PDA

View Full Version : For once and for all...Holland vs The Netherlands ;)

Klasien
October 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM
During my trips to the States there are always two most asked questions: "How do I say your name...?" and " What is your country called, Holland or The Netherlands...?"

So here is a little story ;)

Calling The Netherlands "Holland" is like calling the United States of America "Dakota"
The Netherlands is devided in 12 provinces 1 is called North Holland and 1 is called South Holland.
That is, as you can tell, simular to the Dakotas.
The Netherlands is the official english name of our country (Nederland in Dutch) Holland has nothing to do with it!

This little video clips tells and shows it all.......but: Hold on tight it is going FAST!!!!!

Holland vs the Netherlands - YouTube (http://youtu.be/eE_IUPInEuc)

Hope you all know by now how Holland and The Netherlands are gettting mixed up all the time, but you also know by now everything about our little country, called The Netherlands!!

The other question about saying my name.......well we should meet in person so I can tell you.......LOL

Have a great day!!

turena65
October 17th, 2013, 06:24 AM
I love it~! That was fascinating :) I learned much, had no idea that Holland is divided into North and South.... VERY nice history lesson.... thank you! :)

Klasien
October 17th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I love it~! That was fascinating :) I learned much, had no idea that Holland is divided into North and South.... VERY nice history lesson.... thank you! :)

Well..........It is The Netherland!
There are two out of the 12 provinces called North Holland and South Holland!!!
Just like States..........only smaller and called Provinces!!

buckeyequilter
October 17th, 2013, 06:36 AM
That was educational and funny. Thanks for sharing it.

Blondie
October 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Very interesting. And yes, very fast. Just right for my short attention span but fast enough to leave me thinking, What the heckfire shoot did I just learn? Fascinating tidbits.

Suzette
October 17th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Very informative! Boy, it does go fast! But I I still managed to learn a lot. Thanks for sharing Klaisien! :icon_happy:

SandyWhite
October 17th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Here's a nice map from Wikipedia for those who are interested. They also have an interesting article. I love reading about geography and history in all parts of our world.

Sandy White in a tiny little corner of Lucas County Ohio. :icon_wave:

Klasien
October 17th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Here's a nice map from Wikipedia for those who are interested. They also have an interesting article. I love reading about geography and history in all parts of our world.

Sandy White in a tiny little corner of Lucas County Ohio. :icon_wave:

That is so cool!
We are up north, in the little blue province on your map, called Drenthe.
My hometown is close to the town Emmen, mentiond on the map, so as you can see we are very close to Germany!
Lenie is all the way down south, in the green colord province called Limburg.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 17th, 2013, 09:47 AM
That was a great geography/history lesson! Thanks for sharing!

nyscpa2be
October 17th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks so much for the history lesson! In researching my dad's family, I came to realize just how often borders and names could change in Europe. Your post prompted me to go look again, and it looks like my great-great-grandparents were actually Danish, even though we call ourselves German. And your post taught me something else - I had always assumed that the Hague was in Belgium.

Föhr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%B6hr)

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Very interesting, so nice to know more about where you are from and our world. Thank you!

Carolyn23
October 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM
That was neat! Now if I could just retain it all!

CrazyMtnLady
October 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I love learning history and things like this. Thank you for sharing.

SallyO'Sews
October 17th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, Klasien! The next time you're in the US, you must visit New England. It's not a state; it's a group of 6 states in the northeast corner of the country, comprised of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. There are several New Englanders here on the Forum; maybe we could all meet somewhere!

Or maybe someday, I'll be able to visit the Netherlands! Either way is good with me. :icon_happy:

Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

Precious1
October 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM
LOVED IT!! Especially the info about the Caribbean islands. I've been to St. Martin, Dutch side, and Aruba. Also reminds me of the history of where I'm from, the US Virgin Islands. They where under six flags before the US bought them. The Dutch flag was one of them.

Gayle8675309
October 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Very interesting!

bakermom
October 17th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks! that was very interesting.

I then clicked on the explanation for United Kingdom/Great Britain, another area i find confusing.

