PDA

View Full Version : Honey I Shrunk the Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
October 23rd, 2013, 12:22 AM
When DS#5 was three, I took him to a birthday party. There was a cute little girl there named Rachel who was just a bit older than David. While she was playing in the little kid's kitchen, David went up to her grandfather and said, "I have an idea." The old man said, "What's your idea about?" David nodded towards Rachel and said, "My idea's about her!" Her grandfather laughed so much his false teeth popped out!

Seventeen years later, this is still one of our favorite stories. Whenever anyone in the family says, "I have an idea," the next line is always, "What's your idea about?"

Do you have any stories that have become part of your family life? Any special quotes that bring back a funny memory?

HdWench
October 23rd, 2013, 12:30 AM
:D lost his toofers!! hehehehe

Ours is kinda of dumb -- when I used to be able to work our shops when one of us left we would say, I'll be back -- the other always say.... I'm the front :icon_rolleyes:

We also call to each other from the street -- Authroooooooooooo Katerinaaaaaaaaaaaaa

yeah gosh we have had some really fun times working the Faires

Debbie

Kgrammiecaz
October 23rd, 2013, 12:38 AM
Mine is not when we are very little but hey atthis age -in my 30's was little

Anyway whenever the 6 of us manage to be in the same place, we end up ar the table withmomand dad playing cards poker whatever,with whoever is next to fridge having get me this duty

We have done this since forever and it never grows old

Shirley
October 23rd, 2013, 12:40 AM
When my youngest DD started daycare, we would ask her how her day was. She was 2. She said they would lay down on their cottons (meaning cots) after lunch. And when I asked her what happened after her nap she said they would turn on the light and I said what did you do then? Her answer- we say yea! So now 33 years later that phrase is used over and over. Whenever we are happy about something- that's our response. We say yea! I love it.

bubba
October 23rd, 2013, 12:53 AM
Before I start, pardon my language, but it's a part of the story.....

When my niece was about five years old, she came running inside to report one of her friends had called her a really bad name. We asked what it was and she said, oh, I can not say it, it's really bad. We asked if she could spell it and she said yes! M O T H E R ****er. Taken aback, we said, uh, you spelled the not bad word but said the bad one! Her reply, I'm only five, I don't know how to spell ****er.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.....I still giggle about it to this day.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 23rd, 2013, 12:55 AM
Other than basketti and Beenas ( spaghetti and bananas) no. But I do have a funny story to tell about my 8 year old granddaughter. Tonight I picked her up from an after school club meeting, then we picked up her brother from the day care across the street. The day care lets the kids take a piece of candy or a lollipop when they leave. Even though she wasn't staying today after school, she got to take a lollipop. We went to McDonalds for a quick dinner, then on to their religion school. As she was going in to school, I saw something odd in her little swingy ponytail, IT WAS THE LOLLIPOP! Stuck to her hair! How it ever ended up there, I'll never know! It tickled me to see it there, I was laughing hysterically as I tried to remove it! She didn't know why I was laughing, then wanted to resume eating the lollipop once I got it out! Ewwww- hairy lollipop! No thanks!

grandmasieg
October 23rd, 2013, 12:56 AM
When my daughter started to eat regular food (spaghetti, toast, etc.) at whatever age it is that they do that (hey, it's been 37 years!) my parents bought her a Mickey Mouse toddler dinner set with the plate, bowl, and cup that they kept at their house. Being a single parent at that time, we ate a lot of dinners at Gram and Paps! Dawn loved her MM plate with Mickey's face on it and when she was done with her dinner we would all say "Look at that, you did so good, you can see Mickey!" To this day, every dinner or lunch or breakfast ends with "I can see Mickey!". My grandsons do this also, although Dawn never let them use her MM plate (she still has it!!). The wait staff at restaurants my parents and I go to frequently have now started saying (and not just to us!) "Great job, you can see Mickey!"

Hugs!
Debbie

auntiemern
October 23rd, 2013, 01:24 AM
The sister that is right under me is not the brightest color in the box. There are many storiesnI could tell you, but will stick with one. When she was pregnant the first time, I took her to her Dr's appt, because they only had one car. When the doctor asked her what brought her here, she told him her sister. I still laugh about that one. The girl is dense a s a fruit cake, lol.

Lisapc
October 23rd, 2013, 01:24 AM
I love the Night Owls but I am not supposed to be here. I knew sitting down after dinner was a bad idea. I fell straight asleep and just woke up a bit ago. Nice to have good company though.

