wise advice. Apparently I got distracted and repeated a block from the list. Now I have to either tear the bock apart and replace the center square, or make a new one, Grrr. So, I am two away from being able to start assembling the rows. I think I'm gonna chuck it back in the bag and finish the Christmas block that came in last week and then tinker with the Wild Thing blocks until that stack bugs me in to action.
I have some errands to run today and a stop at the grocery for the sausage for the gravy. Sewing will be an activity for this evening. I might even get the Emster and I to the pool for a swim with Nana today.
I am looking like a genius today. A wet one, but still. I decided to go ahead and mow the lawn yesterday afternoon since the sun was out and the wind was drying the grass a bit. Today it is just dumping. Ha!
Paula: I hope that your new treatment goes well.
To everybody else: Have a great day and take care!
Hugs! Cathy

rebeccas-sewing
April 1st, 2011, 03:23 PM
Here's an interesting thought! Joe just darted down the hall in his birthday suit headed for the shower. I exclaimed, "Honey, you're naked!" He said, "Yep that's how I came into this world." He said, "We come into this world naked why don't we go out naked?" I never thought about it, but it does seems kinda silly to bury people in their clothes. hahahhaha!

quiltingtrish
April 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM
That's too funny Rebecca! I never thought about it either.
Grits. Really can't think of one thing I like about them. And, I had a blister from them when they dripped on my thumb during basic training when I had to serve them at breakfast one morning doing my chow hall duty - that sucker hurt for about a week!
Darn it - missed the daily deal. And I like that line. Got up late and ran around like a chicken this morning to get to work on time, no time to check out the layer cake. My hope is that tomorrow the layer cake is a really pretty one that I want.
Guess I have to bite the bullet and work on DS #1's taxes. Do them online and have to figure them out on DH's computer when he's not here - so that's tonight. Still waiting on Odie's information to get his done and then there are ours. What a pain in the patootie!

No snow here. Thank goodness. Hope everyone that got some - it melts fast!

Hope you all have a great Friday night. How are you doing with your new chemo treatment tonight Laura? Keeping you in my prayers Hon.

Hugs,

patticakes
April 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Sandy you are too funny. I keep forgetting it is April 1st! I hope that isn't why my name is posted as the winner in the Giveaway!! Wow...my horoscope actually said I would "get a windfall today"! I am not kidding!
It is truly a blessing!
Patti

Blondie
April 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/funnies/happybunny.jpg

Good Evening Ladies
I have been home about an hour. What a long day. Thank the Lord my Mom decided to make us dinner this evening.
Good thing I was in a chipper mood today at work. Those old gals really needed some cheering up. Our predictable radio station played all the songs from the 80's that are still new to these gals. I have to say, Bob Seger is one of their favorites. They have never seen Risky Business with Tom Cruise, so whenever Old Time Rock and Roll comes on the radio, they think I am so clever playing air guitar and pretending to sing. I need at nap after that one. So today when it came on the radio, they all said Blondie, DANCE! I told them I had pulled a muscle and couldn't do more than roll hair. My personal little April Fool for them. But I still can't move like I used to.
It was also so windy today, several women brought their own personal favorite hair spray. LOL. Yep, guarenteed to stop a bird in flight. Love these gals, hope you don't think I am being disrepectful. You just have to find your humor where you can find it.

Hubs is looking over the almanac. That means he is getting serious about planting time soon. As I mentioned the other day, I have some seedlings under light doing well. I told him of the grits thing of this morning and he said, Shoot honey, it's just corn.

I know that grits are a love or hate thing. Few are in between. I have tasted some fairly nasty grits, if that is possible. If they are too runny, nope, that's farina or something. Give me a stout bowl with butter, salt and pepper. And I will take bacon or sausage crumbled up in it, or gravy over it, or, And I did make some this morning, Jan. Wish you could've shared some with me. As my dear Daddy would often say, That was so good, a billy goat would jump up and smack it's own tail. I will gladly send you some. And you too, Patti!

