PDA

View Full Version : MSQC Forum Meeting - My Take and a HUGE Thank You to the Doan's

K. McEuen
October 6th, 2013, 01:05 AM
We all joined this site because of the Missouri Star Quilt Company store. The Doan family has provided us with free quilting tutorials, great prices and a free forum community to call our own. We all know that, but the Doan's have given us so much more.

After meeting the majority of them this past week at the retreat center, I realize just how much they have given of themselves to us. Jenny came over to spend time each day, Sara, Natalie, Al and Ron were around as well. I'm not sure about the others, but I felt as if I was a part of their family. I think one of my favorite moments was on Thursday, when Jenny was getting ready to do her trunk show for us. We had ordered Casey's pizza for lunch. We were all done eating but hadn't put the food away, when Jenny and Ron arrived. Ron saw the pizza and said "Oh, can I have some?" Jenny had to wait to start the show until he was finished eating. If he wasn't comfortable with us, I doubt he would have even asked. Jenny and Ron are so cute together. Friday evening was a great time as well. The family showed up with salad, lasagna from an "old" family recipe and garlic bread. It was great sitting and eating with them and talking and laughing with them. To have them share old family stories was great. Learning new sayings from them (dropping the kids off at the pool) was enlightening, to say the least. It is so obvious after spending just a short amount of time with them, that they not only love each other, but truly like each other.

I'm not sure who was more excited, us at finally being at MSQC or the Doan's, that we all actually came. As busy as they were, there was always time for us, and that was pretty amazing. All the girls that work at the store are just as sweet and friendly as could be, almost like they were an extension of the Doan family. Some of Jenny's grandkids work in the store, and the kids are just as much fun as the rest of the family, even though I couldn't get Sara's daughter to shrink wrap her co-worker.

During the birthday bash and JC Penny day it was sort of an open house. Many Hamilton residents came into the retreat center to see what had been done to the old building. I talked to several, and one man in particular was telling me what used to be in the building and how he was glad to see all the work the Doan family was doing in the town and how it was improving things in Hamilton. It seemed like he felt the Doan family was doing more to revitalize Hamilton than anyone had done in a long time. He told me about some fires in town years ago and how the city just demolished the damaged buildings and how he was glad to see the Doan's renewing the old buildings and bringing in more business and jobs. The family has fans all over.

I would like to thank the Doan's for giving us MSQC, for being so giving with their time and for giving us this forum, but even more so, after meeting everyone this past week, for giving us each other. Meeting Jean, Klasien, Bernice, Marilyn, Carol, Mary Lou, Shirley, Sherri, Robin, Debbie, Gloria, Sandy, Susie, Little Jean, Jenny, Ron, Al, Natalie, Sara and the rest of the girls in the shop and the random employees that would wander through the center once in a while is something I won't soon forget and am looking forward to doing again, next year.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 6th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I just need to add a great big " AMEN " to what Karen said! It was a really fun week!

easyquilts
October 6th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Karen... Thank you for the heartfelt tribute to a truly good family (and I don't use that term lightly). I think it is nothing shirt of amazing how all of this has happened....

There is a video, showing the local news station praising the Doans family for what their business has done fir Hamiilton. There was also a write up in the local paper.... I feel very blessed and fortunate to be a very small part of the MSQC family.

bkthomas
October 6th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the extra insight Karen!

On Facebook, there was a picture posted of Al and Annie (Sarah's DD) and I had a little conversation with her about being shipped to me - it was really cute!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=608877737869&set=a.547594759449.2036121.89800015&type=1&og_perm_src=OPEN_GRAPH_SINGLE_STORY

Granny Judy
October 6th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Thank you for your insight of the week end. It is truly amazing when one is witness to such a miracle and success!! It's the American Dream that my folks all talked about. Hard workers all.

Hugs Karen and thank you!! Your participation helped make it all work too.. ya know!!

HandsOffItsMine
October 6th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Wonderful to read your take on the week of the retreat. :) Sad that I missed out on it but that's how the cookie crumbles some times. I'm making sure that seeds are doing their job so I can meet up with you all next year. Piggy bank will hold on to the funds of gas/hotel funds from this year and I'll be adding more pennies for fabric and sight seeing for next year!

I missed out on meeting Jenny in Atlanta too 'cause the folks were here, I'm not going to miss out next year! Her relationship with Ron sounds a lot like Don and I. We do a lot together, heck we used to be stuck in a car carpooling 3 plus hours a day when we both worked at Fluor Corp for 10 years. You have to "LIKE" each other to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 58 miles each way. lol

Was with you guys in spirit this last week...

