PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls in the City - Scraps Winner

cyndiofthevortex
October 9th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I am dead tired tonight and it's only Tuesday of a very busy week for me! Lisa will be doing the posting for a few days so that I can go to bed early and hopefully (cross your fingers) stay in bed for the night, sleeping or not.

The scrap pieces contest was lots of fun for me - you guys are so creative! I bet you've thought of lots more things to write about since last night. That's the way things always work!

I thought we had a winner with Bubba on the very first post with her guess of 37, but then in the next post Lisa beat her with the winning bid of 38! Congrats, Lisa! Your box of scraps will be heading your way soon. Enjoy!

I came up with tonight's topic because of my son Jacob. He is deathly afraid of spiders. His is a true phobia. He found one in a box in the recycling bin and just shuddered from head to toe and beat it out of the area in record time. He did not stop shaking for a few minutes. It was a sight to see.

My question to you is, what are you afraid of? What scares you? No fair saying dead bodies or anything like that, nothing that we are all afraid of. And to balance it out, what do you love? What makes you happy and peaceful?

For me, I am afraid of mid-winter power outages. I'm afraid we'll run out of food before we shovel our way out, or that we'll freeze to death since we have no secondary source of heat. The worst season is coming up for me soon. Too soon. One thing I like best in all the world is the feeling of diving under water in a lake in the heat of summer. I love how refreshing it is and it reminds me of the happiest days of my childhood.

Now it's your turn. Let's hear what you have to say!

Lisapc
October 9th, 2013, 12:32 AM
First I want to say thank you Cyndi! I promise to put those scraps to good use.

Second, I chose 38 because that is how old I was when I got married. I didn't even see Bubba's number because I thought I was the first one posting.

What am I afraid of: I am afraid of living without a dog. I was attacked in my home once at 2:30 in the morning. My daughter was camping with my parents so I was out with friends and when I came in I was grabbed. My first Alaskan Malamute Dallas flew through the air and saved me and went after the guy. Ever since I cannot be in my home or in any building without really being afraid. I train my dogs to stay with their people. Right now one is on the landing going upstairs because the Peter's are in bed and the other is right next to me. I can't live without a dog......

What makes me the happiest/what do I love:

I have 3 favorite things that always make me feel joy and peace.

1-Being in hubby's arms, smelling his neck and him giggling. In that moment I am just perfectly me if that makes sense.

2- Being with my kids. Brenna-22, watching her mother her kids and being a great big sister to my Lil' Guy and even gaining up on me with Big Peter. Lil' Peter being so excited when we are cooking or baking something or working on his train layout w/Dad. Lil' Miss Kora Mae when she is in the pool with her Papa and when she is in "our" sewing room and she is planning away. Lil' Miss Lillyana Marie, my mini me. Kora has my hands and my personality but that Lillyana is a dead ringer for me in every baby picture my parents dug out. She just looks at me and her whole world lights up. They give me wrinkles because all I do is smile when they are around. Except when they are bad evil devil spawn children that need to be punished.

3- Being in the woods with my Dogs. No phone, no talking, no leashes. Just breathing, hiking, seeing, feeling the air and real peace. No worries, no concerns, just the gifts of nature with my 2 overgrown pups to keep me safe.

ksap
October 9th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Cyndi, how your son feels about spiders is exactly how I feel about snakes. I am petrified of them. In fact, I can't even look at one, not even on TV. My DH loves snakes and watches nature shows all the time, if I walk into the room, I shield my eyes. One year we went to California on vacation, went to see Joshua Tree National Park while we were there. There were warning signs all over about snakes..."watch where you place your hands and feet and look before you take a seat" I was a nervous wreck the whole time we were there. I wouldn't let any of my 5 kids venture further than 2 ft away from me. It was NOT a relaxing trip to the park.

Here are three things that bring me peace:
~going to church
~being anyplace in the Adirondacks in Upstate New York
~visiting Benedictine College where some of my kids have gone...I swear my blood pressure lowers when my car turns into the campus entrance.

