PDA

View Full Version : La Femme Night Owl

Lisapc
October 11th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I am not good at the movie title thing. I am missing Cyndi and I hope you don't mind that I am covering for her over the next couple of nights. Anyway, here we go:

When I was a little girl we weren't spoiled. We never had assigned chores but on Saturday during the school year we worked right along side my mother cleaning the house and on Sunday if it wasn't raining we were outside working with him. We never wanted for anything but knew that presents were for Birthday's and Holidays. There was 9 of us and I totally respect how well a job they did making sure we always had what we needed. Even with that I remember pay day. For many years that payday was a day full of nervousness for my mother. She never felt she made enough and poor Dad would walk in and say to her, "Hi, Patty, how was your day?" And her reply was always the same, "did you get your check?" I took that as meaning we weren't eating if he didn't. He always did so it took years before I realized that my mother has a fear of no money. She still does. She had a drawer in her dresser that I was never to touch without her in the room. It was filled with silk scarves. They were so pretty and I loved them. So much so that I often would get caught in that drawer by her. She would just smile at me or tell me to get out of her room! Those scarves represented money, excess, riches and luxury to me. As an adult luxury to me is very different. I look at working towards my hubby's early retirement with no real money worries when he does retire as a luxury. So tonight's question is:

When you were a child what represented luxury to you? As an adult what represents luxury to you and do you have it?

kensington
October 11th, 2013, 12:59 AM
A car. We did not have one and we walked everywhere or rode the city bus. We used to walk to the laundry mat and while the laundry was in the dryer we would go across the street and buy groceries. After we went back and folded all the laundry, mom would get a cab to carry us home in. I thought that was the best thing.

There is not anything I want for... I wish my mom was here to share it with me. SHE would be the best thing I could ask for now. I would love to sit on the porch and drink Ice tea with her like we did in the summer.

Kgrammiecaz
October 11th, 2013, 01:09 AM
When I was young (the oldest of 6) a luxury would be going to a drive in movie or going out to eat in a restuarant. Today I am so grateful for all I have. A luxury today for me would be getting a cleaning lady (not gonna happen) and retiring a year or two early - I am woking on it. These days with a tight budget a luxury is taking a night and going out to our very favorite place to eat - Fuji Sushi. We try to every several weeks.

Cant wait to hear others

Meli
October 11th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I was raised by my mother, following my father's death. We were on a very limited income. Luxury to me was $20 in my pocket and a snickers bar. Yeah, we were that poor. We never wanted for anything we needed, but definitely didn't have everything we wanted. As an adult, my tastes are still pretty mild. A luxury is a second car, or a tablet, or stainless steel appliances.

ksap
October 11th, 2013, 01:29 AM
I am the oldest of 6 and money was always an issue when I was growing up. I guess I should clarify that and point out that it was "lack of money" that was the true issue.

So when it came time for me to get my first bike, my parents did the best they could and bought a hand me down bike from my friend's grandmother. I hated that bike, it was a black bike that was rusted and had a dented fender. The gears didn't work properly and it was way too big for me. I think my parents thought that they would save money by getting me the bigger bike so they skipped the size that most second graders would ride. The only problem was that I could barely ride the thing without tipping over. I was mortified even being seen on that bike and to me it was a giant source of embarrassment. That bike had such an effect on me, that I can remember as a kid, I would think that when I died the first thing I am going to ask God for was a new bike. There I would be, happily pedaling my way down the streets of heaven. So I would have to say that as a child, my idea of luxury would have been a new bike.

As an adult, I don't have any desire for anything truly luxurious, at least in a material way. I now realize that true "luxury" is having all 5 of my kids home at the same time. Now that they are older, that does not happen often enough for me.

Although hearing about all of these different types of sewing machines here on the forum may expand my definition of luxury. It may soon mean having multiple sewing machines as I am already thinking that I may need two!! :icon_bigsmile:

MayinJerset
October 11th, 2013, 01:42 AM
We always had a car, or I should say my father had a car but as city kids we walked everywhere as we didn't have bikes. Only time we took the bus was when we went to the pool which was about 55 blocks away. As a child I think I only took the subway once, got on the wrong side of the station and went the wrong way for several stops. Luxury for me as a kid would have been to have ice cream whenever I felt like it - we didn't have freezers in those days and ice cream was a once in awhile treat. We didn't have snacks like kids have today, if we were hungry we made ourselves a slice of bread and butter. My brother Richie used to dream about a triple scoop cone but I dreamed of a banana split and settled for a single scoop cone once in awhile. Sam who owned the ice cream parlor liked me so he would add a spoon fill of whip cream on top. As kids we did a lot of dreaming and ate very little ice cream.

