PDA

View Full Version : My Big Fat Greek Night Owl

cyndiofthevortex
October 7th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Even though we've got a bit more of Sunday night to celebrate, tonight's post is Open Line Monday! What is on your mind tonight? It can be anything at all - we'd love to hear about it.

Today DH and I went to a quilt show and saw some wonderful quilts and looked through the wares at some awesome vendors. I found a fabric I just had to have. I try to avoid impulse buying of fabric but this was so unique I knew I'd regret it if I didn't buy some. I wish I could have gotten more than 3/4 yard, but that's all that I could afford.

So, this is what's on my mind tonight: what shall I make with this lovely little piece of giraffe fabric?

turena65
October 7th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Cindy... what great fabric that is! I wouldn't have a clue what to make with it... it would sure be cute as a pillow case for a grandchild, or even a cute baby quilt with a fun border around it....

What's on my mind? Well, I'm trying to bang out a chevron baby quilt for my daughter who only has one quilt for her soon to be baby boy, the one I made for her. She asked me to make her another quilt out of all flannel since she didn't receive any more at her shower. I thought okay, this shouldn't be hard at all... but, yikers! It's been such a PAIN. I have never made an all-flannel quilt before and I think my first mistake was cutting out 80 quarter square triangle squares, using Jenny's big square method. I have starched them when I pressed them open, but it doesn't seem to help much. Flannel is sooooo stretchy. Then I squared up each one to the smallest size, which ended up making them all 5 1/4 inches... THAT was time-consuming... but now are the perfect size for a baby chevron. The problem I am having now is when I am sewing those squares together, they are soooo stretchy, more starching when I press open, and I only have 2 rows completed. I'm so worried that this darn top is going to end up all wonky on me because even though it is great quality flannel and super soft, because those quarter-square triangle squares are cut on the bias, they just don't want to stay "straight".

Does anyone have any advice for me? If I don't end up with a wonky quilt, it's going to be so stinking cute... and for the back, I think I will applique baby's name on it. She would love that.

pcbatiks
October 7th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Hi Cyndi.........love the giraffe fabric! Whatever you decide to make...don't cut the giraffe's up too small!

What's on my mind tonight is........trying to decide on a couple more things for my SS box. I think I have it all figured out now...yeah! I finished something last night that started off as one project.......and morphed into something else! Let's just say I was determined that I was going to win that battle! :D

The other thing that is on my mind is.........how much fun it would be to attend the Fall Trip to MSQC.........we will have to check into that!

The last thing on my mind is how sleepy I am because I ate too much for supper..........good night....Night Owls. :)

Lisapc
October 7th, 2013, 12:35 AM
If it were mine and I had 3 grandsons I would make them each their own pillow in a different shape from the same fabrics with those Giraffes being the center of it all.

I have nothing big for open mike. I made pancakes for breakfast, picked a ton of tomatoes, made french bread, made tomatoes sauce and canned 8 big jars of it. We had stuffed manicotti w/sausage and French bread for dinner. Worked on Elm Creek stuff and I am still not done. I have a bunch of blocks sewed that need cutting and then pressing and more sewing. I will get to them tomorrow.

Right now I am freaking out because I realized I forgot to get a thin strap leotard for Kora. She needs it tomorrow afternoon and I have no idea where to get it without having to drive longer than I really should drive. I will make sure she has it before class. Why did I offer and insist that Peter and I would get this for her instead of letting her mother and father do it? Silly me!

The Peter's rotated their day between football, model train layouts and some Zombie video game thing. It was a man's man day.

The dogs spent their day napping and playing in the rain.

Quiet day here today which is fine by me.

Hulamoon
October 7th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Well first I was thinking will Cyndi ever use my title. lol And here it is :)

That fabric can't be cut up! It needs to be a pillow or sewing machine cover. Something to show the print.

On my mind, I just got back from the store to get the last of my swap box. And some printer paper. Don't you hate it when you can't even find one single sheet! Going to finish up in the morning so I can send out by tues. Then I can go ahh. :)

MayinJerset
October 7th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I'm an early Night Owl tonight because I've slept most of the day away, still tired after Saturday's wedding and staying overnight at a hotel afterwards. Have all motels/hotels switched to those high beds? Seems so at the ones I've been recently, had to stand on big seat cushion from the upholstered chair in our room to get into my bed last night. Think on my next trip I'll pack my little kitchen foldup step stool. Cyndi, Great fabric - I would just look at it until a good idea comes to mind.

What's on my mind for this almost Monday morning? Hmmm, Nothing earth shattering as I spent the day sleeping or dozing. Big thing on my mind is that I need to be up early as dishwasher serviceman will be here in the morning. When making the appointment last week I scheduled for an AM call thinking that meant between 9 and noon. While we were away the service left us a message to remind us and said the serviceman would be here between 7 and 8. What! Too late to change it so up early tomorrow it is.

