PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Night Owls- Anyone here?

Lisapc
October 6th, 2013, 01:09 AM
It is me tonight instead of Cyndi, I hope you all don't mind. I did have a question and I think it might work. If not let me know. Constructively please?

This is my view when I look up from my laptop which is how I access the forum and the internet 99% of the time.

My eye hones in on this particular object, I know it is covered in cobwebs and dust and it is going to stay that way for another few days:

This cup is the only personal belonging besides a pair of glasses that I have that belonged to my grandmother. She did when I was 4 and I don't remember her but for one memory. I kept asking my Dad to bring me to see my Grammy and he did. I then realized I asked to see the wrong person. I wanted to see the wife of a friend of his who looked like a Grammy and in fact I really wanted to see her horse. I only remember seeing my Grammy that day because I do remember her bending down to whisper to me: " I don't have a horse but you made my day very special just because you came to my house". That's it.

This cup and saucer haunts me. It begs me to be a quilt. I want a hug from my Grammy who died too young at 54 and never got to do with me the things I get to do with my granddaughters. I want a quilt in those blues, white and those grays. This will be my quilt. My object of inspiration and frustration because I have not had "the" pattern come to me or seen "the" fabric that belongs with it.

So tonight the question is do you have an object of inspiration? If so what is it. What did you create from that object? Are you stuck in frustration like me?

I know that many of us see quilts everywhere, street signs, clothing flowers. I do readily admit that a tea cup and saucer is out there but it is my object of inspiration.

Nidan_07
October 6th, 2013, 01:27 AM
My Nanna did a lot of sewing, and I can remember being at her house a lot and always poking around in her sewing stuff. She had bits of lace, buttons, trims and all sorts of goodies that I used to love pulling out and playing with. She has been gone a long time.

I now have all of those bits and pieces in my sewing room, and still pull them out. I have even used some of them on quilts that I have made . If I am ever making something that needs some sort of embellishment then that is where my inspiration comes from. I can usually remember what piece of clothing or dolls dress a particular thing of hers was used on.

My DD now looks through them. Her favourite is the big button jar. She also does the same thing at my MIL's place now and brings bits and pieces home.

I can still picture vividly the sewing machine by the window, and the treasures in the drawers at Nanna and Poppy's place. Very Special memories.

Kelly F
October 6th, 2013, 01:40 AM
My inspirations are the beautiful quilts that were made on this farm by my husband's matriarchs. His great-great grand mother, great grandmother, grandmother and mother have all quilted here before me. I have seen some of their beautiful quilts and I know my husband dreams of me making one of those some day. They made a lot of crazy quilts with what scraps they had, being flour bag material, old dresses or ties.

Kelly

Musical_Starling
October 6th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I was lucky, when I was growing up I had FIVE nans! DH tells me I'm spoiled and doesn't quite comprehend how you can have more than two grandmothers, but I had five! It's also a little hard for him to understand as his mother's parents died when he was three.

But I had my Mom's Mom (who passed away two years ago and is dearly missed), my Dad's Mom (the only one left, and quite frankly I could have done without. Oops, did I say that out loud? lol), my Mom's Dad's Mom (so my Mom's grandmother), my Mom's Mom's oldest sister (but she raised my Nan, so we called her Nanny Ida instead of Aunt Ida) and a sweet lady who "adopted" us as grandchildren. No relation, but she lived next door to my Mom and Dad for a while and one day my oldest sister was out playing and slipped on an icy parking lot (she was an only child at the time). My "poppy" saw her and knew who she was so he brought her to his house and they gave her some cookies and juice and made sure to pay special attention to her non-existant boo-boo from falling down. And then they just insisted that they be "Nan and Poppy" so they were and stayed that way until they passed away.

And with FIVE nans you would think there would be a quilter amongst them. Nope. lol My Mom's mom used to sew but stopped before I came along. My Dad's mom sews bed sheets together and calls them quilts, but you couldn't pay me to stay in the same room with her long enough to show her how to piece fabrics together and make a "normal" quilt. Then again she never had the time of day for me either so I guess the feeling is mutual.

But Lisa, your cup looks very familiar! I think my Mom's mom may have had one just like it! She always had such pretty cups, most had flowers, some had gold rims, some had scalloped edges, they always looked like they should have been used by royalty. Then again, she was as close to royalty in my eyes as you could get so I suppose it makes sense :)

I don't really have an object of inspiration though. I do get a little inspiration from certain fabrics or certain patterns, but not from anything that isn't directly related to quilting. Now that I think about it, the bargello I'm making for my in-laws is inspired by the northern lights, does that count? lol

dwil23
October 6th, 2013, 02:11 AM
What a sweet story. I don't have any specific ideas right now, but the saucer looks like it is from the 50-60's, so thinking a pattern reminiscent of that era along with fabrics in the soft blues and greys would be nice. I haven't done a quilt yet with any type of inspiration like that. I do plan to do one - soon, I hope - out of the Vintage Modern fabric. That one really appealed to me because it reminded me of my Aunt Berniece's house. We used to always snicker about her red sofa and green chair in the living room that was painted aqua.

toggpine
October 6th, 2013, 02:16 AM
I like it.
I'll keep my eye out for any vintage linens that may have that pattern in them.
You could also create your own at a place like Spoonflower.