(Now that I think of it my 2nd luxury as a kid would have been to sleep in a bed by myself. Until I got married I slept with my sister Louise in a 3/4 size bed and she kicked a lot.)

As adults some people might like fancy cars, trips, homes, jewelry and clothes but not for me. My luxury was having wheelchair service at the airport during our last trip. We arrived at our destination ready to enjoy ourselves instead of being tired from toting our bags throughout the airport and then to the car rental building. Not easy to do with a cane in one hand and pulling a suitcase in the other. Service is free but we tipped the attendants. Best money I ever spent on a trip as I wasn't too tired to check out the local quilt shops.

bec
October 11th, 2013, 01:45 AM
As a child we did not have much, but we never went hungry. A luxury for us is when we bought a mobile home to put on a small piece of land that my grandparents (mom's side) gave us. The mobile home was 10x55 feet and I lived there with my mom, dad, and sister from about 10 years old until I moved away at 20 years old. I know we must have been tripping all over each other, but I really didn't notice.

Today, I have been blessed with everything that I need and more. I'm with ksap...my idea of luxury is having my two children home at the same time. They live in California and B.C. Canada, so I that only happens at Christmas. My son comes home once in the summer as well and I enjoy every second of his visit.

I think as we grow older, we realize that material stuff just doesn't matter much as they used to... Although, I enjoy the heck out of my sewing machines and quilting supplies! :)

Musical_Starling
October 11th, 2013, 02:03 AM
This is going to sound totally ridiculous, but luxury to me as a kid was Vachon cookies(cakes). Much like Hostess for those of you in the US. My Mom owned a bakery for a short period of time, but she always baked herself, with or without the bakery. So we often had pies, or cakes, or cookies of some sort in the house, but when we had a box of Vachon cookies we felt like we had a million bucks! My parents weren't poor, but there wasn't really any extra to spread around. The one thing I always hated about those beloved cookies was that in a family of five a box never lasted long! lol

Now that I'm an adult and have my own house and "mini" family, luxury is just having a little extra to buy whatever makes us happy. Movies, CDs, fabric, whatever suits our fancy :) And yes, I still get excited over Vachon cookies and still don't have them very often simply because I have enough weight to lose as it is! lol

pcbatiks
October 11th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Great question Lisa.......

I didn't realize this when I was a kid........but my mom being able to stay home with me & my brother would be a luxury that we were blessed enough to have.

As an adult a luxury to me is chance to go somewhere like the Houston Quilt Show last year as a birthday gift from my husband. I very much appreciate the chance to occasionally splurge and do something like that, or a vacation or splurge on something that my husband likes.

Like several others have said.......as you get older material things don't matter as much as having a happy, healthy family and having them close by is even better.

A luxury for me is my dishwasher which I have only had for a few years because I hate washing dishes. :D

turena65
October 11th, 2013, 02:08 AM
When I was young, we were very poor. We almost never went "out" for dinner, fast or convenient food was unheard of. But we always had food on the table. We may not have liked what we had, but we had it because it was cheap and my mother knew how to make something out of nothing. Once in a blue moon, my dad would get paid and we would go out for pizza. We thought we were really something because we could finally go out for dinner. We always wore clothes from the cheapest stores or thrift stores. I thought I was a millionaire when I got a job for a few years picking strawberries every summer and I was able to buy my own school clothes and wear what all the other kids were wearing to school. That was luxury to me then.

Now? Like several others have said, having my family around me, especially at the same time. Which has only happened once in the last 5 years, at my daughter's wedding last summer. It was pure Heaven. :)

shawnan
October 11th, 2013, 02:51 AM
As a child I didn't go without anything. We were not rich, but my parents were very good stewards of their money. They were self-employed and I know it wasn't always easy, but their belief was to not let us kids know about things. It wasn't our business. There were four of us, and I was the only girl. I didn't have to share a bedroom or a bed, and never had to have hand-me-down clothes. I was very lucky and have thanked my parents many times.

As an adult, I have two things I consider a luxury, and you have to promise not to laugh. When my daughter was very young (under a year) her dad was an over the road truck driver. So my luxuries were a LONG hot bath, and warm food. Because I was alone, I would take her into the bathroom with some toys and close the door, and then take a fast bath before she got bored. (No shower in the house we lived in.) Warm food is a luxury because I would get up a dozen times it seems to get something she needed. This was before microwaves were common.

To this day, I consider the bath thing a luxury. I just love to go take a LONG HOT bath in the late afternoon. Different husband now, but he knows to just let me soak it out. LOL The warm thing is not such a big deal now with microwaves.

