PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - it's gonna be a great day

Blondie
October 17th, 2013, 06:40 AM

Hello Folksies!

Thursday is here and beginning, for our friends on the other end of the world, it is ending. It is five a.m. here, I am enjoying my second cuppa while in other parts of the country, the night owls are just revving up. It brings to mind the Chicago classic, does anybody really know what time it is? Oh geesh, I could get really philosophical and have a deep convo about time, life, etc. Don 't sweat it, I won't. Heckfire shoot, the only thing I care about time is that I am not late for appointments. I am absolutely nutsy about being on time. Growing up my Mom would always have the clock set ahead about 5 minutes to make sure everyone would be on time. Once we figured out the clock was fast we could do a mental adjustment - still, something about the hands of time moving on the clock would keep us arriving at our destinations safely within the right time. I am the kind of person who would rather be early and wait on someone than be late. The only time I get aggravated with waiting is of course for dr appts. Even with the sore hiney from sitting and waiting when I have been on time, I have learned patience and to keep a sweet tongue in my mouth. And I always have something to stitch while waiting. It is far more acceptable to stab a needle through fabric with thread pretending it is someone's eye than to actually carry out the actual thought, don't you think?

So, it is Thursday. A wonderful day to have to work! We are being told some rain is on it's way. I guess that is okay. I have lost track of the levels here recently, especially since our crops are finished. Hoping that you can find something funny to laugh at today, even if it's yourself. That always works for me.

Hugs, blessings, smiles and a hand extended to help you on your way -

Madeforyouinma11
October 17th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Morning Blondie and the rest of my forum friends!
Time is a funny thing...some days there's just not enough and others seem like they'll never end. I think today is going to be the latter if I can't get some sleep soon.
I went to bed about and hour ago and here I am, wide awake. Around 4am I thought I would check my etsy store and to my surprise someone bought the quilt that I had listed! It's a custom order, so I will start making it today or tomorrow. I was so excited, so needless to say, I will be smiling today.
Not too much of anything else going on in my world. Trying to get some of my sewing done and working on some things for my swap buddy.
Well, I'm off to read a bit and then I'm gonna try to get some sleep.
Hoping all of you have a wonderful day!

Bubby
October 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Good Morning,

I'm thrilled to say we have water again. You don't realize what a luxury it is until you don't have it....for 4 days! It will take me most of today to catch up with the laundry and wash all Jeff's muddy work clothes. They are so bad we are going to power wash them before they go into the washer. There's nothing quite like Missouri mud!!

I played a little bit with my embroidery machine the past few days. I wish I had come to machine embroidery much sooner, but quilts have always captured my passion.

We had rain over the night and it's down right chilly out this morning. The Girls are up and have been outdoors for the first time today....after a cookie snack they are taking a little nap waiting for Jeff to get up so they can torment him!!

Have a great day at work everyone....especially our Blondie.

Hugs All Around....

Monique
October 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Good day to all. I also hate to be late. Drives me crazy.

Well it looks like I will have work for the next couple of months at least. My hours will be 8-12 or 1 every day and Sat. 9-12. It sure is better than the split shifts I was working. So, I will accept this assignment. With Christmas coming and vehicles needing fixing, the money will come in handy for sure. I need to get motivated to get into my sewing room. Maybe this afternoon.

Well on that note, y'all have a fantastic day.

Cathy F
October 17th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Morning all,
It's supposed to be a nice day here but too early to tell yet as it's just getting light out.

Blondie, being punctual was drilled into us also growing up and I'm like you would rather be early than late.
Madeforyouinma11, funny you should mention that about time, Tues. Was our 47th anniversary and my husband said to me while we were at dinner"where did the years go seems just like yesterday we were married". Time seems to fly by faster the older I get.
Finished a sewing project yesterday. Will start making my holiday sewing list and get to working on it because the way time flies Christmas will be here before you know it.

MRoy
October 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Good morning! I hate to be late and DH comes in at the last minute to get ready to go anywhere so, like Blondie's sweet mother, I keep the clock in the living room 5 minutes fast. I live on Central time and worked on Eastern time for many years. I left home at 7 CT, drove 30 minutes, and arrived at 8:30 ET. You adjust and get used to it after awhile.

Barb, I'm glad you got water back. When we hooked up on the city water system, we had the plumber install a valve in the basement so we can switch back to country (well) water if needed. That has come in handy a few times.

I'm still fighting off a cold and it's chilly and rainy here. Perfect weather to have a cold...but it could be worse! Hope everyone has a great day.

buckeyequilter
October 17th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Good morning....

The setting moon was beautiful this morning. I have a lot to get done today as I'm off tomorrow. Talk about time, at work 8 hours can seem like 8 days. At home 8 hours seems like 8 minutes LOL. Oh well, I'm thankful to have a job.

I am so looking forward to our little outing to Sugarcreek. I am looking forward to going to the quilt shop and I even found a gun shop for DH to visit, too bad they are not next to each other :) Maybe I should open a shop called "Quilts & Guns".....bet that would get some business.

