PDA

View Full Version : How I Met Your Night Owl

cyndiofthevortex
October 3rd, 2013, 02:44 AM
Good morning, Night Owls! I slept a little later than usual. How nice is that?

I try not to collect too many things, excepting all things quilty, of course. My one weakness is community cookbooks, the kind put out by the Ladies Aid Society. In this week's post about books Carol 336 admitted to having over 200 cookbooks! Tricia also said she loves cookbooks. I thought I was the only one but I guess I was wrong.

I have three favorites. One is "the Keepsake Quilting Cookbook" from you-know-where. It has a apple cake recipe that's to die for. But even better than that one is the "High Maples Farm Cookbook." It's about a family with 11 kids who grew up in a farmhouse just up the road from where I grew up. It has old family recipes plus the story of the family and how they lived. It's a great read! My most treasured cookbook is the one my mother used for all of her child-raising years. My parents were very poor and owned very few things. This was her only cookbook and there are lots of annotations in it in her beautiful handwriting.

Tonight I'd like to hear about a family tradition from your home that centers around a home-made dish. It doesn't have to be made from scratch, just made at home. In our family we continue to honor a French tradition as my dad is as French Canadian as they come. For the evening meal on Thanksgiving Day, we eat home-made meat pie with leftover mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Every family uses their own secret recipe. There are even annual contests to judge the best in the city. One year my 35 yo DB won, much to the horror of the women who'd been baking their famous pies with recipes generations old! My recipe is from my mom. I wish I knew who she got it from.

Describe for us a dish that comes with happy memories. We do not have enough room to post the recipes here, but if you want to share it post your recipe in the recipe thread.

Do you have a tradition you are carrying on from childhood, like me? Have you started one of your own with your own family? Is there one that you remember fondly from when you were a child? Share with us, Night Owls!

turena65
October 3rd, 2013, 03:00 AM
Love this! I have two recipes that have become family favorites in my family.... One is Potato Refrigerator Rolls.... I got the recipe from my mother-in-law 30 years ago when I met her son. She begrudgingly (sp?) gave it to me and finally after much duress, she succombed to the pressure and wrote it down. Little did I know at the time, that it was an old Better Homes and Garden Cookbook recipe, NOT a treasured family recipe passed down from generation to generation! I have since given it out literally hundreds of times because every one I know who tries them thinks they have died and gone to heaven. They are YUMMMMMMY! People request them for holidays, birthdays, and every single family get together we have. I make them for every church event, dinner and get together and they are just known as Turena's Rolls.... mmmmm.... if only I could claim them as my own. I will freely give out the recipe if anyone wants it.

The other recipe that has become our little family favorite is the Lion House Cheesecake. You can totally google it and get the recipe online.... My husband has become somewhat of a cheesecake connesiuer (sp?) and this is his go to recipe when he needs to whip one up in a hurry. Like the rolls, he makes a cheesecake for all kinds of special occasions, birthdays especially.... This little baby has won awards at the fair (as has those darn rolls!) and been sold at auctions for charity drives at school and at work for as much as $400.00! My husband also happens to be a food scientist, so he knows a little somethun somethun about cooking and baking in general anyway. But man, can he make a meeeeaaann Cheesecake! So much so that when my 2 older boys were dating and in college, they both attracted their wives by making them their dad's cheesecake... hahaha.... their wives say that they felt if they could find a guy who could cook like that, they must be a keeper! I love it... :)

MayinJerset
October 3rd, 2013, 03:03 AM
Growing up we did have a tradition for Thanksgiving. Most Italian families in our neighborhood would have an Italian meal with their turkey but we were different. My grandfather was born in US and he wanted a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with a turkey and a big one at that. He always bought the turkey and also bought a roasting pan big enough for a 30 lb. one. The roasting pan is still in the family as my sister Carol uses it to roast her turkey every year.

My family doesn't have too many traditions. many have changed over the years and sons grew up and married. Growing up the boys chose their favorite meals for their Bdays. no themed parties back then. Nowadays Holiday meals always feature favorites like Aunt Flora's Corn Casserole or Mary Jane's cheese cake. Now I have granddaughters and their families making their own traditions.

