PDA

View Full Version : Rant - new med I can't drink coffee with

nyscpa2be
October 16th, 2013, 12:20 PM
OK, so many of you know that I was in the hospital last month for stress times a million. I was put on two meds for mood stabilization, plus one to help me sleep. One med burned my stomach so Prevacid was added. I get home, and the meds start making me shake, muscle cramps, and slurred speech. So I'm put on a Parkinson's med to combat those side effects. Not getting any better, and edema starts, so I go to urgent care and get blood work done. My thyroid is acting up - levels are really low (hypothyroidism). So yesterday after round 2 of blood work, I finally get a scrip for a thyroid pill, mostly because I've gained over 20 pounds in a month. But I have to take it as soon as I wake up, and wait an hour until I can have coffee or any of my other morning meds or food. Now I'm on 8 pills in the morning, and 5 at bedtime. And I'm only 31. Why do I have the feeling that my anti-stress regimen is stressing me out?????

Doloris
October 16th, 2013, 12:32 PM
hopefully you can get everything straightened out and then start weaning off some of the meds. That's a lot of meds and there are bound to be side effects and interactions. At least they seem to be helping for now. Good luck.

bdmsmith
October 16th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I found out in January that I had hypothyroidism as well and was put on medication---just like you I have to take it when I get up and wait an hour to eat. My number tested at 10 and apparently it's supposed to be under 5 according to my research. I had just went in for a regular checkup and they did routine bloodwork for cholesterol, etc when they found it---at the follow up appointment the Dr told me that I could've cut my food intake in half and I still wouldn't have lost weight. Frustrating because now I'm wondering how long I've had this and not known and no other Dr's thought to check for it.

Anyways, I was put on medication then went back in a month and got tested again--#8 this time so still to high so they increased the dose. Waited 3 months and went back and tested at 3....much better so they kept the dose the same for another 3 months. I went back last week and I tested at 21...crazy. I tried to explain to the nurse that I had a stomach virus for about 10 days and that is likely what caused it because I had just got over it a couple days before the blood test. Would she listen, no, she insists I have to see the Dr and he will likely increase my dosage. It's frustrating for me because the blood tests are a minimal $15 office charge plus $100 for the lab work and since I don't have insurance it all comes out of my pocket. But, to see the Dr of course is going to be probably $100 for the visit alone plus whatever extra tests he wants to run. I don't understand why they don't listen to the patient. I am about 80% sure it is because I was sick and the sensible solution to me is to give it another 30-60 days and have me tested again, but NO they won't listen. (Not to mention the fact that the blood test before this recent one, instead of just running a thyroid test like I thought they were doing, they decided to add in a Vitamin D test so when the lab bill come I was shocked that instead of $100 I owed them $350)

Hang in there. A tip for the thyroid medicine....if you happen to get up earlier in the morning for a bathroom break or because you normally just wake up earlier and go back to sleep, take it then and lay back down. Just try to keep your time consistent. I set my alarm for 6am through the week so that I can get up and go into the LR and I lay on the couch until my 16 yr old gets up for school so I can see him before he leaves----so I take my pill at 6am and then go lay back on the couch. When I finally get up for real the hour is already passed. On the weekends though I just take it when I get up and go about my morning routine getting ready, putting away dishes, checking the M* site and before I know it the hour has passed.

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I have Hashi's. Basically my thyroid died. I take my thyroid med at night. I take 150 mgs of Armour because it works best for me.

I have Lupus and that causes a lot of nausea and when I feel the urge to eat I need to eat. So taking the thyroid med at night really has helped me. One other thing with the thyroid med is that iron and iron rich foods are the worst offender to take within 4 hours of taking the thyroid med.

This is not a med that you take and feel the effects within hours. It is a med that you keep in your system and it has to build up over a period of weeks and be maintained so really taking it at night is just fine.

I feel my best when my levels test near 1, preferably under that 1 by a smidgen. I am extremely symptomatic at a 3.

Being sick, run down and stressed is a huge factor in your levels. More than once I have walked out without having my levels checked because with just the sniffles they are thrown off.

Good luck ladies!

bdmsmith
October 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I have Hashi's. Basically my thyroid died. I take my thyroid med at night. I take 150 mgs of Armour because it works best for me.

