PDA

View Full Version : Almost the weekend - here's Thursday

Blondie
March 31st, 2011, 07:05 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/2gm.jpg

Good Morning Everyone

I tried to get back in yesterday a few times and couldn't get past the landing page.
I got a whole lot of scraps sorted yesterday - how tedious and educational. Gave me time to also try to figure out if I need to change my area around; haven't gotten that far yet but still thinking on that.

Dark and even darker because of heavy fog. Wish I could capture a picture of just how dense the fog is in my yard. My Luscious left for work a few minutes ago and my DD just arrived home from working third at the hospital. She moved back home fairly recently; she and hubs have separated. I have very mixed emotions about this but I am keeping my mouth shut. I never thought they would be married as long as they have (5 years); I love her hubs. Sweet guy, no ambition or gumption. I am thankful they had no children.

I spent very little time online yesterday. I was a good wife, even had fried catfish for dinner last night. That takes devotion, I reminded hubs as my idea of eating fish is in a restaurant.

Off to get ready for the day.

What's up with you?

llm161
March 31st, 2011, 08:05 AM
Here it is Thursday . . . . . remember, I'm in PA and it is raining and with the threat of mixed weather with wind. Also remember that I work at a plant farm. Hmmmmmmmmm........ put all that together and I see a hot relaxing bath in my soaking tub this afternoon. LOL! While I was at my daughter's babysitting last weekend, I got almost all my blocks finished for the Wild Animal Swap and started on two more quilts. I think that makes my quilts in progress at about six now. I did finish quilting the last two blocks for my Carolina Lily Quilt so I can sew more of that together. By the end of the weekend (unless it's nice), I should be ready for the borders. Yeah! If it's nice this weekend, work in the yard. Unless, of course, the yard is a mucky mess. Augh well, it is spring. April showers bring May flowers and all that rot. LOL! I want to quilt!

Loonwatcher
March 31st, 2011, 08:59 AM
It's a little glooming here in VT. Getting ready for the snow to start tonight and through tomorrow. I finished the top and back of my "wave" table runner this morning before work. I'm nervious about putting it all together with the batting so I'm taking it all to a friend today for her advice and guidance. Got to pick up some invisible thread in case I'm stuck (aw too bad) home tomorrow so I can finish it up. We're expecting about 6-12 inches of snow and the only good thing about it is that I may just stay home and get the runner done.

Have a great day!

ginampls
March 31st, 2011, 09:44 AM
hello.... yep dreary here too rain with a possible mix of snow later.... yeah...

blondie... you can keep your mouth shut... or you could gently tell her how proud you are of her.. you know to keep her spirits up.
Jan how ya feeling today? hope you are better...

may just go back to bed today...

pdjewelrylady
March 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM
dark and rainy with high winds and tornado warnings here in central florida. but what is worse - my rotary cutter is broke! hit the floor one too many times i guess and now it will not rotary !!!! tooooo stormy to go to store to get new one --guess i will work on teeny tiny triangle piecing this morning ;) Be safe and Be HAPPY today :)

Sandy Navas
March 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM
Linda, I was not familiar with your Carolina Lily so did a look up for the pattern. The first one I saw was so intricate that I almost choked on my coffee. Then I saw another one where it was a close up picture and I could see how it is put together. All in all I am still very impressed.

Suzi, with I could send you a rotary cutter today. I dropped one the other day - mind you my floor is carpeted (ugh) - and the blade snapped in half! Amazing. Don't prick your fingers while doing that tiny piecing.

Nancy, I hope your friend likes your table runner as much as we do. I'll bet no matter what you decide it will be perfect. Sometimes we just have to go with our initial gut feeling and not over think a situation too much.

