PDA

View Full Version : Friendly reminder to MOVE.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hi friends,

This is Joan, your friendly fitness director with a funny cartoon and a reminder to take a walk this week, walk up the stairs, or find any excuse to get up from the sewing machine and move.

My running buddies left me hanging this morning and no one showed up. (A text would be nice, huh?) But I still ran my 3.5 mile route and am feeling proud for having gone when no one else showed up.

For the last month, I have been running three times a week. I really want to get to four times per week. No time like the present, huh?

So let's get up and move! Happy Monday to all.

Gayle Russell
October 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
Good for you! I picture you in the middle of the Missouri woods with fall colored leaves, cool misty morning, and your best four legged pal trotting beside you!

Have a beautiful day!

CrazyMtnLady
October 21st, 2013, 09:17 AM
Good for you. I can't run...my bladder won't let me...LOL. But I do walk. Just walking to my mailbox and back is a work out. Living on top of the hill it is quite a hike up and down the driveway. It's about 200 yards down and that isn't so bad but the walk back up is torture on some days.

Kgrammiecaz
October 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
Major kudos to you for sure and thank you for the reminder.

Lisapc
October 21st, 2013, 09:54 AM
I am so happy to see this from you today. I have been feeling very guilty since you started your journey back into physical activity because before my life took over it was a very high priority for me. I never ran but was religious to my 3 days a week with weights and my minimum of 5 days a week with hiking or walking. Today I start slow. I am getting on my hubby's exercise bike for just 5 minutes. I can't do anymore than that but it is a start. I have also been keeping making my sewing more inconvenient by laying out part of my design and running from the sewing room to the dining room over and over and over again to just add a little movement rather than just reaching for the next row.

Thank you so much for the inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MRoy
October 21st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the nudge. I needed this today!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM
Good for you! I picture you in the middle of the Missouri woods with fall colored leaves, cool misty morning, and your best four legged pal trotting beside you!

Have a beautiful day!

This used to be EXACTLY how it was! I live in a rural, wooded area and my Golden Retriever always ran with me. But, my area is super hilly and now that I have running buddies, we meet in town where there's only one big hill on our route. Now I run through a city park. Not as scenic, but a lot easier on my hips and knees without the steep hills.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM
I am so happy to see this from you today. I have been feeling very guilty since you started your journey back into physical activity because before my life took over it was a very high priority for me. I never ran but was religious to my 3 days a week with weights and my minimum of 5 days a week with hiking or walking. Today I start slow. I am getting on my hubby's exercise bike for just 5 minutes. I can't do anymore than that but it is a start. I have also been keeping making my sewing more inconvenient by laying out part of my design and running from the sewing room to the dining room over and over and over again to just add a little movement rather than just reaching for the next row.

Thank you so much for the inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No guilt, Lisa! I've spent too many years feeling guilty for what I'm NOT doing. I've learned it's not a motivator. Instead, feel good about the five minutes on the bike and the rearranged sewing room. Every bit of movement helps, even if it is done a couple of minutes at a time. Three 10-minute sessions of movement are JUST AS EFFECTIVE as one half-hour session.

I'm so over what I should be doing and am focusing on what I am doing!

MayinJerset
October 21st, 2013, 11:22 AM
Good work Joan, keep it up.

I was never a runner but when I retired I did walk around our area about 3 times a week, flat land, up the hill, down the hill then flat land back home. Over the years arthritis in my knees made the walk shorter and shorter until I gave it up. Nowadays a trip up and down the stairs to my sewing room at least once a day is my newest workout. I walk around up there and get up to press on the other side of the room. I do get a scenic view by looking out of the upstairs windows and seeing all the neighborhood trees slowly turning their fall colors.

Each day I try to do something other than the usual household chores, Saturday I yanked some overgrown vines out and pretty much filled a garden debris bag with them, yesterday went to county library and walked a bit again when we went stopped for lunch. Today a trip to motor vehicles to renew my Handicap placard is on tap and a stop at the Dollar Store. No much by most people's idea of exercise but I try to push myself.

Claire Hallman
October 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
I did zumba this morning, trying to do that 3 times a week with weight machines 2x before my fit and feisty class. That is mostly for old ladies like me but it is keeping my old joints in motion.
We have 2 sets stairs in our house, I up and down to the basement regularly several times a day, the ones up to the bedroom are a once a day trip. I keep telling myself as long as I go up and down stairs I will be able to go up and down stairs.

kensington
October 21st, 2013, 01:24 PM
I run back and forth through my house all day long. I can't seem to sit still. I sew a bit, and go upstairs or down, I go outside and enjoy the nice weather for a few minutes each hour all day long. But, what I NEED to do is strap on those Nike's and hit the road to walk. I just won't go by myself any more. Sadly.

I hope my back and forth routine here helps some at least. DH goes to the GYM and runs 2-3 times a week. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tanya D
October 21st, 2013, 06:24 PM
I do Zumba...nice to see another Zumba enthusiast on here. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it. It's so much fun and if you love to dance, it's a great way to get that heart pumping and listen to music and move around.

I am also curling once a week.

Last weekend I tried Brooke Burke's workout video. She's the hot-bodied host on Dancing With the Stars. Ok, she's beautiful and has a great body and it's no wonder. That workout was hard. I had some issues with walking for a couple of days after the workout and stairs were a struggle! LOL

I walk the dog every night...although it's not a brisk walk as he does more sniffing than walking, it's movement.

auntiemern
October 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM
I need to get back to walking more, especially now since my surgery. I do spend a lot of time running after GK's, does that count? Like Donna, to and from my mail box is an adventure. Where in mid Mo are U? The colors here are beautiful right now.

Iris Girl
October 21st, 2013, 06:47 PM
I also need to get back to walking or riding my bicycle. Does riding the Harley count as excercise? I do have to swing my leg over the bike and backrest to get on the bike. some days that is no easy feat..

SiobhanF
October 22nd, 2013, 01:34 AM
I bought myself a fitbit to track my steps years ago, and upgraded when they made one that tracks flights of stairs. I allow myself to obsess over my step/stair count, and constantly work to improve.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 22nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
I bought myself a fitbit to track my steps years ago, and upgraded when they made one that tracks flights of stairs. I allow myself to obsess over my step/stair count, and constantly work to improve.

This is awesome! I know a lot of people for whom the fitbit really works to motivate them, so good for you. And isn't it amazing how those steps all add up?

Lisapc
October 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joan, I am not going to fret one bit about no extra movement today. I for the moment will move on Mon-Wed-Friday. When I am ready I will add Tue-Thur. I am going to keep on keeping on and check into one of those Fitbit things.

Thanks for the inspiration!

easyquilts
October 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
I have to admit it... I'm not a mover.... I often put off exercising, until later a night....not the best time, I know. I exercise 30-40 minutes,while watching TV .... It's better than nothing.....