I have Lupus and that causes a lot of nausea and when I feel the urge to eat I need to eat. So taking the thyroid med at night really has helped me. One other thing with the thyroid med is that iron and iron rich foods are the worst offender to take within 4 hours of taking the thyroid med.

This is not a med that you take and feel the effects within hours. It is a med that you keep in your system and it has to build up over a period of weeks and be maintained so really taking it at night is just fine.

I feel my best when my levels test near 1, preferably under that 1 by a smidgen. I am extremely symptomatic at a 3.

Being sick, run down and stressed is a huge factor in your levels. More than once I have walked out without having my levels checked because with just the sniffles they are thrown off.

Good luck ladies!

Lisa---I'm curious what you mean when you say symptoms. As far as I know I haven't had any other than my level testing low and being overweight. After being told by the Dr that I had this I did research and found that it probably is also the cause of my dry skin. But other than that I'm not sure what other symptoms I should have. The nurse had made a comment a few months ago that I should start feeling better in a few weeks----I didn't say anything but I didn't really know what she meant since I hadn't felt bad in the first place. Well, Dr office just called and wants me to come in now since they have openings so I guess I'll ask them as well. Thanks!

Gayle8675309
October 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer, so I too am on Synthroid. I put mine in a container on my night stand, and then if I wake during the night I take it then, that way I can have coffee when I wake up. If I don't take it during the night then I do wait for an hour after taking it in the morning. I just go online and check my boards...soon an hour is up and I can have my coffee.

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Symptoms:

Fatigue
dry skin
itchy ears
thin eyebrows
easily catch infections/viruses
longer recovery time
tired legs
cold bottom
constipation
premature babies
low breast milk or inability to breastfeed
achy muscles
low temp
swollen glands
thinning hair, think brillo pad in the shower drain daily
dry brittle hair
puffy face
sounding hoarse without a soar throat
join pain and stiffness
weight gain and difficulty losing it
heavy painful and or irregular periods
forgetfulness

those are some of them.

nyscpa2be
October 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone! I guess what I'm most annoyed about is getting side effects from meds, so I need more side effects. Unfortunately, with my diagnosis, it looks like I will likely be on meds for life. And this is a med combo and diagnosis that will make pregnancy difficult, and likely high risk, should I ever find Mr. Right. Another depressing thought.

Lisa - My mom is an LPN, and gives levothyroxine daily. I'm going to ask her about switching to PM on that one, since I don't take my omeprazole or vitamins at night.

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Amy of course check with your Mom. I get it!

nyscpa2be
October 16th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Fatigue
dry skin
thin eyebrows
easily catch infections/viruses
longer recovery time
tired legs
cold bottom
constipation
achy muscles
low temp
swollen glands
thinning hair, think brillo pad in the shower drain daily
dry brittle hair
puffy face
sounding hoarse without a soar throat
join pain and stiffness
weight gain and difficulty losing it
heavy painful and or irregular periods
forgetfulness

Holy crap - I've had this list for YEARS!!! I graduated high school at 129 lbs - now I'm 283 lbs, and I've been to gyms, gone on diets, and never lost a pound.

nyscpa2be
October 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Amy of course check with your Mom. I get it!

:) Thanks for all the info. You are absolutely amazing! Oh, and Mom is also my "personal nurse" haha - but she does put all my meds in a cough syrup cup each night - I think I am spoiled.

nyscpa2be
October 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer, so I too am on Synthroid. I put mine in a container on my night stand, and then if I wake during the night I take it then, that way I can have coffee when I wake up. If I don't take it during the night then I do wait for an hour after taking it in the morning. I just go online and check my boards...soon an hour is up and I can have my coffee.

So sorry you had to deal with thyroid cancer! I hope you are all better now! And thanks for the tip of putting the bottle on my bedside table if I do keep it as a morning dose.

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I am not amazing, I have just dealt with this thyroid thing for a long time.

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I forgot one.

