• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laf512
    The Guild President
    • Jan 2013

Oh my!!

Dh just discovered that our sewage is backing up thru the drain in the basement!

I'm not sure what we need to do. He's down there mopping up the mess right now. We are on septic so we will be calling to have it pumped out tomorrow. I sure hope that does the trick!

Ick!! I've been told not to run any water or flush the toilet. Oh joy! This could be interesting.....
    Lori
  • PeggyM
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2013

Re: Oh my!!

I have had this problem tooooo many times, in two different houses. In this house, it was roots growing through the 90-year-old sewage pipe. In my previous 1986 house, it was a blockage in the air vent (an animal crawled/fell/dropped in), and once a diaper down the toilet -- I'm sure I didn't do that. I hope it's an easy fix, but it sure is a poopy, stinky, disgustingly awful mess!
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

• auntiemern
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2012

I really feel for you. We had that happen once. Now I get the septic pumped annually, whether it needs it or not.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

Talk to Kensington-She had a disaster last summer with that!

Comment

• laf512
          The Guild President
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          Talk to Kensington-She had a disaster last summer with that!
          I was just getting ready to send her a PM to see who did the work for her since she's only a few minutes away from me.

Luckily, our basement is unfinished and we caught the problem before it got too bad.
          Lori

Comment

• kensington
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2012

Ah yes... you need to have it pumped immediately, and have a service come and tell you if you need to dig up laterals, replace pump or what. We had roots in our Laterals and that is what caused ours, so having it pumped only helped for a few days. Call your insurance co. Depending on what caused it, it could be covered. Ours was, due to our aerator pump going out, so they came in hasmet suits, and cleaned it all up, cut out the walls, ripped out anything it touched and sanitized and deodorized it. We remodeled the whole basement like new when it happened to us. I don't know what it is supposed to smell like, I'm assuming disgusting, but ours smelled like mold. We kept thinking we were smelling mold. But, when DH went to look ... it was not mold.

Go outside and take a deep breathe, it's going to be alright. It can be fixed, or replaced, whatever it is. If your home is older, you probably have roots in your laterals somewhere, we had them in two places. It took dh and sil a day to dig them up and replace them. The remodeling could have been done sooner if we had not done the work ourselves. Good luck.
            Last edited by kensington; October 21, 2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• ilive2craft2
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2012

I'm glad you caught it before it got too bad - even a little bit is a pain to clean up and deal with. Hope it is an easy fix!
              Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

• laf512
                The Guild President
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by kensington View Post
                Ah yes... you need to have it pumped immediately, and have a service come and tell you if you need to dig up laterals, replace pump or what. We had roots in our Laterals and that is what caused ours, so having it pumped only helped for a few days. Call your insurance co. Depending on what caused it, it could be covered. Ours was, so they came in hasmet suits, and cleaned it all up, cut out the walls, ripped out anything it touched and sanitized and deodorized it. We remodeled the whole basement like new when it happened to us.
                Thanks, Kensington. Dh called a company to come pump. Unfortunately, it's after hours so we are hoping they can get here first thing in the morning. He turned off the water so hopefully, we will be able to keep the mess contained this evening.
                Lori

Comment

• PeggyM
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2013

Ewwwww! Hazmat! That's serious! I guess I should consider myself lucky. I have an unfinished basement, and it backed up into the laundry sink once, and on the cement floor once when it busted the waste pipe. I hope and pray that it's easy to fix.
                  My friends call me Peggy
                  The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

• Lisapc
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2012

I wish you luck with this. Not a fun thing to go through.
                    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

• kensington
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by laf512 View Post
                      Thanks, Kensington. Dh called a company to come pump. Unfortunately, it's after hours so we are hoping they can get here first thing in the morning. He turned off the water so hopefully, we will be able to keep the mess contained this evening.
                      Stop flushing and don't run water... no showers or diswashers, it's all going to the same place and that is what is backing up. We had to go stay in a motel for a night waiting for the pump man to come. I had to be able to shower.

Comment

• kensington
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

Sent you a PM. Hope it helps! If I can help further, just let me know. If you and the kids want to come over tomorrow so you at least have toilets and running water... Just say the word. God Bless.

Comment

Working...
                        X