PDA

View Full Version : Monday? Monday? Okay, I'll start . . .

Sandy Navas
October 21st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Our usual chatty friends must be busy today - I hope it is for good reasons, but given all the difficulties people have been facing . . . I pray its not a sad time for anyone!!

My big plans for the day seem to be on hold as I watch the minute hands move on the big wall clock - I am hoping that I get to rescue my lovely sewing machine from the hands of the mean ole repair shop. Three weeks and my withdrawal symptoms are really getting bad . . . I bit the end off a spool of thread yesterday and still have threads stuck between my teeth.

We had a very exciting Sunday evening. Al and I took four of the granddaughters to a Chamber music performance at the university - Michelle (11), Emily (9), Rita (6), and Zoe (5). Rita and Zoe fell asleep in the middle of the second performance so we gathered them up during intermission and left. A surprise was planned for them which turned out to be great fun. We have little ice cream shop that is literally in the shape of an ice cream cone - painted pink with a wonderful outdoor ambiance made even more special because they play 50's music. Yesterday was their 15th birthday celebration and 1/2 price day. They close for the winter today and will reopen the first of March. The girls had no idea we were headed there and it was a wonderful treat for them. The fun part was that as soon as we stepped out of the car it started sprinkling and it was a light wonderful fresh sprinkle - so we sat outside and ate our ice cream in the sprinkles. Great times and another memory created.

Here's to some very happy stitching and less ...itchin . . . may your day be filled with pure joy!!

Sandy Navas
October 21st, 2013, 11:33 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7792908488_ec2b38be88_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/groups/twistee-treat/)

MayinJerset
October 21st, 2013, 11:41 AM
Sandy, Guess we were posting at the same time. Oh that ice cream store is fabulous, the kids must have been in 7th heaven. You and Al are great grandparents.

lilmouse
October 21st, 2013, 11:45 AM
How cute is that....awesome memory for the kids!

Bubby
October 21st, 2013, 11:57 AM
Such a darling building and a special memory for you and the girls!

buckeyequilter
October 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
Good morning....

It's almost time for me to go to lunch so thought I'd stop by to see what's up with everyone.

Sandy that is a cute ice cream shop. I'm glad you got to make some more memories with the granddaughters.

Looks like everyone was busy with quilty stuff over the week-end (except Sandy that is - sorry). I saw so many gorgeous quilts and projects that were finished up or started.

We are dog sitting for my BIL's german shepherd and he's not a friendly dog. DH and I don't have a problem with him but we put the muzzle on him when my daughter is around. I made Jim put the dog in his shop this morning while we're at work so that he can't get out. He tried to eat the mayor yesterday....however, Jim warned Rick about the dog and he stuck his hand down by his face. The mayor is ok....the dog didn't bite him. The dog has a large overbite that I think is a blessing...because it's difficult for him to bite unless someone puts thier hand in his mouth. When BIL asked us to dog sit on Saturday...I said NO...Jim said YES. I sure hope BIL is back today to get him.

I hope to finish the first 3 borders on my Garden quilt tonight. Then I have to measure and order fabric for the final border and back.

Well time for me to go to lunch. Have a wonderful day. Prayers and hugs.

auntiemern
October 21st, 2013, 12:42 PM
Hi, reasonably healthy, and here.

kensington
October 21st, 2013, 12:58 PM
I love the ice cream shop! I want to go there.

Yesterday was my annual kids costume thingy for my grandkids and my nieces and nephews. I'm still so tired, I could sleep another 4 hours!

I made sliders and tater tots, we did a trick or treat bag decorating craft, they ran amuck, danced and jumped on the trampoline, we ate cupcakes, had a fire and made S'mores, then we trick or treated me.... I had bags of treats and candy made up and and they lined up to say trick or treat as I dropped all the goodies in their bags to take home. They seemed to like the vampire teeth with fake blood the best. We decided they could play with the teeth, but should take the fake blood (Made from oozy Watermelon candy stuff) on home and show it to mom. Oh and the eye ball. They liked throwing around the eye ball, LOL

They gathered up their treats and left just in time for DH and I to watch the second half of the Chiefs game! Woot! Go Chiefs! 7-0. Intense game, but we won! I put the borders on my Googlies quilt, took a much needed bath and went to bed.

Just tired enough not to remember anything after that... Except waking up for a moment to turn off the TV... ZZZZZZZZZZZZr

LynneLeavell
October 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
Sandy Love the Ice Cream Shop.

I did a retreat this past weekend at a local quilt store in my area (ok 52 miles from my house in McDonough, GA) and loved it. I didn't have any of the grandchildren hollering Granny. My daughter wasn't bugging me not even my husband. I got a motel room down there so I wouldn't have to drive back and forth and it was wonderful. The retreat was Friday and Saturday and I took a Basket Sampler quilt class on Thursday. So I sewed during the day and crosstitched at night in the motel room and watched watever I wanted to on TV (without hearing can I watch Cartoons.) Then I came home. Hope to finish my quilt this week. Got one block to go and then get to put the squares together.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 21st, 2013, 01:25 PM
Morning all! Got my night owl thing going last night thinking of what I could complete in 9 days for the church craft fair on Nov. 2. So. I sewed but did not sleep. So now, I'm a worthless tired lump and it is 11:00 am!

At least I did get a few things done!