Sheena
October 3rd, 2013, 03:10 AM
We don't have any family recipes :(

We just make sure we never waste any food. Every little scrap gets eaten. Pan scrapings go the hens, fatty bits of meat to the cats, and anything else I mix in with the dog food.

Veg peelings, ends of carrots, etc all go to make the gravy and then onto the compost heap.

I make a LOT of fried rice with fresh eggs from our hens. My boys would eat fried rice for every meal if they had a choice! I think fried rice will be something they'll make when they leave home.

cyndiofthevortex
October 3rd, 2013, 03:13 AM
I make a LOT of fried rice with fresh eggs from our hens.
My mom used to keep hens and always sent us home from a visit with a dozen or so eggs. I'd kill for a fresh egg these days! I've got to find someone who sells them. There's nothing like 'em!

bkthomas
October 3rd, 2013, 03:21 AM
You're not gonna like this Cyndi, but I got nothin'

toggpine
October 3rd, 2013, 03:56 AM
Mom makes macaroni & cheese. Not the orange stuff out of the box. She makes a huge casserole dish and on occasion adds in sausage chunks. The really funny part was it always seemed to be my brother's turn to wash dishes on Mac& cheese night. The pan was always crusted with baked on cheese. Poor kid!
The other favorite is pumpkin bread. Mom used canned pumpkin, but we have stepped up the game and now used homemade pumpkin puree. That stuff is fabulous! It never lasts long around here. To the point that hubby planted extra sugar pumpkins this spring just for the prospect of pumpkin bread!
We also have some cookie recipes from grandmothers on both sides. A cowboy cookie with oatmeal, chocolate and butterscotch chips, and a Gingersnap one.
Of course where would we be without the Betty Crocker cookbook?

Loonwatcher
October 3rd, 2013, 04:11 AM
This is my first night owls post. Although I'm often up in the night , I forget to come here.

Our family tradition used to be making Christmas cookies with my son but we seemed to out grow that several years ago. Now we still have one tradition and that is to make applesauce; 30-50 quarts. It has gotten to the point that we don't like any other. It used to be me and my son but for the last couple years my DH has been out of work due to various injuries so he took over my job. Either he or I cut and cook the apples and DS cranks the Squeezo (kind of a glorified food mill). Now that I'm not involved DS does the seasoning (after much coaching and encouragement from mom). We love it. It just isn't fall without making applesauce.

bakermom
October 3rd, 2013, 04:23 AM
Well we have several but my favorite is my grandmother's cutout cookies. she baked and iced them with my dad when he was growing up. As kids, we would help bake them then after supper we all sat around the table with dad and iced them. I continued the tradition with my kids and they now bake them with their children.

Iris Girl
October 3rd, 2013, 04:58 AM
I am a baker. I love to bake so we have many traditions and many favorites. Homemade pumpkin pie with real whip cream ( not cool whip or spray). I make a delicious cheesecake you would think you were in heaven. Apple pie is another favorite. Chocolate puff balls came from my Grandma, its really steamed pudding served with a butter sauce. Great warm or cold. Banana bread mmmm. I am eating some as we speak , made 2 loaves yesterday on my day off. Some of them are recipes I found , some have come from my mom and some from a lady my mom used to work with. also make a great stroganoff... My oldest son *grades * me on new recipes and that gets put in the cook book. My cookbook by the way is an old zipper binder and all the recipes are in page protectors.

Quilted Fantasies
October 3rd, 2013, 05:25 AM
We have so many favorites I can't pick one. None are centered around any specific holiday but if I were to eat my last meal it would be covered-dish style and consist of:

Mom's Lays Red Label Ham
Grandma's Fried Sweet Potatoes
Momo's Green Beans
Effie's Meatloaf
Calvin Lee's Fried Rice
Corajane's Rolls
Irene's Mexican Cornbread
Richard's Coleslaw
Aunt Holly's Baked Beans
Aunt Holly's Stack Pie
Karen's Pasta Salad
My rendition of Aunt Holly's Peter Paul Mounds Cake
Li's Butter Cookies

Mary Ellen can bring the wine.:icon_heh:

Hulamoon
October 3rd, 2013, 05:38 AM
Well welcome Nancy!

