PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls on a Plane

cyndiofthevortex
October 5th, 2013, 12:11 AM
When my kids were younger, they invented a game called "Scare Night." They started to play it about this time of year, when it got dark early enough for them to play for an hour or so before bedtime. In the game, a frisbee was placed in the back yard. Two kids were in the front yard on the front steps, the rest of the kids were hiding in the dark in the backyard. The front yard kids had to run around the house, get the frisbee and make it back to the steps without getting tagged by the kids in the back. There was lots of sneaking and whispering. I loved the look of them when they came in, all out of breath and a bit windblown, leaves in their hair from crawling around the bushes trying not to be seen. They all have fond memories of it and speak of it, and of other games, when we all get together as a family.

We had a game like it when I was growing up and lots of other games as well. Card games, board games, ball games, we played everything there was to play. Do kids still play games like this today? I hope so.

What about you? What did you play when you were a kid? Did you have siblings or neighbors to play with? How about your kids? Did they have any favorite games?

bhaggerty
October 5th, 2013, 12:15 AM
we called that game "Ghost in the Graveyard"
same game, different name!

so fun!

Lisapc
October 5th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I have 6 brothers and two sisters. They youngest before me are two brothers, 7 yrs older. Then I have one younger by 4 yrs. We had no kids in our neighborhood, old farm area.

What we did do was play in snow in the dark. My Dad would put on the huge back yard flood light and my little brother and I would bundle up and go play in the snow. It was probably the only time we rushed through dinner and homework if it was during the week. I will never forget flying down the hill while it was snowing in the dark or skating on the pond in the waaay back yard in the dark.

When my son was about 2 (he is 9 now) we were having a storm on a Saturday and I left the dishes on the table, mess from cooking on the stove and started to bundle him up to go out. Hubby was horrified. What are you doing? It's snowing out, are you crazy? I told him to bundle up and come with us or be quiet. It is now a tradition with us as well. Often hubby is dragging out our snow gear before my son is even done eating. We love to play in the snow in the dark. My Brenna and her family do at their home and when they come here. It really is fun.

Hulamoon
October 5th, 2013, 12:36 AM
This brought back a fun memory. When I was little I played horses out side. My friends and I would jockey all over the neighborhood. Well it was better than watching tv. lol

One of my uncles was very, very competitive at board games. Every Thanksgiving we all played aggravation,

My grandmother was so funny. She was always cracking up when someone got sent back. We played Monopoly too. Uncle Jack was ruthless.

I bought the girls this game (aggravation) when they were sort of young. My youngest would get so mad that she couldn't get the rules. No matter how many times you told her. Poor thing was so frustrated. lol

MichelleKC
October 5th, 2013, 12:56 AM
My younger brother and I used to play Hide and Go Seek in the dark with neighbor kids, and catch fireflies in a jar. My kids play Dark Tag which is pretty much the same thing. I love the idea of playing in the snow in the dark, I'll have to tell the kids about it.

kensington
October 5th, 2013, 01:06 AM
My husband is an eagle scout, when our kids were young he taught them to play capture the flag... same same. Myself, it was freaky, I was always afraid I would run smack into someone and crack my noggin!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 5th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I have 6 brothers and two sisters. They youngest before me are two brothers, 7 yrs older. Then I have one younger by 4 yrs. We had no kids in our neighborhood, old farm area.

What we did do was play in snow in the dark. My Dad would put on the huge back yard flood light and my little brother and I would bundle up and go play in the snow. It was probably the only time we rushed through dinner and homework if it was during the week. I will never forget flying down the hill while it was snowing in the dark or skating on the pond in the waaay back yard in the dark.

When my son was about 2 (he is 9 now) we were having a storm on a Saturday and I left the dishes on the table, mess from cooking on the stove and started to bundle him up to go out. Hubby was horrified. What are you doing? It's snowing out, are you crazy? I told him to bundle up and come with us or be quiet. It is now a tradition with us as well. Often hubby is dragging out our snow gear before my son is even done eating. We love to play in the snow in the dark. My Brenna and her family do at their home and when they come here. It really is fun.

Lisa, what a sweet story! You may recall I mentioned I'm a runner. Unlike most folks, my favorite weather to run in is sub-freezing temps. I even run when it snows. At 5:30 am on snow days, there's nothing more magical. Everyone with sense is indoors in bed -- so it's like I have the entire world to myself. My dogs romp along with me and when we make it home, we sometimes roll in the snow together. And running in a snowstorm is even better.

When I have grandkids, we are going to play in the dark in the snow together!

Lisapc
October 5th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Joan: I don't run. I tried but even though my legs don't rub together my thighs turn bright red and burn. So I hike. Primary reason for having the dogs is hiking/family. I love to hike in the woods in the snow. Hiking takes place in the daylight though.

pcbatiks
October 5th, 2013, 01:34 AM
The 1st outside game that came to mind for me as a kid was....."Save the Country". Sounds similar to what has already been mentioned. We would play this after dark at my cousin's or my grandma's house. Everyone would start off standing together in a group...one person would kick a ball assigned to a certain spot in the yard & yell "save the country". The person who was "it" had to go get the ball & bring it back to the official spot..........while that is being done everyone else would run & hide. Then that person would start looking for the others that were hiding while still trying to keep an eye on the ball. If they found someone.....they had to get back to the ball before the person they just found........if so a that person was it & the game started over. But if someone could sneak up to the ball & kick it again.....they would yell "save the country" & the person who was it had to come back & get the ball & start the whole process again! I'm tired just writing about it! :D

Hey Lisa.........if we waited to go outside to play in the snow as kids...........we would have never went outdoors! :D It sounds like fun though!

ksap
October 5th, 2013, 01:42 AM
When I was growing up, we played lots of games outside. The reason being is that my mother practically pushed us out the door right after breakfast and only wanted to see us for lunch and then dinner. She pushed all 6 of us out and since I was the oldest, I was in charge. So we stayed very busy with kickball, marbles, shooting baseball cards, jump rope, fort building and the day usually ended with flashlight tag.

Our favorite indoor game was sardines which we only played at one particular friend's house. The reason being is she lived in a huge house so there were lots of good hiding places. Someone went to hide and then the rest of us tried to find her. When you came upon her hiding place, she moved over and you joined her. The closet or wherever would get very crowded (thus, the name of the game, sardines). The last person looking would eventually find the whole group cramped into the same hiding spot. Lots of fun!!

I hope kids today still play these same things but I worry that all of the technology they are exposed to, keeps them from good old fashioned fun.

pcbatiks
October 5th, 2013, 01:46 AM
When I was growing up, we played lots of games outside. The reason being is that my mother practically pushed us out the door right after breakfast and only wanted to see us for lunch and then dinner. She pushed all 6 of us out and since I was the oldest, I was in charge. So we stayed very busy with kickball, marbles, shooting baseball cards, jump rope, fort building and the day usually ended with flashlight tag.

Our favorite indoor game was sardines which we only played at one particular friend's house. The reason being is she lived in a huge house so there were lots of good hiding places. Someone went to hide and then the rest of us tried to find her. When you came upon her hiding place, she moved over and you joined her. The closet or wherever would get very crowded (thus, the name of the game, sardines). The last person looking would eventually find the whole group cramped into the same hiding spot. Lots of fun!!

I hope kids today still play these same things but I worry that all of the technology they are exposed to, keeps them from good old fashioned fun.

That is a cute game Karen.........I don't think I've heard of that one before! I would imagine a lot of giggling went along with this game! :D

Lisapc
October 5th, 2013, 01:48 AM

I throw my son and GD outside all the time. I have been known to walk to the edge of the woods and hand them a stick and tell them that these are not for hitting each other or hurting each other or anything that breaths in any way! I only did the stick thing one time when they were arguing and I lost it. Hubby just laughed!

bkthomas
October 5th, 2013, 01:54 AM
My older brothers taught me just what to watch for and when to swing the bat for baseball - that was fun to be able to hit that ball clear across the yard!

My mom tells a story of coming home one day to find most of us (there were 6 of us that time - no Roxy yet) marching around the yard singing, "I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener"

lilmouse
October 5th, 2013, 02:02 AM
I remember that after school some friends and I would play double deck canasta while one of us was babysitting for neices and nephews...we had allot of fun with it and now I can't even remember how to play it....hide and go seek, going for walks in the neighborhood....this was back when no one locked their doors and keys were left in the ignition...more sweet and innocent times

turena65
October 5th, 2013, 02:22 AM
We loved playing all sorts of games growing up, my three older brothers and I. Indoors... outdoors, it didn't matter. Many of them have already been mentioned. Every Sunday and Monday night we would pop a big old batch of popcorn and put a board game on the table (most likely Monopoly) and while Jacque Cousteau, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Wonderful World of Disney was on we would play some marathon games as a family....

When our kids were growing up, we played all kids of board and card games... they now like to play them with their families and they are always calling us to ask what the name of this game or that was so they could pick one up. Our baby, Natalie, is 15 now and she has a lot of sleepovers. Since she's now in a wheelchair and can't run around outside and play games, they play lots of card and board games in the house.... our new favorite? Wackee Six. A fun, fast-paced card came that is fairly new, we bought it off Amazon and we liked it so much we bought it for all of our friends and family for Christmas last year. Other family favorite are of course Monopoly, Rummikub, Sequence, Dominoes, and of course my husband and boys' favorite... Risk! Lots of late night hours with my hubby and the boys and their friends until all hours of the night playing Risk...

MayinJerset
October 5th, 2013, 02:53 AM
The mid 1940's was my childhood playtime. We and our friends also were 'thrown out' of the house so we played outside most of the day and after dinner, games had their seasons and their times of the day.

Spring and summer daytime we played Patsy (Hopscotch) and jump rope on the sidewalk and stick ball in the street. Card games like War and Brisk were very big with us kids as someone always had a beat up deck of cards. We played cards on our front stoops in the afternoon. At night we played Hide and Seek, one time I hid so well that no one found me so they all went home because their mothers were calling them. Sometimes we took a box of Ritz and some fruit and went to Prospect Park for the day, oh we would walk for miles through that big park. We also walked over a few streets to the playground, summertime they had a sprinkler pool to cool off in. Such an innocent time as our parents never worried about anyone harming us kids.

Daytime in the Fall we roller skated in the street. We were fairly safe as it was War time with gas rationing so there were very few cars driving down our street. Some nights when it got really dark Lully, an older girl, would sit with us on the curb and tell us scary stories. You have to know most of us had nightmares those nights.

Most of us were watching our younger brothers and sisters so many games were broken up because the younger kids got bored. At home I would keep my younger siblings quiet by making them hang up socks and handkerchiefs on little rope lines while I hung the bigger laundry. If it was bad weather in the daytime we played store, kids would go shopping in the pantry and I was the store keeper. Someone gave us a small desk and we played school, guess who was the teacher? At night when my mother went upstairs with the babies and after I finished the dishes we would play radio. An empty cereal box on a broom handle was our microphone. If my parents went out at night we would all hide under the covers of the three quarter sized bed I shared with my sister Louise while we played Hurricane.

Nidan_07
October 5th, 2013, 03:13 AM
My favourite growing up was 'spotlight' with all the neighbourhood kids. We used to have get back to base and bang on the letterbox to be 'safe. We used to absolutely love it - that was until a new lady moved into the neighbourhood and called the cops on us. We were only kids,so who knew what she was thinking. We weren't allowed to play after that. In the daylight hours we were usually playing cricket in the back street, or riding our bikes, or playing tennis.

We have a cupboard full of board games here, and we often play them. DS isn't often keen, but DD is. DH and I like Rummikub best.
DH and his family love a good game of cards, so they always play 'Joe' when we get together.

I envy those of you who can go out and play in the snow. I have only ever seen snow once in my life (can you believe it??)
Lisa, I'm going to have to come visit you one winter, so we can go play outside like kids.

I have loved reading this the thread. Brings back such good memories. I know the kids growing up today probably have a lot more than we did growing up in the way of technology and things, but I don't think they have as much fun.

Paragraph Police (you know who you are!!!).......I done good, no? Now I just gotta get me some gooder grammar!!

dwil23
October 5th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Mostly I remember riding our bikes. Am I seriously dating myself if I ask who remembers banana bikes? A couple of the older kids made paths through a vacant lot that we rode around for hours on end.

Nidan_07
October 5th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Mostly I remember riding our bikes. Am I seriously dating myself if I ask who remembers banana bikes? A couple of the older kids made paths through a vacant lot that we rode around for hours on end.

Donna,
Not sure what a banana bike is - is it a dragster? I had a malvern star dragster with the really high back with the the big round reflector in the middle, and a 3 speed gear shift on the bar across the middle......WOW!!! :lol:

Our parents would not pay for spokey dokes, so we used to cut up coardboard and attach it to the wheels with clothes pegs. :icon_cool:

bakermom
October 5th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Hide and seek. we lived in an old farmhouse surrounded by huge trees-perfect for hiding behind. In the winter we did jigsaw puzzles and played cards

dwil23
October 5th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Donna,
Not sure what a banana bike is - is it a dragster? I had a malvern star dragster with the really high back with the the big round reflector in the middle, and a 3 speed gear shift on the bar across the middle......WOW!!! :lol:

Our parents would not pay for spokey dokes, so we used to cut up coardboard and attach it to the wheels with clothes pegs. :icon_cool:

No, banana bikes got their name from the shape of the seat very long and narrow. The wheels were extremely small - like maybe 12" and you had to really work hard to peddle them. They had a bar that came up in the back that you could lean against to do wheelies. No gears and high handlebars. Mine was purple and my sister's was hot pink. Here is a google image that is somewhat like we had - but not exactly.