Sandy, love the pic of the ice cream shop! Glad the girls liked their treat! Looks like Grandma Kensington spoiled her grandkids with a big dose of sugar, also! I had dinner with my Grandkids Saturday--got to use a very nice Applebees gift certificate some wonderful friends sent me! We're going to Great Wolf Lodge in KC on Friday to meet the Des Moines Grands for a weekend of watery fun! Eeeew, that means I have to put on a swim suit--how awful!

pcbatiks
October 21st, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone........we went out to eat with my parents yesterday for my moms birthday. We have also decided that we may need to wrap her in bubble wrap or get her a sumo wrestler inflatable costume. Wednesday she was outside....twisted her right ankle & fell......while falling she hurt the left knee......the same leg that she broke a bone in last August. She will find out today if anything in that leg is broken. Meanwhile she had a boot (like Meli's) on the right foot & staying off the left leg.....by use of a wheel chair. The leg is not hurting her and hopefully she didn't break anything.

I started putting together one more project for my SS box and then I think it will be ready.

Sandy.......I hope your sewing machine won't be held hostage much longer.

Let's remember to keep Lonna & Wayne in our prayers along with our other forum friends going through very stressful times. Our prayers are with all of you.

Monique
October 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM
Boy I am really late here. Roxy arrived last night after driving 8 hours. She was on her return home after being away since June. She spent a week with her brother in Edmonton, 1 week with her sister in Winnipeg and spent last night here. We had a lovely supper and a lovely visit with her. She left this morning after a good night's sleep. I had to work today for the elections again. Got home and then had to have a nap. And now it is almost suppertime. GEEZ!!

Off to work tomorrow. May get some quilting time in this evening.

Have a great rest of the day or whatever is left of it.

pcbatiks
October 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM
Yay.........my mom just called and said her leg is Not broken............she was very happy about that! She can get up and around now........but will be wearing the boot for awhile.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 21st, 2013, 08:52 PM
My daughter is Kate and her college roommate is Kris and they visited this ice cream shop when they played a college tennis tournament nearby. They took their photo in front and thought it was pretty cool!

I don't have any idea where it is -- I just saw their photo. What a small world!

quiltingtrish
October 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM
What an adorable ice cream shop. Wish we had one of those.

I haven't sewn a thing since the 2nd Saturday in October. Too busy with work and other things. Today after school, I drove Katie to the recruiters for one last signing of paperwork and bits of advice. Then I took her to Applebees for dinner. She asked for the manager and told her that she is leaving Sunday (6 days!!) for 13 weeks of Marine boot camp. Since she won't be here for the free meal on Veterans Day in November, could she get her free meal tonight? We ordered the 2 for $20. and it was all free. That was very nice of them. Katie promised to come back in January for another meal.

Dyed my light brown hair a dark blond thinking the grays wouldn't show as much when the color wears off. It's really not much of a difference - just hoping that the iron in my water doesn't turn it orangy over time. Anyways, I can blame my quilty mistakes on being blond now since that's what the bottle said. haha!

Hope you all have a great evening.
Hugs,

Sandy Navas
October 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM
She's home, she's home, she's home. Picked up my sewing machine about 4 this afternoon. Of course I was too tired to test her out when I got home (hate driving the freeway in rush hour traffic!!!!) - but tomorrow . . . we make lint fibers!!

Ginny B
October 21st, 2013, 10:55 PM
Woo Hoo Sandy! So happy she is home. Have fun tomorrow.

kensington
October 21st, 2013, 10:59 PM
What are "lint fibers" that you will make?

stitching woman
October 21st, 2013, 11:09 PM
So happy you baby is home. Now just sew, sew, sew.

Sandy Navas
October 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
What are "lint fibers" that you will make?

After just about every project I go in and remove all the 'belly-button' lint that accumulates around the bobbin race . . . sometimes I get a whole lot . . .

Do you need to watch Jenny's video where she cleaned her machine? Talk about lint fibers!! She sews a whole lot more than I do though!

ilive2craft2
October 21st, 2013, 11:22 PM
Woohoo your baby is home!

PeggyM
October 21st, 2013, 11:28 PM
What an adorable ice cream shop. Wish we had one of those.

I haven't sewn a thing since the 2nd Saturday in October. Too busy with work and other things. Today after school, I drove Katie to the recruiters for one last signing of paperwork and bits of advice. Then I took her to Applebees for dinner. She asked for the manager and told her that she is leaving Sunday (6 days!!) for 13 weeks of Marine boot camp. Since she won't be here for the free meal on Veterans Day in November, could she get her free meal tonight? We ordered the 2 for $20. and it was all free. That was very nice of them. Katie promised to come back in January for another meal.

Dyed my light brown hair a dark blond thinking the grays wouldn't show as much when the color wears off. It's really not much of a difference - just hoping that the iron in my water doesn't turn it orangy over time. Anyways, I can blame my quilty mistakes on being blond now since that's what the bottle said. haha!

Hope you all have a great evening.
Hugs,

Please thank your daughterfor her service for me.

On another note, I had a blonde friend with copper pipes, and the water turned her hair green. She rinsed her hair after shampooing with distilled water to keep it from turning. It worked for her.

Mpyles
October 21st, 2013, 11:50 PM
Monday was a busy hectic day for me!! About a half hour of hand piecing and that was it!! Bedtime!!

bkthomas
October 22nd, 2013, 04:54 AM
Did anyone else click on that pink building?
I haven't read this whole thread, but I did click on the pic of the Pink Ice-Cream Cone building and it takes you to a flickr page of many buildings like that....Too Cute!!!

mamaquilt
October 22nd, 2013, 05:18 AM
Being a curious person, I tried the pink button (top of the building) too and it worked. Funny buildings and very commercial.

Sandy Navas
October 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Did anyone else click on that pink building?
I haven't read this whole thread, but I did click on the pic of the Pink Ice-Cream Cone building and it takes you to a flickr page of many buildings like that....Too Cute!!!

Thanks, even I didn't know that. Guess that's not as unique as I'd imagined - but ain't it just about cute?