Like Cathy said...Christmas will be here soon, hopefully I can find a few Christmas gifts tomorrow. I think I'm going to make the kids and grandkids a basket this year and put some old fashioned candy, small gifts and a gift card in it. The grandkids are getting older and more difficult to buy for. I was hoping to have a quilt for each of them, but since I lost interest in sewing for a few months, that didn't happen. I'll just make the quilts later and give them a "just because" gift.

Well need to get busy. Have a wonderful day...prayers & hugs

MayinJerset
October 17th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Good Morning from another who likes to be on time. I often meet with my cousins who are always late. Say we are to meet for lunch somewhere at 1pm, that's the time they begin to get ready to leave their house so of course they are late for our appointment. DH does the 'trick' with setting his clock and watch ahead but ignores both and is either very early or very late.

Speaking of DH he finally is getting around to adding a shelf next to my sewing desk, it will be on my left and give me more room to work especially when quilting a big quilt. He and our son moved the desk so I can clean the floor and wall behind it. While the desk is moved I can recover the foam boards I have lining the wall behind the desk, a new light blue felt will look nice and refresh the room. I pin blocks and photos of quilts on the felt covered foam boards, sort of a mini design wall.

Under the new shelf I'll keep a plastic IKEA tote for my scraps and another one for my current project. Room could use a painting but can't do it at this time so I'll clean the rug, change the curtain and get my other fabric storage totes labeled and lined up neatly under my cutting table, that should give the room a boost. I better finish my coffee and get to work on my sewing room so I can cross off "Shelf for Sewing Desk & Sewing room Clean up" off my TO DO LIST! (Little private joke with other Night Owls)

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Good morning all!

I love that little sign. Never let anything affect your striving for a happy life. Goes along with what I heard from my older siblings (they were teens and I was little and it stuck for along time) the best revenge for is being happy, karma is real.

I always arrive early for Dr's appointments with a book. Then I usually don't notice if they take forever to call me in. When it is a social thing or a family appointment hubby drives me nuts. He is ready a 1/2 hour before we leave and he is all antsy and the fact that I am calm just getting our son ready to go or Brenna and everyone settled before we leave seems to drive him crazy. We are never late and I really don't know why he gets like that so I just ignore him.

Cil: Congratulations! I hope you have many more sales.

I wish everyone a great day with a belly laugh and prayers to all!

nyscpa2be
October 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Good morning everyone! My parents do the clock ahead thing too. Watching TV is tough that way though, so I just keep checking the computer clock.

Today is bright and sunny - a major difference from yesterday - so my plan is to get laundry going, and then finish sewing the top for my Iron Quilter project. It's a difficult pattern, so I hope I don't mess up. I also need to go to the bank, but will get as much finished as possible. As soon as the top to my project is done, I need to clear off the table and cut out a Laura Ingalls dress for my niece's Halloween costume. Which also reminds me - we have no interfacing that can be found. So yet another stop somewhere.

Sandy Navas
October 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I'm sending everyone a little bit of my DH . . . I remember him insisting one time that we leave home 5 hours ahead of time to catch an international flight. Yeah, you've got it. He's NEVER been late for anything. Unfortunately, he's so time conscious that he drills me over and over about what time I have to be somewhere - makes me think he wants me gone . . . http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-14Al9ksU1lg/T3CWaEtlJtI/AAAAAAAAFBc/ZMZ6507TAd0/s400/clock_ticking.jpg (http://sidschwab.blogspot.com/2012/03/clock-is-ticking.html)

Caught a sale at Michaels yesterday and did pick up a dozen 12x12 scrapbooking totes - I find that they are wonderful for quilting projects (hold those individual blocks stacked . . . yummy).

Trip to M* canceled today - traveling buddy isn't up to par. Guess it's a good thing for me though as I have a full day's cleaning lined up (anyone know a quick cure for an aching back?).

You'all have a wonderful one and keep smiling. Meanwhile, if I hear anything 'ticking' I'm turning and running for cover.

nyscpa2be
October 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Trip to M* canceled today - traveling buddy isn't up to par. Guess it's a good thing for me though as I have a full day's cleaning lined up (anyone know a quick cure for an aching back?).

My only thought is hiring a cleaning crew. But only if it doesn't cut into the quilting budget.

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Guess it's a good thing for me though as I have a full day's cleaning lined up (anyone know a quick cure for an aching back?).

You'all have a wonderful one and keep smiling. Meanwhile, if I hear anything 'ticking' I'm turning and running for cover.

My cure for an aching back when Brenna is over is that she does the cleaning and the kids chasing, even mine and I relax on the couch. Maybe you enjoy today and let someone else clean for a change? I think you deserve a break!

CrazyMtnLady
October 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Good morning everyone. Blondie you always make me smile. :)
Barb: so glad you have your water back. I know what it is like to live without the convenience of water. When we first moved here we did not have a well for over 3 years or so. At first we got water from the gas station in town in 15 gallon barrels and bought bottled water for drinking. Then I started hauling 3, 55 gallon barrels from our neighbors. We used the barrels with a pump system that ran the water through the house system. I was elated when we got a well.
Shirley: I love the sound of Quilts & Guns. I have tried selling some of my wall-hangings along side DH's guns at his gun shows but with no luck. I think because there just aren't enough women that come to the gun shows. I think I have to use more camo fabric and maybe they would sell...LOL. DH wants me to make some gun socks or gun sleeves. So I am trying to come up with a pattern and look that I like.

