PDA

View Full Version : I had to laugh...

kensington
October 25th, 2013, 05:27 AM
I really did. So, it's after 3 in the morning, I'm bored out of my gourd, surfing Pinterest. I come across this pin for.... Drum roll please.... "Crock Pot Oatmeal".

I almost fell out of my chair. (Don't judge me) LOL. Come on... If you need a Crock Pot to make Oatmeal. Life is too hard for you. Give up...

I just had to laugh. (Don't judge me). :icon_heh:

Jean Sewing Machine
October 25th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Go to bed, girl! You are getting in to Pinterest way too deep!

Bubby
October 25th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I agree about the oatmeal...

cathy-b-quiltin
October 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Ooh gosh! I've heard It all now!!! Lol

SisterDi
October 25th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I'm not a big fan of oatmeal, I am forced to eat it for days at the end of the month when the groceries run out, but I think the point of crockpot oatmeal is that they use steel cut oats, not quick or instant.

New York Sue
October 25th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I have a work acquaintance who thinks she's Martha Stewart.
You know the kind.
'I've been up since 6am, have split a pile of wood after changing the linens on all the beds, and made a batch of banana bread. And I have oatmeal simmering in the crock pot. And it's only 9 o'clock'......

BLAT! (that would be me, busting a gut in laughter...)

Really? You blew your cover, Martha, with the 'crock pot oatmeal'....

Sandy Navas
October 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
It ain't no good unless it's simmered with raisins and just the 'perfect' consistency. Al likes his THICK and I like mine less than thick and the kids won't eat it unless their spoons stand up straight into the air . . . crock pot? Who has the time?

bubba
October 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM
My mom used to make that every winter morning it seemed, and I liked it as a child. Now the only oatmeal I eat is either instant Maple & Brown Sugar or in no bake chocolate cookies!!

laf512
October 25th, 2013, 12:07 PM
We love the crockpot oatmeal here. I guess I need to give up on life. LOL! It's not just plain oatmeal...it's steel cut oats cooked with apples. I personally like waking up to breakfast already cooked and waiting for the kids that wake up at 6am and want their breakfast immediately! I'd rather not spend 30 minutes or so cooking oatmeal in the morning when I can have it in the crockpot in 5 min at night. I have no shame even if you all think I'm lame. It's so much tastier and healthier than those instant packs loaded with sugar.

Hulamoon
October 25th, 2013, 12:07 PM
lol It does sound a little silly. I just buy the instant. But I went and looked at the recipe and it sort of makes sense because of the steel oats. Never tried those before. It's like soaking beans over night.

Cat n bull
October 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I LOVE!! steel cut oats. YUM.

Having it hot and ready and cooked with apples when you wake up in the morning instead of having to wait the 30-40 minutes it takes to make it sounds like a excellent idea to me!

No comparison to the instant stuff in a packet.

lynnl55
October 25th, 2013, 12:18 PM
It's a great recipe for group homes...midnight staff starts it...day staff serves it !

auntiemern
October 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM
OK, I don't know what steel cut oat are, but I also don't eat instant, can't stand the gooey stuff. I eat the quick cooking, and that is fine with me. Can't eat them though without butter, cinnamon, sugar and milk. I guess if you use the kind that take 40 minutes to cook, I can see why you would like the crock pot ones. With all those crockpot meals out there, I guess I need to get reaquainted with mine.

buckeyequilter
October 25th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I like oatmeal but I use the quick oats. Can't stand the instant! We don't eat enough to make it in a crock pot but it sounds interesting if you have a family.

Hulamoon
October 25th, 2013, 01:20 PM
The recipe I looked at said you can put it in the fridge and reheat in a microwave. I have a smaller pot, so I might try half a recipe for the fun of it.

laf512
October 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I'm planning on making this recipe for tomorrow morning :)

Crockpot Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe - Wanna Bite (http://wannabite.com/crockpot-pumpkin-oatmeal-recipe/)

Suzette
October 25th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I have heard of using the crock pot for oatmeal before. I don't see the point, but I would never judge someone who made it that way. To each his own! :icon_happy:

As for me, I buy the old-fashioned oats (I guess you could equate them to steal cut, but they are not instant or even quick cooking oats - neither of which I like), and just add some water, throw it in the microwave for about a minute or two and . . . ta da . . . delicious oatmeal! But I like mine a bit "chewy", not gooey and pasty. Throw in some cinnamon, a little honey to sweeten it, a splash of almond milk and if I'm feeling adventurous that morning, golden raisins. Yum!!! :icon_happy:

kensington
October 25th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I don't eat the instant. Bleh! But, I like the quick and the microwave does me fine. Breakfast in five. I grew up, you put the tea pot on the stove, in five minutes you poured it over oats, you did not stir, and you had oats in a few minutes. Butter, sugar, cinnamon on the table, toast in the toaster. Big glass of Milk with it.