Hope other Night Owls have more interesting things on their minds. May

toggpine
October 7th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I had a productive day. I managed some piecing this morning while the game was on.
THAT started out very well and ended in disappointment for the 'Hawks today. After the game we headed outside.
The rain has gone for the past few days so we have been scrambling to get a few outside chores taken care of. Today was poop removal day in the barn. It has been building up all summer and we'll clean it again in the spring. We bed all winter and the composting action helps keep them warm when the temps dip. My back and right shoulder are now complaining loudly about being misused. Standard pain relieving products are off the list until I speak with the doctor about why they are messing up my internal workings. So I made a cola with a little boost and have a heat pack on the back & shoulder. I ought to be asleep on the couch in less than 30 minutes!
We put down the shredded paper from all of our bills along with the shavings. A couple of the older girls were actually eating the paper! It looked like an AFLAC commercial!
I'm part way through one of my swap sister's projects and have another cut and ready for stitching. I can probably knock them both out tomorrow if I can move.
I am very happy to hear that M* is going to do the retreat again next year! My jar already has a start for the trip!

Good night quilty friends!
Hugs, Cathy

bkthomas
October 7th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Love the giraffe fabric! Would have no trouble figuring who it would go to around here! That would be my oldest DGD, Sierra and probably be a pillow case. Plus reminds me of one of my projects I need to do for her - I have some cute giraffe fabric and she helped pick it out!

Anyway, right now I am working on a quilt for my bed! Roxy got me the Posh Pumpkin mini charm pack and Lisapc sent me the Posh Pumpkin panel and I have gotten some solid orange, solid brown and a brown stripe to go with it all.

One thing I would like to mention and it goes back to the Night Owl thread asking what you would like to learn....
I would like to learn hand quilting the way it is supposed to be done and have been watching Youtube videos on this subject.
Will let you know how it goes!

ksap
October 7th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I worked on my homework for my Quilting 101 class in the morning. I now have the center of the quilt done and the borders are on. I am definitely going to learn how to post a picture by the time my quilt is done so I can share it with everyone. I can't wait to finish it, it is going to be a surprise for my mom.

What's on my mind tonight is worrying about my aging parents. I am taking my dad to the cardiologist again tomorrow. I am so frustrated with this Dr, Dad is in afib and has not been feeling well, yet the dr seems to be dragging this out without addressing the issue. I am hoping for some answers tomorrow. My parents moved out to Kansas 12 years ago, from NY, so I could take care of them when the time came. I sense the time is coming, I am noticing more and more changes in both Mom and Dad, makes me so sad. I am very thankful that they are here.

On a happier note, our Church has been under renovation since the beginning of June and today was our first day back in it. We have been having Mass in the school gym and I really missed the church. So grateful to be back and it looks beautiful!!!

ksap
October 7th, 2013, 03:03 AM
PS I love the giraffe fabric, it is very pretty and so unique.

MichelleKC
October 7th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Interesting fabric! Definitely agree that it needs to be used as one large piece or at least not cut up into small pieces.

What's on my mind? I'm so tired that I can't fall asleep! I had such an unproductive day, glad some of you did better. I run kids around to activities so much that I'm getting very frustrated about not having time to sew. So that's what I'm thinking of, how to fit in at least a little time to sew tomorrow. Thankful tennis is almost over (this week) for 2nd dd, but then wrestling starts for older ds. And same dd is wrestling manager so she'll still be gone almost as much. And I really want to go to M* retreat next year. I wonder if I can talk my mom into taking time off work to replace me for a few days??? My thoughts are very rambling, guess I'll lay down and try to sleep. Goodnight all!

And I meant interesting fabric in a good way, reminds me of art fabric!

Cathy F
October 7th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Love the fabric!

I don't have much to offer tonight, I'm plum tuckered out from yesterday. My sister in law, sister, niece, grand niece, grand daughter, grandson, daughter and son in law were all here. We had a good day visiting and everyone stayed for dinner. It's not often we can get everyone together in one spot due to where we all live. Today was spent being lazy and napping!

Sheena
October 7th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Ha Cathy! I need to do the poop removal too! I've weeded the empty veg patch ready for the detritus and have the new liner, shredded paper and fresh barley straw ready. I've only got two girls now so only clear the coop every few months as they spend most of the time poopying all over the garden. My lawn is a lovely lush green now.

Cyndi - I'd cut out large pentagons so you can still see the raffies and border them with a dark colour then lighter colours , cut into squares and sew them togethe r like this but with bigger centres. 57264

Sheena
October 7th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Cathy F - that sounds lovely. I wish I had a big family. I've got 3 grownup children, but no grandchildren, and 2 teenagers, and an ex-husband. When we all get together at Xmas the house is bursting at the seams and it's tiring but great fun.

It's 10.16 here so that's 3.16 at M*. I'm a night owl, but when I'm being a night owl, you're all being bright chickies!

Granny Judy
October 7th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Had my head all up into an applique piece. It's in the planning stage and I get way too involved. I had a headache and went to bed around 11 p.m. (my time). It's 4 now and I'm up for the day. Have some shopping to do and maybe I'll head back into the land of creativity to see if there is any left for me.

I'm thinking pillow case for that lovely Graff Fabric. My Grands are way too old for these little gifts, but they all want a Quilt. "IN BLACK" and lots of bright colors. A gothic theme seems to run rampant at the teen stage, doesn't it??

Hope everyone has a great day with lots of "smiles" along the way.