PDA

View Full Version : Help! BHG Heirloom Christmas Stockings in Cross Stitch

sally
October 16th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I know this is not quilting but as fellow crafters I hope someone can help. I have an old magazine with directions for 4 stockings and the material required in my magazine is 20 x 14 stitched over 2 threads BUT I am know that a book was issued featuring just the stockings and gave a size of 27 X 17 stitched over ? threads. Both using 25 count mushroom Lugana. Can anyone shed some light on this...naturally I would prefer the bigger size.

Shauna

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 02:12 AM
I would go with the bigger size.

toggpine
October 17th, 2013, 02:57 AM
After my first attempt to try to figure this out, many years ago, that resulted in me stitching a scene on micro-small count, I have a few answers.
Lugana is a linen-type material. You stitch over two threads of the weave to make the background less noticeable.
Aida is the thicker woven stuff. It varies in counts from 11 "threads" to the inch down to at least 18. The most common being the 14count. This is normally stitched over one "thread".

If the pattern doesn't specify that you stitch over two, or more, threads then you are probably dealing with an aida cloth and your stitches will be bigger than on the Lugana. Thus the reason for a larger piece of material.

Since I have been working on the cross stitch piece in question since 1987, I can strongly recommend that you choose the larger weave. Or, at least get a really good pair of glasses.

Good luck!

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 03:00 AM
After my first attempt to try to figure this out, many years ago, that resulted in me stitching a scene on micro-small count, I have a few answers.
Lugana is a linen-type material. You stitch over two threads of the weave to make the background less noticeable.
Aida is the thicker woven stuff. It varies in counts from 11 "threads" to the inch down to at least 18. The most common being the 14count. This is normally stitched over one "thread".

If the pattern doesn't specify that you stitch over two, or more, threads then you are probably dealing with an aida cloth and your stitches will be bigger than on the Lugana. Thus the reason for a larger piece of material.

Since I have been working on the cross stitch piece in question since 1987, I can strongly recommend that you choose the larger weave. Or, at least get a really good pair of glasses.

Good luck!

What I meant with a way better explanation. Clue it is time for bed. G'night ladies!

sally
October 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Going with the bigger size on Laguana and now that I wear glasses all is good...

Thank you!

toggpine
October 30th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Good luck! I'm sure it will be beautiful when you are finished.

Bubby
October 30th, 2013, 08:50 PM
If you will give me the stitch count of your graph I will tell you how big your stocking(s) will turn out. 27x17 is probably not correct....that would be a huge stocking. Just post the number of stitches vertical and horizontal and I can calculate it for you.....OR

To calculate the finished size of your stitched stockings, and if you choose to use the Lugana fabric which gives you 12.5 stitches per inch, just divide the length and width by 12.5. Here's an example: Let's say you have a total of 200 stitches up and down on your chart and you have 125 stitches side to side. 200 divided by 12.5 = 16 & 125 divided by 12.5 = 10. Your stocking would be 16 inches tall and 10 inches wide.

Feel free to pm me if you need help. Barb