PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Night Owls- Open Mike!

Lisapc
October 13th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I had a pretty good topic ready and then I remembered that Cyndi said tonight is open mike. So we get to chat about whatever we want. I choose pet peeves! A huge pet peeve with my husband the ever wonderful Mr. Peter.

What is it that has me so irritated with Mr. Wonderful? Well some of you might not like it because I know some men don't do this. My Dad doesn't do this and it drives my mother nuts. What does Mr. Wonderful do?

HE HELPS ME! My intent for today because I am fighting a cold was to relax, to read, to square up some HST's and to do one load of laundry. The whites. Peter brought the laundry downstairs and started the wash. Great guy! When I went down to put it in the dryer it was soaking wet. He, yet again overloaded the machine. It was so overloaded the detergent didn't wash out. So that one white load turned into 3 loads. I thought he got the point after our little talk. At 9:45 pm he proudly brought me 2 laundry baskets full of clean dried clothes. He did all of the laundry. I do not iron. I press my quilting fabric but I do not iron. He left this laundry sitting in the basket in the basement for hours so I now have a huge amount of clothing full of wrinkles.

I adore my hubby and I am grateful that he wants to help and wants me to take care of myself but I just wish he would the laundry alone. I wish he would not get all squirrelly when there are dirty clothes.

What he doesn't know is that despite me folding those wrinkled clothes I have every intention of putting them through another rinse cycle and drying them over again!

I have vented and feel better now. I beg the forgiveness of women who have hubbies like my Dad who couldn't do laundry or clean a house if their lives depended on it. I do realize I am lucky but the laundry is my domain!

So what do you want to chat about tonight?

MayinJerset
October 13th, 2013, 02:08 AM
My Pet Peeve? I know we don't have to talk about our DH but I need to. We've been married 58 years and you are asking me to pick one! OK, halfway through our marriage I realized DH only listened to half of what I said thinking he already knew what I was talking about. Wrong! Example: He was 'helping" by picking up cold cuts while he was out. Told him we had ham and cheese so pick up some turkey. He knew I mentioned all three so he bought a 1/2 pound of each. You can only imagine how it is now that he can't hear the other half of what I say to him, LOL!

Lisa, your Pet Peeve reminds me of the day I came home from the hospital with DS#3. DH told me I could rest when I got home as he had done the laundry. It was 2 days before Christmas when I walked into the living room and found the laundry piled high on the living room couch. He also was so proud that he had put up the Christmas tree and let our 8 and 10 year olds decorate it. Somehow he didn't notice it was decorated only on the bottom, only as high as they boys could reach. To make his 'helping' even worse several neighbors popped in at that time to see the new baby and they also got to see the laundry, the half decorated tree and the Christmas decorating boxes all over the living room.

Judy, USMC
October 13th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Pet peeves ... I can totally relate, Lisa! My DH does not wash & dry ... he boils & bakes. Everything WAS washed on hot and dried on hot for 60 minutes. He can still launder his clothes ... and sheets ... and white towels. But hands off anything that belongs to me.

My current pet peeve is false advertising. Guess it was kicked off by the various sizes the Lovely charms were cut. But then there's the 99 cent items on ebay that have a 99.00 shipping charge; or going to the store that advertises a sale price but at checkout the full price shows up; or the surcharges that never get mentioned until you have something in your cart.

I'm a planning and budgeting person so that drives me completely batty.

Kgrammiecaz
October 13th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I like doing laundry so I feel for you both. I am divorced so there is no one trying to "help" me with it.

I am a sort of empty nester. I live with my middle daughter and her daughter who is my only grandbaby (8 yrs old already). So my pet peeve is when they come use anything of mine because its better, its cleaner, it was closer,whatever. I say go get and/or find your own.

Cant wait to have my own place next year. Hopefully they womt walk off with something on their visits lol

pcbatiks
October 13th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Pet peeves ....that is a good topic. I don't have a problem doing laundry......my pet peeve starts in the stores. I want to know why it's so hard to find cotton clothing in the ladies clothing departments but you can go to the men's dept and everything is made of 100 percent cotton........that drives me crazy! My other HUGE pet peeve is people messing with a cell phone when they are driving & talking loudly on a cell phone in public.

Musical_Starling
October 13th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Aaaagh! The Giant does that too! Worse is when he leaves the shirts that can't be dried in the washer overnight. Drives me nuts! I know, I should be grateful he's even trying, but dangit! That's using twice the detergent and twice the water for nothing. And I do NOT iron clothes, and I do NOT take them back downstairs for a second dry cycle. You leave the clothes to get wrinkled? Then you wear wrinkled shirts and pants. Simple. I iron "important" clothes, so for things like weddings, funerals, job interviews. But you need a regular shirt to wear to do regular things? Not happening.

maxwellthecat
October 13th, 2013, 02:58 AM
My pet peeve is: DH cooks so much better than I do. Another thing, he flosses his teeth at the dinner table. He always forgets to empty the lint filter from the dryer. For the few things that he does, he takes care of me everyday to the fullest. In April, we will be married for 40 years

bkthomas
October 13th, 2013, 02:58 AM
I like doing laundry so I feel for you both. I am divorced so there is no one trying to "help" me with it.

