PDA

View Full Version : Did someone say snow?

mom4him
October 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Thought I would share a few of our snow pictures. Pretty crazy, especially for this early in the year.
This is a face book link so I hope it works. Pictures really can not capture this though. Our trees fared pretty good but there are trees down all around us. I am so thankful the power came back on and has stayed.
https://www.facebook.com/sandy.moeller.9/media_set?set=a.742564862427256.1073741830.1000002 12476463&type=1

kelliedi
October 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM
omgosh it is toooo early

Renate
October 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Sandy, this is much to early. I hope the snow goes away very quickly and the yellow/orange/red autumn comes back soon

mom4him
October 5th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I agree, way to early.
Renate, as far as the autumn coming back I am thinking not. Part of the problem was most of the trees still had most of their leaves.

grannyann
October 5th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Wow you did get a lot of snow. I feel for you. Glad you are all safe .Thanks for sharing your pictures.

toggpine
October 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Yikes! We have been seeing the whacky weather reports on the news!

I hope all of you are safe & warm!

pcbatiks
October 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Wow Sandy.......I can't imagine that much snow.......

mom4him
October 5th, 2013, 03:10 PM
This is the kind of snow we would possibly get in March-May. Never seen it in Oct quite like this. Always an adventure in South Dakots. LOL

Doloris
October 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM
not a member of facebook so no pics to see :icon_sniff:

dwil23
October 5th, 2013, 03:23 PM
WOW! How many inches would they say that is? I heard predictions that you could get up to 40". Glad you got Richard home from the hospital and hope you don't have reason to have to go anywhere until it melts.

Iris Girl
October 5th, 2013, 03:24 PM
content unavailable for me to view..

easyquilts
October 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Is it normal to have that kind of snow this early where you live? It's so beautiful.... I love snow...if I can stay in my warm house, sitting under a nice, soft quilt.....

Jean Sewing Machine
October 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM
This is crazy! The drifts are unbelievable!

ilive2craft2
October 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM
It is beautiful - knowing that you are safe and have Richard home and power is back on, is helping me to see the beauty in the snow. It is supposed to be 80 here with thunderstorms again today - very humid. Ran some errands in jeans and I am changing to shorts! Wish we could balance out the weather between us - not used to having 80s in October!

mom4him
October 5th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I am sorry, Dolores. I am not feeling at all well today so don't have the stamina to convert the pic for here right now.

I just read that there are over 12,000 people without power. That is a lot when you consider we are a very rural area.

mom4him
October 5th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I agree, it is beautiful. I hate the cold any more but I still love the snow any time of year.

Sharyn J
October 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Sandy, we've been seeing your state and the blizzards on the news for several days. I'm glad you got your power back. It's hard enough to put up with snow like that so early in the season and lose power. Glad your son is home now. Stay safe.

Sandy Navas
October 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Sandy, you have been on my mind for the last several days. I'm glad that you have power and sure hope you don't have to go out for a while. Snuggle in and stay warm!!!

bubba
October 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I can remember when I was about three years old going to Madison SD for spring break w/my mom and older sisters and the snow still being higher than I was tall! That is my first recollection of ever seeing snow and it was pretty unbelievable!

buckeyequilter
October 5th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Wow....just wow!! I'm not ready for snow yet.

Bubby
October 5th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Sandy,

That's not just a dusting of snow....that's BIG snow!!! I'm happy to hear your power is on! I remember one year when it snowed here in Missouri in October....it didn't amount to anything like what you got. Break out the flannel jammies and winter quilts!!

MRoy
October 5th, 2013, 05:56 PM
WOW! So glad you're safe. I don't care for snow.

Lisapc
October 5th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Two years ago we had a snow storm come the day before Halloween that shut the schools down for a week. We trick or treated on Nov. 6th that year.

I hope you were stocked up and are doing well with all of this snow. Too early for so much but you seem to be handling it very well!

mom4him
October 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Two years ago we had a snow storm come the day before Halloween that shut the schools down for a week. We trick or treated on Nov. 6th that year.

