PDA

View Full Version : *Hoot* Night Owls it's my turn to ask....

HdWench
October 16th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Hi Night Owls... it's my turn to ask some questions and give Lisa a night to Sleep.

After my cat Olive (16 years old) had a long surgery and we got back home, she developed severe runs (yeah out of 5 cats I had to figure out who)... but when 1 of my babies is sick I go and search for new projects to keep my mind busy and calm the worries. Something I can get up and take many breaks to check on my sick "kids".

Ask me how many Pillows I covered our house with and still make to give to friends :-) That was when my Dora was diagnosed with upper wall bladder cancer, and I learned how to make pillows (she lasted the most wonderful 2 extra months of love)!...

Anyway... I saw Jenny's Tut on the Jelly Roll Race and laughed, and watched it many times. I knew quilting was something I wanted to learn how to do so I could also make Quilts4Kids. I didn't make that Jelly Roll quilt until 3 or 4 months later after I discovered so many other ways to quilt.

So - What did you come into quilting wanting to do, and have you kept doing that or discovered some other aspect of quilting you like to do better? Some begin quilting, then discover applique and love it so much they go in that direction. How about you?

Debbie *hoot* *hoot*

Hulamoon
October 16th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Sorry about Dora. I have lost so many cats. I'm a little suspious of the neighbor hood. Different subject though.

I made a couple of nap quilts for my two dd's. My mil made all the quilts for everyone. A huge family. Simple but loved. We somehow got the most. Dh was the youngest and I guess the favorite. lol So when she passed my stepdd's kids never got one and that's when I decided to make some for them.

I really don't remember how I found this home. It's like I have been here the whole time. :) I was already doing applique on children's clothes. I think that would be one of my next directions. I'm not into the really hard patterns, like the war quilts, but I love to applique.

Mpyles
October 16th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Well I am not really a late late night owl....but I will answer anyway!!

I got into quilting cause I really wanted something to take up my free time, as my children grew up. All of a sudden there were no more cross country races or volleyball games to tie up all our free time!! Now the problem is my hubby seldom sees me! So I have picked up some hand piecing projects in an effort to spend some time with him!!

cyndiofthevortex
October 16th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I would like to become more of an art quilter. So what do I do about it? I buy books on art quilting. I read them cover to cover and drool over the wonderful quilts inside. I go to quilt shows and stand in awe at the art quilts. I take lots of pictures. I take classes on art quilting.

So far I have made two art quilts, both done in a class. I love them. I think they rock. I have started on another one with big, funky leaves. Will I be able to finish it now that the class is over? I hope so.

I spent a long time feeling gloomy about the fact that I didn't know how to quilt feathers, until my friend Sherry slapped me upside the head and told me to get off my behind and learn how to make them. So I did! I love Sherry. I think I need another slap about art quilts. Any volunteers?

The first thing I need to do is learn how to machine applique. I've wanted to for ages. I have all the books to prove it. But have I actually tried it? Not really, just one little wallhanging, nothing to boast about. Cute, but not enough to really learn the skills needed to do it well.

If there's anything you want to do but haven't dared to try yet, I have a friend to introduce you to!

bkthomas
October 16th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Not really interested in slapping you upside the head - but wouldn't it be fun if we could pop in on each other now and then and chat over a cuppa and inspire each other!!!

Hulamoon
October 16th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Well Cyndi you already got to the art stage with your fish and bird of paradise!

Kgrammiecaz
October 16th, 2013, 02:23 AM
I have been a crocheter for years. Made more than. I can count afghans. Needed somthing different, a change, so couple years ago took a begginers quilt class at joanns. It wah pretty cool. Have always loved how much better homemade quilts looked as compared to store bought

It took several years and A ot of pushing myself to just do it. So I looked up online classes, found Crafsty and here I am. I want to make everything I see.

I have added many books and magazines. I love reading as well. And I hate to admit to anyone how big my stash is already. But I am loving it.

One of the best parts is having found everyone at this forum. This is so awesome.

I am very honored to be a part of this community.

Sheena
October 16th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I saw a gorgeous Christmas Panel by Lauren Burch and that got me started. I've added beads to it and it's gorgeous!

I've not stopped quilting since, but I make other things too. I knitted some socks but they were too nice to sell! So I'm now knitting baby clothes and want to do some designing. That's my excuse for buying three Ashton Drake babies. Can't wait for them to arrive.

brook
October 16th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Before I started quilting I was trying to find things I could make to give away. I learned how to crochet and did a few baby blankets. It took me 5 months to do one blanket, so I decided it didn't meet my give-away plan. So then I thought I'd try quilting hoping I might do this faster. The first quilt was not the one to make a judgement call on because I chose a queen size quilt and only had directions how to make one block - it took 3 months. So giving it another try I made a baby blanket and was excited that I made it in 1 week. This gave me hope. I found Jenny's tutorial and my quilting life began.
So, I came in focused on baby blankets and I'm still making them, but I also like making lap quilts. Now I get to teach others how to quilt too. I didn't see that one coming. : )

Sew Perfect
October 16th, 2013, 03:22 AM
I hope your kitty gets to feeling better. I won't talk about what happened to my cat.

As for my quilting aspirations, I began sewing in 2010 with the idea that I would make a quilt then another, and another. So far, that's what I've been doing. I like applique, and like hand work, but most of all, I like making something from start to finish no matter what it is. My mind is always on. I have to create and feed my brain with what it wants. So, the answer to the question is "make whatever I am in the mood for".

lilmouse
October 16th, 2013, 03:37 AM
I have always wanted to learn and my daughter taught me how......what she didn't know at the time was I didn't know how to sew and so it began....she taught me as much as she could in a week and told me to learn the rest on my own and I did! I am still quilting and we still have that in common and get together as often as we can...(she lives at least 3 to 4 hours away) so we have some marathon talk sessions on the cell phone....and in her defense she also still has little ones to take care of and I get to make quilts for as they love Granny's quilts! At the time she taught me how to quilt she lived over 1000 miles away so one week is all the time we had!

dwil23
October 16th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Debbie, I can certainly relate to you when it comes to loosing our four legged kids - it is so hard.

