PDA

View Full Version : For nurses out there....thyroid nodule question

grandma of 6
October 8th, 2013, 03:11 AM
This all started months ago with a hoarse, raspy voice and then developed into a cough mostly when I ate or took a deep breath. I would get into coughing spasms. I finally went to the dr. when it became nearly impossible to substitute. They started with a chest x ray....clear. Then they sent me for a thyroid ultrasound. I got a call from the nurse today saying that I have a nodule in the lower left thyroid. She mentioned they'd need to do a nuclear medicine study but then she also mentioned doing a needle biopsy. I'm confused on whether they are done at the same time or would the needle biopsy follow the results of the study? Are these 2 different tests?

Thanks for any information you can share.

Diane

Lisapc
October 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Here is some information on the test. They will likely do the biopsy after the scan.

Harvard Health Publications (http://www.health.harvard.edu/diagnostic-tests/thyroid-scan.htm)

Gayle8675309
October 8th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Hi. The needle biopsy and the scan are two different tests. Be sure to get this checked out. I had thyroid cancer. Try not to worry though, most thyroid cancers are very treatable. Good luck to you! :)

Granny Judy
October 8th, 2013, 12:56 PM
The Nuclear medicine test constitutes taking some pill or liquid then scanning the thyroid area for "hot " spots. The biopsy is done under local anesthetic. Both are not bad to experience. I've had a thyroid condition for years.. It only gets bad if left un treated thus you must get those tests done.

grandma of 6
October 8th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Gayle, what symptoms were you having that resulted in them finding thyroid cancer. I'm actually quite convinced this isn't cancer because my brother in law and father both are dealing with cancer, my mom is still recovering from a stroke and my husband was just laid off from his job and didn't get a severance package. I am a believer that God doesn't give us more than we can handle...which would happen if this was determined to be cancer. :-)

Hi. The needle biopsy and the scan are two different tests. Be sure to get this checked out. I had thyroid cancer. Try not to worry though, most thyroid cancers are very treatable. Good luck to you! :)

easyquilts
October 9th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Fortunately, thyroid cancer really is very treatable.... Especially if caught early. I have hypothyroidism, and take synth road daily. I had ex ray treatments as a child, because the thinking is that the treatments would benefit my hearing. It had no affect, of course,

However, many people who have had those X-ray treatments have drveloped thyroid cancer. I have a persistent cough, that may be caused by my BP med. But it has been many years since my last scan, so I think it us time for another one. I had breast cancer in the spring/summer of 2008., so I need to be careful.

Good luck to you.... Keep us informed,

JCY
October 10th, 2013, 12:59 AM
You should be able to google both of those tests & get plenty of info. on the web. By all means don't ignore your symptoms. Get to the bottom of the problem ASAP. The Nuc. Med. test is pretty standard for your type of situation, as is the needle biopsy. (I'm a retired RN.) JCY