I hope you were stocked up and are doing well with all of this snow. Too early for so much but you seem to be handling it very well!

We are used to snow dumps. It seems that most years we get at least one of these but maybe not quite this much and definitely not this early. It really is a part of life in the Black Hills.

mom4him
October 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I have read that we got about 22". In the upper hills they got 33". Seems like more because of the wind blowing it around and piling it up.

Iris Girl
October 5th, 2013, 08:09 PM
still can't see any pictures.....

alliek
October 5th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Unbelievable if I did not see your pics! So happy you are safe and pray your power stays on....I had the AC on this weekend, temps in the high high 80's and humid. I am not happy with our weather at this time of year either, but I can't compare to yours. Stay well, stay safe.

yeeehawterri
October 5th, 2013, 09:44 PM
WOW!!!! :icon_eek: I've never seen that much snow! I'm inclined to think I might be doing this -----> :icon_woohoo: , but after a few days I might be doing this ----> :icon_bah: . Stay warm, snuggie up and breakout out the stock pot to make some fabulous soup!

baslp
October 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM
HI Sandy-- I can finally log on and make comments. I can't believe how much snow western SD received! My mother-in-law must be without power in Rapid. We have not been able to call and talk to her. I hope that she prepared for the storm. My husband and son will be coming back to SD in 2 weeks to go Pheasant hunting with my brother. I decided to stay home with the dogs since it would be such a short trip.

Lilly
October 7th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for posting the pics! It sure is lovely from where I sit - he he. But I hope you and Richard stay safe and warm. This will mean a VERRRRRY long winter for you if it doesn't melt. Blessings on you all!

cyndiofthevortex
October 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
When I first saw this thread I wondered why you were posting pics from last winter!

mom4him
October 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Our car is still snowed in. Our drive way is about 1/2 block down an alley and we haven't been able to get anyone to come plow it. My husband was trying to get it out but getting stuck and then digging. I was so afraid he was going to over do. Finally convinced him that we didn't have any place we really needed to go to. From what I have heard interstate is still one lain each way. Totally crazy! I have to admit, I love being snowed in. LOL Now that is crazy!

Doloris
October 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Must look like below.

Suzyq
October 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Hi! Having visited the Black Hills two years ago and totally loving it, I can only imagine how beautiful it is there now... I envy you, can't wait for our winter! I love winter but two weeks in Florida would be nice!

quiltingtrish
October 8th, 2013, 06:51 PM
I couldn't live there. It is beautiful, but when we get that kind of snow here, it's about once every 7 or 10 years. I would love to come through your state in the summer though. Someday I will.

Hugs,

Patrice
October 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Oh my that is amazing. Your dog is precious. I have heard this winter is supposed to be pretty bad. I think I believe it after seeing this

mom4him
October 8th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Oh my that is amazing. Your dog is precious. I have heard this winter is supposed to be pretty bad. I think I believe it after seeing this

Yes, I agree, after this the winter looks like it just might be a very white one AND our Freddy is precious......... when he is asleep and not getting in trouble. LOL Last night for what ever reason all three dogs were wanting our daughters attention. He jumped up on her lap and put the other two to the other side of the room. He is the youngest and by far the smallest but boy he is the dominate. Mariah made him get down and I scolded him. He then loosed so very forlorn. LOL

mom4him
October 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I forgot to share, there are still a lot of people without power and many of the ranchers have suffered great loss. We have some very good friends that we saw yesterday. He said he had found 70 cattle dead and was going home to keep looking. I felt so bad for him. They are the most precious people you could ever meet. They have 16 children, 9 of which are adopted and very special needs kids. It is just so sad.

PeggyM
October 8th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Hello, Southwest Air? Yes, I would like a one way ticket to Key West. Price is no object!! Sorry, I have developed a severe hatred/fear of snow in my old age. It's pretty to look at, though.

SallyO'Sews
October 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Same thing happened here 2 years ago... When the snow falls too early, it sticks to all the leaves that are still on the trees and brings them down under the weight. Our power was out for a week; not fun. So glad your power is back on, Sandy!

We will be praying for your friends and neighbors.