Lindagie
October 9th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Being under water would scare me to death, since I can't swim; don't even like to get my face wet in the shower. I am afraid of snakes; makes me sick for awhile when I even see one. I fear something happening to my loved ones.
Love my family and being around them; husband, kids and grandkids. I also love all the dogs we have ever had. When something or someone tics me off or I feel sad, the dog can always make me feel better. Dogs are so loyal, and fun to be around!

Hulamoon
October 9th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I'm afraid of the car breaking down or having a flat at night. The towns here are fairly far apart so I avoid driving at night. I don't own a cell phone. I had a flat taking the girls to school and we had to hitch hike. Luckily one of their friends mom picked us up. That was a looong morning.

Kgrammiecaz
October 9th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Good questions. I am afraid of drowning. Not dying. Do not know why. I like the pool and the florida west coach beaches. I am ok with where ai feel ai have dontrol of my place in the water. Nuts huh

What makes me happy is seeing my girls reach goals they make for themselves. My baby girl (25) just gor her new credentials today as an RN in a hospital emergency room and the middle one got the promotion she was wanting -a small step at the moment but a step in the right direction. And since they are all on their own (older one is married and lives in sarasota and is an LPN with a chef hubby how cool is that). I love being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. Loving quilting

Best thing ever that I love is going on vacation with my little family

Kgrammiecaz
October 9th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I'm afraid of the car breaking down or having a flat at night. The towns here are fairly far apart so I avoid driving at night. I don't own a cell phone. I had a flat taking the girls to school and we had to hitch hike. Luckily one of their friends mom picked us up. That was a looong morning.get a phone even a cheapie one to make emergency calls. You will feel so much safer and take that fear off your shoulders. Thats scarry these days

MayinJerset
October 9th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Congrats to you Lisa on winning the box of scraps and for being the Night Owl leader for a few nights while Cyndi catches up with her sleep.

Cyndi we have a gas fired fireplace that doesn't need electric power to operate so in the event of a power outage in the winter we have one room that will be warm. Found out after Hurricane Sandy that we could cook on our gas range by lighting the burners with a match, also our water heater kept making hot water so we could take showers.

Ever since I was a child I've been afraid of a tidal wave like to ones I saw in a movie that washed the whole tropical island away. I think Jon Hall survived because he tied himself to a big tree. As an adult I realized the fear came from being on the beach with the waves coming in and knocking me down, the waves seemed 100 feet tall and capable of washing me out to sea. Even though I have lived the past 53 years very close to The Shore I've never been a beach person. Needless to say I don't know how to swim.

I love so many things. First thing that comes to mind is celebrating good events and times with family and friends like we did on Saturday at my niece's wedding ceremony and later dinner reception. May

pcbatiks
October 9th, 2013, 01:49 AM
What is a fear.....I guess I would have to say that snakes give me "the willies"........they make my skin crawl. In the past they didn't creep me out as bad but I think I am worse about it now. Maybe it's because we have seen 6 or 7 in our yard this year......yuck!!!! Fortunately our dogs will stay back & bark if they see one.........but we know the bark when something is wrong!

What makes me happy............my husbands hugs, smiles & laugh........our happy, silly dogs or any other happy dogs........sitting outside in the spring or fall & reading a good book........even better sitting outside somewhere on vacation...enjoying the view with my husband!