I am a sort of empty nester. I live with my middle daughter and her daughter who is my only grandbaby (8 yrs old already). So my pet peeve is when they come use anything of mine because its better, its cleaner, it was closer,whatever. I say go get and/or find your own.

Cant wait to have my own place next year. Hopefully they womt walk off with something on their visits lol

Now that reminds me of my mother, she would give me something and then later when she would come over to my house (of course she recognized it) and say, "Hey, that's mine" - forgetting that she had given it to me.
Now every now and then I "sort of" do the same to my DD, with one exception (because I remember what my mom did to me) I say, "Did I give you this?" hehe I check first.....

bkthomas
October 13th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Lisa, with that title, at first I thought this would be the last time we had "open mike" night
but I get it now. I took a late nap and just woke up.

.................................................. ........Hi Cyndi............................................. ....................................
I know she'll see this sometime!

Hulamoon
October 13th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Pet peeve... people that don't use their dam blinkers! Your sitting at a turn and they just come up an turn and don't give the courtesy to let you go. Drives me crazy!

Hulamoon
October 13th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Kathy that story reminds me of one of my dd's. I just lost the last of my childhood family (2010) and she just kept asking for stuff. I didn't even have time to greive yet and she was angry I wasn't giving her anything. She once said I don't hardly know her and she's old anyway. Well that's why you don't get it then.

She was dying of cancer and I had to do it all on my own as the last person. I don't think I'm over it yet.

Terri
October 13th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Amen! Amen! AMEN!!!! I get so stinkin' worked up each & every time someone does not use their blinker/turn signal I think I could blow a blood vessel!!! I posted on FB one time when I was really fed up, that I was beginning to thing that they were "optional" equipment on cars and people were opting NOT to get them!! Then at the same time, I do not "trust" those who actually have their turn signals on.....example: I am waiting to turn left and someone is approaching with their signal on, indicating that they are turning onto the street that I am coming out of....I do NOT trust that they are actually turning. I know of more than one person who has been "fooled" by that very situation, pulled out to turn and ended up in a bad car accident. I don't want that happening to me, so I wait until said vehicle actually slows and begins to turn!! Rant over.....

Pet peeve... people that don't use their dam blinkers! Your sitting at a turn and they just come up an turn and don't give the courtesy to let you go. Drives me crazy!

Iris Girl
October 13th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Amen! Amen! AMEN!!!! I get so stinkin' worked up each & every time someone does not use their blinker/turn signal I think I could blow a blood vessel!!! I posted on FB one time when I was really fed up, that I was beginning to thing that they were "optional" equipment on cars and people were opting NOT to get them!! Then at the same time, I do not "trust" those who actually have their turn signals on.....example: I am waiting to turn left and someone is approaching with their signal on, indicating that they are turning onto the street that I am coming out of....I do NOT trust that they are actually turning. I know of more than one person who has been "fooled" by that very situation, pulled out to turn and ended up in a bad car accident. I don't want that happening to me, so I wait until said vehicle actually slows and begins to turn!! Rant over.....

Totally agree to this on both points with blinkers. My other BIG pet peeve as a cashier is the rude people who come to the register talking on their cell phone and don't answer me when I say hello how are you etc. We have to say certain things when customers come to the register and being ignored makes my blood boil, worse yet is when they answer it if it rings in the middle of their transaction. Another bad point is when they are counting out change and looking for it and I hold my hand out so they can place it IN my hand and they slap it on the counter instead... Their change and reciept then goes on the counter also and hopefully they have long fake nails and have a hard time picking it up... Working as a cashier I see my fair share of rude and nasty people. Thankfully they are only 1 or 2 % of my customers and most are happy and smiling .

bkthomas
October 13th, 2013, 06:34 AM
(((((((Lorie)))))))))

easyquilts
October 13th, 2013, 06:43 AM
My DH Often does the laundry, and does it as well as I can... And I have NEVER had to pick up after him. I'm the messy one..

However... He nags... And when he does, I usually just take longer to do whatever it is he wants me to do... It Drives Me Crazy....

January will be 46 years.... The nagging didn't really start until the last couple of years.... But..... It's still very annoying... Very.

MayinJerset
October 13th, 2013, 10:21 AM
"January will be 46 years.... The nagging didn't really start until the last couple of years.... But..... It's still very annoying... Very. "

Sandy, My guess is that your DH is retired. Most men don't retire easily, they were so used to controlling their work environment that they need something to replace it so it's their good old wife and home. Been there too. Lucky for me DH has been taking one or two courses per semester at local college. After buying text and supplies the classes are pretty much free for seniors, they can register a week after the semester begins for any class that still has room.

