PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls- I am late and have an idea?

Lisapc
October 12th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I didn't feel good so I sat down. That was 6 hours ago.

Anyway, Cyndi and I were wondering something:

What are some of your ideas for this nightly thread? That is part 1, part 2 is how was your day?

Musical_Starling
October 12th, 2013, 01:56 AM
You mean us Night Owls are not your main priority in life? :icon_giggle: I hope you're feeling better now Lisa, feeling yucky is no fun!

Ideas? I don't know, I kinda like the randomness, never knowing what you're going to read about each night. It's like the night version of Blondie's morning posts (that I'm never around early enough to catch anymore! lol) And my day was pretty good, I got a sweet surprise in the mail today that I'll post tomorrow when my camera battery is charged. Went to take a picture and the darn thing is as dead as a doornail! Turns out The Giant was filming videos of the cats wrestling lol Men!

Tomorrow is a busy day, grocery day! As much as I enjoy shopping, I do NOT love grocery shopping! There's always at least one set of ladies who feel the need to block off an entire aisle while they talk about doctor's appointments, babies, deaths and divorces. And it's always the aisle you need to pick up the most stuff in! And of course, they're so deep in their conversation that they don't hear you say "Excuse Me" the first ten times so then when you start to yell they look at you like YOU were the one who did something wrong. *sigh* Maybe I'll send The Giant in with a list... lol

Granny Judy
October 12th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I , too, like the randomness.. So I don't have any suggestions for this Night Owl Meeting.. just as long as I can drop in and catch up with everyone and see what the DD is ..

Got my laundry done, vacuumed up enough hair for another couple of cats or a small dog, then spent some time at the sewing machine. Took a little snooze and enjoyed a walk about the yard with the nice weather we had today.. it was so nice getting some sun on my face. Spose to rain early morning and turn a bit cooler. Gotta get the grub run done then I can get back to my sewing. Boring, beautiful life here... Hope you are feeling better Lisa.

Lisapc
October 12th, 2013, 02:22 AM
The Daily Deal isn't working for me and at least one other member so I PM'd Al. I can't get to the daily/weekly specials page either. Poo!

bubba
October 12th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Not working on the west coast either!! Hope you feel better.

Gayle8675309
October 12th, 2013, 02:23 AM
I'm new to checking this night owl thread, so I'm not sure what topics you usually talk about. We could talk about patterns that we want to try or techniques we want to learn. We could talk about how we got into quilting...who taught us and when. We could talk about why we quilt, what we get out of it. Hmmmm....what personal things we are working on, sort of like what we're trying to improve in ourselves. What books we are reading or tv shows that we like.

I had a pretty good day. Finished my needle turn applique block that I've been learning on. I'm not happy with my final results, but I know there is a learning curve in doing needle turn applique. I'm going to work on my Double Slice Layer Cake quilt tomorrow.

Musical_Starling
October 12th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Not working over here on my little rock either! I just get a blank page :(

Jean Sewing Machine
October 12th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Ok no DD for me either! Visiting the Pac NW This week. Today went thrift stre shopping, hit two quilt shops, saw a great museum exhibit on Sherlock Holmes, ate a great meal at one of Portland's mant great restaurants, and had ice cream from a wonderful creamery. It was a very
full day!

Lisapc
October 12th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Al just PM'd me and he is on it!

I had a meeting at my sons school yesterday and it went great. My little guy got a perfect 100 on his first 1/2 semester math test and they love how empathetic he is and they couldn't stop gushing about him. First meeting ever that I feel like they finally see him for the kid he is. Today I got his progress report and the highest they are allowed to grade this early in the year is a 2. The principal actually attached a letter to the report explaining that. Anyway Peter's report is 2's all the way across the board. So today I am a super proud Mama. My Lil' handsome man is doing well.

Point was I think I am fighting a cold, I always end up with something when I am in his school, I think it is a germ factory. I am feeling way better than when I fell asleep. That is my goal for the next few days, sleep and relax with my Peter's. Monday is Columbus day and I plan on doing something special with my Lil' Peter and Miss Kora so I must be better by then.