No traditions to speak of. But I got the most raves for fried rice musubi at a beach party. The other was hallowed out small buns with chili, and all the fixings.

Cathy F
October 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
I have a composition book with all the recipes for our favorite Christmas cookies. These are the ones that I make every year. When I'm gone the book can be passed down to the next generation so they can still enjoy them.

Andrea F
October 3rd, 2013, 07:09 AM
My sister, that I grew up with, and I are together every christmas and just as we were kids, we always eat sausages (Wiener) and potato salad like our mum used to make it, before the children are going to unwrap their presents (we open the gifts in the evening of 24th here in Germany). We had to add meatballs to it because my DH eats only minced meat.

Our mum also made a goose on the 25th every year and some years ago we started this too. Now this is really fun. Our family is four persons, my sisters family is four persons, then there are two adult kids from my BILs first marriage and one boyfriend.
And there is another three persons coming to the family dinner most of the years, a former boyfriend of my sister with his girlfriend and daughter. My sister and he have been together since they were teenagers and he was part of our family for a very long time, he is the godfather to one of my kids and to my sistersī kids. That definitely counts as close family ;)
Oh, and I forgot my sisters in laws. What started with one goose for six people developed to my sister cooking a goose, her mother in law cooking one and I cook one too. So we have about 15 people to sit around a table with three geese on it and all the other stuff. I love it, itīs just fun when the whole family gets together.

On Dec 26th I meet with my other two sisters and every year one of us cooks. We are doing this for several years now. Guess we started a new family tradition here.

Oh, and not to forget the butter cream cake. My mum always made one for each birthday and so do my sister and I. We donīt make it for any other occasion.

Helen McD
October 3rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Fish and chips from the chip shop on a Friday night - sometimes eaten out of the newspaper wrapping with a slice of
White bread and butter and a cup of tea, possibly even a pickled onion - this used to be a very cheap meal for all seven
Of us - I usually had the job of going to get it.

On a Saturday was boiled bacon, cabbage and potatoes - once my dad boiled half a pigs head in the saucepan - it was a Huge saucepan - teeth and eyes included - awful sight - but that's how it was then - in the early 1970's

MayinJerset
October 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
After reading the posts after mine I realized I started the tradition of making Christmas cookies. Sons helped a bit when they were young but they quickly lost interest in making them, never lost interest in eating them. While I was baking some they would ask, 'Where are the burnt or broken ones?" They got to eat the 'good' cookies at Christmas. I also make loaves of fruit breads for our family and for gifts.

My brother and sisters and I started a tradition about 25 years ago after our youngest brother passed away. We get together on the first Sunday in December at the grave of our parents and youngest brother to lay a evergreen grave blanket on their grave. Sometimes our children and grandchildren join us while we say some prayers for them and other members who have passed and we end by singing, quite badly, Silent Night. Afterwards we go out to lunch and before leaving I gift my brother and 2 sisters with their Christmas fruit bread. I also have little gifts for the small kids who are my great grandnieces and nephews.

Tricia
October 3rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
My favorite cookbook of all time is Betty Crocker's Cooky Cookbook, I believe from 1963. I loved looking at that book growing up! At some point in my twenties my mother (who for some reason didn't have her copy anymore) found a first edition for me at an antique shop. Several years ago though they republished it so now I have both. My favorite recipe, one that we used every Christmas, Easter, Halloween (or just whenever there is a reason to have decorated cookies!)is Mary's Sugar Cookies and I carry on that tradition. 56947

Lisapc
October 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
May: My mother is Italian and she grew up with all the Italian dishes along side the turkey. It was before me but my mother tells me that their fist Thanksgiving together was a disaster because at 5:30 am Dad walked into the kitchen while she was stirring some sauce for her Lazagna and he said, "what the H**l are you doing?". So Thanksgiving is the traditional Turkey meal and the Italian food is there at every other holiday. Funny thing is he loves Italian food but apparently it has it's place.

I do the same meal for Thanksgiving that I grew up with. The only difference it the rice that hubby grew up eating. It never fails that my family never touches it yet my Peter's love it.