Inspiration comes from many places, and your cup and saucer are a perfect example!

Lisapc
October 6th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I don't know why I never did this before but I just now looked up the marks on the cup and saucer. It was made in the 30's. I love the Spoonflower idea.

I love all the responses and think that musical_starling is a very, very lucky woman!

ksap
October 6th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Lisa, thanks for sharing that very sweet story. I can tell that you are definitely going to come up with a great idea for your quilt which will honor your Grammy.

I think I am too much of a beginner to have a particular item inspire me. Whenever anyone has ever shown me a quilt, they have always spoke lovingly of the person who made the quilt. So at this point, I think that is my inspiration...I want to make quilts for others that they will treasure. They will know that all of the time and effort that went into the quilt represents the love I have for them.

Hopefully I will finish one of the three projects that I am working on soon. It will be nice when I can actually give my quilts to the people I am making them for.

bkthomas
October 6th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Lisa, what a sweet sweet story!
I love blue roses too! One of the first baby quilts I ever made was from a blue rose fabric I found and fell in love with!
I've posted it before, have you seen it?

MichelleKC
October 6th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I love hearing stories of others' inspiration. Great thread! I love looking at artwork, nature, anything that makes me think of beauty or something beautiful. I just want to add beauty to my tiny piece of the world.

cyndiofthevortex
October 6th, 2013, 03:37 AM
I just love the grandmother stories. I never knew mine, but when I met DH his lovely grandmother was alive and well. I grew to love her very much. Here's a short story from breakfast with Jonas, his mom and his grandmother. BTW, Jonas grew up in a very conservative Christian home!

Grandmother Nordstrom: "Well, Jonas. What time did you get in last night? What were you doing?"
Jonas: "Late. Kind of late. I was hanging out with Cyndi."
Grandmother Nordstrom: "Yes, it was late. I got up at two in the morning to use the potty and the car still wasn't in the garage."
Mother Zoller: "Jonas!"
Grandmother Nordstrom: "But, it's none of my nevermind."

I also have some tea cups from her that somehow have made it into DD Bethany's house. I'll have to take a look at them again! What a nice idea you have, Lisa.

Here is my inspiration and the quilt that came from it. We never had a home of our own until a few years ago and I had always wanted a garden but never had one. We turned an ugly paved walkway in front of our house into a garden and threw down some wildflower seeds, and what came up were these beautiful and delicate flowers we called "fairy flowers" I never knew what they were and though some of them came up again the next year they are now all gone and since I don't know what they were I can't replace them. I made a little wallhanging to remember them by. Though it is filled with mistakes it is precious to me.

Granny Judy
October 6th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Love reading the stories and reliving the memories of your Grandmothers, everyone. My Mother's Mother was always a beautiful seamstress.. (not so good a cook, but that is another story) And she had all these beautiful Quilts that she made thru the years. I remember seeing them on her bed (her room was always off limits, so we kids were sneaky and took peeks)

She never shared her quilting with me.. but she did teach me to crochet. When I started quilting, I came to the conclusion that I could make MY Quilts just like the ones I remember seeing on her bed!!. So far I've been able to replicate 3 reasonable facsimiles that I'm proud to claim "inspired by my Gram". I still have the Drunkards Path to conquer.

Colors inspire me!! and I hope to recreate that quilt with this inspiration:

MayinJerset
October 6th, 2013, 03:06 PM
This Night Owl slept Saturday night away with only one potty call and back to sleep mainly because I spent all day and night on Sat. attending my niece's wedding.

Sad to say I didn't have any grandmothers, they both pass away young but I did have a great grandfather that made mine and my siblings life better as our father was kind of a tyrant. Hope I'm an inspiration to my grandkids.

I did have a great grandfather. I remember helping him plant 2 hostas and 2 blue hydrangeas in our backyard. My grandfather passed just before I moved to Jersey and way before I began quilting but I think a quilt with various shades of the blues of the hydrangeas would make an interesting quilt in grandpa's memory. Good idea for a 2nd reason, next year's Hoe Down's Challenge is to use varying shades of blues in a quilt.

pcbatiks
October 6th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Lisa.....these are great stories! A few of my projects have come about because of a particular thing at the inspiration........those have been my favorites to work on. I like having the idea whirling around in my head while I decide how to best make it happen. My most recent inspiration was my Grandma's amaryllis for a quilt for my aunt. I really enjoyed working on that one & knew that it would be appreciated. Another inspiration project was the stained glass wall hanging for my mom..........I "borrowed" her design for an actual stain glass & made the wall hanging...I almost got in over my head with that one!

Like Lisa.........I have something that I would like to turn into a wall hanging. When I was a little girl visiting my grandma I would always watch TV sitting in my little rocking chair eating ice cream out of those little metal bowls......when I got a little older I loved making coke floats in the metal glasses. If I could have had anything that belonged to my grandma......it would have been those metal bowls & glasses. A few years before she passed away she told the grandkids if we wanted one.....we could take one of each. My bowl & glass sit on the shelf in our living room. :) One day I would like to do a memory quilt with that on it.