Hope you all have a fantastic day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

GrammaBabs
October 17th, 2013, 11:24 AM
If I could save time in a bottle!!!!!!! :) Love to all... my DH has an on time thing as well,, hence I am always on time.. I just relax and leave it up to him,,, when to leave, when to get ready, when to arrive, and get up with plenty of time to do what I need to do accordingly.... ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the live of a retired lady... the rush, rush, gotta, haveta, days are gone.. I did them and hope they never come back..LOL... I'm the tolerant type.. I've found that no matter how I plan and work at it... you can't control things anyway,, always set backs and disruptions... I just strive NOT to be the cause... heheheheheh.... I NEVER get upset if people or Dr. are late.. ya' never know the why.. as long as they give me their time when it's MY turn..!!!

ksap
October 17th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Good Morning from sunny Kansas. We have been enjoying perfect autumn weather. I just love it!!

I was raised by parents who were never late to anything, in fact they were always early. They are now 78 and nothing has changed. They go to 5:00 Mass every Saturday night and you can be guaranteed that they are sitting in the pew at 4:30. Some might say that's way too early but Mom would reply that there's nothing wrong with spending a few extra minutes with The Lord. How can you argue with that? :)

So it makes sense that I am one of those people who like to be on time. That wasn't a problem until I married a man who is late to everything!!!! Drives me crazy and has been the cause of plenty of arguments. If he is running really late, then I grab my car keys and tell him that I will meet him there. It is a waste of gas but it spares us from arguing.

I am planning on getting a lot of sewing done today. I am almost done with the quilting on my class project. It is a crib size Woven Basket quilt that I am making for my mom to use as a throw. I used primitive fabrics that will look prefect in her house filled with antiques. I can't wait to give it to her. I have heard you ladies say it before, that's one of the reasons people quilt, they love to give their creations to others. I agree wholeheartedly!!

Wishing everyone a great day!

buckeyequilter
October 17th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Good morning all!

I love that little sign. Never let anything affect your striving for a happy life. Goes along with what I heard from my older siblings (they were teens and I was little and it stuck for along time) the best revenge for is being happy, karma is real.

I always arrive early for Dr's appointments with a book. Then I usually don't notice if they take forever to call me in. When it is a social thing or a family appointment hubby drives me nuts. He is ready a 1/2 hour before we leave and he is all antsy and the fact that I am calm just getting our son ready to go or Brenna and everyone settled before we leave seems to drive him crazy. We are never late and I really don't know why he gets like that so I just ignore him.

Cil: Congratulations! I hope you have many more sales.

I wish everyone a great day with a belly laugh and prayers to all!

My hubby does the same thing....he's ready an hour ahead of time and then paces. I told him one day to go find something to do because he was making me nervous.

aliaslaceygreen
October 17th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Good morning! My grandmother had ALL clocks in the house 10 minutes fast. My grandfather adjusted backwards and was ALWAYS 10 minutes late. She wouldn't even attend the same mass with him because she needed to be early and he needed to sneak in at the homily! Great fun memory!

Sun is back. We had rain 7 days straight, a day of sun and then yesterday it was threatening all day... but I look out that window and I see SUN!!!!!!!

Hope it lasts through the weekend. We are going to the Highland Games Saturday (done THAT in the rain b4) and then heading up into the Blue Ridge with the InLaws on Sunday (a penance day for both of us really. While the scenery may be lovely, my FIL is a blowhard and all day in the car may cause me to follow Blondie's advice and STAB my needle into some fabric repeatedly)...

Tomorrow night I am doing a presentation at the Richmond Modern Quilt guild on Christmas ornaments/pins. This morning I worked on the sample. Nothing like being ahead of things!!

Take care, all!

MayinJerset
October 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM
My hubby does the same thing....he's ready an hour ahead of time and then paces. I told him one day to go find something to do because he was making me nervous.

But when I tell my ready too early and eager to leave DH to go find something to do he will start reading a book that he can't put down, watch a sports and has to wait and see who wins or just goes and 'rests' on the couch and I have to wake him go when it is the real time to leave. Sometimes you can win.................. May

Terri
October 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Didn't mean to step into Blondie's "Good Morning" time slot this morning....being up all night sort of got me in ahead of her. Needless to say, my posts are not as uplifting and as inspiring as our sweet Blondie's are. :D

I too had a mother who set her own alarm at least 15 minutes fast, was never late and always made sure that none of us were ever late for anything. That definitely carried over into my adult life. I don't keep any clocks set fast, but I am always early. My personal saying is: "If I'm not at least 20 minutes early...then I am late!" My DH on the other hand likes to arrive "right on time"....at most 5 minutes before something begin, and he knows it makes me NUTS!! But after 33 years I have learned that it's our differences (both good & bad that make us so good together :icon_hug:)

Two of our sons have taken after me and arrive early to very early for everything and the other two sons have taken after their dad and arrive right on time. So I guess we evenly influenced them! lol