There isn't one thing I want to do - I want to try it all. Applique is a future project. I want to make so many different quilts, it makes my head swim. I don't even know how many I have already bought the fabric for, much less the ones that are still in my head - and that list grows daily.

((SIGH))) oh to have more time in the day....

Iris Girl
October 16th, 2013, 05:33 AM
I started as a clothing maker and did curtains for the house Etc. On a rare occasion I did quilted potholders. When Rag Shop opened a new location My boss gave me fabric from a new line we would carry and directions for a quilt. That was my first real quilt. 7 or so years later I went to work part time for viking, part of my job was to teach the classes,thats when I put my clothing skills to quilting since no pone wanted to make clothes but loved runners and toppers so I started to quilt and loved the teaching as I had always taught sewing. Since I left there over a year ago and brought my following of quilting ladies with me , we have a blast on weds gabbing and sewing and learning new things.

bkthomas
October 16th, 2013, 06:34 AM
You guys are always making me think too hard - knock it off! tee hee
I don't really remember how I found MSQC, so I looked up the first post I ever made - it has to do with Craftsy.com
I stumbled onto it when it was just beginning the free BOM in 2012
Have yet to put that one together....didn't do all the blocks but think I have enough to make a quilt with anyway...eventually.
Someday, I still hope to do the Pine Burr pattern....that is a feathered star.

HdWench
October 16th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Love reading how we got into this, and how much other crafty things brought us to this point in our lives. Well Olive was last year (Dora passed in January 2012, Olive November), a rough year for my older adoptions. But I do understand adopting the oldest from rescue groups, I have the last and what I think of Best part of their lives, for however long I'm allowed. It hurts very much, but I also know their previous mom's are already with the Lord waiting, I do think that helps a little as I send them on their way - Tell you mom that I loved you too.

I've sewn clothing and done several charity skirts (always with animal theme's) and raised funds for local rescue groups, this was fun too but not as fun as learning how to quilt, and seeing the amazing work everyone on here does!! I love meeting all the new people as I still feel all their excitement over watching the Tutorials! And gosh, my stash has grown really fast with the quilting cottons!!!

Cyndi, nope won't slap ya up side the head hehehe but nice to know you've a friend to give you the Big push! We'll have more FLASH sewing days coming up before the holidays... I hope this helps us all motivate each other to dash into o0r sewing areas and grab and sew, or clean it up. I do love knowing when there is a FLASH Sewing day, many make the big push to get in and get motivated, hope it helps you too!

Thanks all

Debbie aka Crazy Cat Lady

MayinJerset
October 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I began quilting in 1999 and have made several different types of quilts, quick and simple is what I like to do. At times I stretch my quilting skills by making more complicated blocks, sewing them slowly and carefully as these are special gifts or for quilt shows. I have appliqued by machine using simple stitching or raw edge and would like to do more to become better at it. Only did a few small hand applique things as I hate to work really small and also my stitching is never consistent. I would like to do more 'modern' quilts and have been thinking and planning one. I have a new book about using hexagons in a modern setting and have tons of designs and tuts saved on the computer but nothing sewn as of yet. I also need a deadline to get my quilts done. So it all may come together as my small book/quilt group has decided that we would each make a quilt based on a book that we all read a few months ago and we will enter our quilts in our Guild's show in May 2014.

Main character of the book we are using is a quilter, she hand sews her hexagons and patchwork quilts and she comes to live in a community that does hand applique quilts. So somewhere between both of those techniques I hope to make a modern style quilt. With the quilt show as my deadline I have to come up with something.

pcbatiks
October 16th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Cyndi....... I won't slap you upside the head..... But if you come down here I would take you to the international quilt show in Houston.......beginning of November. We could stand in front of the art quilts and drool and dream! That's what I did last year!

I got involved with quilting when empty nest syndrome started! I've been interested in quilting for a long time but didn't give it a try until a couple of years ago. I like appliqué.....still learning of course........love modern quilts. I love the art quilts and I have a written list of ideas I want to try. It amazes me what can be accomplished with fabric when making an art quilt!

Okay......now I really want to go to the Houston show!

Lisapc
October 16th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Great question! I was in bed before 12:am and managed to shut my brain off. Different for me!

I have always been into sewing and making things. I am a hands on girl. I remember way back when I was a little girl liking something and thinking that I would have made it differently and when I was 10 I started doing that. I am just picky.

I have always admired quilts and find it funny that not only do I see quilts in everything now but I actually have discovered a couple of pieces in my home that look like quilts. I did not quilt when I bought them.

A painting that would translate into a great modern quilt and a couple of metal wall hangings. One clearly has a circle quilt in it and the other looks like FMQing designs. My GD pointed the quilty things out. Even a flower wall hagning that I am thinking should be appliqued somewhere.

I found Jenny and the JRR tutorial and watched a few other of the tutorials and in one of them she said something about a 1/4 seam. If you can do that you can quilt. So I tried it and fell for it.

I thought I would do blocks of all types and find myself using applique more and more and coming up with my own designs. I am surprised that after years of clothing, dress, wedding veils and crafts that I still found fabric limiting to the creative part of me. Now I see the possibilities are endless with fabric. If I see it I will try it.

Now if I could just stick to one project and get it done before starting 3 more I would be good.