PDA

View Full Version : My side of the story... M* Retreat.

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
If you are not tired of hearing about the retreat...

So, I was a day late because I pulled my back, but I finally got up to the retreat, and I had left my camera at home, so I did not get to post pictures of anything like I promised, and when the girls came that night to my house, I just didn't think to take pictures, but here are a few that I did take and my story of the retreat. "The rest of the story"... if you will.

The center is wonderful, Bernice and Jean from M* were with us the whole time, so cute is "Little Jean" as we call her now, and Bernice so talented and giving, you just want to take them home with you. Everyone was already involved in projects by the second day when I arrived, so I thought I was probably bothering them to go around and chat them up. But, Aaay... I did anyway. I introduced myself to the group and said hello. All were so nice and friendly... Did God just design Quilters differently or what? There was not one woman there would not stop what they were doing in a moment to smile at you, to explain what they were doing, let you see them or watch them or help you if you needed it. I like that in people! 57203

Sandy Navas was there, she came in and straight away, she was preparing lunch she had brought to us. I was thinking maybe someone would want to go to McyD's with me... But, not neccessary, she laid out a nice lunch. >>
They all shopped in the morning when they first got up and the shop opened, the addicts! And usually everyday someone was willing to walk back over with me when I got there and went to shop. I drove an hour each morning to go and an hour at night to go home, which I will NEVER do again, I will stay!!
I finally got set up in a corner spot and started a project too... I saw that candy bag, (that looks like a piece of candy) Jean Sewing Machine had made and I had to make that. Jean had set up a table full of projects she has done, with the pattern and instructions there, that you could take back to your table and do if you want. It was an Inspiration table. I loved it. >>
There was another table and it was filled with the bags she had made each one of us, and the gifts each one of us had made to put in them. I made some silly mug rug kits, and I thought oh surely there would be tons of mug rugs... UM>.. NO, these ladies are well beyond that in crafts and gifts! BRILLIANT. I loved them all. There were key fobs, and Pin cushions, charms, FQ's (Who doesn't LOVE a FQ?) Kleenex holders, and even a rubber duck! Quack Quack! >>
I'm glad the ladies liked my silly mug rug kits! Whew! >>
Jenny gave us a Trunk show and that was just great. I love seeing her quilts, the ones she has made in the tutorials, up close and personal. I have to tell you, she and Ron are one hard act to follow! They should take that show on the road! Oh wait, they have! It's as smooth as butta when they do a show, Jenny speaks and as she talks she is moving with her hands putting this fabric up and moving this piece, then swiftly she takes them down and puts up what the completed block is, and says... "This is the quilt I made with this block" and Ron, unfurls the next completed quilt for you to see. What a team! >>
Al popped in and out, and where Al goes, the laptop goes, He was somewhere about all the time, he installs locks and works the register, and you know what is scary? This big tall bearded young man, can see a fabric and instantly tell you who the designer is and the name of the line. >>
It was a great retreat. My first quilt retreat. And much more fun than the Scrapbook retreats I have attended. I met the ladies and formed friendships I hope I keep the rest of my life. Bernice and Little Jean. and Jean S. Machine worked nonstop for the shop and us, helping to make these memories for us all. >>57214

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Except, I want to give a shout out to the girls...

Bernice: I love loved hearing about you and your precious sister, thank you so much for being there for us all the way.

Jean (Lil Jean) Too too cute, you are. Thanks for the dance! So glad to find another Oldies fan! AND thank you too for all that you did.

HDWench: Thanks for asking me to sit at the table by you, it was the best spot, for the best experience ever with the girls! And... for my Princess Slipper! Bonus!

Jean Sewing Machine: You made my year with your encouragment and support. What a great craftsman you are!
Your leadership kept us all going and focused! I know now why Klasien calls you "Teacher"... Such skills!

MaryLou: So glad to meet you and I am praying for your son in law. Hope all is well.

Carol: I miss you already! Kindred Spirit. Come back soon!

Robin: I was really happy to meet someone who has similar childhood memories with me! I'll always remember you laying on the stairs tapping your heals together to the Oldies, laying on your stomach.