Blondie, Blondie, Blondie - I have to share a fog story. Many years ago (college years) Al and I had gone to visit friends about 70 miles away. We left for home about 1:30 in the morning and about 10 miles from home ran into the most dense fog I have ever seen. We couldn't see traffic on the freeway so decided to take a road that was more direct - but unfortunately we weren't that familiar with it. We were creeping along, Al had the door open so he could see the yellow line on the road . . . the fog was that bad. All of a sudden we were scared out of our wits with the blast of a train whistle! I have never been so scared in my life. We knew the track crossed the road but we weren't sure just where we were in relationship to the tracks. The fog was so dense we could have had the front of the car on the tracks and couldn't see. A frightening time for sure. As we later discovered, the tracks were quite a ways off the road at that point - but the density of the fog caused the sound of the whistle to intensify and we would have sworn the train was right on top of us.

Al, bless his little pea-pickin' heart, gave me some Alka-Selzer cold remedy last night before bed so I slept much better - the sinuses didn't keep me up. Hope it holds through the day. Taking Miss Amanda to work this morning, and will go visit Mom for a while. May or may not be able to get back in the sewing room later.

Everyone out there have a great day. A hot tub soak sounds good for whatever ails us. Trish - we haven't heard how Odie is doing now that he's back 'on the job'. Patti - don't overdo it on packing things up for shipment. Jan - I sure hope your back allows you to have a bit of fun today - and hope this set-back with the nose, etc., isn't full-blown.

Hugs to everyone!!

SuzyQue
March 31st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Lovely sunny day here today.....but cold. The sun will energize and the cold will keep me in. Last night I put together a "Just One Star" block for the military. Easy, but turned out smaller than I was imagining. It looks nice with matched up seams and all! Yeah! Also made 4 blocks with the coffee filter circles from on here somewhere. I am making each block with scraps of the same color family, (one all reds, one all greens, etc) and setting them on same colored but plain squares. I think it will be an adorable children's quilt. I decided late last night to embellish each circle with some scraps of rickrack, trims, and very small appliques....to add interest to the playing child. Too bright to be a nappy quilt! It has been fun to create and very fast to put together! And free!!!! all scraps and stash! Creating is so energizing, too! Happy creating, everyone! SuzyQue

Loonwatcher
March 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
SuzyQue - your coffee filter circles/quilt sounds great. I've no experience with paper piecing (is that what you're doing) and don't really know what it is. But I like our description. Can't wait to see a picture.

toggpine
March 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Just popping in to say Hi & get my morning fix of MSQC friends!
Catch you all laters alligators!
Cathy

Blondie
March 31st, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hi Ladies!

Home early today. Got some chili cooking and will be making some cornbread to go with.

I found a way to calm Gracie down. I bought her an honest to goodness bone to chew on. One that my sis recommended - she has two J.R.'s and a huge mixed breed. My goodness, I have never seen the dog so quiet. Hallelujah. My mom is acting kinda sorta like she wants her back but I told her now way. I am not getting this dog trained and spoiled (at the right time - a conundrum?) just to have her keep her in a crate 23 hours a day. Fiddlesticks. Besides, I took Sandy's advice and snuck her in the bed with me yesterday morning and she was a luv. That could be a bad habit. Hubs didn't approve when she jumped up on the bed last evening. He gave me one of his Scarey Larry looks. Good thing he thinks I'm adorable when I bat my eyes at him innocently.

Sandy, that fog story is frightening. Have been there before myself and said extra prayers for hubs driving in that pea soup 25 miles this morning.

Gina, I have to keep my mouth shut. DD is more me than me. I didn't listen to my Mom when I was her age, so who am I kidding to think she will listen to me. I have never been good at holding grudges, staying angry or saying I told you so. I simply pray for her. After all, she belongs to Him now and I consider that the best hands ever. Truthfully, I love her hubs very much. I saw him the other week and we both held onto each other while I cried. I knew she was unhappy for quite a while. So did he. He just wants her happy. I wish things could be different but it is better to find out while still young than to be miserable for years and years. Don't ask me how I know.

Patti, thinking of you so much the past few days. Keep throwing that stress over your shoulder. You're on the backside of it all now.

SuziQ - you're a gem. I can't wait to see your work

Linda - I am wondering if your Carolina Lily is the same pattern that I have? Would love to see.