Okay ladies, I am toddling off to find that Luscious Larry and see if he will play footsies.

Hey Patti, I'm gonna split like a pea.

middlesis1966
April 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi all! Well Im dong good on this type of chemo. Whew am I glad. Im not as wiped out and feeling like I'm in a fog. Yahoo! I do still have to watch my white blood cell counts, but thats ok with me. Im doing carts wheels right know. Mental cart wheels that is. My sons GF comes up and she has a look and was kinda scared to say something to me. Well needless to say I was like Chelce what is it. So goes I'm pregnant. Omg I didnt know what to say. I really wanted to say what I was thinking, but I didnt. Then she goes April Fools. I didnt know if I wanted to ring her neck or do the dance of joy. She just laughed and laughed. My rotten son put her up to it. He knows if he did I he my be in the hospital before he said April Fools, lol.
Hows was your April Fools day all?

Sandy Navas
April 1st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Paula, I'd still ring my rotten son's neck if that was him behind that trick! I am so pleased that this round of chemo seems to be doing well for you. Sure hope it holds that way!!

I finished all my swap blocks this afternoon and then started working on machine quilting Zoe's quilt. Wouldn't you know my tension 'button' twisted about halfway through what I did and I didn't catch it so I'll have to do part of it over again.

Had three of the DGDs to the skating rink this afternoon - they always seem to find a way to fill up on candy when I'm not looking. I think their daddy slips them his change. Ugh!!

Al wants to get the mowers out tomorrow - probably the only nice day we're going to have here for a while. I am anxious to smell the cut grass.

Blondie - grew up with grits but in this part of the country we eat them with sugar, butter, and rich cream - or at least that's how my family did it. Leftovers were refrigerated and then sliced in the morning, fried in bacon fat and served with maple syrup. I'll go out of my way for grits.

Patti - does this mean you don't go back into the shop?

Trish - what branch of service? I was in WAC during Viet Nam - stationed at William Beaumont General Hospital, El Paso, TX.

I sure hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

patticakes
April 2nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Patti - does this mean you don't go back into the shop?

No shop to go back to, packed the whole thing up and shipped it out. Just one more week of working at home to tie up loose ends and then I am done. Felt kind of lost today but relieved it's all over.
Going to concentrate on quilting for a while! :-)

toggpine
April 2nd, 2011, 12:43 AM
I gave my daughter to a strange old man at the gas station today.

OK, so after I had lunch with Mom I went to fill up the gas tank at the Native American Reservation gas station ($0.30 less than every where else!) As I was filling up, my husband pulled in on his way home. He got out of work early and needed to fill up his little truck too. Nothing would do, but that Em went home with her dad! So we swapped out the car seat and she rode home with Daddy! I may have married him, but that doesn't make him any less strange, and he is another year older today. No April Fool's on that.

I just made biscuits and gravy for supper, NO grits, and have a pan of dark chocolate brownies in the oven for dessert. Apple pie would have made him happier, but I didn't take the time to make one. I splurged on ME and used my gift card at Joann's and then took back the Bath & BodyWorks stuff that I can't use. It was sooooo nice to be able to shop without having to worry what Em was getting into. Sometimes a shopping trip, even window shopping, is just what a girl needs as a pick-me-up!

Paula, I am glad that that you are doing well with your new treatment. Patti, congrats on your quilter's cash!
Everybody else have a good evening! I'm off to play with some crayons with Emily.
Hugs! Cathy

quiltingtrish
April 2nd, 2011, 12:57 AM
Good to hear you are doing well with this round of chemo Paula. I was thinking about you today and throwing up a prayer. :)

Sandy - I was Army - communications for 3 yrs on active duty, then another year in the guard - supposed to be in accounting which was a bust so did another 16 in the Reserves doing paperwork stuff for the soldiers coming or going when they got activated. Mostly was in Germany and Texas. Doesn't seem like I did 20 yrs. of it. 79 thru 2000. There ya have it!

Hugs,