Huggers, Ruby

shermur
October 6th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Wonderfully stated, Karen! It was so great to put faces with names and the exciting part meeting Jenny and her family! When Halona and I were walking from the retreat to the store, I spied Sara and waved a big hello shouting her name! Sara embraced me and was excited Halona and I came up for the event! The Doan family is true blue and has become quite the influence on embracing and keeping alive treasure that should never die.

aliaslaceygreen
October 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM
This sounds like something I TOTALLY regret not being able to do! Jenny Doan was here in VA the previous week and while a number of my quilting buddies got to attend, I had to work..... So glad you all had so much fun!

Iris Girl
October 6th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Nicely said Karen. It sounds like everyone had a great time. Maybe one day Jenny will be in my area and I will get to meet her. Enjoyed all the pictures people posted for those of us that couldn't get there. Maybe one day.

SuzyQue
October 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Karen, you hit the nail on the head. I could not have put it any better.....what you said was perfect! And just to put it out there, we will be meeting again next year....same place, same time.....so if you missed out, don't make that mistake again! Save those pennies!

MRoy
October 6th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for sharing Karen. Maybe someday I'll make it to MSQC too!

Shirley
October 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM
So true Karen. Thanks so much!

nyscpa2be
October 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM
After living vicariously through the amazing forum members who got to go to Hamilton last week, and seeing Karen's beautiful write up, I have but one question - When is the next retreat?? I want to add to my name to that list, and block the week on my calendar!

Sandy Navas
October 6th, 2013, 11:18 AM
We had them 'pencil' in the same dates for 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stitching woman
October 6th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Well said Karen. This family is the real deal and we are all so lucky to be a part of the MSQC !!!!!!!!!!!

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Well said Karen. This family is the real deal and we are all so lucky to be a part of the MSQC !!!!!!!!!!!

Darlin, you are the real deal too!

Blondie
October 6th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Karen, I am so happy that you were able to make that long long drive to the M*. I am needing to get into the group and really look at the pics - I noticed I had to "join" the group to do that.
I am confident that everyone who was able to get there will have a special bond forever because a "first time" for everything is just that way. What better way to share the experience for the forum members and the Doan family than to appreciate the warmth of added family members! I am just overjoyed for each one who was able to attend!

stitching woman
October 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Karen, I am so happy that you were able to make that long long drive to the M*. I am needing to get into the group and really look at the pics - I noticed I had to "join" the group to do that.
I am confident that everyone who was able to get there will have a special bond forever because a "first time" for everything is just that way. What better way to share the experience for the forum members and the Doan family than to appreciate the warmth of added family members! I am just overjoyed for each one who was able to attend!

Blondie we all so missed you and we spoke of you often. How we all wished you could have been here with us. Thanks you so much for your gifts. The duck is so cute and my pincushion will have a very special place in my sewing room. Miss you so much my dear take good can of Momma and hopefully next year you will be with us.

auntiemern
October 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Could not have said it better. Lifetime friendships were formed, between us forum members that were there, and the Doan family. They are more to all of us now than just the people we dream of meeting someday. I did not want to leave, but had to. I want to move to Hamilton, but that will never happen, it is to far from Lake of the Ozarks. I am already counting the days until next year.

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM
360 days Marilyn, 360 days!!

shermur
October 6th, 2013, 04:18 PM
360 days Marilyn, 360 days!!

Kensington...you sound excited for next years event! I know I'm going to be better prepared for the next one!!!!!

pcbatiks
October 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Karen.........great write up! The Doan family prepared & brought supper to all of you.........that must have been fun!! Thanks to everyone that went for sharing your stories with those who didn't make it this year.

Sandy Navas
October 6th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Oh, in case anyone is into cupcakes . . . there is a former M* employee who now bakes cupcakes and are they ever, ever, ever the most wonderful ones (don't ask how many Key Lime Pie cupcakes this lady added to her waistline . . . )

auntiemern
October 6th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I think all of us there are excited to go back. Must start saving right away. ;)

pcbatiks
October 6th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Oh, in case anyone is into cupcakes . . . there is a former M* employee who now bakes cupcakes and are they ever, ever, ever the most wonderful ones (don't ask how many Key Lime Pie cupcakes this lady added to her waistline . . . )

Surely calories don't count when you eat at the the Missouri Star retreat center!!?? :D

K. McEuen
October 6th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Whee! I made it home about 45 minutes ago. Made pretty good time today, traffic was fairly light.