Renate
October 11th, 2013, 03:24 AM
As a child luxury to me were the toys my mother made for me. We really had less Money, because my father built up his Business as a plumber from nothing. My mother is a very talented do-it-yourself-woman and she made us all Cloth and all toys by herself. Once she made a 2-room-dolls-house for me. I remember, the walls of the dolls house had the same wallpaper than our livingroom. she really stored every leftover from everything and used it for something else. This doll house was the most beloved treasure I had in my childhood.
And there is another: my grandmother, mother of my mother, she had a Little farm and I spent a lot of Holidays there. In the morning Granny got up very early, lighted the Wood stove in the kitchen that we children had a warm kitchen when comming down from the sleeping room. From the kitchen window I could watch her working in the barnstable, awaiting that she will bring the first milk she got. From this milk, directly warm from milking the cow, Granny made us hot chocolate milk. This Memory, sitting at the window of the fire heated kitchen, drinking hot chocolate, Feeling so well protected from my grandmother is the most comfortable Feeling of my childhood.

The luxury of today for me is: playing a round of golf. Outside, in a nice area, with my Sweetheart Markus, I am so thankful that I have the possibility for this experience. These are the moments of greatest inner peace. And no material Thing can make me so satisfied.

bakermom
October 11th, 2013, 03:56 AM
I grew up in a large farmhouse with only a coal furnace for heat. The pipes froze fairly often in the winter and it wasn't unusual to have snow on the inside window sill in the winter. we did have indoor plumbing, one bathroom at the back of the house with NO heat. You had to be pretty desperate to "go" to make that trek at night-nightlights were unheard of. Eventually my folks were able to build a modern house with a gas furnace and 2 bathrooms. So luxury as a child was being toasty warm and a bathroom close to the bedroom. As an adult,luxury for me is to treat myself to a long, quiet lunch with a good book to read.

Granny Judy
October 11th, 2013, 04:58 AM
I remember my first in door bathroom.. with a shower stall. It was heaven!! I was just 15 and very conscious about my appearance and body odor.

Today, I dote on the dish washer!! It was always my job to do the dishes (only girl and oldest)... It's truly my mark of being successful... No dishpan hands!!

Lisapc
October 11th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I love all of your answers. Thank you so much for sharing a bit of yourselves with everyone.

MayinJerset
October 11th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I remember my first in door bathroom.. with a shower stall. It was heaven!! I was just 15 and very conscious about my appearance and body odor.

Today, I dote on the dish washer!! It was always my job to do the dishes (only girl and oldest)... It's truly my mark of being successful... No dishpan hands!!

Judy, We always had indoor plumbing. We lived in a 3 story house built in the late 1890's that my grandfather owned and he put in modern bathrooms with showers on each floor for each tenant, kitchen also had a new double sink, gas range and fridge. Gone were the gas pipes in the walls for gas lights.

Today I also dote on my dishwasher for the same reason as you do. What surprises me is that many of my friends don't use their dishwashers often, they use paper plates or wash the dinner dishes. Why did they spend money on a dishwasher? They could have used the space for a cabinet as no matter how big a woman's kitchen is she always needs more cabinet or drawer space.

Precious1
October 11th, 2013, 11:34 AM
We were not poor but not rich either. I guess you could say my mother budgeted well. She was also very resourceful. I didn't lack for anything I needed but if it was a want, that's another story. I remember I wanted a pretty girls room. I saw a bed I liked. She saw how much it cost and figured it was cheaper to make the frame herself than purchase it, lol. Needless to say, it wasn't exactly like the one I saw, but I was pleased.

My luxuries now are many, I will admit I'm spoiled. My husband spoils me. I guess it's because I'm not the type of woman who cares to be at the mall shopping for clothing, I really hate it, give me some jeans and T-shirts. I'm happy and comfortable in my home. I have four beautiful children, two of which are serving and protecting the country I love, USA.

If its one thing I learned about my childhood, its to appreciate who and what you have. I guess I would say I'm just thankful and everyday I wake up, it's a luxury.

Andrea F
October 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM
When I was a kid, we lived from receiving money from the social welfare most of the time. My mom was an on and off single mom of two, married several times and divorced several times. My childhood was sort of "what doesnīt kill you makes you stronger" and I canīt really remember what would have been luxury for me then. The luxurious part of my life came when I got a place of my own although I havenīt had much money then.

Today I feel luxury is to be married for 23 years to the same hubby ;) , having the opportunity to go on vacation, spend quality time together and that my kids usually like me. And I have to say, having enough money to pay the bills is a good feeling too. And I really enjoy when I just can sit somewhere and read a good book.

TeresaJean
October 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Well I grew up in the country with 5 brothers and 5 sisters. When I was little my dad would load a bunch of us "little kids" into the station wagon and take us to the store for Tootsie Rolls - the Big 5 cent ones -

When I was raising my own 5 kids, I use to think luxury would be going to the grocery store and buying whatever I wanted. Now that it is just me and my honey at home, I think luxury is a giant sewing studio with my own longarm maching and that would require a complete remodel of the house.