Klasien
October 17th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Klasien! The next time you're in the US, you must visit New England. It's not a state; it's a group of 6 states in the northeast corner of the country, comprised of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. There are several New Englanders here on the Forum; maybe we could all meet somewhere!

Or maybe someday, I'll be able to visit the Netherlands! Either way is good with me. :icon_happy:

Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

I have been to five of those states, only Maine I did not visit, it is beautiful up there!

auntiemern
October 17th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks for letting us all know. You had already explained it to me, but happy that you shared with everyone else. I also finally know how to pronounce your name, although I do have trouble speaking it the right way, and not the way I had it in my brain all that time.

kensington
October 17th, 2013, 01:26 PM
We all got this lesson in geography at dinner! LOL. But, the map is a great help! Much easier to put it all together, and I did finally get your name right! Woot!

Hulamoon
October 17th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Wow that video WAS fast! lol Very interesting!

The strange thing about Hawaii is that the Big Island is Hawaii but they call the whole chain of islands Hawaii. So if you say your going to Hawaii someone will ask what island. Hawaii. No but what island. lol

It's like that old baseball joke.. Who's on first. Who lol

K. McEuen
October 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
How weird is it that I've seen that video before? Have you posted it here before? Because if you haven't, I have no clue why I would have seen it!

Klasien
October 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM
How weird is it that I've seen that video before? Have you posted it here before? Because if you haven't, I have no clue why I would have seen it!

I don't think I have posted this before.....just thought about it last night when I was telling my mom about all the questions :)

MartinaG
October 17th, 2013, 06:31 PM
My sister told me that she spent a week's vacation in Holland. Now I'll have to ask her whether she was in North or South Holland or somwhere else in the Niederlande.

Sheena
October 18th, 2013, 03:47 AM
That was very interesting, Klasien.

In my head I say your name as Klar- see- yen. Pronounced in an English way.

ilive2craft2
October 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks so much - that was fascinating! Loved the fast pace.

Gayle Russell
October 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Thank you Klaisen for sharing this! Very educational. What a beautiful place you live in.

Poppytree
October 20th, 2013, 01:11 AM
......... and you think that's confusing - imagine what its like for me coming from England, UK and GB

The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10&feature=share&list=PLqs5ohhass_TF9mg-mqLie7Fqq1-FzOQc)

snippet
October 21st, 2013, 12:36 AM
That was a fun geography lesson! I understood most of it, but fell short when he mentioned Bonaire as a city of the Netherlands. I thought it was an island just like the rest of the ABC islands - a full country that's part of the Netherlands.

Klasien is right, you need to hear her pronounce her name. I loved listening to her talk, she has a beautiful accent.

It is pronounced something like claw-seen.

kensington
October 21st, 2013, 01:52 AM
That was a fun geography lesson! I understood most of it, but fell short when he mentioned Bonaire as a city of the Netherlands. I thought it was an island just like the rest of the ABC islands - a full country that's part of the Netherlands.

Klasien is right, you need to hear her pronounce her name. I loved listening to her talk, she has a beautiful accent.

It is pronounced something like claw-seen.

Hmmm she told me Clay-seen. I thought. I could have listened wrong.

K. McEuen
October 21st, 2013, 02:07 AM
short A - long E claw-seen

auntiemern
October 21st, 2013, 02:23 AM
I was thinking more like Clah-Seen, lol. It is a beautiful name for a beautiful lady. Both inside and out.

Klasien
October 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
Okay......

Klasien: Klas........as in the first 3 letters from Class in British.......Si as in Spanish yes.........add an N and your done!

If it is still hard......give me a call and I will tell you......(or let's meet in person :) )

Klasien
October 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
I was thinking more like Clah-Seen, lol. It is a beautiful name for a beautiful lady. Both inside and out.

That is so sweet Marilyn!! Thanks!

Momofmonsters5
October 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
First thing I thought when I saw this thread is holland is the Netherlands. I have two friends from the Netherlands and they took us on a trip there last year. My hubby loves the cigars from there. Have a fabulous week