PDA

View Full Version : Why do people assume that because you enjoy quilting you would relish mending their clothes?

Quilted Fantasies
October 16th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love my brother-in-law. He is awesome and would give you the shirt off his back. Particularly if it is long sleeves and he prefers short sleeves. I went to their home the other night and he asked me if I would do him a favor. I said of course I would. He brings two long-sleeved t shirts out that he bought at Walmart for work and asked me if I would make them short sleeved. In my mind I said grrrrrrrr but out of my mouth came a smile and "I would be glad to!" My sister, on the other hand, asked him why he didn't just buy short sleeves to begin with. He said they didn't have any.

He said he wasn't in a hurry for them so I'm going to another Walmart. Hopefully I can exchange them for some short sleeves the right color and size.:icon_heh: I thought about telling him I fixed them but I think I'll tell him the truth. Maybe he'll think of that himself next time.

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I started sewing with making clothing so it doesn't bother me. As a matter of fact it was probably the first sewing I ever did. My mother taught my GD how to mend a split seam and she is 5 and apparently she taught all of us that at around the same age. I think if I started out quilting like a lot of quilters I would be just as aggravated.

Good idea exchanging them if you can. And what is it about not being able to say no? I do that a lot as well.

grandmasieg
October 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I understand! For years I did my SIL's mending, sewing (made curtains for her entire house, etc.), made quilts for her to give as gifts and so on. I'm talking 20+ years. Last year I bought her a sewing machine and gave it to her thinking my mending, sewing, quilting days for her were over. Oh contraire! Now when she calls she tells me the machine is all set up at her house for me to come mend yada yada yada! This year I got her sewing lessons at the local sewing dealer for her birthday in November. Maybe now she'll get the hint! Gotta love family! :lol:

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I understand! For years I did my SIL's mending, sewing (made curtains for her entire house, etc.), made quilts for her to give as gifts and so on. I'm talking 20+ years. Last year I bought her a sewing machine and gave it to her thinking my mending, sewing, quilting days for her were over. Oh contraire! Now when she calls she tells me the machine is all set up at her house for me to come mend yada yada yada! This year I got her sewing lessons at the local sewing dealer for her birthday in November. Maybe now she'll get the hint! Gotta love family! :lol:

Are you kidding? I think my crazy would have come out if I ever got a call like that. You are a good SIL to get her the machine first and now the lessons!

Gayle Russell
October 16th, 2013, 11:11 AM

I'm with Lisa...my crazy would come out, too! You are exceptionally nice!

Gayle Russell
October 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love my brother-in-law. He is awesome and would give you the shirt off his back. Particularly if it is long sleeves and he prefers short sleeves. I went to their home the other night and he asked me if I would do him a favor. I said of course I would. He brings two long-sleeved t shirts out that he bought at Walmart for work and asked me if I would make them short sleeved. In my mind I said grrrrrrrr but out of my mouth came a smile and "I would be glad to!" My sister, on the other hand, asked him why he didn't just buy short sleeves to begin with. He said they didn't have any.

He said he wasn't in a hurry for them so I'm going to another Walmart. Hopefully I can exchange them for some short sleeves the right color and size.:icon_heh: I thought about telling him I fixed them but I think I'll tell him the truth. Maybe he'll think of that himself next time.

I understand what you're saying. I don't sew clothing and only do simple repairs/mending. Have you tried doing a horrible job? HAHAHA, maybe he won't ask again! ;)

LynneLeavell
October 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I started out sewing clothes for dolls at eight years old (44 years ago) and then graduated up to clothes for me through high school. Did not sew as much while my kids were growing up. Now I quilt more than I sew clothes. Every now and then I will have people ask me if I can fix something and I love it because I pick and choose what I repair.

Precious1
October 16th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I tell everyone I do not mend. I even threaten to use a pretty fancy stitch. So, no one has asked. Even my DH and DS need their pants hemmed and they wear it as is. I sew quilts, not clothes. Maybe you should threaten to sew wit a fancy stitch. Especially if its a guy. I got the idea from someone who sewed an inchworm on the hem of her SIL pants. He never asked her to hem his pants again.:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Quilted Fantasies
October 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I tell everyone I do not mend. I even threaten to use a pretty fancy stitch. So, no one has asked. Even my DH and DS need their pants hemmed and they wear it as is. I sew quilts, not clothes. Maybe you should threaten to sew wit a fancy stitch. Especially if its a guy. I got the idea from someone who sewed an inchworm on the hem of her SIL pants. He never asked her to hem his pants again.:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Great idea! I've gotten pretty adept with FMQ feathers. I actually did something similar once when my husband asked me to patch his pants. I wish I had a picture of the hearts, flowers, etc on his blue jeans.

nyscpa2be
October 16th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I started out sewing clothes for dolls at eight years old (44 years ago) and then graduated up to clothes for me through high school. Did not sew as much while my kids were growing up. Now I quilt more than I sew clothes. Every now and then I will have people ask me if I can fix something and I love it because I pick and choose what I repair.

I grew up sewing clothes. And my repairs still go to Mom. I was in 4H for years, and never wanted to sew clothing, but always had to because of the fashion show, which I hated. Plus, we were expected to wear the clothing to school as well, because it was one less thing to buy. Um, no, not in the district I was in - I would have gotten slaughtered (figure of speech). So I think I've blocked out those years from my memory. Haha. I am fairly good at straight lines though - great for quilting!