Okay chickies, off to get some cleaning done. Hubs will be home before I know it.

quiltingtrish
March 31st, 2011, 06:09 PM
Happy Thursday everyone,
Just a quick update on Odie. He is supposed to start his schooling in Oklahoma on Monday (the 4th) but it is a kind of wait and see after another doctor visit the same day. He spent the month of February waiting for classes to start and they had all the guys clean stuff everyday. Long and boring month. Then he found out he had a hernia and needed surgery so another long and boring month where he wasn't allowed to even clean. Now, he says the incision area is all red and that means maybe an infection so the doctor told him to put a warm washcloth on it 3 times a day and come back Monday. He is so hoping that he can get classes started or it will be another month of doing nothing. I told him there is a REASON for all this waiting and he knows it. He is hanging in there though and texts or calls us just about everyday.
Snow showers tonight here - sorry to the ones getting 6-12". Was hoping it would blow off the coast and not hit anyone. It's just cruel this time of year even if it will melt fast.
Waiting to see what the layer cake will be for tomorrow. I need to order a few more of the True Blue charm packs but want to see if I really want the layer cake too. I don't think I will stay up until 1 AM though - will have to take my chances and see what it is in the morning and hope they have lots of them.
Well, gotta run. Tonights the night I make church copies of stuff - lots to copy for Sunday: bulletins, calendar, prayer list, Relay for Life stuff. Takes time to do it all.
Have a super evening! Hugs,

patticakes
March 31st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone! It's finally over! Yea.....I am so beat I just got on to read and catch up with everyone. Gonna relax tonight and will check in tomorrow! Whew....when one door closes another opens right? I am not outwardly real religious but I truly feel that He has a plan and I have to trust it. I truly feel happier than I have for a long time and can't wait to see what is next!
Love ya like a fat kid loves candy....

inspired
March 31st, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hi Blondie; Just have to ask you where you get your cool graphics? I enjoy your sense of humour too!!!! Val

janluna
March 31st, 2011, 10:48 PM
Hello everyone! Patti, I'm so glad you are relieved. Nothing like getting rid of that kind of stress! Trish, It sounds like Odie has had quite a time of it. Now we just got to get the stress out of your life. Blondie, I'd love some of that corn bread. I also love grits and eggs. Can't get the good ones up here. I lived in Ga. for a while. People think I'm crazy for liking grits but I always thought they were delish. Sandy, I was looking at your room pictures again. I love where your one sewing machine is located with a view outside. I sit in my 3 season porch and watch for the deer, rabbits and wild turkeys. And I have a mama pheasant that visits my bird feeder. It's so funny to watch her and the chickadees eating the seed. She's so big and they are so small. They get along so well though. And it's true that deer and rabbits travel together. We have a mama deer and her fawn and a rabbit that go everywhere on our property together. Unfortunately we also have copperhead snakes. We have to be careful in the summer. I haven't been able to garden in the last few years, but I used to carry a long sharp metal piece that I could kill one if it raised it's head and spit at me. If it went on it's way I didn't bother it. They have their place too. We have no mice. LOL I miss the garden. I tried one on the porch in containers and it was going great until the chipmunks found it. They would take one huge bite out of each tomato I had and leave it to go to the next one. Little buggers!
Well, I've been playing with my swap blocks and haven't decided how best to put them together so they are percolating for the time being. I want to make a couple of stars for the soldiers, so I guess between wash loads I'll be doing that. The wash didn't get done on Monday cause I just felt too bad. But I'm better now, except for sneezy fits. LOL
Well, now that I have rambled on, I'll leave you be. Love you all my dear dear sisters. I missed you all. Love, Jan

