PDA

View Full Version : Satan's Night Owl- Monday is almost over.

Lisapc
October 15th, 2013, 12:51 AM
So yesterday I had a shape in my head all day, the star. Today I have had a color in my head all day. I don't know if it was the shirt I had on or the hunt I took Lil' Peter and Miss Kora on but today the color is orange.

So pumpkin picking was a trip and I still need to go find them each a huge pumpkin tomorrow. I had on my Lillyana's favorite red orange shirt. When I stopped at my mothers this afternoon my Little brother gave me a great recipe for an easy and healthy cake with only 2 grams of fat per serving. It is so hard, you put one can of pumpkin puree with one box cake mix of any flavor, mix it up and bake according to the box. That's it. I know I have heard that somewhere before but I didn't want to burst his excited bubble. Then on the way home my son was in awe of all the leaves finally starting to really change to orange and red.

Funny thing is I hate orange. I used to hate orange. I am a dark redhead. I buy brown hair dye because of the red hair and orange never looked good on me. Now after quilting and seeing it put to good use where it belongs I kind of like it. I have some charms with orange in them ready to go for a DP9 after Christmas but have not used orange yet myself.

So tonight's question is what do you think of Orange and how do you use it?

dwil23
October 15th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I used to say orange was my least favorite color. But, I don't dislike it. I LOVE the colors of Fall - my favorite time of year. I also really like the orange shades of peach and terra cotta. My best quilting friend Deborah is all about orange and it is also DS2 favorite color - so I have come to appreciate it more in recent years.

HdWench
October 15th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Good evening Night Owls! Hope everyone has their projects lined up and ready to sew :-)

As a dishwater blonde orange makes me look well deathly!!! But I love using it in quilting. I do think either you go all out, or with scrappy quilts it looks better, or maybe I'm just too afraid of totally tossing too much in. The "old" orange from the 50's/60's is either not in fabric, or somehow they just made it darn cuter now! All the shades and tones look so pretty. Good question and how many folks keep orange in their Stash? I am thinking I've got at least 5 shades without even looking at all the fabric I just bought, I think like Yellow it's a great color to keep, do you?

Fun fun! Will take a couple photo's and be back before my "after midnight" big sewing push

Debbie

Jean Sewing Machine
October 15th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I adore it! I just bought an orange tie dye tshirt today. It looks great in fall quilt projects, and I have made several fall projects, which I can't get enough of.

Went to the Dale Chihully exhibit at the Seattle Center today! Lots of orange there! ( See the reflection of the Space Needle in the ball!)

bubba
October 15th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Blech and don't!

Musical_Starling
October 15th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Orange used to be my favourite colour when I was a teenager. I even had orange pants and I wore them out! But somewhere along the way pink became the new orange and I haven't looked back. I can't say that I hate orange though, but it's not at the top of my list like it used to be. And it's funny that I love pink because I'm definitely not a girly girl, but I gravitate toward anything pink, especially the brighter pinks like cerise, fuchsia, or "shocking" pink. (side note: I never used to spell fuchsia properly until recently someone told me it was named after some guy with the last name "fuchs")

turena65
October 15th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I'm with Donna.... I'm not a huge orange fan, but with other colors of fall, I love it. I recently made my parents a quilt using the Fall Foliage line, it was the snowball 4 patch pattern. There isn't a lot of orange in the fabrics, but just enough in just the right prints... leaves. The top looked so good, I can't wait to get it back from the LAQ and see how the leaf pattern on it turned out.

Orange by itself, I don't much care for. But my daughter, who has fair skin, gorgeous blue eyes, and pretty, dark brunette hair, has an orange blouse that she wears and every single time she does, she gets multiple complements on it. That color just looks fantastic on her.

Although I LOOOOVE oranges, and any citrus for that matter! .... go figure :)

Hulamoon
October 15th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I love orange! I was actually wearing an orange tee shirt today. I have a lot in my stash too. Polka dot's, solids, etc. I use it sparingly though. Just that bright unexpected to give a pop of brightness.