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Asking a quilter to hem something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage!!!!

bubba
October 16th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I don't know what is funnier, your sister in law setting her machine up for you to come over and use, Lisa's reply, or Grace-Ann's husbands jeans with fancy stitching......how funny!

My oldest daughter (I have two, 36 and 33 and neither ever wanted to know how to sew!!) brought over a cute little top she absolutely loves that the elastic has stretched out on. Wanted me to make a pattern and make her several more just like it!!! That did not happen.

isew4kidz
October 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I get that all the time too from everyone. Will you mend this, can you make this bigger, etc. I hate it. My passion is sewing little girl's dresses, smocked clothing, etc, basically sewing for kids. I do not like to mend.

VickiJ
October 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I guess I won't have to worry about this problem. I didn't grow up sewing or making clothes, my only sewing is from quilting so I will have no problem saying, "you really don't want me to do that - I guarantee I will make it worse". LOL If then really don't get the hint, that's when I bring out the "No".

Not sure how I would feel if I actually had the sewing/mending knowledge. I think I would maybe do something here or there - but certainly not make two new long sleeve shirts short because someone didn't want to shop around some more to find what they were actually looking for.

nyscpa2be
October 16th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I had to come back - just remembered something else. I asked mom if I could have some of dad's old flannel shirts for a quilt - I want to make him a simple, manly flannel quilt, backed in cotton denim, for Christmas. She has several shirts in the repair basket for him, and has offered me those. Haha - he thinks they are getting mended, but I'm just gonna cut them up!

Sharyn J
October 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I grew up making clothing so hemming pants is no big deal for me, but I only do it for family. Fixing zippers and shortening shirt sleeves is not my game. I tell them to bring it to a seamstress or buy a new garment.

True story: My brother stopped over once on his way to a wedding reception, all dressed up and ready to go. He had purchased a new pair of pants from his upscale men's store, but they didn't have time to hem them. Yup, he sat here in sports coat & tie, drinking a beer, in his skivvies while I shortened his pants! Ya gotta love family!

bdmsmith
October 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I started sewing clothing in Elementary school for 4H so I've been doing that for years. Since then I've made lots of outfits and curtains but my favorite is little girl dresses even though I don't have any girls myself. I recently made a dress for my niece to model at 4H this past summer.

I've been asked to do things for other people as well and it just depends how much and what it is. I recently fixed a pocket for my dad that was torn out which was an easy job---he didnt ask though I offered when he told me what happened. My sister brought over a jacket a couple years ago that had a bad zipper--she got it at a garage sale. I really didn't want to do that because I was afraid of messing it up since it was a name brand jacket and I knew she really liked it.

My husband's cousin had lots of jeans with holes and his wife kept mentioning it on FB and had brought it up during visits. I really didn't want to do that so I told her to get iron on patches. She never actually asked but I knew where it was going.

Recently since getting into quilts I love quilting and the clothes making doesn't seem as fun but that could be just because it's new to me still. I have a whole tote of patterns I have bought over the years and haven't made....I still really want to make a wedding dress though.

My son's girlfriend had me fix a couple of her dresses. I just don't like adjusting others clothes because I'm afraid I'll ruin it. I much prefer making things from the beginning myself.

mamaquilt
October 16th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Asking a quilter to hem something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage!!!!

Could become very expensive, but doable!

MartinaG
October 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
MY DH realized that if he ever actually wants to wear the pants he bought, then he needs to take them to an alteration place to be hemmed. If he waits for me to do it, there are at least 18 UFOs ahead of his pants. When I agree to do it, I never say when. lol

easyquilts
October 16th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Your SIL is very lucky she didn't ask me! I always tell people I don't "sew", I quilt.... Big difference.

Lilly
October 17th, 2013, 12:00 AM
When my Sil had a new baby I gave her my daughter's pretty little outfits - hardly worn - beautiful. When I had my next child she gave me hers - all worn out and each one needed some kind of repair. I guess that was her way of getting the outfits repaired. But I had two kids under 14 months old and I was in tears at the amount of work it would take me so I boxed them up and gave them back to her. She never said a word. Sometimes you have to take care of yourself first.

ilive2craft2
October 17th, 2013, 12:10 AM
My BIL doesn't understand how I "can't" hem drapes, etc for him - he says "you can do all that fancy stuff, but not this simple thing?" I took one set, his mom took the other, she got hers done, I didn't, so gave them back and his mom did that set too..... I think he figured it out this time...... I sew for fun, but have a hard time saying no.

My DH takes his pants to an alteration place. It is worth the $8 or whatever, so that if they are uneven or anything I am not feeling bad every time he wears them.....they also get done much sooner than I would get to them.... :)

auntiemern
October 17th, 2013, 12:18 AM
My DD and GK's ask me to mend and I tell them no. I DO NOT know how to sew. I know how to make quilts, not clothes. I am not easily taken advantage of, so no one else asks me, cuz they know what the answer would be. I do try for the kids occasionally though.

Lisapc
October 17th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Teresa: Make the wedding dress! I am thrilled to have a break this fall from veils and gowns but I truly like to do that as well. I have found since I found quilting that I don't love doing the dresses and veils anymore.

Texas Jean
October 17th, 2013, 12:51 AM
When I was in college (50 years ago) one of the perks (for boys) was that their girlfriends would do their laundry for them. One boy was dumb enough to Break up with one girl and start dating another one while the first one still had his laundry. She returned his clothes washed, starched and neatly ironed. Plus she sewed all of the buttonholes closed.