Sew Perfect
October 13th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I have a couple of pet peeves. One, already mentioned, is people who don't use their turn signals. The next one, already mentioned as well, is when DH nags. The third is a procrastinator. That must mean that I get on my own nerves because I am a procrastinator to an extent...just look at my UFO pile! I carry this gene that causes me to start something without sometimes finishing. :0 WOOPS!!

Okay, enough of that. I must tell my dear Night Owl Friends what a wonderful thing my Mr. Wonderful did for me yesterday! He asked me what I wanted to do, and I said "I don't know, I guess nothing." Well I'd been doing "nothing" all week! He said, "Hey. isn't there some sort of a shop hop trunk show thing with the quilt shops this weekend?" I told him I didn't feel like going. But, he talked me into getting ready and getting out of the house.

After feeling so poorly for two weeks, I must say...Going on the "Trunk of Treat" shop hop was great medicine for me. Not cheap medicine, but great medicine. And I was sure to tell my husband thank you for what he'd done for me. He drove me around to the shops and I was able to buy a few treats from each shop AND pick up a FREE Fall leaf pattern with applique.

After that, he took me to dinner at Cracker Barrel. We were so hungry and I actually ordered something other than a salad. Mr. Wonderful was more wonderful because he ate half of my food when I was full!

THE END

cyndiofthevortex
October 13th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I know I have a bunch of pet peeves, but I'm so happy right now about my quilt ribbons I can hardly think of one!

DH is really a dream hubby. Instead of helping me it's more like when do I help him? He cooks (great), does laundry (much better than I do), keeps the cars gassed up and empties the litter box. Today he's making me eggs and homefries for breakfast! He loves quilting and supports me 100%. He helps me choose fabrics and patterns and has great taste.

He does have a major flaw, though. He is perpetually late. He is incapable of being on time. He even forgot to pick up our marriage license before the place closed the day before our wedding and his best man had to find someone on a Saturday morning before our 10 am wedding to open City Hall and get it for us. Of course no one told the nervous bride until after I was safely married.

Of course, I hate being late. It drives me nuts. So I usually tell him we have to be there at 8:30 when we really have to be there at 9 and work things out that way. We used to fight about it all the time until I just decided to love him the way he is. I figured out I couldn't change him but maybe I could work around this problem. His mom says he's been like this since age 5 and was always late for school.

If I die first I hope they wait for him to show up before they start the funeral.

Andrea F
October 13th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I can totally relate to the laundry pet peeve, except for it is not my hubby leaving laundry that just came warm out of the dryer in the laundry basket until everything is completely crinkled. My kids are doing this sometimes and it drives me crazy.

The second thing is that at least two of my three men bring their used dishes in the kitchen and put it right ON TOP OF THE DISHWASHER! Why canīt they open the dishwasher and place the dirty dishes INSIDE of it? Itīs not that difficult, I do it all the time...

HdWench
October 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I truly believe that about men don't retire well!!!! The last few years my DH has been losing his hearing.... when he YELLED at one of our customer who just gave us a great compliment (I pulled DH to the side who was totally ashamed).. he went to the hearing doc and it is in Voice Range! So one of my pet peeves is when he can't hear what I've said the way he almost yells "WHAT???@@) I've asked him to say, oh hey I didn't hear all that or anything NICER than WHAT WHAT rrrrrrrrrrrrr I feel so bad for his hearing loss, but every time he says WHAT loudly to me, I have to take a deep breath not to just scream back *sigh*

He is also loves to cook and it is fabulous, EXCEPT everything is seasoned -- When we were leaving Missouri I spent a day cleaning our trailer, that night he cooks (yes I do love that), but our deal is - he cooks I clean up the mess and OMG what a mess!! He "salts" the range top, every counter within shaking distance... and uses EVERY pan and piece of cookware in the house

Andrea I got a smile from yours!! Only 2 of us live here and I swear I am the ONLY one that seems to know how to OPEN the dishwasher!!!!!! I am thinking right now what IF I put a sign on the top saying "OPEN ME" :-)

and Selective hearing -- We will be 25 years next August, and I know marriage is like a roller coaster (how I think of it), when it is down if you both can at least "be polite" until the crisis is over, the coaster does begin slowly to go back up -- But after "semi-retirement" and many years together, I think forgetting to just treat your wife (or husband) Politely as you would a Stranger is not something they remember anymore!

I had a long talk with my mom during July (her, my dad and grandson came to visit for my b-day)... they celebrated 60 years together in September but OMG the things she tells me about being married LONGER :icon_rolleyes: Then my dad took me to the side and of course told ME about the things my mother does that irritate him ROFL

ooops sorry just began my 2nd pot of coffee :-)

((((((((((((Cyndi)))))))))) See you, or Lisa tonight in the Night Owls!!

;-Debbie