Yellow is one I don't use a lot. You have to mix it with the right color. I have a fabric that is yellow with small purple flowers and leaves and I'm still trying to figure out what to match it with. It's so sweet. I hate to see it just sitting there.

ksap
October 15th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Orange makes me think of two things:

#1 Road Construction, which always involves orange cones and orange vests.

#2 University of Syracuse (New York), home of the Orangemen and their mascot Otto the Orange.

I have never bought orange fabric but I have noticed that orange seems to be "in" right now. It is a nice combination when paired with either pink or navy. I will have to try it on a project soon.

Gayle8675309
October 15th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I love the smell and taste of oranges. But the color? I like orange whenever it's paired with blue...those colors just pop together. I don't think I have any orange in my stash...some rusts maybe, but no orange.

bkthomas
October 15th, 2013, 02:26 AM

Not usually, but just had to do this for Fall, my favorite time of year! And again, Thanks to you Lisa....I have this for me!

Notice the borders - I didn't do them in the conventional way - I did them in strip sets of 3
I like how it turned out though!

HdWench
October 15th, 2013, 02:44 AM
oh Kathy, I love how that turned out!!! Yes orange does seem to be a color of the year -- I believe Panatone declared this was the year for Emerald?

I forgot to post this in Show and Tell oh well it's just a fall Table Runner, but I really like THIS color orange with the more fall leaf tones.

:icon_wave:

bkthomas
October 15th, 2013, 02:47 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=orange+stars&client=firefox-a&hs=RgJ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lNZcUoSBJqbA0QWYhIDQBg&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=768&dpr=1

For you Lisa!

Andrea F
October 15th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Orange is probably my least favourite color in the world. No, brown is. I dye my hair black and I have blue eyes and orange doesn´t look good on me. I like to see it on my sons, they are dark blondes. I like all cool colors. No fan of fall colors in general.

I really do like your quilt, Kathy, and your table runner, Debbie, they are really pretty, but I would never go and make something in these colors for myself. It wouldn´t match anything in our house. The walls in my living room are a dark reddish purple with one black wall and a grey sofa. My kitchen is dark red and cream with a (now) black bench that is upholstered in a dark reddish purple tone too. We got the bench from the previous owners of our house. They had it fit in the kitchen by a carpenter. It is rustic oak tree, which is pretty old fashioned here, and had an according upholstery, but now it looks really great.

I do have somesmaller pieces of orange fabric though. I think it looks great in some projects to give it a pop of color and brighten it up.

MayinJerset
October 15th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I thought I would have a problem making my DGD Elizabeth a quilt to take to college with her as she requested one in orange - only time I had used orange before was in leaf blocks or Fall quilts or runners. When I asked her to select some fabric patterns online and double problem as she choose Waverly types. Looked at all the Local and Lancaster quilt shops but nothing until I stopped at local Joann's and found a soft orange and cream print. Her roommate's comment about the quilt when it was on Eliz's dorm bed was, "It's You!" Been trying to post a photo of the quilt but it won't transfer here.

Lisa, I think I have caught your cold - can they travel online? Just kidding. Fell asleep around 8:30 watching TV, woke up 9:30 to find DH and DS watching football and baseball and I was all achy so I went to bed. Slept like a log until 1:30 and now here I am a true Night Owl.

Sheena
October 15th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Orange was the colour of my Mum's kitchen when we were growing up. First we lived in a caravan and then moved to a brand new bungalow. My Mum had orange, brown and yellow flowers on the blind. I never really liked it and it gave me a bad feeling.

But now I LOVE ORANGE. It's a bit difficult to wear because you look like a prisoner or a bottle of Tango. A touch of orange can brighten a project up, but too much is just not classy.

I've been sleeping quite well recently. I've been forcing myself to stay up late. Last night I managed 10.30. I was knitting a baby cardi with cables up the front. I'm going to put it in my etsy shop.

Hulamoon
October 15th, 2013, 04:20 AM
If you girls have Netflix you should watch orange is the new black. Super cool and fun.