Jen7
DD is working now (at least on my iPad)....oink-a-doodle moo jelly roll, cute.
I don't post on the night owl page often enough, but try and see what everybody is up to almost every nite.
Randomness has its' own appeal, so much of life is so structured.

bubba
Today is kind of a hohum day for me. I'm still trying to get better and yesterday, I worked days and then after getting off at 3pm, had to be back at 11pm for graveyard! I HATE THAT SHIFT!!!! Anyway, staggered home at 7am and went straight to bed, did not pass go and did not collect $200. Woke up at 1pm (grrrrrrrrrrr!!) and my husband took me to lunch and running banking errands and blood pressure check. When we got home, I worked on my Thimbleberries. Have four of the nine rows of blocks sewn together, so hopefully by next months meeting, I will have the borders on.

At class tonight, the owner wanted to teach us something new........we did yoyo's. Still trying to decide if I am a fan or not. I can see how they would be cute on quilts as an accent, so I'll wait and see.

The DD is up, but does not strike my fancy, so guess I am safe to slide back into bed!

turena65
October 12th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Hello my Hootie friends....

Cute DD, but not something I can't live without. I like the randomness of the night owl thread, whoever happens to be up can chat about their day or answer whatever thought-provoking question that happens to be posted.

Busy couple of days for me, getting ready for the Christmas Super Saturday at my church in the morning... just a fun day of crafts, Christmas present ideas, demonstrations, etc. for the women and their daughters... lots of planning a preparation went into it. I still have to get up early and make my Potato rolls, everyone expects me to bring them, and some homemade chicken noodle soup I'm just bringing in a crockpot to share with everyone else who are bringing other yummies for lunch.

I haven't quilted much in the last week, but I did just receive my order from fabric.com to make my grandson his Christmas present. He has a Spiderman room and his momma wanted me to make him a Spiderman quilt for his new bed... just perfect for a 4 year old!

Highlight of my week? Meeting Jean Sewing Machine at the MQX show in Portland.... so fun to meet a forum friend... I loved it! :)

Have a great night everyone, I hope you all can get some much-needed rest tonight!

Turena

Hulamoon
October 12th, 2013, 02:59 AM
I had a hohum day too. Just some food shopping and kitty food. I was going to sit down and do a marathon of the walking dead because I didn't see the first two seasons. My computer keep shutting down! Like four times!. Then it wanted to do a repair. I got back to Netflix and it wanted me to install a new program!

So after two hours of that mess I can catch up. I love computers but they do the most random things when you want them most.

Lindagie
October 12th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Cute daily deal, but I have waaaay too much fabric to use right now so no dice on that. Today was kind of slow; woke up late; didn't have to babysit so we went to Wally World, baked some chocolate caramel nut bars, ate a pizza and just watched my Cardinals beat LA, so NOW I can go to bed. Good Night all.
Oh, I like the randomness as well for Night Owl topics; no structure!

Sew Perfect
October 12th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I like the random parts and love the titles. I like the idea of talking about patterns and what we worked on, if anything, during the day or evening.

My day was okay. Sort of a blur for me, but I managed to get out of the house and run an errand. Tonight is the first time I've done any sewing this week, so I feel like I am accomplishing a lot. I am working a project for my Christmas swap buddy. It's nice that we finally know who our buddies are so we can make something in their favorite colors, which is what I am doing right now. So far, so good.

Lisa, I hope you are feeling better.

Edited to say: P.S. I just remembered that on my errand, I pulled into the Sonic. I sat there for 10 minutes without ordering, then left and went home. Isn't that weird?

ksap
October 12th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Here it is 12:45AM and once again, I can't sleep. Ugh! This is so frustrating and doesn't make any sense. I am so jealous of people who have a normal sleep pattern. Hopefully someday...I can only dream about it, then again, I can't even dream about it because I can't sleep. That was just a little sleep deprivation humor.