High cholesterol.

bdmsmith
October 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM
This post is very informative. Thanks Lisa for listing the symptoms---I asked the Dr at my appt today and he never actually told me any except the weight, tiredness, constipation and dry skin. The 1st thing he asked was if I'd been taken my meds and I said yes and haven't missed a pill since Feb. He said that he's surprised I was still functioning with my # being so high and if I was exhausted. I said other than the bought with the stomach flu for several days and he said that wouldn't affect the # (however I disagree with him on this because there is no other rational explanation for my #'s to keep decreasing over the past year & then all of a sudden spike up other than my illness). I explained as well about the nurse's comment months ago that I would start feeling better in a few weeks and I told him I never felt bad to begin with.

However, I did mention that I have noticed increasingly dry skin over the years to the point of having patches on my face but it was mainly during the winter so I assumed weather change. He said I should be lathargic with #'s that high. I explained that I don't work right now and that I do sleep in but I also tend to stay up late reading and that I rarely need a nap or feel like I need one because once I'm up I feel fine but my problem is getting up in the morning since I've never been a morning person.

He advised with me he's not going to treat the #'s since I don't seem to have any symptoms and I am staying on the same dose for another 30 days and then getting tested again. He did mention that he wants my cholesterol tested again because one affect of hypothyroidism is an increase in cholesterol...even though it was tested in January and looked good. Oddly, the cholesterol is what started this whole process....my husband had been tested due to some stomach issues (ended up ulcerative colitis) so since I knew my insurance was ending in January we all went in for checkups and my Dr did a full panel of blood tests and that's when the hypothyroidism was found. Cholesterol was good, my BP runs high and now this thyroid thing.

I hate getting older. I never figured that I would be on a permanent pill at age 42, my husband is on a permanent medication now for his ulcerative colitis as well.

Kgrammiecaz
October 16th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I think the biggest issue with thyroid med is to consistently take it at the same time each day. That way it stays consistent in your system. I have been on synthroid for more than 15years and I am happy to say I do pretty good except for the weight issues

One other thing is my doctor suggested I not use generic as it does not work as well. I took the generic the first couple years before synthroid and my numbers were never consistent. So there may be some truth to it

Great post conversation

bubba
October 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM
When my BP went out of control last month, I was in and out of urgent care a few times, immediately put on two meds and then four days later another, which I had two allergic reactions to. I have not taken it for two weeks and I am still having one of the symptoms, which is nauseousness. I wake up at about 3am and can't sleep it is so bad. It last all day long and makes me feel like I have morning sickness. I anti puke pills which should make it go away, but even they don't work. I feel your pain....being sick is no fun, especially when it is day after day after day.

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Another one I forgot.

Brain fog! It is heavy today.

Mchelem
October 17th, 2013, 04:52 AM
This post is very informative. Thanks Lisa for listing the symptoms---I asked the Dr at my appt today and he never actually told me any except the weight, tiredness, constipation and dry skin. The 1st thing he asked was if I'd been taken my meds and I said yes and haven't missed a pill since Feb. He said that he's surprised I was still functioning with my # being so high and if I was exhausted. I said other than the bought with the stomach flu for several days and he said that wouldn't affect the # (however I disagree with him on this because there is no other rational explanation for my #'s to keep decreasing over the past year & then all of a sudden spike up other than my illness). I explained as well about the nurse's comment months ago that I would start feeling better in a few weeks and I told him I never felt bad to begin with.

However, I did mention that I have noticed increasingly dry skin over the years to the point of having patches on my face but it was mainly during the winter so I assumed weather change. He said I should be lathargic with #'s that high. I explained that I don't work right now and that I do sleep in but I also tend to stay up late reading and that I rarely need a nap or feel like I need one because once I'm up I feel fine but my problem is getting up in the morning since I've never been a morning person.

He advised with me he's not going to treat the #'s since I don't seem to have any symptoms and I am staying on the same dose for another 30 days and then getting tested again. He did mention that he wants my cholesterol tested again because one affect of hypothyroidism is an increase in cholesterol...even though it was tested in January and looked good. Oddly, the cholesterol is what started this whole process....my husband had been tested due to some stomach issues (ended up ulcerative colitis) so since I knew my insurance was ending in January we all went in for checkups and my Dr did a full panel of blood tests and that's when the hypothyroidism was found. Cholesterol was good, my BP runs high and now this thyroid thing.