Actually we have a one word giggle. Actually. My darling Brenna was an early talker. She did everything early as she has always been Miss independent. She was about 18 months old and she had made a huge mess at the table with her food. I was trying to just let her eat while I cleaned. I took her plate and cup away and gave her some paper towels and told her that since she was such a big girl that she was now big enough to help clean up her own messes. I got "that look" and she stuck up her pointer finger and said as clear as a bell, "Actually Mama it's the Mama's job to clean up". I made her help. But that finger and that work became her favorite and everyone thought it was so cute. I was the only one who didn't. Everyone gave me the pointer and the "actually" for years. A couple years ago I witnessed the following. Kora squirted her juice box. Brenna hands her paper towels and told her that if she was big enough to drink from a juice box that she was big enough to clean up her own squirts! Kora stuck up her pointer finger and said, "Actually Mama you supposed to clean up after me b'cause I am the kid".

We now all love Actually again and she must be a better Mama than me because Brenna loves it too!

toggpine
October 23rd, 2013, 02:42 AM
This one is on me. Remember I have lived in the Pacific Northwest all of my life. Our beaches are most often cold, the sand is pretty compact, and has large rocky patches. Most of our outdoor sports are played on green, and often very wet, grass.
We were watching Top Gun and there is the scene where they are playing volleyball. From across the room I said, "Why are they playing ball on dead grass? That's gonna hurt." It was about that point I saw the sand spray up. Alas, it was too late and my family heard. To this day my cousins still rag me about that.

Of course we have things like "Bungle Bee, Buckalo, and Corn Hogs" that Em has blessed us with that have managed to supplant bumble bee, buffalo, and corn dogs in our vocabulary.

It is going to be a fairly early night for me here. Work and the farm wiped me out today.
I am hoping to put in some more time at the machine tomorrow. I have a few things to finish off for my Secret Santa. One involves three zippers totaling 48" of zipper stitching joy. Actually, 96" since I have to sew both sides down! It's probably a good idea I work on it while Em's at school. She doesn't need to add those kinds of words to her vocabulary!

Good night and sweet dreams to our quilty family and friends who are all going through so much right now.
Hugs, Cathy

Andrea F
October 23rd, 2013, 03:24 AM
When DS#1 was two he used to call his bib "hapala" instead of "Schlabberlatz", also he couldn´t say Patrick and it sounded like "Ebbich". Another one is his word for lady bug. The German word is "Marienkäfer" and Patrick called it "Hamelcha". That sounded sooo cute when he said that. My sister and I use these word creations sometimes until today.

Nidan_07
October 23rd, 2013, 06:17 AM
I have lots of funny stories about what my kids have said over time... and they're still quite young. But something that sticks is every day when I would collect my Maeve from Kindy she would ask me: "Mummy, what are we having on our dinner tonight?" It wasn't what was for dinner, but on dinner. This particular evening I said to her: "What would you like to have?" She piped up and said that she wanted "Bones on a stick". After quite a number of questions, I discovered that what she meant was BBQ Spare Ribs.
They're no longer Spare Ribs, they're Bones on a stick in our family.

Granny Judy
October 23rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Ah, how funny all the stories are.. and what a wealth of happiness!!

My younger brother could never say my name "judy".. it always came out doo-dillie. That was my nick name for many years.. quite embarrassing for a teenage, too.

There are lots of others but I'll just stick with this one.

Sandy Navas
October 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Love the way kids say things. One that Al and I use quite frequently was said by my cousin who had a serious speech impediment when she was young (she became a very successful speech therapist but that didn't make these particular mess-ups go away). Her father was a foul-mouthed man so she did tend to repeat some things. Sockopit we found out was the acronym SOB. But our very favorite is sanchee - which means Thank You.

But don't we all have those buskettis, amnunals, alpadents?

Lisapc
October 23rd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Lil' Peter: helipter
Kora: hopycopter

Helicopter, don't we all just have tons of these? I can't come looking again or I will keep adding more.

Andrea F
October 23rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Lil' Peter: helipter
Kora: hopycopter

Helicopter, don't we all just have tons of these? I can't come looking again or I will keep adding more.

Oh, I like hopycopter!!!

toggpine
October 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
We also have wipeshapers = windshield wipers

Em has permanent hearing loss in both ears, so it's interesting what she hears from what we say.

auntiemern
October 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
We have mow lawner, eepie, and the ever famous butterfloke.

Hulamoon
October 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM
I didn't come in here last night because I was feeling sad. I don't have my family anymore.

When I was little I had a stepsister. Her dad would always say that guy was such a Dick. Back then that name was normal. But we would crack the hell up when he said it. So at the dinner table one night we were laughing so much I got sent to the stairs, like in the corner.

Don't know why I picked this one, but it was too funny.

Miss Sheri
October 23rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
In our house butterflies were always flutterbyes.
My yougest son named Erik, had a hard time saying his own name as he was just learning to speak. He called himself Eeek.

PeggyM
October 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
In our house butterflies were always flutterbyes.
My yougest son named Erik, had a hard time saying his own name as he was just learning to speak. He called himself Eeek.

Lol. My DD, Erica, was nicknamed Eekie by my sister.