Lisa.......you should think about doing an applique of your grandmother's tea cup with those colors used in the rest of the quilt.......that would be so pretty! Get those little wheels scheming on that project! :)

yobrosew
October 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I would try first placing a grid over the picture and think about and visualize the image that way, with the background color the color of the wall and place a bit off center to the left and up.

Idea two is sqares of the picture

or ... Center the shelf and three cups then four corners or even just one a large sqaure featuring the special cup.

Not sure how to piece to get design....yet.

Saw a teacup painting years ago where the flower stem was the name of the artist's mom.

pcbatiks
October 6th, 2013, 03:25 PM
This Night Owl slept Saturday night away with only one potty call and back to sleep mainly because I spent all day and night on Sat. attending my niece's wedding.

Sad to say I didn't have any grandmothers, they both pass away young but I did have a great grandfather that made mine and my siblings life better as our father was kind of a tyrant. Hope I'm an inspiration to my grandkids.

I did have a great grandfather. I remember helping him plant 2 hostas and 2 blue hydrangeas in our backyard. My grandfather passed just before I moved to Jersey and way before I began quilting but I think a quilt with various shades of the blues of the hydrangeas would make an interesting quilt in grandpa's memory. Good idea for a 2nd reason, next year's Hoe Down's Challenge is to use varying shades of blues in a quilt.

May........I'm sure you are an inspiration to your grandkids! Your quilt idea sounds beautiful! You also reminded me of something. My grandma had huge blue/lavender hydrangeas growing on the side of her house. I was always fascinated by them.......those flowers are on my long list of wall hangings to make! Can't believe I forgot to mention that.

ilive2craft2
October 6th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I was also blessed with "extra" grandparents. I had both of my parents moms and then my dad's best friend was married to my mom's sister, so we called his parents grandma and grandpa as if he was another son - lots of extra aunts/uncles/cousins. We were also close to our neighbors and I called his mom's parents grandma and grandpa too.

My dad's mom was very crafty and sewed and crocheted. She taught me how to crochet granny squares. She sewed a bunch of my Barbie's clothes - including hats and boots! I still have most of them. Many are done in 70's polyester - think purple plaids. :)

My mom's mom was a very good cook - no one can make chicken and noodles that taste as good as those that she made.

I was blessed to have both of them in my life until I was grown.

So far, my inspiration for quilts has come from seeing fabric or patterns that I love. I love the idea of taking the colors from the tea cup and making a quilt.

Lisapc
October 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Lisa.....these are great stories! A few of my projects have come about because of a particular thing at the inspiration........those have been my favorites to work on. I like having the idea whirling around in my head while I decide how to best make it happen. My most recent inspiration was my Grandma's amaryllis for a quilt for my aunt. I really enjoyed working on that one & knew that it would be appreciated. Another inspiration project was the stained glass wall hanging for my mom..........I "borrowed" her design for an actual stain glass & made the wall hanging...I almost got in over my head with that one!

Like Lisa.........I have something that I would like to turn into a wall hanging. When I was a little girl visiting my grandma I would always watch TV sitting in my little rocking chair eating ice cream out of those little metal bowls......when I got a little older I loved making coke floats in the metal glasses. If I could have had anything that belonged to my grandma......it would have been those metal bowls & glasses. A few years before she passed away she told the grandkids if we wanted one.....we could take one of each. My bowl & glass sit on the shelf in our living room. :) One day I would like to do a memory quilt with that on it.

Lisa.......you should think about doing an applique of your grandmother's tea cup with those colors used in the rest of the quilt.......that would be so pretty! Get those little wheels scheming on that project! :)

While I was writing this I had your Amaryllis quilt in my mind and could not remember who made it. I am sorry, how could I have forgotten it was you. I love that quilt and the photo of your aunt holding it. What an instant treasure.

I am sure the right fabric and design will come to me. Right now I am thinking a simple rose applique, really big with smaller ones surrounding it and the border will still have to come to me. It will come when I am supposed to do it and maybe that will buy me time to gain more experience.

All of your posts have been great. Cyndi, that quilt really is amazing.

I say we all just run with whatever does inspire us and leave the fear of making a mistake behind. Some of the best things start out as a mistake!

pcbatiks
October 6th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Lisa.........you should write down the ideas that you have so far & add more ideas as they come to you. You are right.......the whole idea will come together the way it should and you will know when that happens........a great feeling! Your idea so far sounds great!

auntiemern
October 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM
You could just take a photo of the cup and saucer and print it onto one of those printable fabric sheets. You could then take the photo to the fabric store to pick fabrics.

bkthomas
October 6th, 2013, 11:42 PM

OK here it is Lisa!!!

Lisapc
October 6th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Kathy: That is really cute. Thank you for showing me. I had never seen it before.

bkthomas
October 6th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Kathy: That is really cute. Thank you for showing me. I had never seen it before.

Not a stitch in this one - completely tied - and older than my DD Melissa!
She was born in 1980 and I made this in the '70,s