I'll say it again, I had a blast meeting all of you!

auntiemern
October 6th, 2013, 10:40 PM
So happy to hear you made it home safely. Now, just don't go sharing all our secrets. LOL
Whee! I made it home about 45 minutes ago. Made pretty good time today, traffic was fairly light.

I'll say it again, I had a blast meeting all of you!

kensington
October 6th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Ummmm... do we have any secrets left? LOL

ilive2craft2
October 6th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Karen, thanks for sharing! Glad you are home safe and sound.

auntiemern
October 7th, 2013, 02:24 AM
What happens at the quilt retreat, stays at the quilt retreat.
Ummmm... do we have any secrets left? LOL

snippet
October 7th, 2013, 02:49 AM
oh my gosh, you are so eloquent! ditto what you said Karen.

I spent some time talking to the visitors who came to the open house on Friday and Saturday. I have a new friend named Dorothy who also makes t-shirt quilts. we've already started emailing each other. then I met a man outside when I was about to leave. we must have chatted for 45 minutes about how nice it was too see Hamilton growing again. He told me a little about Mr Penney and growing up around the town. Then there was the couple who remembered that partof the retreat center was a boarding house. And I can't forget about two ladies who worked in the photography studio that is the the other part of the building.
Gosh...I love that town.

K. McEuen
October 7th, 2013, 02:55 AM
oh my gosh, you are so eloquent! ditto what you said Karen.

I spent some time talking to the visitors who came to the open house on Friday and Saturday. I have a new friend named Dorothy who also makes t-shirt quilts. we've already started emailing each other. then I met a man outside when I was about to leave. we must have chatted for 45 minutes about how nice it was too see Hamilton growing again. He told me a little about Mr Penney and growing up around the town. Then there was the couple who remembered that partof the retreat center was a boarding house. And I can't forget about two ladies who worked in the photography studio that is the the other part of the building.
Gosh...I love that town.

Dorothy came in looking for you not 5 minutes after you left. Then she came back later and sat and talked with some of us. You may have still been outside gabbing!

jenny
October 9th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I wish I could "like" this over and over!!! We also had a great time and even though I had never met some of you...you were all so familiar to me and and I felt like I had known all of you forever! Thank you so much for loving and appreciating us...all these comments are the reasons we keep doing this...and.... well I also love fabric! Haha....but in all seriousness all of you are amazing icing on a wonderful cake!! Thank you again for making us all feel so good! We DO LOVE You all!!!! See you soon!

jenny
October 9th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Oh look how cute we are! Dorothy is so sweet and a wealth of info !

BillNye
October 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM
ditto to what Mom said, you guys were such a treat. I don't think I've received that many hugs from so many mama's .... maybe ever! :) You all are the epitome of what we are so proud of with our business, you are friends not customers, you care about each other and it shows, you quilt as an extension of your love for others and rarely as something to benefit yourself (I've never seen a goodie table that well stocked by EVERYONE)

I love what you all do and can't wait to be a part of it next year too!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Al and Jenny, we can't express adequately how much you guys mean to us! We are so happy for you in your success of MSQC and love seeing the way your family works together to grow the business! And we absolutely love the time you spent with us during our week in Hamilton sharing stories and ideas. To me, that really made the week oh so memorable! Al, we'll continue the hugfest the next time we meet, you are one dynamic whirlwind of a quilt shop owner! Love ya all!

K. McEuen
October 10th, 2013, 01:30 PM
ditto to what Mom said, you guys were such a treat. I don't think I've received that many hugs from so many mama's .... maybe ever! :) You all are the epitome of what we are so proud of with our business, you are friends not customers, you care about each other and it shows, you quilt as an extension of your love for others and rarely as something to benefit yourself (I've never seen a goodie table that well stocked by EVERYONE)

I love what you all do and can't wait to be a part of it next year too!

Hey, I was totally serious about bringing you home with me too. I told my daughter I was trying to get you to come back with me, she giggled. I showed her your picture and she went "Hmmm." I've planted a seed! I think I am going to have to work out some sort of rental agreement on you with Jenny, I don't think I could get away with kidnapping you.

Looking forward to next year already. :)

HdWench
October 10th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Karen you are so talented and gifted saying it all. I'm sitting here crying from the overwhelming love we felt, how easy it was to chat to every one of the Doan's and how wonderful they made us feel. Just like chatting with your great friend, your neighbor! If I never get to leave my house again, I will have lived my dream every day in my heart. I can only say to other members, please do everything you can to get there in October 2014. I swear it is worth every cent to scrimp and save and get there! I miss everyone and that little sweet town so much, thank you all for making it so special.

Gosh, anyone have one of those cute kleenex tissue holders a forum member made??? :icon_hug: