PDA

View Full Version : Early Bird -- opposite of the night owls.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 12th, 2013, 07:11 AM
So I've been up between 3:00 am and 4:45 am every day this week, including 4:00 this morning!

My normal time is 5:00 am, but I keep waking up early and then I can't get back to sleep. Friday night I was so tired I went to bed at 7:30 pm (I know, how pitiful is that?), so it's no wonder I'm up again today at 4:00.

I guess I don't mind today since I'm having a dinner party for 13 tonight. I have already set my table and I'm getting ready to start cooking after I have another cup of coffee. When it's light outside, I'll take a photo and share it. I think it looks pretty even though it's mismatched (I don't have 13 of the same plates, napkins, etc.).

My menu is grilled tri-tip, mushroom risotto, green salad with all the fixings including homemade croutons, roasted veggies, and potato cake with jarlsberg cheese. I'm also making a brown butter pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing and a candied nut topping.

Off to the kitchen! Hope you have a lovely day quilting, I hope to get some in tomorrow.

Iris Girl
October 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I have always been an early bird. Between my job or getting hubby up and out of the house between 5 and 6 and making sure he gets breakfast and lunch ready. There is no going back to bed for me unless I am sick. It gives me a headache or makes me lazy rest of the day. I am my most productive in the morning. by 3pm I am on the wind down. By dinner time I have had it I can maybe watch something on tv or faceplant a book by 8 or 9 latest we are in bed so we can get up at 4 the next day.

Bubby
October 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM
We are early risers and I love it that way. Your menu sounds wonderful1

MRoy
October 12th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Another early bird here...usually up by 5 a.m. Joan, your menu for the dinner party sounds wonderful. I'm sure it will be a great success. DH has left the house and I've got my coffee and the "Country's Family Reunion" show (music) on the TV. That's part of my Saturday morning routine.

Carol336
October 12th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Pretty much an early bird here too. However I do have bouts of waking at 3am - don't know if that an early bird, or night owl - LOL
I'm new to the world of quilting.....in fact haven't even made my first quilt. I'm having a blast making totes from Jenny's Tut. I made 2 or 3 for myself and now everyone I know wants one for chirstmas, so that;s what I've been doing lately. I'm getting ready to do my first one with a zipper using Jean's 5 part tut. My she is one talented lady.

I have been gathering fabric for my first quilt which will be a lap quilt. I am making a new years resolution to begin it at the start of 2014 (hopefully I'll be done with all these gift totes by then)

Jean Sewing Machine
October 12th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Pretty much an early bird here too. However I do have bouts of waking at 3am - don't know if that an early bird, or night owl - LOL
I'm new to the world of quilting.....in fact haven't even made my first quilt. I'm having a blast making totes from Jenny's Tut. I made 2 or 3 for myself and now everyone I know wants one for chirstmas, so that;s what I've been doing lately. I'm getting ready to do my first one with a zipper using Jean's 5 part tut. My she is one talented lady.

I have been gathering fabric for my first quilt which will be a lap quilt. I am making a new years resolution to begin it at the start of 2014 (hopefully I'll be done with all these gift totes by then)thanks, Carol! Glad to be Of service! Hope your zipper tote turns out well!

Sandy Navas
October 12th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I used to be an early bird, but evidently filled up on too many worms. Now I just get up whenever I feel like it. However, I am so excited about dinner at Joan's house tonight . . . did anyone catch what time we're to show up? Wonder if there's anything I can bring special for her . . .

Joan, your menu sounds fantastic. I'm also a lover of mis-matched dinner settings. More character and interest. Have fun!!

MayinJerset
October 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Hey Sandy you beat me to it, I was going to invite myself to Joan's delicious sounding dinner by telling her 13 was an unlucky 'umber so I'd do her a favor by being #14. There are just enough leftovers for DH;s dinner and DS#3 is going out so I'm free. Oh, darn it, just remembered I have a lunch engagement at DS#2's tomorrow so I can't hop a plane and fly out to your house for tonight's dinner party. Maybe next time.

Not an early bird this morning but my coffee is beginning to work and I'm off to clean my Brother sewing machine. Later this afternoon I need to pick up salad stuff for tomorrow's lunch. While I'm out I'll stop by Open Sew at my Guild to return book I borrowed from our library, chat a bit with the gals too.

Can't believe Guild's year is almost over. First Thursday evening in November we will have our Harvest Supper and some fun stuff to end our year. Everyone brings a dish or donates some dollars towards the dinner and there are always prizes or little gifts for everyone. We also have our Dolly Quilt display at the supper. Hope members have been busy making doll quilts as we need about 65 - 75 this year for the Head Start kids in next town. Senior group there wraps a doll or teddy in a doll quilt as Christmas gifts to the kids. I have about 6 done so far and hope to make a few more before the Harvest Dinner. Almost everyone makes cute ones suitable for little girls so I try to make mine something both boys and girls would like or just for boys. Being the mother of 3 boys I tend to notice things like that.

Carol336
October 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Jean,
I've watched your tut several times and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I did get my zipper, but since I made this particular tote a little larger it's not big enough. Have to run out and get another. Probably won't be able to get to it until Tuesday because of a busy weekend and dr appt on Monday. So that gives me time for one more look see at the tut - LOL. Can you tell I'm a tad nervous about this!!!

This forum is so wonderful and motivational- I have a giant list of things I want to make - should take me through 2015 at least!!!!

thanks, Carol! Glad to be Of service! Hope your zipper tote turns out well!

Lisapc
October 12th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Wonderful dinner menu. You are going to have a table full of guests that won't be able to leave their seats because they ate too much. I would prefer to be an early bird rather than a night owl but at least here the company is really great.