I hate getting older. I never figured that I would be on a permanent pill at age 42, my husband is on a permanent medication now for his ulcerative colitis as well.

I'm confused.... You said your numbers are high, but said hypothyroidism.... Hypo is low. Hyper is high. Both has a lot of the same symptoms, but obviously are treated with different meds.

I ask because I've been told differing things by my drs, and some of the issues I'm having could be thyroid related, but now I'm confused about numbers, etc.

Granny Judy
October 17th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I have to add my 2 cents worth here.. I am a retired RN and have Hashi's. In the beginning I suffered years with being unable to get any consistent sleep... I 'd go 2 or 3 days without any sleep, then crash for 12 to 14 hours. Then a normal cycle of weeks would appear. Because the thyroid was over producing... It was like being on "speed". I was doing 3 or 4 things at once and still looking for more. I was hormonal and psyco at times.. way out of balance levels... but would go back into A Normal Cycle. So it took a very long time for me to get diagnosed.

I went to the doctors with a severe cold and found out I had walking pneumonia. I almost collapsed before my thyroid condition was discovered...Cholesterol level was way over 300. And I eat very healthy.. Happy 60th birthday to me!!

The symptoms are so bizarre and fleeting, that you don't often get diagnosed early. Just look up what the Thyroid hormones control... Ask yourself if there are other family members with this problem, since it is often hereditary...
Often the high BP's and Excessive Cholesterol levels are the main markers that get treated without actually finding the cause. Get second opinions and have all levels checked. There are more of us "thyroid" sufferers out there who are not properly treated or diagnosed...
JUST SAYIN!!!!

Granny Judy
October 17th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Mchelem.. Hyper and Hypo thyroidism are often treated with the same medication... Hypo replaces the needed enzyme.. Hyper to prevent the thyroid from making more. Eventually the Hyper will burn itself out..and stop producing altogether, thus the need to continue medication for life.

MayinJerset
October 17th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I was on meds for hypo about 30 years ago, my BP and cholesterol were high so I had periodic blood tests and Dr. thought he should add one for my thyroid. Very interesting to know they are all related. This all was when I began menopause and afterwards thyroid was OK so meds were stopped. I'm still on BP and Cholesterol meds that keep my levels at good numbers and every few years dr. schedules a thyroid check up. I haven't had any thyroid swelling in many, many years. 2 of my sisters had or have hypo and one has hyper, so it is family related as at menopause all of us has higher levels of BP, cholesterol and thyroid.

Glad I was never on a meds merry go round back then. I do have most of the symptoms Lisa mentioned but at 77 most of them can be expected. Isn't it fun to grow old, LOL!

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 10:07 AM
THS, thyroid stimulating hormone. That is the number they check.

High THS- hypothyroid-meds to replace hormone or hormones you are missing.

It is very frustrating to me that so many doctors are so uneducated about the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Hashi's, when I was first diagnosed she told me that I had an autoimmune disease. When I asked which one she gave me a look of shock and literally rolled her eyes at me. She not only refused to tell me what disease I had but said that it didn't matter, I didn't need to know, I just needed to take the medication she prescribed and suggested a psychiatrist for my frustration issues. Really?

I went to the psychiatrist and at his urging found a new doctor.

To anyone with a thyroid issue not matter what it is your body and you have to educate yourself. I have Lupus (SLE) the kind that attacks the organs and a lot of the symptoms are the same as hypothyroidism. In my case they say that one triggered the other and they don't know which came first. I don't care which did I am just grateful that I found doctors that recognize that I do better on natural dissected thyroid then synthetic hormone. That has made a huge difference for me.

That is my thyroid rant and I thank you for putting up with it!

New York Sue
October 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM
JAYZEE. After reading all this I think I may need to visit an endocrinologist!
Ironic, that I had labs drawn this morning, from a slip I've carrying around in my purse for 2 months or better!
I know, I know...
Thyroid heavy labs, I realized this morning, when I actually LOOKED at the tests ordered.
JEEZ

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 10:28 AM
JAYZEE. After reading all this I think I may need to visit an endocrinologist!
Ironic, that I had labs drawn this morning, from a slip I've carrying around in my purse for 2 months or better!
I know, I know...
Thyroid heavy labs, I realized this morning, when I actually LOOKED at the tests ordered.
JEEZ

When I first went to an endocrinologist he told me there was no reason to be there and that I was taking time away from his patients that really needed him and my primary was more than capable of treating this condition. I ended at Mass General to find a good one!

