PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me.....

bubba
October 13th, 2013, 10:47 PM
My friend from work brought in the featherweight today. It is in good shape, but not as pristine as she made it out to be. Also, the case was torn on one corner, but I don't really care about that so much. Anyway, she knows nothing on their worth. I know it is worth between $200 - $300. Her and her sister have been looking on Etsy and think they will get $600+ for it, so I told her good luck. She came down to $375, but I'm kind of hurt and slightly offended that she does not value my opinion on this. I'll look again when I get home from Hawaii in January.

auntiemern
October 13th, 2013, 11:45 PM
So sorry it didn't work out for you. But you need to remember, that there was a reason for that. You will get the one you are meant to have, when you are meant to have it. :)

Gayle8675309
October 14th, 2013, 12:53 AM
That's too bad that she is over pricing the machine. I'm sorry, I know what it's like to get excited about an upcoming purchase...no fun being disappointed. :(

Lisapc
October 14th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Don't be disappointed because this is not your machine. You and your machine will find your way to each other.

Hawaii! Amazing!

Judy, USMC
October 14th, 2013, 03:42 AM
You are so right Bubba! I've been looking at the Featherweights on EBay and the ones with cases went between $186 and $300. One 1954 model went for $356 ... but that's really unusual ... looked like everything was great. Too bad they don't value your opinion.

It is sad when people have high expectations. They will be holding on to that machine for a long time at a $600 asking price. Looks like you can get a better deal on one from EBay even paying extra for shipping.

Monique
October 14th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Looks like all they want is $$$$$. The right one will come along when you are not expecting it. Be patient.

HdWench
October 14th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Agree with everyone and so sorry for your disappointment. Your experience and opinion they will remember, months and years from now as they still sit on that machine *dreaming*... Have a great trip :-)

Bubby
October 14th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I have three Featherweight machines and love them. Your friend can ask $600 for the machine but asking it and getting it are two different things. If a FW sews well and is otherwise in good shape, around here they go from $250-$350. The machine I use most is missing part of the decals (from use) but it sews like a dream. I have one that is in pristine condition and I don't use it at all. The third one I'm saving for my DGD for when she comes back to earth and wants to sew again. She's in college right now and busy every minute of every day. It's not unusual at all for the cases to be worn. Even though my cases are in good shape and the locks work, I still put a bungee cord around them for safety when traveling with my machines to a class or on vacation.

The right machine will cross your path and you will know it's the one for you. Be patient...it took me quite a while to find my first one.

Claire Hallman
October 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I just got one for $300. It had originally been purchased on e-bay for the same amount. The case is a bit rough, missing one latch but I have one of those ordered [won on e-bay for too much money]
Even with both latches in place I worry about using the case handle, it is old and might be brittle. I plan on making it a tote for the case to sit in with sturdy handles. I have to just figure out my design first, I have the perfect fabric.

bubba
October 14th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Well, thanks for all your comments. It's nice to see I was not being unreasonable, because I really don't think I was! When I went to bed last night, the last thing I had heard from her was she would split the difference and I turned her down. Lo and behold, I woke up this morning to find another message from her that she would come down to the price I had offered and was willing to pay! We will see if she brings it in today for round two.....

ilive2craft2
October 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM
If this is the one, it will work out. If it's not, there will be another one in your future. I need to get my Grandmas out and see what it is.

Sandy Navas
October 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Please make sure, if you agree on the price, to sit down and try it out FIRST!!! They are basically quite easy to find parts and do minor repairs but there are a couple issues that could cause the deal to fall through from my viewpoint: Sometimes the take-up lever in the bobbin area will 'catch' the upper thread and cause it to jam . . . almost impossible to 'repair' if it happens consistently. Don't forget to thread the needle Right to Left . . . also, any 'delay' or sluggishness of the motor can probably be fixed with a minor adjustment (there's a screw that holds the motor in place - loosen and gradually adjust the position while trying the machine and then retighten . . . does that make sense?).

Good Luck - let me know if you need any help with parts and clean-up.