My DH has been taking Fridays off, trying to use up those vacation days that he can't carry over into the new year. So we ran errands together which was nice. I have been having sewing machine drama since March (long story) so DH took the machine back to the local big box store that will remain nameless. I think the saleswoman sees dollar signs every time DH shows up. This is the third time he has gone and each time he has ended up buying me a more expensive machine. So now I have the new Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q. YIKES! I am feeling really guilty because it was way too much money. Supposedly the saleswoman gave him a great deal but then again, that's what she always says. I wonder if I should return it but I guess I will sleep on it, if I ever can fall asleep.

I am not sure what kind of questions are usually asked either. What pops in my head are all of the "favorite" questions. Like what's your favorite holiday? Favorite thing to make in the fall? Favorite quote? Not very exciting but that's all I can think of right now.

I found out today that the thing that was just removed from my nose is indeed basal cell carcinoma so I will have Moh's surgery to make sure it is gone. I can't complain though as so many people deal with much worse. I am not looking forward to sporting a big old band aid on the tip of my nose.

The interesting thing is that the whole time I have been typing this, an owl has been whoo-ing away in the backyard. I feel like it has been a message from all of the M*Night Owls. :icon_bigsmile:

Terri
October 12th, 2013, 03:50 AM
I don't always participate/post to the Night Owl thread, but I do read every one. I, like several others, love the randomness of the topics and the titles of the thread each night.

As for my day....I am recovering from some "minor" sinus surgery done Thursday. Not as bad as it could have been, but the I don't like the pain. :( Have to rest & take it easy through the weekend and my ENT says I can (in his words) "let 'er rip" on Monday. We'll see, I will be happy if I can get to work and get my minimum done for the day & come back home. But who knows, I may feel like Super Woman by Monday.....I can hope, right??

Andrea F
October 12th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

is is already 9 am here in my little spot of the world. Lisa, I hope you are feeling better by now. Karen, they will sure get it all out.

I like the randomness of this thread too. I like Gayles ideas about what to talk about. We can talk about how we met our hubbys or what hobbies we have besides of quilting, what our favourite places are, perhaps in what kind of area we live. I think I might need some more coffee for better ideas...

I sort of had a rough week and I am glad that it is the weekend now. On Monday would have been my mothers birthday (66) and on Tuesday, 20 years ago, she died. Usually I can deal pretty well with it but this year it was kind of hard. Don´t know why. I am now a few months older than she was when she died, it´s a little bit scary somehow.

Well, on Thursday my baby #1 turned 23, so we had a nice event to celebrate this week too. I worked yesterday and when I came home at 5 pm pretty early I almost went directly into my sewing room. I worked on a quilt for the last two weeks every free minute because I needed to have it done and washed and in the dryer by yesterday. I still had to put the binding on and to wash it. In about an hour we are going to visit some friends and they will receive the quilt as a gift because they moved in a new place in a new town. I hate that most of my friends live a one hour drive away or more...

Sheena
October 12th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Sorry to hear you're not too good , Lisa, and yes, schools are germ factories. I give my two sons small bottles of germicidal hand cream to use before they eat their lunches. I used to teach and know that so many of the children do not wash their hands after the toilet and lots of the boys have taken to fiddling in their undies in public! Disgusting. I'm sure you feel better after that revelation!

This week I've been to two evening meetings at my sons' school. Alex is in year 10. Here in England that means he's 15 years old in this school year, and is in the first year of his GCSEs. Lawrence is in year 9 and that means he's 14 years old in this school year. They are both doing well, and Alex is doing exceptionally well. Alex is one of those children who get the gist of things before you've finished explaining it.

Sheena
October 12th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I enjoy reading the Night Owls, but for me it's 7 am when it's midnight at M*. By the time I get to my pc I've struggled through another night of sleeplessness.

Perhaps we could have a different subject for each day/night, maybe on a rota that can be bumped up. That way we'd have one topic, e.g.

What's the worst piece of clothing you've ever worn?

Have you ever rescued an animal?

What's you worst dating experience?

Post a picture of your favourite shoes.

Write or rewrite a story in just 50 words. You can include a picture if you wish. (That's the teacher coming out in me there!)

Why don't you sleep? What's keeping you awake?

