PDA

View Full Version : This shut down is so sad

Hulamoon
October 4th, 2013, 06:41 PM
A school from Hawaii (not sure how many kids) are going to Washington DC to go to all the monuments and the Smithsonian. It cost the families $4,000 each and now they can't get into anything.

One of my daughters took a school trip like that and loved it. I feel so bad for all these people planning trips and spending money and it just get's dropped.

Doloris
October 4th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Can they put it off for a while. Maybe the airlines will work with them

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I took a trip like that in 8th grade. We went to DC and NYC in 1976. It cost my family $500, which was huge for my single mom (and my grandma who lived with us). It was really a sacrifice for my family, but it was a trip I will never forget.

So sorry for these kids. I am so mad at our government right now I could go on a rant -- but I'll save the politics for Twitter. This is my happy place.

nyscpa2be
October 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Since its a school related function, I'm wondering if the school's insurance policy can come into play here. Its not like the parents booked the trip for each individual child. Or maybe trip insurance if that was purchased?

Hulamoon
October 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah Joan I don't want to get into politics either.

I guess they had to change their itinerary. I was thinking about all the work that went into the planning. How many other kids are losing out. But the kids here are going a really long way. Dissapointing.

Grandma G
October 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM
That is a shame. I know Washington is one of my favorite places to visit. We had friends (who have since moved to Tucson - drat!) that lived outside of D.C. for years and we went a few times to visit. One of those times was when the D.C. sniper was shooting people down and boy was I a nervous wreck but that is a story for another time... There is so much to see there and in surrounding areas.

I hope they can somehow the school can salvage something that they may be able to postpone their trip.

Lisapc
October 4th, 2013, 07:47 PM
We did D.C. in the 6th grade. $210, I remember selling candy bars because you couldn't go unless you earned some of the money yourself. It was fun. The best part was not the touring of the monuments or even the Zoo it was the dinner theater, motel and the ride on the big fancy bus!

I am sure they will work it out and if they get to go later on after this mess is all fixed (I hope it will get fixed) the extra anticipation should be fun.

alliek
October 4th, 2013, 08:22 PM
How sad for them, and a sad time for this country as well. Please pray.

Hulamoon
October 4th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I'll watch the local news tonight, because I think they are already on the way.

I want to rant too.

easyquilts
October 4th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I feel bad for all the hopeful kids with cancer, who cannot get into clinical trials, now.... And the Moms who count on WIC....and the elderly who count on Meals on Wheels....and for all of people who saved up to visit Yellowstone on it's 123rd. birthday. The list of people.....real people who are being unnecessarily hurt goes on and on...

And I am so sorry those kids will miss a wonderful experience..... We went to DC and New York my senior year... I still have pictures...

Don't get me started..... I'm just so fed up with all of those people in Congress who care only for their own agenda.. they will take the country down, rather than do what's right.

Did you know that a Congressperson... The House and Senate..... Need only "work" one year to be eligible for retirement with full pay and benefits?

What a colossal joke our government has become....

Would you guys like yo know how I really feel? :)

asta
October 4th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Dont forget to keep in your prayers all the elderly planning a trip with the "Old Glory Honor Flight" I am involved in raising money for these retired soldier, sailors , marines and airmen who are passing away quickly and wishing to see the memorial to WWII.

nyscpa2be
October 4th, 2013, 10:24 PM

Does it involve swear words? Before the shutdown, I am ashamed to admit that I thought the Republicans stonewalling on passing only a partial funding bill was something that was ok to do. I just hadn't realized how much a shutdown would impact the day to day lives of Americans. Don't get me wrong - I'm also not OK with Obama's sayings - to me, he is very bullish, and his refusal to negotiate shows that he has a very big head. Plus, if we are not allowing 80% of the workforce to their desks, then why in the world are Obama and Kerry headed off to southeast Asia on political friendship trips? Right now, I don't like either side!!! But I have often thought of swear words to explain this whole rigmarole. I can't stand out government right now.

MRoy
October 4th, 2013, 10:24 PM
My son is a furloughed Federal employee. You can probably guess how I feel about the shutdown.

Lissau
October 4th, 2013, 11:39 PM
...............nyscpa2be ... Obama cancelled his trip to APEC... .l'm in Australia and he was suppose to met our new Prime Minister it was announced yesterday that his cancelled the trip to stay home.

APEC visit cancelled as Obama tends to crisis

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/apec-visit-cancelled-as-obama-tends-to-crisis-20131004-2uzpn.html#ixzz2goNmosyS

Mchelem
October 5th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I feel bad for all the hopeful kids with cancer, who cannot get into clinical trials, now.... And the Moms who count on WIC....and the elderly who count on Meals on Wheels....and for all of people who saved up to visit Yellowstone on it's 123rd. birthday. The list of people.....real people who are being unnecessarily hurt goes on and on...

And I am so sorry those kids will miss a wonderful experience..... We went to DC and New York my senior year... I still have pictures...

Don't get me started..... I'm just so fed up with all of those people in Congress who care only for their own agenda.. they will take the country down, rather than do what's right.

Did you know that a Congressperson... The House and Senate..... Need only "work" one year to be eligible for retirement with full pay and benefits?

What a colossal joke our government has become....

Is WIC not run by the same people who do the food stamps? According to the government sites, you can still collect welfare and food stamps,.

You can still pay taxes too, but all audits are halted....

Granny Judy
October 5th, 2013, 08:43 AM
My Daughter is on furlough... and I'm very angry with our Government. I will remember this come voting time!!!

aliaslaceygreen
October 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
This is the problem NOW. If the President (whomever it is, not Obama) Capitulates at this point, then the Presidency is FOREVER changed. The Balance of Power between the branches of government can't be used this way. If he caves, then any time EVER, for ANY president, when the other side is unhappy with a law that has been passed, and upheld by the Supreme Court, they can just stop playing the game?
This is so much bigger than this one shutdown. It is about how our country is run. Duly elected officials, who won their elections shouldn't have to give the losers in the election everything they want. Or why are we even doing it?

This is getting more political than it should get on this board, but really, its about the actual governing laws of the country and how we will go forward.

easyquilts
October 5th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I'll watch the local news tonight, because I think they are already on the way.

I want to rant too.

I heard a stupid money man say that the last shutdown....of 27 days....was a mere blip...he hardly remembered it, so he wasn't very concerned this time..

Just because HE is is not personally affected, foes not a "blip" make... People who are not well off enough to ride the shutdown out, are scared, as well they should be..... Many if these people live from one paycheck to another... And, as a mother and grandmother, I cannot even imagine the pain of having a cancer stricken child be not be able to take part in what might be a lifesaving study. This is no blip to those people... Delays can make a real difference in a child's chances of surviving.

I'm so mad I could spit!

Sheena
October 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I find your thoughts and comments interesting, but a warning for the UK. What happens in the USA usually happens here a few years later. We don't hear about how the situation affects the individual US citizen.

When I first heard about it on the news I thought it was a scenario. I didn't realise it was for real. How can this happen in the USA?

There are so many people! How come the taxes don't cover the bills?