Hulamoon
October 9th, 2013, 01:54 AM
get a phone even a cheapie one to make emergency calls. You will feel so much safer and take that fear off your shoulders. Thats scarry these days

I have one somewhere. I don't know if I have the cord to charge it though. I bought it at walmart when I was redoing my aunties house on the mainland so I could get a hold of contractors. Then one of my dd's bought me a nice Nokia and put me on her plan (sent it to me) then asked for it back when I came home to give it to her friend. Not the phone but the plan. What a sweet girl.After paying 10 yrs for hers.

toggpine
October 9th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Edges and heights. Especially together.
We went snowshoeing when we were first engaged. Part of the trail went across an avalanche slope. If you asked me to measure it, I'd swear it was less than 1/4" wide. It obviously was at last 12" and probably closer to 24". Eric offered to walk along side of me on the down-hill side of the slope. Every time he took a step, he sent little snowballs rolling down the slope. It freaked me out even more than making it across on my own. I white-knuckled it across the slope, but I made it very clear we wouldn't be doing that again.

I love making people feel good. I like to have them over and feed them a good meal. Treat them to a "something special" to make their day. Giving a complement to someone who isn't really expecting it. Things like that.

Back to the quilt sandwich!

turena65
October 9th, 2013, 02:01 AM
I have such a silly fear I'm almost embarrassed to say what it is.... when I was 10 years old I went to a haunted house with a boy I liked. While we were walking through the rooms I passed what seemed like a benign little platform. Unexpectedly, a shriveled old hand reached out from under it and grabbed onto my legs attempting to pull me under. I was so traumatized from that experience that to this day, I can't walk up to my bed and get in it. I have to jump, yes jump into my bed, lest a boogy man reach out from under it and grab my feet! (You should have seen me try to explain that to my new hubby when we were married...) :)

What do I love? My family, our sheltie Lucky, fresh homemade bread, cuddling with babies...:)

bakermom
October 9th, 2013, 02:44 AM
terrible fear of needles-hypodermic not sewing. also fear of water/drowning. My kids all swim like fish and i wish i could enjoy the water like they do. i can swim, but i don't like it. hate going out on a boat,cannot relax.

what do I love? time with family, driving down a tree-lined road in the Fall seeing the colors of the leaves. Love homemade bread, feeling of accomplishment when i finish a project

Renate
October 9th, 2013, 06:35 AM
First of all: congratulation Lisa, I am sure, you will make wonderful things out of the crabs.

Now to the questions:
1. I am afraid of the darkness when beeing alone in our big house.
2. What I love: waking up in the morning, openening my eyes and seeing the face of my dear Markus. Each morning my heart beats full of love for him
Than there are my children Matthias and Carolin. thinking on them I could smile all over in happiness to have them, they are really a Gods gift.
and than all the People around me, near and far, all the Encounters, spending time together, knowing this People are like a web that carries me through my live. No matter if I meet them personal or with the help of the Internet. Each Moment is precious.
And last but not least: I am thankful each single day that I can live in a safe Country, live in peace, having work, having enough to eat and to drink every day. This is not obvious and I am conscious on that every Minute in my life.

Mchelem
October 9th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I am afraid of tornadoes. I grew up in the country of east Texas and we had them frequently. They are the one thing that frightens me more than anything. Because of my fear, I don't drive or go anywhere in rain, and I don't sleep when it's raining. (Whereas most people love to sleep when it's raining). I usually spend my thunderstorms in the guest bathroom with the dogs.

I have a funny story regarding the bathroom and the dogs. I put them in there and put up a gate and used this bathroom as their area for a while. I went a few days before cleaning it ( nothing gross, just needed to be cleaned) and my husband joked that he was going to call me and tell me there was a tornado warning in our area, just to get me to clean the bathroom (because he knew I would clean it and would be sitting in there waiting for the warning to be over).

I don't like heights. And I am severely claustrophobic. I can't even sleep with the bedroom door closed. When I go to the drs. office, I have to crack the door when they leave the room. Because of the claustrophobia, I am afraid of suffocating or drowning. I honestly don't know how to swim because of this fear. I am also afraid of the dark. Like I have to have a nightlight afraid. My MIL told me I need to grow up and stop being a baby, but I have my reasons and she doesn't need to know what they are.

I will have to think about what I like. There's so much that its hard to pinpoint one or two special things.

Bailey65
October 9th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Congratulations Lisa!

My fears- well I have a couple.