I do my mother's fudge starting in September through Easter. I make it 5 pounds at a time and my son called it pudge when he was little and now everyone calls it pudge. My Mom's apple pie, her fudge, her stuffing all her Italian food recipes, her potato salad, macaroni salad. We have a lot of foods and the list can go on that we all expect at certain holidays and gatherings throughout the year. My hubby's family are not great cooks but his Nana did great cookies. I have all of her Italian cookie recipes and her black and white cookie recipe that are all now something that my parents love added to our holidays. My Mom starts asking at Halloween for her anise cookies.

I have added roasted cream vidalia's for Christmas and a few other new recipes to our family that we look forward to as well.

I love to feed people on holidays and at gatherings. It is just the daily dinner every single night that I don't like doing. Add one extra person to my table and it changes my whole attitude.

cyndiofthevortex
October 3rd, 2013, 09:50 AM
Oh my goodness! I wish I could respond to every one of these posts as they are all so wonderful!

I just have to say hello to Nancy, and that we put up about 50 quarts of applesauce every year with everyone helping! When we eat the last bag it is so sad. We buy drops so it isn't too expensive. We don't season ours at all. I love the pink color from the peels and we have one of those do-hickeys to grind out the sauce separate from the peels and seeds. It works wonderfully and is easy enough for the kids to use.

Tricia, The Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook really is my next favorite cookbook of all time and it's the one I use the most! I had to buy DD Bethany her own because she kept stealing mine. Mine has JUST THIS FALL been destroyed in a tragic accident. I was only able to salvage a few pages. I love that sugar cookie recipe and paint them with the egg yolk paint. My family will kill for a chocolate crinkle cookie so I have to hide most of the batch! I'll have to look for the reprint, though mine was an original, too.

I hope lots of you post your recipes in the recipe thread on the forum. So many good ones have been talked about tonight!

Miss Sheri
October 3rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Good Morning Night Owls! I think I went to bed just before Cyndi started this thread. I grew up in western Washington State. Every year for Christmas, (Beginning the day after Thanksgiving) My mom would get out all the Christmas decorations while all of us kids would head out with my dad to choose and cut down a fresh Christmas Tree. The tree permits were only $3.00 back then and it was a delightful adventure to choose the exact right one. It never failed that we ALWAYS had to cut off at least the bottom third of the tree once we got it home to make it fit in our house, (they just never look that big out doors!) While we were out getting the tree, my mom was busy making homemade New England style Clam Chowder which we all LOVED! Coming in from the cold and sitting down to a huge bowl of that was a bit of heaven. My Grandpa worked all his life shucking oysters on a little southwestern Washington coastal town and would give us fresh oysters for Christmas every year. So, on New Years Day, we would have oyster stew while we took down the tree and put away all the decorations. It was good, but only until you bit into a chunk of the naturally occuring iodine!
we all preferred the clam chowder to the oyster stew.

MayinJerset
October 3rd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Lisa, You really know what I mean about Thanksgiving being just about Thanksgiving in our house when I was growing up. Tradition in my home is turkey, favorite veggies and stuffing with lots of gravy and fresh apple cider from the farm market. Each holiday I tried to add something new and if everyone likes it I'd make it again the next year. For Holiday meals DH likes us to use our china as the plates are extra large so he can cram a bit of everything on it and cover it gravy and cranberry sauce. Dessert is apple pie and whatever anyone else brings. I've gotten too old to do big family dinners so nowadays I just bring something to add to the holiday meal, can't go wrong with a nice bottle of wine.

My mother wasn't a baker and I don't have any recipes from my grandmothers as one died before I was born and the other when I was about 2. Sometimes my Mother did make strufoli or zeppoli but not always. Although I helped her make them there wasn't any written recipe as she remember the recipe by heart. Me, I have to re-read recipes I've made hundreds of times.

No favorites from DH's family. MIL did make Irish Soda bread but it wasn't very good so neither her DD or I ever made it. I do make a softer and slightly sweeter recipe for St. Pat's day, anything that you can spread butter on goes over very well in with my family.

PS: I've been saving all of our favorite recipes inside of plastic sheets in 2 small loose leaf books, adding the ones of other family members as well as any dishes that have become a new favorite.

Kelly F
October 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Funny I went to bed, or tried, just before this post.

