PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jonas and the Temple of Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
October 19th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Last night I wrote about a lesson I learned from Mary Lou Wiedman's book, "Quilted Memories." Another observation from the book reminded me of a time when my five year old son Jacob was sitting inside the house on a beautiful summer day, doing nothing. "Why don't you get up and do something?" I asked him. "I am doing something, Mom. I'm thinking." I'll never forget that little boy's wisdom. Here's what Mary Lou has to say about this:

"Do you think it's a waste of time to sit on a chair in your backyard and enjoy the sights and smells? Do you allow yourself to enjoy the sun or a breeze? How about taking time to listen? Your senses are for your enjoyment and are your best tools for ideas and creativity."

I have a small porch with two rocking chairs. From it I can see three funny trees that makes me think Dr. Seuss drew them. I often do feel like I am wasting time sitting there, that I should be being productive. I like Mary Lou's take on the value of enjoying life.

Do you take the time to just sit, with nothing to distract you from really experiencing what's around you? Do you have a favorite place to relax? Can you find some time in your week to feed your senses with the beauty of this world? Mary Lou thinks it is good for your quiltmaking. It is also good for your soul.

The picture I chose for tonight's post is a quilt from my local guild's show last weekend. Isn't it wonderful?

bkthomas
October 19th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Yes, that quilt is gorgeous!!!!

Mary Ruth
October 19th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Wonderful words of wisdom. We should all take heed.

Lisapc
October 19th, 2013, 12:46 AM
I do take in my environment. It is part of who we are and we all need to know who we are. I taught my oldest to do the same and now teach the little ones. I often find hubby in a different spot on our property just sitting, looking and listening. To watch him it is like he is becoming a part of the land.

That quilt? Looks like Winnipesaukee to me. Very pretty!

pcbatiks
October 19th, 2013, 12:59 AM
There is something about sitting outdoors or just being outdoors on a pretty spring or fall day...........it soothes your soul....relaxes you.......and makes you smile!

Hulamoon
October 19th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I know why you want to get into art quilts now. I'm thinking of getting the Journal book you posted. I like small projects like that. I have a big yard but all you hear is roosters. Song birds come out but the noise clashes. My one dd has my beach chair. I think I will get it back and go sit down there. It's been awhile since I did that.

ilive2craft2
October 19th, 2013, 01:09 AM
The author sounds like a wise soul. Thanks for sharing, I am going to go look up her books.

I think that nature is a great inspiration for quilting - gardens can be orderly or wild riots of color and quilts can be either as well. Mixes of color that we like in gardens are a great starting point for picking fabric. Love that pop of yellow in the middle of a garden of purple? Take that inspiration into a quilt - it will be colors you like and remind you of your inspiration.

If we don't take time for just "being" we get too caught up and too stressed to function. Taking a few minutes out each day to breath and notice what is around you outside - sun shining on your face or a nice breeze or the scenery - helps to focus your soul and allows you to accomplish more than if you had just kept going. I have always had a hard time with this, but am getting better!

ksap
October 19th, 2013, 01:35 AM
I especially love to be still and take everything in when I am sitting by water. Unfortunately, that does not happen very often here in landlocked Kansas. I sure miss the Adirondacks!!!

My favorite place here to take in the silence is the chapel at my church. We have a separate small chapel that is open 24 hours a day. I love going there, the lights are dim, the candles are lit and there is a peaceful silence. All is well with the world when I am in there. Ahh, I love it!

Our society is too full of noise, it's everywhere. I think it is sad that between iPhones, iPads, laptops, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc our kids are rarely without some distraction. I have a feeling it is going to cause all sorts of long term problems down the road. We'll have to teach our kids to BE STILL!

Wishing everyone some quiet time for reflection and meditation this weekend!!

Kelly F
October 19th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I made several of these pillows based off of that similar idea, admiring our beautiful property here. I gave each to two lovely ladies who were in a health crisis at the time and were unable to tend to their flower gardens. So I brought the gardens to them. I have farm scenes and barn scenes that I am making to share with family , of what I experience every day on my farm.

