PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Mr. Night Owl

Lisapc
October 14th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Good evening! I made a big pot of chicken soup. We had dinner and I feel asleep around 5pm. I woke up almost an hour ago. Not good! What is good is that the cold is going away. I am so grateful for that. The last cold tried to kill me.

So what I have been stuck on lately and I think it is a good thing to be stuck on is stars. It seems that everything I am making, designing has a start somewhere in it. I know it in two names. Jenny's star and the Lemoyne star. If it is not the same thing please feel free to correct me. Some people put stars on top of their Christmas trees but we don't. We put an Angel on top of ours because it invites the souls to come join us for our holiday celebration and be remembered by us.

So tonight our topic is stars. Do you quilt with them? What pattern? Do you decorate with them for a Holiday? We are all very interested to know so please enlighten us?

Gayle8675309
October 14th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Hi Lisa...glad you are feeling a bit better.

Stars...funny you should mention them...I just tonight put a star pattern into my cart on amazon. I love star quilts. I bought a quilt book that is all stars, but once I got it and looked at the patterns I was too scared to make them. This pattern that I found on amazon is supposed to be an easy one. Here it is:

Amazon.com - Atkinson Lucky Stars Quilt Pattern FQ Quilt (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004619BE0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1V489UP7Z54YU)

We put a star on our Christmas tree.

Kgrammiecaz
October 14th, 2013, 01:04 AM
This year I made two quilts, one each for my mom and dad doe their 60th wedding anniversary. Each block was a star with the center being a family photo. With 50 places between the two I was to add in some fun ones of each member of the family

Some of my project bags have star designs as part of them

This all said I am kinda tired od seeing them even though I like them.

We also put an Angel on our tree.

Glad to jear you are feeling a bit better.

dwil23
October 14th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Yes, Glad you are feeling better! Take care of yourself.

I have made at least two quilts with the "Flying geese" stars - can't think of the official name(s). There are several others that I would like to do including Jenny's Big star and the carpenter star.

Kgrammiecaz
October 14th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Hi Lisa...glad you are feeling a bit better.

Stars...funny you should mention them...I just tonight put a star pattern into my cart on amazon. I love star quilts. I bought a quilt book that is all stars, but once I got it and looked at the patterns I was too scared to make them. This pattern that I found on amazon is supposed to be an easy one. Here it is:

Amazon.com - Atkinson Lucky Stars Quilt Pattern FQ Quilt (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004619BE0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1V489UP7Z54YU)

We put a star on our Christmas tree.

Thats pretty much the quil I made for mom and dad. It was easy pretty much but time consuming. It was fu. For the most part as well. Adding the photos as the center square took extra time because i used cloth cotton sheet that go thru printer than cut them to fit in different ways and then just used decorative machine stitches to put them on the blocks.

They have seen them but I am now just finishing up the quilting just sid for these. I will post someday when they are done

bubba
October 14th, 2013, 01:27 AM
We sometimes put a star, sometimes an angel. When I'm really missing my dad, I go outside and look up at the night sky till I find the brightest star I can and I know it's him, watching over me.

Hulamoon
October 14th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Glad your getting better:)

Gayle that is so pretty.

I haven't tried a star quit but I like the one Gayle is going to do. We decorate the tree with homemade/craft things. The topper is a bear in red long johns and a long sleeping hat. He clips to the top. I don't think I have any star ornaments. Oh except a paper one that on of my dd's made.

MayinJerset
October 14th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Lisa, Glad your cold is waning and you are feeling better.

I like Stars too! The Sawtooth Star 57982 is my favorite. This one has some squares in the center but they can have a solid center or photo center, whatever you like. I've also made quilts with Friendship Stars, Wacky Stars, Ribbon Stars and a few other stars I can't remember the names of right now.

I have 3 quilts hanging up in my house and 2 of them feature Stars. One is a wall hanging with sparkly sawtooth stars in different sizes on a medium blue background. I was trying to do something about Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night but I didn't quite get it. 57983

One of the projects on my To Do List is a large Carpenter's Star quilt, probably in blues and browns with beige background.

We have a big paper Mache golden star that we used to put on the top of our Christmas Tree but a few years ago I decided to put an angel on top instead as it is more peaceful looking. I also put some angels around the house during Christmas, none of them are really big just some soft beautiful ones the help celebrate the season. I haven't forgotten about the gold star, it will be on mantel or a book shelf.

Lindagie
October 14th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I also bought a Star blocks book on Amazon a few years ago that came with a ruler, and I was kind of afraid to try any of the patterns. I need to find that book again. Maybe I will be brave enough to try it now. I actually like randomly sized and randomly placed stars and also abstract stars at times. I do like the pattern Gayle just bought though.
Last year I started to make 3 of "Jenny's" stars using charms, instead of the layer cake squares; got one star finished and then had to stop due to DH's surprise heart surgery right before Christmas. I was going to make 3 of them for a table runner; may decide to make 3 separate candle mats instead. I bought 2 of those painted metal stars a long time ago. I need to find a good place to hang them this year. They can be used at Christmas or July 4, Memorial Day; whenever!

We have an Angel on our tree as well; love angels! **** Lisa; lots of rest and lots of fluids! Aren't colds just so annoying? They just wear me out!

