PDA

View Full Version : Question - Why Do We Do Charity Quilting?

grandmasieg
October 16th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I have to share this experience I had recently. First the background. I've been sewing since I was a wee lass. I sewed my daughter's clothes, prom dresses, wedding gown, etc. I've done a lot of sewing in 50 years! I made quilts for my grandsons when they were born, but I really got into quilting when my husband was sick and I spent a year in and out of the hospital with him. One of the hospitals he was in has a NICU unit and one of the nurses saw one of the quilts I was working on and asked if I made quilts for the NICU. I thought about it but didn't pursue the idea until after my husband passed away six years ago. I bought panels and quilted them, bound them, and took them over to the NICU unit. I've probably made over 100 crib quilts in the past six years. Now the experience:

I was at a local mall and noticed a lady pushing a stroller with the cutest little boy holding on tightly to a panel quilt. I approached her and asked her if her baby spent time in the NICU and she said he was born premature and spent 3 months there. She asked me why and I told her that I made the quilt her baby boy was holding onto so tightly. She burst into tears and hugged me and thanked me so much. She explained that the quilt was hanging over his incubator the whole time he was in the NICU and when they brought him home the quilt was his covering in his crib. It is his "blankey" and he never goes anywhere without it. She even said she has to wait until he is asleep to wash it. I asked her if I could make John a new crib quilt as this one is two years old and she said she didn't think anything will ever replace his "Blankey". I told her I understood, my 15 year old grandson has shreds of his blankey I made him when he was born!

I continue to make quilts for the NICU and for our local VETs. I really don't need this experience to know how much they are appreciated but it sure was a moving experience and I now have a little friend for life. Just had to share this experience!

Hugs!
Debbie

Jean Sewing Machine
October 16th, 2013, 11:05 PM
That is the most amazing story! Thanks for sharing it!

alliek
October 16th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Oh Debbie, what a lovely story! How wonderful for you to see the "fruits" of your quilts. God Bless you as you make your NICU quilts and blessings on all those sweet babies that received them.

PeggyM
October 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Oh, my gosh. You saw the fruits of your labor. What a wonderful feeling that must have been. There's your answer. This is something I plan to do when I retire in 4 years, 9 months and 9 days. Not that I'm counting.

ilive2craft2
October 16th, 2013, 11:10 PM
How wonderful - I got chills/goosebumps as I read it.

Gayle8675309
October 16th, 2013, 11:11 PM
That is a wonderful story. Bless you for all that you do.

Cat n bull
October 16th, 2013, 11:18 PM
:icon_hug:

What a WONDERFUL story!

Lilly
October 16th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I am so inspired! As soon as I catch up I want to follow your sweet example!

auntiemern
October 16th, 2013, 11:24 PM
What a wonderful story. I know exactly how you feel. I saw one of my charity quilts being used by a very ill little guy. It makes you smile and cry at the same time. Thank you for what you do. Truly a gal after my own heart.

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Tears, tears, tears - you could not have said it more . . . perfectly!!! I cannot imagine how you felt after talking to this wonderful, so thankful Mother!!!

Yes, that's why we do charity quilting . . . because we are loving, compassionate, and giving people who know the joy of life!!!!!

Kgrammiecaz
October 16th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Thank you for sharing. I am going to share with my daughter as as well. She is an RN and worked in the NICU for three years. She said those parents aye so very grateful for all that crafters do for them. I was crocheting baby hats all the time. I crochetedseveral baby afghan and baby set when my daughter had a baby for a long length of time and then they finally went home. I just want you all to know how much it means to them

I am so glad you had this experience even though not needed. It makes the heart feel good

Kat 2
October 16th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Those are the times that tell you that every minute you spent making those quilts was worth it.

My DH and I are close friends with someone I've known since we were kids. When his father passed away about 5 years ago I want to do something more than send flowers to him and his mother so I made a quilt for his mother using her favorite colors. Too this day every time I see her she tells me how much she loves that quilt. I'm so glad I spent the time to make the quilt rather that send flowers that time.

MayinJerset
October 17th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Debbie, Thank you for sharing such a touching story and for making so many charity quilts that touched so many lives.

In my guild we call them Giving Quilts and that's what they are as the makers give of themselves as well as their time, fabrics and energy to do something for someone else. Very rarely do we get thanked for it but that's not why we do it. Keep up the great work.

isew4kidz
October 17th, 2013, 12:13 AM
What a blessing!!!! You are so sweet to do that!!!!

Quilted Fantasies
October 17th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Best story in a long time. I'll tell my mom that tomorrow. She and others in her retirement home make receiving blankets for the newborns at their local hospital.

Hulamoon
October 17th, 2013, 01:17 AM
What a special story. It brought tears to my eyes as well.

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 01:27 AM
How wonderful! You make and give those quilts from your heart and you don't ask for a pat on the back for it. True charity and that little boys face and his success will be with you in every quilt from here on out. Good job!

easyquilts
October 17th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Your story brought tears to my eyes...

I had a similar....but nit nearly as wonderful...experience... I used to make lots of crocheted blankets and later on, quilts, for Ptoject Linus... One day I was in the grocery store, and saw a similar scene... Little kid clutching his blankie... I talked to the mom, and while the quilt was not one of mine, it was a PL quilt... It was actually the blankie of a brother, who had passed away as an infant.

Your story has inspired and motivated me to get serious about my charity quilting again. Some if the girls on my quilt club go to a sew in every couple of months to make quilts for a particular hospital... I can't go, but I can start sewing!

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience,,

pcbatiks
October 17th, 2013, 02:31 AM
What a story, Debbie! I got teary eyed also. I think God allows those chance meetings from time to time just to remind us all what a difference those quilts make. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Iris Girl
October 17th, 2013, 05:42 AM
what a wonderful feeling for you. It gave me chills reading it.