Mchelem
October 15th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Orange used to be my favourite colour when I was a teenager. I even had orange pants and I wore them out! But somewhere along the way pink became the new orange and I haven't looked back. I can't say that I hate orange though, but it's not at the top of my list like it used to be. And it's funny that I love pink because I'm definitely not a girly girl, but I gravitate toward anything pink, especially the brighter pinks like cerise, fuchsia, or "shocking" pink. (side note: I never used to spell fuchsia properly until recently someone told me it was named after some guy with the last name "fuchs")

It's actually a plant....(fuchsia) and Leonard's Fuchs was a botanist.

Granny Judy
October 15th, 2013, 06:15 AM
It isn't 5 am here as yet... so I'm still a night owl. Right??

Orange, I definitely like it esp this Fall Season. There are so many gorgeous tones and hues. I got 3 quilts done for Marilyns PICU group that have the loveliest oranges and bright colors in them.. JRR all three. Picture isn't as bright as the real thing.. but You all will recognize these strips from our talk about Big Lots having Jelly Rolls.

cyndiofthevortex
October 15th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I love the pop orange and yellow give a quilt when I really want a big POP! Here are three quilts I made using orange. You'll either love 'em or hate 'em, but I am so happy with how they turned out! The pinwheel quilt is called "Too Much of a Good Thing" and you can see where the name came from. It was made for one of our beloved little foster grandsons who loved color and adored this quilt.

The second one is a Bird of Paradise quilt top started after we came back from a trip to Hawaii.

I had a lovely fish print with lots of orange and yellow, so I decided to pull those colors out to make a tropical fish quilt. I like this one, too.

I think they are "time to wake up!" quilts.

Lisapc
October 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I love orange! I was actually wearing an orange tee shirt today. I have a lot in my stash too. Polka dot's, solids, etc. I use it sparingly though. Just that bright unexpected to give a pop of brightness.

Yellow is one I don't use a lot. You have to mix it with the right color. I have a fabric that is yellow with small purple flowers and leaves and I'm still trying to figure out what to match it with. It's so sweet. I hate to see it just sitting there.

I have a yellow with purple flowers on it and I love it. I am thinking of using it in a large hexie quilt. I just need to find coordinating fabrics first. Who would have thought yellow and purple work? Not me, but it does!

Lisapc
October 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=orange+stars&client=firefox-a&hs=RgJ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lNZcUoSBJqbA0QWYhIDQBg&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=768&dpr=1

For you Lisa!

First thought that popped into my head was, ewe and it was quickly replaced with. "orange done right".

Thanks!

Lisapc
October 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I thought I would have a problem making my DGD Elizabeth a quilt to take to college with her as she requested one in orange - only time I had used orange before was in leaf blocks or Fall quilts or runners. When I asked her to select some fabric patterns online and double problem as she choose Waverly types. Looked at all the Local and Lancaster quilt shops but nothing until I stopped at local Joann's and found a soft orange and cream print. Her roommate's comment about the quilt when it was on Eliz's dorm bed was, "It's You!" Been trying to post a photo of the quilt but it won't transfer here.

Lisa, I think I have caught your cold - can they travel online? Just kidding. Fell asleep around 8:30 watching TV, woke up 9:30 to find DH and DS watching football and baseball and I was all achy so I went to bed. Slept like a log until 1:30 and now here I am a true Night Owl.

May: Keep working on getting that photo posted. My private email is in my user notes and if you want you can email it to me and I will try to help. As for the cold, I have often thought it strange how things travel. A couple of weeks ago my Lil' Guy had a terrible virus with high fever and cough and a forum friend all the way in CT had 2 grandson's with the same exact symptoms. I think the internet shows us how fast these things travel.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Lisapc
October 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Orange was the colour of my Mum's kitchen when we were growing up. First we lived in a caravan and then moved to a brand new bungalow. My Mum had orange, brown and yellow flowers on the blind. I never really liked it and it gave me a bad feeling.