I feel very blessed to live in Heaven on earth. Just this morning, Rosie and I were feeding the chickens (my elderly pug). The cows had been moved to the pasture just behind us and they were mooing from one field to the next saying, "Betty, I am over here!".. "Bernadette , hon, I am over here now." At least, in my imagination that is what they are saying. I love it so much. Such a special way for me and Rosie to start our day!

So yes, I try to remember to take it in, and when I forget the sounds I hear remind me.

Hulamoon
October 19th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Can I have a happy moment here:) I had my embroidery machine fixed with a serious problem and serious $$ a couple of months ago. I have been waking up every morning knowing I had to get it going. So my happy chair today was that it was smooth going:) Except I started with the wrong sequence of colors. lol

ilive2craft2
October 19th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Can I have a happy moment here:) I had my embroidery machine fixed with a serious problem and serious $$ a couple of months ago. I have been waking up every morning knowing I had to get it going. So my happy chair today was that it was smooth going:) Except I started with the wrong sequence of colors. lol

That's fantastic! Except for the wrong sequence of colors. I have to set mine out in order and if any are repeats, I stick a bobbin or something in that place with a sticky note on it with the color to repeat. I need to embroider something again!

Hulamoon
October 19th, 2013, 02:09 AM
That's fantastic! Except for the wrong sequence of colors. I have to set mine out in order and if any are repeats, I stick a bobbin or something in that place with a sticky note on it with the color to repeat. I need to embroider something again!

I got all the colors out and the machine shows the order but I went from bottom to top. I'm so glad I didn't walk away. The material was wasted but at least I don't have to wind more bobbin thread. hehe

MayinJerset
October 19th, 2013, 03:41 AM
I always liked to sit on our deck at look at the trees and flowers in our backyard and just let my mind wander, maybe about things I need to do or just thinking of someone or someplace pleasant. Most of the flowers and trees are gone now but there are branches of neighbor's trees to look at, the sky and sunset, birds singing and always a few squirrels running back and forth on top of our fence.

It is called Stopping to Smell the Roses....something we all need to do every once in awhile. So do it wherever it 'your place' to spend some time recharging your energy and your mind.

Slept from 8:30 to 1:30, that is a longtime for me, so now I'll catch up here and with my emails before trying for another 3 or 4 hours.

HdWench
October 19th, 2013, 04:00 AM
That quilt is stunning and a place you could sit, look over that lake and lose yourself in hours of peace.

Agree we are bombarded with noise, to me that is why society struggles with school shooting, people driving like maniacs *sigh* and what effect is this having on the i-pad, smart phone always busy noise kids?

Do you take the time to just sit, with nothing to distract you from really experiencing what's around you?

Yes I often distance myself from reality! :icon_heh: With cats you can learn so much about sitting and seeming to do nothing

Do you have a favorite place to relax? Can you find some time in your week to feed your senses with the beauty of this world?

Right now my favorite place is on the sofa with usually 3 of our cats with me. Bonnie loves to make my arm wrap her a certain way, then buries her head face down in a pillow. Like she is praying, I watch them which heals my soul and helps make me relax. I too put "voices" in my mind of what they are thinking! Sandy likes to pick up habits from the others - now it is pretending to snore, playing fetch like a dog, and sitting on the back of the couch watching me watch Bonnie. I think she knows we are on limited time, as she is very jealous of my sweet talk and time with the others. Perhaps our little siamase/himi cat will jump on the other side of me - That is when I feel I'm in heaven. Peace and love all around me, no TV, no radio just beautiful eyes looking at me, loving purrs and soft fur to pet. It really takes your whole body down a notch to just sit and pet an animal.

oops a book -- this time of year it's so lovely in the Desert to sit outside and watch the Quail walk their babies, more like marching around the grounds. If you are still and quiet, a hummingbird will come taste the Carolina Jasmine or Honeysuckle with their soft little wings flapping so hard. We have rabbits that sneak between the fencing to come drink at the waterfall along with the doves cooing and quail marching. hmm like a mini-animal parade but only if you sit still and quiet.

