PDA

View Full Version : Anybody up for a fabric swap/giveaway?

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 16th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Today on the forum, a member mentioned her husband had been laid off and she was looking for good ideas to pursue quilting/sewing on a budget and finding inexpensive fabric. A lot of good ideas were offered.

I also suggested we might consider a swap/giveaway -- and another member suggested I start a new thread with this idea

So what I'm thinking is there are some folks who might want to swap, and some folks who might want to just give. I, for instance, know I have some fabric that I won't get to any time soon and would be happy to pass it along to someone who would enjoy it.

I'm not sure exactly how to organize this. And I work full time so if there is a lot of interest, I will likely need help.

Should we make an inventory of some sort? And how would we handle sign ups? I assume everyone willing to participate would have to be willing to cover the postage of shipping whatever they are willing to swap or give.

I welcome your thoughts and any assistance anyone would like to provide.

PeggyM
October 16th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I am willing to donate and pay for postage. I don't have the first clue about how to organize this drive, but count me in. If you have any idea about how I can help, please let me know.

Gayle8675309
October 16th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Maybe you could set it up under "GROUPS" and people could maybe post pictures of fabric that they might want to donate? Just a thought. Maybe someone will have a better idea.

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I'm in . . . willing to start the group if I get your go-ahead. I love Gayle's idea. I would love to downsize some, too.

So, here's what I propose . . . a group, members must post pictures under one of four categories - I have this to give. I have this to trade. I have this to 'sell'. and, last but not least, I need this.

Everyone knows economy is tight, so there would have to be some guidelines - you can give and assume the postage, you can give and ask for postage reimbursement, you can secretly give (so member may want to go to their profile and enter their mailing addresses so someone can surprise them), and you may want to sell something (*suggest about 1/4 price of retail only to be 'fair').

Let me know - I'll be most happy to open up a group and sort of coordinate things . . .

Lilly
October 16th, 2013, 11:30 PM
I would lovve to just give if I knew there was a need. I hate to post pics but I will if that is the best way. Sometimes I buy material and then "What was I thinking" sinks in. I was trying to build my stash but I get a little overwhelmed by too much of anything. Count me in.

Beakkmom
October 17th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I'm with Lilly, I'd be happy to give, but am not the best pic poster. I have traveled on several shop hops and when I return home find that my fabric isn't the great match for my project I thought it was in the shop. It would be nice to share with someone who can use my 'almost, but not quite' fabric choice.

Lin

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 17th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Sandy, this is wonderful and I thank you!

I'll be happy to post pictures of what I have to give and happy to pay postage to the recipient. I've never used "groups" before, so I may have a couple of technical questions.

If photos are too troublesome for some folks, they could just describe the fabric (if it's a common maker and line that would be sufficient for most people to google and find a photo of) and the amount available.

I'm working all weekend, but next week I can go through my stash and identify the giveaways.

nyscpa2be
October 17th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I have five bins to sort through and put on comic boards. I'm sure I can find something that we will never use. I'm in!

AuntieVic
October 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM
What a great idea, count me in.

Kat 2
October 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM
This sounds like a good idea but I have no idea how to post pictures.

I'm not very knowledgeable of how that works.

Auntpiggylpn
October 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Fabulous idea! I wouldn't be able to participate for the next few months due to our out of state move but I am sure I will come up with lots to swap or PIF when I get to organizing my new room!!!