But now I LOVE ORANGE. It's a bit difficult to wear because you look like a prisoner or a bottle of Tango. A touch of orange can brighten a project up, but too much is just not classy.

I've been sleeping quite well recently. I've been forcing myself to stay up late. Last night I managed 10.30. I was knitting a baby cardi with cables up the front. I'm going to put it in my etsy shop.

You don't have to be up late or wake up in the middle of the night to be a Night Owl. It is us Night Owls that envy sleeping normally that start this thread but all are welcome. A lot of early birds have a lot to offer here.

Orange and brown. Hmmmmmm!

Lisapc
October 15th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I love the pop orange and yellow give a quilt when I really want a big POP! Here are three quilts I made using orange. You'll either love 'em or hate 'em, but I am so happy with how they turned out! The pinwheel quilt is called "Too Much of a Good Thing" and you can see where the name came from. It was made for one of our beloved little foster grandsons who loved color and adored this quilt.

The second one is a Bird of Paradise quilt top started after we came back from a trip to Hawaii.

I had a lovely fish print with lots of orange and yellow, so I decided to pull those colors out to make a tropical fish quilt. I like this one, too.

I love every one of these. I think I needed quilting to see orange differently.

Miss Sheri
October 15th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Oranges, Love to EAT them! The COLOR orange. . . When I was in Jr. High School (a lifetime ago, haha) I had biology directly before lunch. On the days we were disecting frogs (eeww!) I would purposely wear orange, say I didn't feel well, and go rest in the office until that class period was over, (ok, not proud of that now.) BUT, I was NEVER questioned as to if I really felt ill because that was how bad I look in orange! lol! I am like Lisa, and Turena, I had to begin quilting to find a place for the color orange, except in the fall leaves, which I love.
I LOVE all the darling quilts and runners shown!

Lisapc
October 15th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Oranges, Love to EAT them! The COLOR orange. . . When I was in Jr. High School (a lifetime ago, haha) I had biology directly before lunch. On the days we were disecting frogs (eeww!) I would purposely wear orange, say I didn't feel well, and go rest in the office until that class period was over, (ok, not proud of that now.) BUT, I was NEVER questioned as to if I really felt ill because that was how bad I look in orange! lol! I am like Lisa, and Turena, I had to begin quilting to find a place for the color orange, except in the fall leaves, which I love.
I LOVE all the darling quilts and runners shown!

You are really smart. I never would have thought of that to avoid dissecting a frog!

lilmouse
October 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Cyndi, I like them all but love the "Bird of Paradise" quilt"; so pretty!

Lindagie
October 15th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Love oranges; orange and blue are University of Illinois colors; Orange and Black are our HS colors. Yay! Love most shades of orange, esp. with other Fall colors! Like wearing certain shades of orange; just don't like orange hair. Actually there aren't too many colors that I don't like; depends on what mood I am in I guess. This post is REALLY late for the last night's posts or really early for tonight.

Renate
October 15th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Orange is definitly the colour of my sweetheart. His harley davidson is painted in a sparkling orange, his golf cloth are all orange, his watch is orange ... Sometimes he looks like ... No for a pumpkin he is not round enough ... Funny question dear Lisa. I like to read all the answers. Thanks for telling

MayinJerset
October 15th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I love oranges also. Last week I bought a bag of those little clementine oranges and I've been have two or three with my lunch. I love the manderines more but haven't seen any in the supermarket yet.

Used to use a lot of orange when I began oil painting as instructor always has some in the still life compostions we had to paint, blue was the perfect color for the oranges' shadows.

As I said earlier I was surprised to find such a nice soft orange print for my DGD's quilt. Hope it gets posted this time. Nothing doing. I did get some Patriotic Christmas Stocking posted in Groups but couldn't get the pillowcases to load in the Elves Give Back Group. I'll try another route by emailing it to Lisa and she can see if she can post it.

Kathy, I love the difference kind of borders you used on your quilt, makes the whole quilt more interesting.

Cyndi, Those Birds of Paradise flowers are beautiful.