PDA

View Full Version : 4 times this week!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 4th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Hi friends,

I just finished my fourth run for the week after getting back on the wagon two weeks ago.

And it's Friday and I have the day off to sew! Woo hoo for me!

On today's run, my friend and I managed to pass a group of reservists, which made us feel awesome. In their defense, they were wearing full fatigues and boots and heavy packs. And we were on the downhill part of the park's route. Still, the middle-aged women in us claimed it as Friday's victory.

Hope you have time to do a little sewing today and a little moving. Driving back from the park, I heard on the radio that only 25% of Americans report getting any physical exercise. 29% report none at all. I'm getting older and saggier by the year and trying hard not to fall into complete disrepair.

Have a great day!

pcbatiks
October 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Good for you Joan........keep it up!

Kgrammiecaz
October 4th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Stay motivated and keep on running. You wil have loads of energy for sewing

Lisapc
October 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
So happy for you. I vowed to start moving this week but just haven't. I will try again, thank you for the additional motivation.

grannyann
October 4th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Good for you. I know after I walk my 2 miles every morning I feel so much better and I am way past middle age. I am so thankful that I can get up and move so I do while I can. Keep up the running your doing great.

Claire Hallman
October 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
So very true, getting up on this side of the dirt is fantastic and a gift.
Running is not for this old girl but I am going to zumba 3 times a week and a Fit and Feisty for the other 2 and rest on the weekends. My zumba teach today said that she told her DH she wants to be like me when she gets old [she didn't really say old], quite the compliment I thought. :D

lilmouse
October 4th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Last night Steve was home.(just for the night) and I took Sassi for her evening constitutional (poddy time) and we walk about 4 city blocks....and Steve is like what's the hurry....and I said I do this even after 10 hours of waitressing ...can't he keep up? He sits in a truck all day and gets no exercise and I have been on him about doing some walking every day to keep his blood moving and to prevent clots in his legs...he is my age and that means we have to be more proactive about our health...he eats like a horse and gets almost no excercise...this isn't healthy for him so I am nagging him...and of course as he is putting on weight I am losing it...and I quit smoking before he did......I can't afford to lose anymore and he can't afford to gain anymore....I at least am walking at least twice a day or more with Sassy which is more than he is doing! Okay...sorry ....rant is over!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM
So very true, getting up on this side of the dirt is fantastic and a gift.
Running is not for this old girl but I am going to zumba 3 times a week and a Fit and Feisty for the other 2 and rest on the weekends. My zumba teach today said that she told her DH she wants to be like me when she gets old [she didn't really say old], quite the compliment I thought. :D

Claire -- you look beautiful in your photo. I'm sure you an inspiration to many. I aspire to exercise five times a week (and rest on weekends) but I'm not there yet. Thank you for the motivation.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Last night Steve was home.(just for the night) and I took Sassi for her evening constitutional (poddy time) and we walk about 4 city blocks....and Steve is like what's the hurry....and I said I do this even after 10 hours of waitressing ...can't he keep up? He sits in a truck all day and gets no exercise and I have been on him about doing some walking every day to keep his blood moving and to prevent clots in his legs...he is my age and that means we have to be more proactive about our health...he eats like a horse and gets almost no excercise...this isn't healthy for him so I am nagging him...and of course as he is putting on weight I am losing it...and I quit smoking before he did......I can't afford to lose anymore and he can't afford to gain anymore....I at least am walking at least twice a day or more with Sassy which is more than he is doing! Okay...sorry ....rant is over!

If you wait tables, no wonder you don't need to lose any weight. I waited tables in college and it was physically taxing. Now I have an office job and -- because I wear high heels and skirts and have fallen both up and down stairs too many times in my working career -- I don't even take the stairs anymore. Running is my only exercise and I need to keep with it.

I have a couple of friends whose DHs need to lose weight and get healthy. It's difficult, I know, when one partner is fit and another is not. My DH despises exercise but likes hard work, and he has an amazing metabolism (50 years old; 6'6"; 220 pounds). He manages to stay reasonably fit and healthy by doing things like chopping wood, yard work, walking the dogs, etc. Every so often we ride bikes together, but not often enough. We used to play tennis together but his shoulder gave out from years of coaching and feeding thousands of balls to young players. We'd like to take up kayaking but haven't found time or money yet.

Good luck with your DH. At least you are setting a good example for him by staying trim and active. And giving up smoking is HUGE!

GuitarGramma
October 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Good for you, Joan. Running is beyond me (at least beyond my ankle strength), but I did start more mild exercise this week. Reading your post helps to keep me motivated!

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 4th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Good for you, Joan. Running is beyond me (at least beyond my ankle strength), but I did start more mild exercise this week. Reading your post helps to keep me motivated!

Glad to hear it! Every little bit of movement helps. I'll keep posting my progress and maybe together we can become more active rather than less. I have to fight the urge to stay in the chair and sew all day long!