Google Image Result for http://indulgy.net/H1/OA/x8/130885932889943605IFifcOt5c.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?start=130&client=firefox-a&hs=4rN&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1024&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbnid=Xo72wVXoGDTkkM:&imgrefurl=http://indulgy.com/post/WaMej9GCN1/similar-to-my-bikeblue-sparkly-banana-seat&docid=hgbWzT7N1Lm7vM&imgurl=http://indulgy.net/H1/OA/x8/130885932889943605IFifcOt5c.jpg&w=300&h=263&ei=BcBPUu65FdC3qAHL-IGgAQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:35,s:100,i:109&iact=rc&page=9&tbnh=174&tbnw=202&ndsp=17&tx=109&ty=94)

cyndiofthevortex
October 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I had a purple and white Huffy banana bike! I don't know where my family got the money to afford it. All of my things were hand-me-downs from my two older sisters but this bike was mine, all mine!

Suzyq
October 5th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Oh my gosh, I remember banana bikes, I could never have one as had long skinny legs so not a,good fit...I did though attach pieces of,cardboard to the spokes with clothes pins and can still her the clickety clack noise they made. Oh the,good ole days!

yeeehawterri
October 5th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Loved my bike! Had the banana seat and butterfly handlebars! We lived at the bottom of a hill and our favorite thing to do was race to the top, come flying down the hill standing on the seat and near the bottom jump down and slam on the brakes to see how far we could skid.

We also played "Starlog", much similar to everyone's nighttime tag games. We ran the neighborhood from daylight to just after dark, and only watched TV if the weather was bad or in the evening before bed. We had the best time and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

MayinJerset
October 5th, 2013, 09:07 AM
My older boys first bikes were reconditioned ones from the local bike repair shop. When they were 8 and 10 we bought them their first real bikes which were banana bikes, one was red and white and the other blue and white. Went to Korvette's to buy them because the price was affordable but they only had one left. Both boys were with me so I didn't want to disappoint one of them but lucky for us someone suggested a nearby department store where we got the 2nd one. Lots of click clacking in our neighborhood when they and their friends attached cards to the spokes.

When they were in high school and had bigger and better bikes the first thing they did during summer vacation was to ride their bikes down to Atlantic Highlands, a good 15 miles away. Of course I never knew anything about these long bike rides until they were much older. Found out last year youngest son also did those long summer bike rides and also jumped off the bridge into the ocean. Now his is older and wiser and wouldn't jump off that bridge especially since it has been replaced by a much higher one. He now runs that bike route training for the USMC Marathon later this month.

lilmouse
October 5th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I remember the banana bikes; riding our bikes all over the neighborhood, I lived across the street from Lake Michigan so every summer found us at the beach swimming.......when there wasn't an undertow.....and that usually occurred when it was windy...also remember walking in the rain....umbrellas were for sissies back then and I remember roller skating on skates that took a key to adjust to your shoes....now who is dating themselves?

bakermom
October 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Roller skates with keys!! i remember saving to buy a pair when i was 6 or 7. It seemed to take forever-I think they were $5 at the hardware store. my sister's BF emptied the change out of his car's ashtray to help me out. Now why i thought i needed them??? we lived out in the country on a farm-no sidewalks. I skated on the barn floor and the huge front porch. wonder I didn't kill myself!

dwil23
October 5th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Loved my bike! Had the banana seat and butterfly handlebars! We lived at the bottom of a hill and our favorite thing to do was race to the top, come flying down the hill standing on the seat and near the bottom jump down and slam on the brakes to see how far we could skid.

We also played "Starlog", much similar to everyone's nighttime tag games. We ran the neighborhood from daylight to just after dark, and only watched TV if the weather was bad or in the evening before bed. We had the best time and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

BUTTERFLY HANDLEBARS! - that's right, forgot they were called that!

Iris Girl
October 5th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I remember 2 banana bikes I had one was emerald green the other was pinkish purple!!! loved them.
We had 2 favorite games when I grew up. I was an only child but lived next door to an aunt and uncle with 5 kids we all grew up lke brothers and sisters, plus when my aunts sister came over and brought her 5 ...that was good times .

we lived on a fairly main road back then with a big front yard . on friday and sats nights the road was busy with people going to the racetrack. so we would start up at the time and when we seen a car come from either way over the hills we would run like the dickens and try and make it to the driveway before the cars lights would *kill* us. of course this was played after dark.

The other was night tag and scare you. Basically hide and seek in the dark where you would try and scare the crap out of someone walking by you. with 10 kids running around there was a lot of screaming and breathless kids running. The front porch was *safe zone*

Fun days.