1) Losing my kids or husband (we have lost so many famiy members)
2) Snakes- I love gardening until I see the first snake. Snakes in our area are not poisonous it's just the look and the slithering........even seeing one on TV just makes me shudder.

Things that give me Peace-

1) Mountains- the White Mountains and Green Mountains are the only ones I have seen but it gives me such a peaceful feeling

2) Smell of a Freshly bathed Baby

3) When my Grandsons (ages 3 & 18 mos) wrap their little arms around my neck and give me a great BIG hug

4) Seeing bolts of Fabric :D

dwil23
October 9th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Roaches. They scare the bejeebers out of me. Spiders, snakes, I don't want them around me, but I 'm not scared of them. I'm also afraid of those nasty cane toads - not for me, but because of what they can do to my four legged friends.

What things do I love? Lots of things. Dogs and cats, the mountains - especially this time of year. Fabric, to name a few!

Granny Judy
October 9th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I have few fears that paralyze me.. I just get startled when I see bees & wasps.. I am not allergic but I've been stung many times all in one encounter, so I was really sick. I will walk a country mile around any bees or wasps nests.

Let me have the quiet of the early evenings to just meditate and mull over the days events.. It sooths my soul and energizes me to face whatever may come along.

bubba
October 9th, 2013, 12:20 PM
SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, how I hate those things!!!!!!! Seeing real ones, seeing pictures, seeing them on TV, reading about them, hearing others talk about them.........

I love being able to see the mountain from my back porch on clear days. I'll miss it when we move to Hawaii.

Hawaii....what's not to love?

My husband........and everyone else, especially the grandkids!

Knowing I won't have to work here after April 2014!!!!!

bdmsmith
October 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Congratulations Lisa on winning! I can't wait to see what you create.

My biggest fear is for anything to happen to my 3 boys. Even though they are older--16, 20 and 23---they all still live at home and I get panic attacks sometimes worrying about them. I try not to listen to the news during the day otherwise I start worrying whether they're at school, work or driving home. News reports of school shootings, mall shootings, abductions, accidents and other tragedies affect me for weeks because I worry about them so much.

My 2nd biggest fear is probably of a tornado. This is probably due to living in northern Indiana and hearing multiple stories when I was young. Even though I wasn't around yet, my parents and others in our neighborhood experienced the Palm Sunday tornadoes in 1965 which was a large outbreak in multiple states and our area was hit badly. Also, the deadliest tornado in US history also affected Indiana in the early 1900's and this tornado also touched Illinois and Indiana killing over 700 people. Anytime there's a storm I worry and I am scared especially if my boys aren't home. When we built our house years ago I insisted we have a basement because growing up we only had a crawl space that was accessed by a closet so we spent a lot of time in there when I was a kid due to storms.

I'm at my happiest when everyone is at home and we're doing something together. I love holiday dinners or even everyday dinners when my husband and 3 boys are all at home together with me. Due to everyone's schedules it doesn't happen a whole lot anymore so I treasure all the time I can with them. It's also nice to spend one on one time with each of them---even just driving my youngest to work is great because we have the chance to talk and I love it. I'll be heartbroken when they start leaving home....I'm a weird one because I don't want my kids to leave home and they can move their families in with me and it wouldn't bother me one bit. My husband has joked and it is actually a dream of ours to be able to build a "Dallas" house as he calls it...meaning a large house like the movie Dallas where we all can live together. If I could ask for one thing it would be to be able to have a house like this so I could be around my boys until I'm very old.

Tanya D
October 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
What scares me: I can't swim and like someone else posted, I don't even like putting my face in the water while showering. So being in a situation where the water is deeper than I am tall scares me. I had to be pulled from a pool a few years ago when the waves turned on and I got caught in them while trying desperately to get to shallow water.

What makes me happy: My family brings me so much joy. Seeing my kids achieve their goals is such a heartwarming feeling. And making a quilt brings me peace.