PDA

View Full Version : It is Thursday so where is everyone?

MayinJerset
October 10th, 2013, 11:22 AM
After 10 am and no Thursday postings, guess everyone is very busy or still asleep.

Cold, damp and raining today, perfect weather to snuggle on the couch under a warm quilt and watch some old movies, bet that is what everyone is doing. No couch for me this morning as I have to finish bill paying and filling our some forms that need to be mailed today.

Making pot roast for dinner and and will keep an eye on it while I finish some sewing. I've tried slow cooking pot roast, easy to do, plenty of gravy but I hate that the meat is so tough and stringy. I'll do it the old fashioned way on the stove top - never fails but do wish I still has my old cast iron Dutch oven to make it in. Have to add plenty of carrots for DH, potatoes of course, some onion, throw in the few mushrooms and cherry tomatoes hanging out in the fridge and at the end some frozen peas.

Nothing much else going on, it is kind of cool in the house so I should take out some winter clothes but that means first I need to go through all the summer stuff and discard some so that will have to wait until another day. I have an old sweater I can wear in the meantime.

buckeyequilter
October 10th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Good morning May....

I'm at work....almost time for lunch. Trying to decide what I want for lunch.

Not much happening here. Tonight I'll be working on some quilts. I need to force myself to work on the binding on my sister's quilt....it's not going to bind itself.

It was cool in our house this morning too....and when I got out of the shower it was even colder :)

Well going to head out of here for an hour. Have a wonderful day!

bubba
October 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Work :(

I have one of those cast iron dutch ovens. Bought it at a swap meet over 35 years ago and it was about 50 years old at the time. Makes fantastic roasts!!! Might have to do that on my day off....pork I think!

MayinJerset
October 10th, 2013, 12:28 PM
JUST NOTICED BLONDIE DID BEGIN TODAY, DON'T KNOW HOW I MISSED IT. PROBABLY BECAUSE I HADN'T FINISHED MY FIRST CUP OF COFFEE.

I used my Dutch oven for many years but somehow it got rusty. I think the Dutch oven was put away in a cabinet by company that were helping me clean up after dinner and they didn't know the pot has to be super dry before being put away. I would wash it quickly and dry it and put it in the oven as the pilot light gave off enough heat to dry any moisture I missed. Did the same with my set of cast iron frying pans. One time I tried making tomato sauce in it but didn't like it as the sauce had an irony taste to it. No problem, being Italian I already had a pot just for tomato sauce.

bubba
October 10th, 2013, 12:51 PM
You can reseason it and it will be just like old!!

Sheena
October 10th, 2013, 01:47 PM
My internet was broken this morning, but it's fixed now. I've been out to chase the builders to get the work done on the house I let out. More excuses. I don't think I'd recommend them.

Then I cut back half my grape vine and some other plants that were growing too big in the yard. The yard seems huge now. The rest of the grapes need to ripen just a bit more before they can go in the demijon with the ones I picked last week.

I agree with Bubba - season it.

Lisapc
October 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I love my cast iron dutch oven and pans. I just recently re-seasoned them all. I find that I have to do it every fall after a humid summer even with the AC.