PDA

View Full Version : Off to sail the seas

Nidan_07
October 5th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Hi Peeps,

Last night we had a get together over at my sister's place to farewell my 18yr old nephew who has joined the Royal Australian Navy, and is leaving the nest next week for his initial training.

As far as I am aware, the first four weeks are set aside for some pretty intense training, so he is not allowed any contact with home for that time. After that, training continues, but he will be able to be in touch. Then, it is just a case of wherever they send him, is where he will be.

Hard to believe that the little boy I used to look after, and who used to come stay with me has grown up so fast. We have always been close.

I used to do karate with him, and as he is so much taller than I am he could always get his kicks up around my head, but I could only ever get his chest at best. I used to dread pairing up against him at training....he never hurt me, but sure kicked my butt. He joins the Navy with enough self discipline and dedication to have earned his 2nd dan black belt by the time he was sixteen, so I am hoping that will have been good preparation for him.

He's always been a polite and very respectful young man, and although we are excited for him, it is still another chick leaving it's nest. His mother (my sister) is really happy for him, but I think it will be quite a shock to her once he has gone.

I have attached some pics :

Family group shot of us: My sister in the orange dress at the front is Brock's Mum, My other sister is on the end beside me, and her daughter is on the other side.

There is also a photo of this old chick and Brock, and one of all of that generation (the cousins) from our side of the family.

I hope that the photo attachment works.

Thanks for looking. :icon_wave:

Musical_Starling
October 6th, 2013, 12:04 AM
What a good looking family! You all definitely have good genes lol Congratulations to Brock and the best of luck on his new journey :)

Lisapc
October 6th, 2013, 01:20 AM
What a beautiful family you have. Wishing the best for Brock's journey and those hearts that will be missing him.

easyquilts
October 6th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Aren 't family pictures fun.... I have a couple that I treasure... Maybe I will post my favorite.

You have a good looking family...

It is always hard to when our "babies" grow up, isn't it? I think your sister....and you....are going be a bit bereft when your nephew leaves for his training....I know I would be upset, even if I thought he was doing the right thing.... I know how proud of him you and your sister must be...