Karen: You are patient and kind, you are brave too girlfriend, driving so far alone to be with us!
You amaze me! (In a good way!) Don't forget what my babydoll said about your truck! LOL.

Sandy: You are so easy to talk to, and to be around. I can't wait until we can meet up soon and do some really ornry things! Anytime darlin, anytime! We are going to get in T.R.O.U.B.L.E

Marilyn: You are a very talented woman. And I appreciate you, the way you just try to help others with projects, and the way you took my husband under your wing to teach him to use the quilt machine. So glad we both came and tore down the walls!! Peace out woman!!

Klasien: I think I will miss you most of all scarecrow... you are beautiful! I loved hearing about the Netherlands. It was just joy to spend time with you. I did finally learn to say your name correctly. Whew! Please come back soon!

A few more pics for your viewing pleasure...

Oh... and one last picture of me... 57219 :icon_heh: :lol::lol: :icon_hi:

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Dagnabbit... this program won't let me post my pics in my story... It must think I am spam! I worked so hard to insert them next to their part of the story too! Well, you will have to imagine it!

57221My mug rug kits and the beautiful Klasien
Lil Jean and Bernice 57222
Jeans inspiration table 57223
Trunk show 5722457225572265722757228

Sandy and Marilyn

Lisapc
October 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Looks like you all had a great time. I have to say that that candy bag is to die for! What a nice way to christen the Sleep~n~Sew with M* forum members.

Renate
October 6th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Kensington, i thank you so mich for this wonderful story. I smile all over my face. .... And you look so beautiful on YOUR picture, just like young mrs E.

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Speaking of Candy Lisapc.... That fudge was great! I may not have known what it was when I opened it... But, it was good and every single bite of it was eaten! I appreciate that treat you made for us and taking the time to ship it so we could all nibble!!

I told the story of it's arrival and everyone including Jenny got a kick out of it!

bec
October 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Sounds like a blast. I doubt that I'll ever get to go...but then the other night I was telling my husband about it and he said, "Well, don't think I'm going to let you go all that way...well, maybe. haha This would not have been a good year for me anyway. I've had sciatic nerve problems for about 9 weeks now. Had an MRI done yesterday. BUT maybe I'll get to go next year. (fingers crossed)

Lisapc
October 6th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Speaking of Candy Lisapc.... That fudge was great! I may not have known what it was when I opened it... But, it was good and every single bite of it was eaten! I appreciate that treat you made for us and taking the time to ship it so we could all nibble!!

We had one hot day last week but it after I shipped it. I ship this stuff all time but didn't consider the temperature of where it traveling through. I am really sorry it arrived like mud! I was very disappointed and embarrassed. Then you said you put powdered sugar on top and I couldn't find a hole big enough to crawl in and never be found again. I make 40 pounds of fudge between Thanksgiving and Easter and have constant request for it. I really am sorry it melted.

I kept a pound of that batch here and it disappeared with the little ones eating the last of it last night. It started out perfect. Thank you for not being upset about it.

Hulamoon
October 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I like the picture of you best. You sure are pretty :)

Loved your story!

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a blast. I doubt that I'll ever get to go...but then the other night I was telling my husband about it and he said, "Well, don't think I'm going to let you go all that way...well, maybe. haha This would not have been a good year for me anyway. I've had sciatic nerve problems for about 9 weeks now. Had an MRI done yesterday. BUT maybe I'll get to go next year. (fingers crossed)

Lets hope so... if everyone who wants to shows up... they will need to build another retreat center!!

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 07:58 PM
We had one hot day last week but it after I shipped it. I ship this stuff all time but didn't consider the temperature of where it traveling through. I am really sorry it arrived like mud! I was very disappointed and embarrassed. Then you said you put powdered sugar on top and I couldn't find a hole big enough to crawl in and never be found again. I make 40 pounds of fudge between Thanksgiving and Easter and have constant request for it. I really am sorry it melted.

I kept a pound of that batch here and it disappeared with the little ones eating the last of it last night. It started out perfect. Thank you for not being upset about it.

It looked like I would expect fudge shipped on a warm day to look, only I had forgotten it was coming. LOL. I was just tired and the mailer looked like the one from M*

Sharyn J
October 6th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Thank you so much for posting the retreat pics. Those of us not in attendance have been following the updates for days. Looks like you all had a great time and can now all boast that you were the 1st at MSQ retreat center. I wish I could have been there, but I have enjoyed the journey.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 6th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Gloria! Dah-ling! You look mah-ve-lous!

pcbatiks
October 6th, 2013, 08:27 PM
You have a lot of great pictures Gloria! The retreat center looks so pretty & it was fun to see the forum gang enjoying themselves!

BTW ..... In that last picture....you look just like a movie star!! :D

Thanks for posting your story & pictures! Hopefully more of us can make it next year!

ilive2craft2
October 6th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your side of the story! Love hearing all of the details and seeing the wonderful pictures. It sounds like a great time was had by all! I sure hope I can be there next year.

MayinJerset
October 6th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Oh, Kenningston thanks for a great rundown of the retreat and the great photos. Now I even more jealous of everyone that attended because they all have big smiles on their faces indicating such a happy retreat. I have a feeling next year there will be a waiting list for the rooms at the retreat and some may have to stay at nearby motels.

Noticed in some of the other photos that some gals came with their DH's. Did they all stay at the center? I couldn't manage driving or flying to the retreat by myself but with DH's help it would be doable. He often accompanies me to nearby retreats where we stay at a local motel and busies himself exploring the area and taking photos. He joins everyone for dinner and says he likes meeting all the quilters I often talk about. He had a great time a few years ago when I attended one of Alex Anderson's retreats in CA. I know he would love to journey across the country and end up at Hamilton. A girl can dream can't she?

alliek
October 6th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Thank you, thank you Kensington, you made it live for us who cannot be there. How nice to look forward to meeting people and have that expectation met a hundred fold.

auntiemern
October 6th, 2013, 10:12 PM
What Kensington didn't mention was that she spent most of the morning Fri. helping people coming in the Retreat Center for a look around. Then her and her handsome DH did that Saturday. They were both just so helpful with everyone. The DH, even helped me load up for the trip home. They are lucky to have each other, it truly is a match made in Heaven. When the gathering for next year actually opens up, you better be prepared to put down a deposit if you want to stay at the retreat.
Also, sorry to be the one to tell you this May, but during the retreat, men will not be allowed to stay there, but there are quite a few motels and hotels near by in Cameron. You could come and just pay a day usage fee.

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Oh, Kenningston thanks for a great rundown of the retreat and the great photos. Now I even more jealous of everyone that attended because they all have big smiles on their faces indicating such a happy retreat. I have a feeling next year there will be a waiting list for the rooms at the retreat and some may have to stay at nearby motels.

Noticed in some of the other photos that some gals came with their DH's. Did they all stay at the center? I couldn't manage driving or flying to the retreat by myself but with DH's help it would be doable. He often accompanies me to nearby retreats where we stay at a local motel and busies himself exploring the area and taking photos. He joins everyone for dinner and says he likes meeting all the quilters I often talk about. He had a great time a few years ago when I attended one of Alex Anderson's retreats in CA. I know he would love to journey across the country and end up at Hamilton. A girl can dream can't she?

Marilyn is right. Husband's won't be staying in the center with the women. It's a beautiful dorm kind of atmosphere, and bathrooms are shared. My husband went up with me to see the center on Saturday, to meet Jenny and Ron, and go to the festival in town. The truth is, he is a big flirt and very outgoing, he likes people too, he took to the ladies right away and his friendliness just poured out!

But, just about 11 miles away in Cameron are the hotels, and he is welcome to come and visit us and keep you company during the day. Just not sleeping over. I think the only other husband who was lurking around was HD's husband and he stayed at the camp with their mobile home. We just live an hour away and that is why I could drive each day and he could come tour the retreat center for the Open House.

K. McEuen
October 6th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I swear if we'd have had a couple more hours with Martin we would have had him quilting on that Tiara. He was checking everything out. Let us know if you end up with one at Christmas.

Lisa, the townspeople of Hamilton enjoyed your fudge as much as we did. There was about a half a pan left during the open house and I cut it into little chunks and they were so excited to get some homemade fudge.

bkthomas
October 6th, 2013, 11:09 PM
How fun to see all your pictures Kensy! Yes indeed Thank You!!!
Love your take on it all and everyone elses comments too!

turena65
October 7th, 2013, 12:16 AM
So fun! What a treat to see all of your wonderful pics and enjoy your story about your experience... :) So happy that you all were able to go and create wonderful memories... maybe someday everyone on the forum who wants to attend will have a chance to do so, but in the mean time, we will live vicariously through everyone else's experiences. Who knows, maybe I will be able to fly out there next year! Thank you again for sharing :)

MayinJerset
October 7th, 2013, 12:23 AM
"Also, sorry to be the one to tell you this May, but during the retreat, men will not be allowed to stay there, but there are quite a few motels and hotels near by in Cameron. You could come and just pay a day usage fee."

Thanks Marilyn and Kenningston for the advice. Staying at a motel would be fine for us. Next year's retreat is something I'm putting on the Must Do List!

MichelleKC
October 7th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Oh, it sounds so fun! Thanks for your description, I really really really want to go next year!

Iris Girl
October 7th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Looks like everyone had so much fun. Thanks for sharing pictures and your side with us.

Bubby
October 7th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks for this post, Kensington! I love your pictures and your commentary!! It 'almost' made me feel like I was there!! I hope my health situation is much improved next year so I can attend. I was very disappointed but I'm so glad everyone had a wonderful time and that friendships were forged.

BirdsInTheAir
October 9th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Kensington!
It was so nice meeting you & all the other forum ladies in your group at MSQ Retreat. I wrote down everyone's forum names but lost the paper... I remembered yours because it was on the cute little mug rug kit you gave me! Thank you so much!!

kensington
October 9th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Kensington!
It was so nice meeting you & all the other forum ladies in your group at MSQ Retreat. I wrote down everyone's forum names but lost the paper... I remembered yours because it was on the cute little mug rug kit you gave me! Thank you so much!!

Peggy? Is that you?

BirdsInTheAir
October 11th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Yes, I'm Peggy! I've made a little brag photo book of our pictures of the retreat, quilt shop, long arm shop & warehouse and I'm sharing them with my quilting buddies along with the mug rug kit. Everyone loves your kit!

I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the categories & threads in the forum. Can you give me any advice? - Thanks!

kensington
October 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Peggy, everyday when I come on, I look to the top of the page and hit the new posts link... then read down that page to see what everyone is talking about. I like to check out the Show and Tell forum to see what everyone is making.

Welcome to the forum. It was great meeting you, so glad you joined!

snippet
October 12th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Peggy? Is that you?Is this the Peggy who stayed the night then went to NASCAR? WooHoo! We have a new friend! Welcome to the group.

Klasien
October 12th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Ohh Gloria I miss you too!

I wish I had wrote down your address so we could start writing!
The mugrugs are in use, made them both and they match my sewingarea just perfect, that was so funny you had the same fabric as my memoboard.

(((Hugs))))

Lenie
October 12th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the lovely stories! Wish I could have joined you.

Sheena
October 12th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I wish I could have been there, but it's just a bit too far for me. And I'm under house arrest at the moment, well for a few years, until the DSs go to uni.

GuitarGramma
October 12th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts about this retreat. I hope you all make this an annual tradition! I know that I'll be there one of these years!

kensington
October 12th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Is this the Peggy who stayed the night then went to NASCAR? WooHoo! We have a new friend! Welcome to the group.

Yes, same Peggy.

BirdsInTheAir
October 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Is this the Peggy who stayed the night then went to NASCAR? WooHoo! We have a new friend! Welcome to the group.

Yes! The NASCAR race was fun. It was the other side of the MSQ/NASCAR weekend. Yesterday I finally had a chance to start playing with my new MSQ toys (fabric). I've started some Christmas place mats. I'm glad you found me!

AuntieVic
October 15th, 2013, 11:19 AM
What a wonderful story about your fun time. I was one of the visitors on Friday, and it looked like you all were having a super time there. Who knows, if I am lucky I will get to be there when some of you are also there to meet in person. I have enjoyed reading about the first retreaters, and seeing all the fun pictures you have posted.