Hope everyone grabs 1/2 hour to go sit still and enjoy all the beauty around you

:-Debbie

bkthomas
October 19th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Oh My Gosh! I just now noticed your title tonight!! "Jonas" please tell your Dear Hubby Hello from bkthomas....

Kgrammiecaz
October 19th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Finding quiet downtime is difficult most of the time. What I enjoy is when the house is empty - its just me and whatever. Watching TV or reading or sewing is so much nicer. Thats my time for my mind to wander about all that is good, all that I love about life, etc

Your post is good words to read as a reminder to us to find time for our minds no matter how we find it

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the morn

Iris Girl
October 19th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I love sitting outside and watching the hummers or other birds, the neighborhood cats stalking all critters (my kitty never goes outside)butterflies , bees trees flowers. I like to take a nice walk in the woods it gets your mind going or cleared to go. Never did understand those rush rush people always to busy to look at our wonderful nature.
I am a people watcher..as a cashier in slow times I love to watch the customers see how they act. Funny story is one of our fairly regulars is a cross dresser. He (used loosely) always comes in as a woman now mind you , you can tell its not female, even though he is in wig , heels, dress etc. Always cracks me up. one day he came in as himself..I recognized him right away..and almost said something about the no dress but shut up fast. I always wonder what goes through thier heads when they come to same cashier repeatedly and then one day are the opposite sex . Do they know we can tell?

Andrea F
October 19th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Cyndi, thank you so much for this post, this is so right up my alley!

During my course of studies, I learned about a buddhist principle that is called mindfulness and that can be trained by mindfulness meditation. The core of this concept is to focus on the present moment, just experiencing and perceiving what happens without judging any of it.

So when you sit in a rocking chair, see the nature around you, experience the smells and sounds like birds chirping, you do some kind of mindfulness meditation. (Keeping a mindful mindset has been scientifically proven to have a lot of positve outcomes, for instance on health, on chronic pain, on attitudes etc.)

I believe we all should do this more often, like on a regular daily basis. I try to take some time every day to perceive the peace and beauty of a few moments. But I have to admit that it takes some effort because of all the stuff you have going on in your lives and oftentimes I am too distracted by other things and just forget to do it.

Mary Lou seems to be a very wise person and we all should listen to her :) And the quilt is amazing, I love it.

Granny Judy
October 19th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I am sorry to have missed the past 2 nights of owl talk.. just re adjusted some meds and am sleeping nights again.

I seemed to have been doing the "smelling of roses" for most of my life. My habit of sitting out side after the evening meal and "relaxing" has brought me many joys and insights about life and the nature of things. I continue this for as long as the weather permits other wise I'll be at the window in my sewing area watching mama Nature do her thing with my world. I just listen and enjoy the moments spent alone.

Then it's time to face the sink full of dirty dishes --

cyndiofthevortex
October 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Oh My Gosh! I just now noticed your title tonight!! "Jonas" please tell your Dear Hubby Hello from bkthomas....Kathy, that was a total accident! I didn't even notice it until after it had already been posted! He liked that he was part of the night owl post. I will tell Jonas you said hi.

Lindagie
October 19th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Watched the StL Cardinals beat up on LA Dodgers last night to get into the World Series so missed everything else.
I love sitting outside and watching all the birds and animals flitting and running around. Its a great time to just relax and enjoy life in its simplest form. Sometimes I think about things, other times not so much. Sometimes I get an inspiration for a quilt, but then translating that to paper and then reality doesn't always work out; but that's ok. It is fun to think of new things to do.
THis morning I took Torre out for a walk and it was really a cold, Fall day after the rain we got during the night. Hope it warms up a little; not quite ready for winter winds just yet. The leaves haven't even changed colors too much yet.