CrazyMtnLady
October 17th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I was on thyroid meds for Hypo starting in 1998 when I lived in NY state. I weighed 285! I lost a lot of weight while on the meds (mostly because during within months of starting the meds I became a widow). I was down to 135 at one point but have gained some back. I am not over 200 though.

I do not have insurance and have not been to the doctor in ages. But our neighbor is a my DH's doctor and she said even if I came in to see her she would probably NOT put me on a synthetic thryroid med. She told me to take KELP tablets or IODINE. So I take kelp everyday and I have really started watching what I eat. I have lost about 12 pounds this summer. :)

I love the fact that Dr. Theresa agrees with a lot of the natural herbs to treat some issues. Although with DH's diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure and what other problems most of his meds are pharmaceutical.

bdmsmith
October 17th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'm confused.... You said your numbers are high, but said hypothyroidism.... Hypo is low. Hyper is high. Both has a lot of the same symptoms, but obviously are treated with different meds.

I ask because I've been told differing things by my drs, and some of the issues I'm having could be thyroid related, but now I'm confused about numbers, etc.

It's been confusing for me to wrap my head around. Hypo does mean I have low or under-producing thyroid.....however the test number will be higher than normal----it's backwards. So if my # is high then that means that my thyroid is not functioning enough. I was told my number should be under 5 however according to some research I've done they now think the number should be under 4. So my last test number of 21 means that my thyroid still is not functioning enough. However, in this case my Dr said he doesn't like to treat the numbers and he actually said to me yesterday 'I'm surprised you're still functioning'....I told him I have felt fine. So, he decided to keep me on the same dose another 30 days and re-test to make sure it wasn't a fluke of some kind.

I'm on a drug called levothyroxine which is a generic and synthetic. However, my mom has been on some sort of natural thyroid medicine for years that is derived from a pig.

MartinaG
October 17th, 2013, 06:33 PM
My friend had issues with her thyroid and she was in a bad state until the docs got that diled back in. Hang in there and hope you feel better soon.

Mchelem
October 18th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Okay, so heavy cycles
Hair falling out (by the hand fulls!)
Severe anemia
High cholesterol
Weight gain that I can't lose
Hormone regulating issues
Joint pain
Insomnia
Depression (severe!)

I had my tsh checked and was told its in normal range- from what I'm reading they actually dropped the normal range from .5 to 5 and replaced it with .5 to 3. I guess I need to get my actual number and have it rechecked. Some of my issues could be thyroid related. (I know some of them are cancer related, but most I have had for several years, before the cancer).

Lisapc
October 18th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Okay, so heavy cycles
Hair falling out (by the hand fulls!)
Severe anemia
High cholesterol
Weight gain that I can't lose
Hormone regulating issues
Joint pain
Insomnia
Depression (severe!)

I had my tsh checked and was told its in normal range- from what I'm reading they actually dropped the normal range from .5 to 5 and replaced it with .5 to 3. I guess I need to get my actual number and have it rechecked. Some of my issues could be thyroid related. (I know some of them are cancer related, but most I have had for several years, before the cancer).

I feel best when my TSH is around a 1. I am hugely symptomatic at a 3 and at a 4 my breast milk dried up. Sp many doctors just don't get it!

I forgot another symptom: Painful souls of the feet. Feels like the ligaments are tearing as you walk.

Sheena
October 18th, 2013, 04:13 AM
I'm quite shocked at how much you ladies are suffering. I'm going to have my thyroid checked, because, of course, once you read about an illness you think you've got it too.

I don't sleep, my feet hurt, I've gained about a stone, my cholesterol is up, my eyebrows are sparce, I can't stand warm rooms.....

Mchelem
October 19th, 2013, 06:12 AM
My feet hurt too. I googled and plantar fasciitis popped up, but mine is a constant ache that gets worse at times.