Blondie
March 31st, 2011, 10:49 PM
Patti ~ i would rest a bit before I start getting windows ready to open. I don't know your finances but gosh if you could get unemployment for just a bit and catch your breath. I truly believe in closed doors and open windows. It's kind of like thanking God for unanswered prayers, so I hear you dear sister.
Val, I just think up words sometimes and google them under images. I also visit Delphi forums where they have loads of sigs.
Mostly I make up my own these days. I have cd's full of graphics with my signature on them too. it's the kind of thing I do when I can't sleep. Thanks for asking.
Wayyy past my bedtime. Need to be hitting the hay; I did get half a handbag done after dinner. I still have 2 orders to finish up. Geesh, can I get sidetracked or what?!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/GN/db6c8938.gif

janluna
March 31st, 2011, 11:57 PM
Sweet Dreams Blondie. You are such a wonderful person. I love You. Hugs, Jan L

toggpine
April 1st, 2011, 01:04 AM
Good evening!
It has been a productive day, I ran Em to all of her appointments and then while she was at school I did some sewing on the wedding blocks. I have a few more to go. I'll try to get them done this evening after a hot shower and a bowl of oatmeal.
After Em came home from school she played outside while I mowed the lawn and finally got all of the roses pruned. I had the snooty ones done a few months ago, but my husband was going to trim the old fashioned ones. Yeah, didn't get that done either. So now they are the shape I want them. I should be able to mow now without getting whipped in the face with nature's barbed wire. It had been not raining since early afternoon and the wind was up, so the grass was about as dry as it was going to get for the next few days. If we get the warm rain that is expected, I was gonna have to go get a cow to knock it down in a week. Besides the exercise is good for me! Next item, the veggie garden. The weeds in there are really starting bug me when I look out my bedroom window. I am going to be starting some stuff in the window trays this next week! Whoo Hoo! The last frost is usually past by mid-April, so I should be good. I'll put the peas directly in the ground in a few weeks. The pumpkins should be selft starting all over the place by mid-May.
You all have a good night and I'll check in tomorrow!
Hugs for you all! Cathy

SuzyQue
April 1st, 2011, 01:08 AM
Nancy----I got the idea for the coffee filter quilt blocks on here.....".Default Circles from coffee filters

thought this was a really neat idea http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009...uesday_21.html " It was from Patrice, I believe. It is more crazy quilting than paper piecing. You are just using the coffee filters as a background then rip them off. It is a cute way to use up scraps and quick and fun. I am trying to make some baby and kids' quilts to donate this year. I don't have grandchildren yet....so this feeds that urge and I would hate to think of children in our country without a blankie! I have decided to quilt each block as I do decorative stitches and then put the blocks together and frame with bias tape or something???? Not sure....making that part up as I go. It is going great............so far! I hope to learn to post pictures soon!!!! SuzyQue

rebeccas-sewing
April 1st, 2011, 05:18 AM
Hi everyone! It's finally over! Yea.....I am so beat I just got on to read and catch up with everyone. Gonna relax tonight and will check in tomorrow! Whew....when one door closes another opens right? I am not outwardly real religious but I truly feel that He has a plan and I have to trust it. I truly feel happier than I have for a long time and can't wait to see what is next!
Love ya like a fat kid loves candy....
Somehow, I've missed what's going on with you, Patticakes, but I'm really glad you are feeling so happy!

rebeccas-sewing
April 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM
I love grits! Funny story: Before Joe and I married, so that's about about 30 years ago, we went on a trip to visit a friend in Louisiana. On the way, we stopped in Valdosta, GA to rest and visit Joe's family. Our friend, Carol, was with us. You need to know that Carol is from New York and is very Jewish. So, we're in the kitchen preparing breakfast. Joe's brother was telling Carol how much he liked bagels and asked her if she'd ever had one. Of course, we found this question hysterical knowing Carol's background. Bobby asked Carol if she had ever had grits. Her reply, "No, but I'll try just one!" By then we were practically rolling on the floor. We LOVE grits!!! Cheese grits, grits with butter, lots of salt and pepper. We used to live in North Philadelphia near the University of Pennsylvania. We were extremely poor, but we would treat ourselves to breakfast, once in a while, at this tiny little hole in the wall where we were the only white people in the place. We didn't care if we were the minority and stared at by the other customers because their cook made the best breakfast. We'd have grits, fried scrapple, toast, eggs, and lots of hot coffee. It was quite a treat for us.