At my house, by the time you get out the crock pot and get it all ready... you have Oatmeal. And it's not instant.

kensington
October 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM
We love the crockpot oatmeal here. I guess I need to give up on life. LOL! It's not just plain oatmeal...it's steel cut oats cooked with apples. I personally like waking up to breakfast already cooked and waiting for the kids that wake up at 6am and want their breakfast immediately! I'd rather not spend 30 minutes or so cooking oatmeal in the morning when I can have it in the crockpot in 5 min at night. I have no shame even if you all think I'm lame. It's so much tastier and healthier than those instant packs loaded with sugar.

Please don't take it personally that I thought it was funny. Pinterest goes to the Extreme to make the most simple thing big. It makes me laugh.

What made it even more funny to me is that the Steel Cut, Rolled or Quick.... all have the exact same nutritional value. It's just a difference in cooking time, that's all.

Hulamoon
October 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Little oat facts. lol

Regular Oats Vs. Steel Cut Oats: What's the Difference? (http://www.parade.com/129160/dasheditors/12-the-difference-between-regular-oats-and-steel-cut-oats/)

bhaggerty
October 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Love Crock Pot oatmeal!!

It is for steel cut oats or even have used whole oats (take 45 min to cook on the stove top)
much healthier (technically same nutritional value but not really - the steel cut and whole have more FIBER!! ) and a completely different taste than instant or rolled old fashioned oats

don't laugh until you try it!

Kensington, I thought the same thing when my LQS started selling pre-cuts!! LOL!! Now look at me!!! hahahaha!

K. McEuen
October 25th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I think sort of agree with Kensington, mostly because of how much oatmeal you'd end up with if you made it in the crock pot. I know it doesn't have to be full, but still, that's a lot, especially for one or two people. I remember my mom making oatmeal on the stove. It was always way too thick for me. I like the taste, but the texture is just off for me. The instant turns out more runny, which I like, but the taste isn't as good.

Now if I still had that little 1 quart crock pot that I used to have, that might be perfect for oatmeal for a small family.

bhaggerty
October 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I think sort of agree with Kensington, mostly because of how much oatmeal you'd end up with if you made it in the crock pot. I know it doesn't have to be full, but still, that's a lot, especially for one or two people. I remember my mom making oatmeal on the stove. It was always way too thick for me. I like the taste, but the texture is just off for me. The instant turns out more runny, which I like, but the taste isn't as good.

Now if I still had that little 1 quart crock pot that I used to have, that might be perfect for oatmeal for a small family.

that is what I use - a 1 quart crock pot - I only make 2 servings.

PeggyM
October 25th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Lol. Does it get any easier than instant oatmeal in a cup, with hot water from the water cooler? That's my (work breakfast) recipe. And, there's no crock pot to scrub. I guess it makes sense if you're making breakfast for the family reunion.

Gayle8675309
October 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM
My daughter cooks steel cut oats in her rice cooker, she loves them!

Cat n bull
October 25th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Little oat facts. lol

Regular Oats Vs. Steel Cut Oats: What's the Difference? (http://www.parade.com/129160/dasheditors/12-the-difference-between-regular-oats-and-steel-cut-oats/)

LOL! Love the oat facts!

The taste of the steel cut, or maybe the texture is more accurate, is awesome! I tried switching to the old fashioned rolled oats and it's such a let down, just not the same.

I personally wouldn't do the crockpot, it's just me that likes them so I just have to wait, plus I do not have to leave for work in the am.

BellasQuilts
October 25th, 2013, 10:23 PM
It's amazing how this group can take a rather ordinary topic - cooking oatmeal and turn it into a side splitter! What a hoot this thread is! Love you all dearly.

Peggi
October 27th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Okay at first my reaction was the same as Kensington's, but after reading all these responses, I'm thinking I might have to try these steel-cut oats!!

Now.... how about baking those hard-boiled eggs in the oven? I don't understand why people would go to all the trouble of baking eggs at 350 for half an hour, when you can just boil them on the stovetop for 10 minutes. Am I the only one?

kensington
October 27th, 2013, 02:14 AM
I've never baked an egg. But the secret to good Oatmeal, is to not stir it. Bring the water to a boil put in the Oats, shake a bit to get the Oats wet, leave set for 5 minutes... it's not like paste, just Oats. Shaken, not stirred.

bkthomas
October 27th, 2013, 02:16 AM
It's amazing how this group can take a rather ordinary topic - cooking oatmeal and turn it into a side splitter! What a hoot this thread is! Love you all dearly.

You got that right!!! :icon_rofl:

Lilly
October 27th, 2013, 02:18 AM
I used to make steel cut oats in the crock pot for my kids and loved the ease of it- yum - runny or tender or chewy- with apples cooked soft in it overnight - a little dried milk sstirred in to make it creamy- gotta get out that crock when it gets colder. When I was a camp counselor the cook would take the leftover oatmeal and make cookies from it the next day. I've always wanted to figure out that recipe.

dwil23
October 27th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Actually, I like it that way. I use steel cut oats, so they require more cooking than the processed "instant"or "quick" varieties. You put them on low the night before and when you wake up - breakfast is ready. I also found they cook well in a rice cooker.

Don't knock it til you try it!

(now you gone and made me hungry!)