Lisapc
October 14th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Gayle, I love that pattern. I am stuck on Jenny's star right now and when I get bored who knows what I will move onto. I am sure you will do great with this one.

May, I love the blues and whites. Just so serene, elegant and plain old pretty!

Lindagie, candle mats are great and I certainly should make some. I hope you have a peaceful and happy holiday season this year.

Bubba, I think Dads are always with their little girls.

Lori: Can I get a picture of that little long john bear this year?

Kgrammiecaz, that quilt sounds amazing. It must have been an instant treasure.

Donna: The ones I am doing are Jenny's and if I can do them anyone can. Let's just say that starch is my friend.

turena65
October 14th, 2013, 02:48 AM
May, I love the blues and whites in your quilt, beautiful!

I haven't made a quilt with stars in it yet, but I have a jelly roll I am saving to make Jenny's Jelly Star Quilt pattern. Not sure if I want to use black or white as the background fabric, I think either one would look amazing.

We have the best of both worlds on our tree.... an angel holding a star! We have used the same angel for about 20 years now, she glows different colors, can't believe she still works. But we have lots of stars on our tree.... we use a star garland. It's so pretty! :)

Renate
October 14th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Star pattern seem to be "a must have this season" and also my DD Carolin asked me to make a Star quilt for her. Here is the first Block:

The star is applicated and I let me surprise myself, how this Projects will proceed.

tonight I was a night owl to, could not sleep, but with the "runaway quilt", this night was really amusing.

Mchelem
October 14th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Haven't made any quilt stars yet, but they're on the "list"

We don't put an angel or a star on our tree, we put a horseshoe. Weird, yes, but we're from Texas. I also use a lariat rope and boots for stockings lol

HdWench
October 14th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Lisa so glad to hear some extra rest made you feel better, kick that cold to the curb soon!! Hope you take Vit D daily?? That helps so much keeping colds away :-)

Gayle - you have made a run on that book - only 2 left!!! I love it, and will wait to see how you think it works out. It is beautiful and the review said Easy too.

May - I love your Starry Night! It does look avande' garde with the different sizes

Nope, have made no stars yet -- but bought uhh a few Layer Cakes to give the Big star tut a try, glad to hear with some Starch it may be a success ;-)

We have a beautiful angel on our tree the stars are silver, just outlines hanging below her. Enjoy your evening/morning all

Debbie

cyndiofthevortex
October 14th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Good morning, all. I feel like I have deserted you by sleeping through the night! I'm enjoying that gift right now so please forgive me!

I love stars but I think I've only made one star quilt, a wonky star. It is absolutely foolproof. NO ONE can mess this pattern up no matter how you try, once you get the hang of the pattern. Two practice blocks and I was ready to go. PM me if you want the tut.

Gayle, that star quilt is so pretty. I know you could do it. Make a couple of practice blocks to see if it really is hard to do. You'll never know until you try. Have some confidence. It's only fabric with a few seams. Don't ever be afraid of it! You have the rotary cutter! It should be more afraid of you than you are of it. Of course we don't want our fabric to be afraid and I am just happily rambling, aren't I?

My sister made me a simple but lovely angel for our Christmas tree that we've used for 30 years. She is still beautiful. The seven kids have taken turns putting her up every year and they never forget whose turn it is. Even now that they've grown whoever is here follows that tradition.

HdWench
October 14th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Good morning Cyndi and good night lol I do love that wonky star!! I will pm you when I get up (after 5 am here) just checking the prayer list to remind me... Enjoy sleeping when you can :-)

Debbie

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 14th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I'm into wonky stars right now. Can't get enough of them!

And definitely stars instead of angels on the top of our tree. I love 'em!

Sheena
October 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I like stars. I've got a telescope.

I think the stars (including planets and other space thingies) are fascinating, as is the whole subject of space.

I made Alex (no 3 son) a space quilt - it's in the gallery.

You're so lucky to have all those stars on your flag!

Sheena
October 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear you've got a cold, Lisa. I never get colds but they seem pretty miserable.

pcbatiks
October 14th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I haven't tried making any stars yet but I do like the wonky stars with lots of colors.

On our tree we have a star, an angel, snoopy in pj's, a bow, decorative tree picks.....

lilmouse
October 14th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Lisa so glad to hear some extra rest made you feel better, kick that cold to the curb soon!! Hope you take Vit D daily?? That helps so much keeping colds away :-)

Gayle - you have made a run on that book - only 2 left!!! I love it, and will wait to see how you think it works out. It is beautiful and the review said Easy too.

May - I love your Starry Night! It does look avande' garde with the different sizes

Nope, have made no stars yet -- but bought uhh a few Layer Cakes to give the Big star tut a try, glad to hear with some Starch it may be a success ;-)

We have a beautiful angel on our tree the stars are silver, just outlines hanging below her. Enjoy your evening/morning all

Debbie
Debbie, I have made the big star quilt and I didn't have any trouble with it....made one and used it like a medallion quilt...put it in the center and then went around and around with red, white and blue fabrics....will see if I can send a picture to Kathy and have her post it for me; and will be taking my lap top with me to visit my daughter - so either my daughter or DSIL can show me how to post pictures easily...we will see...I sure do hope so....I am so technically challenged it isn't funny anymore!