I sure did enjoy reading everyone's stories!

HdWench
October 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM
what a great question Lisa!

My father was in the miltary so my mom had to budget well. I'm the middle child and only girl with 2 brothers (the 3rd came along when I was 14!). We sewed my clothing from about 6th grade on up, always had food on the table and everyone did all the chores from digging trenches for water lines, to hand washing the dishes. I loved when it was MY turn to clean our bathroom, because I would scrub it like no tomorrow and get all the "boy/man" icky out, then take a long hot Clean bath!

My grandparents owned a hatchery during the depression, so I think it helped teach my mother to be very frugal. I always feel lucky about how sheltered I was growing up. My grandmother tried to teach me every craft she knew, and our special treat was that every year, no matter where my father was stationed, mom and us kids went to my grandparents cottage in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and stayed all summer. That was my only "friends" long term, as I went to 13 different school before graduation. I longed for and was a bit jealous of those kids that didn't move all the time - but now appreciate that I've been to, and seen things around the World that some will never see.

I am not into material things - except Material!!! My husband and I were both work-a-holics and frugal, we rarely go out to eat because he loves to cook and is better than any restaurant! I love having ONE home to come home to -- and only went on the road because he likes it (he grew up staying in ONE place most of his childhood), so we are so far apart in what we wanted to do when we both retired LOL I think a great accomplishment was that we compromised and after being in NYC after 9/11 we sold our condo and left the working world and began our own business. The Luxury I dreamed of was to stay in one place which we did about 9 years ago when we built a home in our favorite state (Arizona for the winter weather). I am very thankful we both liked working hard and saved money. Recently we sold our shops at several festivals/faires and have cut back our travels from 8 months a year to 4 :-) so I'm getting to enjoy my 1 home stability and have a great place to store all my material things - like Material! :-) I still tend to sew alot of my clothing, along with much of our business clothing, but sneak in every minute I can to do more quilting things now, I feel like I won the lottery having a wonderful husband, home and of course, our adopted older or rescued kitties!! How I grew up to be a crazy cat Lady I do not know! Cats traveled better with my dad being military, and I do remember that we shipped 2 over to Germany when he was stationed there - they kept them in quarantiene for SO long! ooops guess my love of coffee is showing with all the blabbering on LOL thanks!

Jeannie acton
October 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM
My idea of a luxury as a child would have been strawberrys. My mum convinced us for years that cherry tomatoes were strawberrys! We dipped them in sugar and munched away at them. Lol. My idea of luxury of now is the life that I enjoy every day. My daughter calls me The Queen of Sheeba. I am a happy contented bunny.

cyndiofthevortex
October 11th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Although I never knew it, I grew up very poor. My mom would take old second-hand coats, take them apart and make them smaller for us kids. I was one of six and the last of three girls, so everything I had or wore was a hand-me-down. The only thing I ever got that I can remember that was mine-oh-mine was a purple and white Huffy bicycle with a banana seat and butterfly handlebars. Man could I make that thing fly! I don't know how my parents found the money for it or even why, but I felt like a princess when they gave it to me.

Luxury now? I still buy all of my clothes second hand and love them and am happy to wear the same ones for years and years. I love my old home and used cars. I guess the one thing I really love now compared to then is the ability to order take-out from restaurants! DH and I just went out tonight, split dinner and dessert and we both had plenty to eat, spent less than $20 and had a great time. I still live the way my parents raised me pretty much but sure do like food someone else has made!

Kelly F
October 11th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I love this! Such beautiful stories.

when I was a kid, my freedom and my bike were the bomb! I lived in a subdivision off the main road so all of us kids rode around all day on our bikes and checked in at lunch or dinners, kids can't do that anymore! I was not glued to the tv, the phone or the computer (or iPad). We used our imaginations and made forts and made up games.

As an adult, several marriages( I am on my 3rd) and 2 careers later.. I learned that a country boy who lives on a farm and lives within his means, lives off of his land, and wants for nothing would be my luxury! He has taught me so much about myself and where I want my future to be. I lived the rich lifestyle with an Ex, but way beyond my means and always hiding debt from friends to "appear" we were better than the Jones's'. What a fake life, and that was a fake husband (who had another life hidden from me. That is it's own Lifetime movie).

I cherish life now, I cherish my family and my babies (Rosie, my 13 year old pug, Mikey my 10 year old cat, Ralphie my 5 year old cat and my flock of chickens that I call, 'The Ladies'. )

I love my new quilting skills, and the ability to afford some fabric here and there. I always pay it forward. I make something for others and for myself, and always something for donations.

Kelly