When we're not sleeping we can compose our answers, rather than just lying there trying to get to sleep.

MayinJerset
October 12th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Hoot, Hoot, How is everyone tonight? Did get a good portion of sleep so far, about 4 hours and hope to get a few more hours later. Rainy, chilly and damp here, not my favorite kind of weather as I hate that sticky feeling.

Lisa, You rest up and feel better so you can do something special with the kids. Congrats to Lil Peter for such a good report.

I like the randomness of our chats at night although some nights my brain is still asleep while my body is awake and that makes for some random babbling on my part.

Today was a regular day, didn't accomplish all that I said I would but that's nothing new. DH and I went out to dinner at local diner and then a stop at Target. Didn't find the lampshades I wanted but did get a new iron, some $1 gift bags and some face scrub. At home later DH and DS#3 were watching baseball playoffs so I caught up with paper work before hitting the couch around midnight and then conking out for 4 hours.
Bright spot today = received my last order from M*, it took a little longer to arrive this time but I think everyone there was busy last week with the First Retreat.

Was planning to make macaroni and meatballs but DIL MJ invited us over for lasagna on Sunday so there's a change in our weekend menu here at home. It's about time she made lunch, she usually says "Let's meet somewhere" or I make the lunch. Now it is her, DS#2, their DD, DGD Catherine (she's bringing a dessert) and DS#3 who MJ assigned drinks. I've been assigned to bring the salad and think I'll make the chocolate éclair dessert that was recently posted in the Recipes section. Dessert sounds delish and I've been meaning to try it.

Been going through a big stack of old quilting mags in the hopes of getting rid of some. They are like cook books with only one recipe or quilt that I would be interested in making, Now that I know who my Secret Pal is I'm looking for a wall hanging that I can make her,

Sheena
October 12th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I like reading about everyone's day.

Today, we're off to my daughter's house. She lives in Manchester. We're going round the charity shops, then cooking together. She lives with her bf and his son. We'll be staying overnight and returning tomorrow afternoon. Then on Sunday, I'm off to my friend's house for tea. She lives in the next village, about a mile away.

Hulamoon
October 12th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I like topics, but yesterday I couldn't think of anything about luxury. I own a tv, computer, fridge, stove. And a fish tank. lol

I found out why my computer keep shutting off. It was getting too hot. I was curled in a blanket and the fan couldn't breathe.

I'm not to the point why no one likes Lorie yet. lol

bkthomas
October 12th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Take it easy Cyndi and Lisa!
I love the randomness of the subjects too and really enjoy this Night Owl thread.
My day was uneventful...nothing to brag about, nothing to complain about, so I guess that makes for a pretty good day!

Got my latest quilt all basted and ready to go, so we'll see how far I get on that tomorrow.
Still reading the 2nd book in the Elm Creek series....the club and the Batiks are a lot of fun!

bkthomas
October 12th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I like you! What are you talking about? I don't know of anyone who doesn't like you!

Hulamoon
October 12th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I'm watching my walking dead marathon and a few people said they don't like Lorie. lol

bkthomas
October 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM
I'm watching my walking dead marathon and a few people said they don't like Lorie. lol

LOL....I have never seen that.....

cyndiofthevortex
October 12th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Hi Night Owls! I've missed you guys in the early morning lately because I am so busy, busy in a very happy way, that I am sleeping at night from exhaustion. I'm pleased to report that yesterday was one of the best days of the whole year so far. DH and I spent the day setting up for my guild's annual quilt show. A bunch of us turned an empty gym into a place of beauty, filled to the brim with lovelies. I even have three quilts in the show!

After set-up we went out to Chili's and DH and I split a meal - Crispy Chicken Strips - my favorite along with a chocolate lava cake! Yum!

I will post pictures this week to show you what a talented group of women are in this guild. Their work is amazing. DH and I will be at the show all day today and tomorrow working in various ways. They've even roped him into being a white-glover!

Lisa, I do hope you are feeling better. It is just plain rotten to be sick.

Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday! I hope today is just as good as yesterday for me. Wouldn't that be nice?