I do not have any family recipes either. My Mom cooked the same things over and over growing up. Hot dogs and Mac n cheese, burgers and fries, spaghetti and meatballs, ham and scalloped potatoes and turkey or chicken with potatoes. We were on a tight budget back then.

But I do remember one thing that I always loved and I still request. Dad's pizza! He would get those big frozen/ refrigerated pizzas from the delis. Cook them for about 15 minutes. Then take them out and add his PILE. He added hamburger, ham, sausage, bacon, pepperoni, olives, onion, peppers, and cheese!! It was piled HIGH!

He has not made one of those for me for awhile. I am heading there Friday... Maybe I can talk him into it!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

I love cookbooks too! My faves are the community ones too! I started writing my own. I just started jotting down some of my recipes. Using a lot of herbs, garlic, or peppers from my own garden. A pseudo homesteader's recipe book.

Kelly

toggpine
October 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM
This is my first night owls post. Although I'm often up in the night , I forget to come here.

Our family tradition used to be making Christmas cookies with my son but we seemed to out grow that several years ago. Now we still have one tradition and that is to make applesauce; 30-50 quarts. It has gotten to the point that we don't like any other. It used to be me and my son but for the last couple years my DH has been out of work due to various injuries so he took over my job. Either he or I cut and cook the apples and DS cranks the Squeezo (kind of a glorified food mill). Now that I'm not involved DS does the seasoning (after much coaching and encouragement from mom). We love it. It just isn't fall without making applesauce.

Welcome to the night-shift Nancy!
I LOVE my Squeezo!
Sadly, my family doesn't like applesauce, but they will eat apple butter, so I just cook it down a bit longer and go from there.
I'll be trying out something, as I have quite a few jars of the apple butter left from last year, and I'm going to see if I can use them in place of the pumpkin puree in the bread recipe. I may have to adjust down the spices and the sugar since the butter is already spiced and the apples are sweeter than the pumpkin. I'll let you know how it goes.
The gingersnap recipe should already be in the recipe file/thread, but it will be back there a few pages as I posted it a while ago.

pcbatiks
October 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Good morning night owls.......I was asleep by 10pm & slept until 6:30 this morning....guess I needed it.

Cookbooks to me are almost like fiction.........not real... :D I have a few but I don't like trying to come up with a menu for a meal. I just wish someone would say cook this or better yet the Cooking Fairy could show up & cook our meals for us...that would be great! When I want a new recipe I usually start looking online........but I do agree with Cyndi...there are some great recipes in those community cookbooks. I keep recipes that we like in a binder or notebook.

When I was a kid I always remember my grandma (my dad's mom) making Cheese Souffle with every Sunday meal. She always cooked a big Sunday meal & that was on the table for whatever extended family was visiting. Hot, puffy & cheesy.....yummy! My grandma was making cheese souffle when my dad was a kid..........my mom got the recipe from her & has made it for years when our family gets together.......and I make it occasionally........but not often enough to keep our son from whining about it! :D

At my other grandma's house (my moms mom) our favorite much anticipated meal was the best roast ever, rice & gravy, vegetable & those little brown & serve rolls. All of the kids sat at the snack bar & they would put a plate of rolls on the table with us while all of the good food was on the "big" table with the grown ups! We grandkids gave them a hard time about that when we were old enough to realize the injustice of it! :D Lots of great memories....sitting with cousins laughing & talking during the meal. I just had to share this picture with you........I found this picture a couple of years ago & loved it! Me, my brother & all the cousins.......I'm the oldest. Here we are at the snack bar eating that famous meal!

One of my favorite meals that my mom made a lot when we were younger was chicken & dumplings. I remember on time.....I came from classes....ate a quick meal of dumplings....changed clothes & went to work. I only ate a small amount so the whole time I was at work I kept thinking....when I get home I will eat some more.....yummy! Well, when I got home my teenage brother had ate every drop that was left..........a big glass pyrex dish with several inches of dumplings left!!!!! As you can see.......I am still not over this! :D I still give him a hard time about this! On of our favorite meals now that mom makes is pork steak, mashed potatoes & gravy.......aahhh......you can almost here angels singing!

My moms pies are to die for! Homemade from scratch.........we all have our favorite kind and at the holidays she will make lemon, chocolate, coconut, pecan..........I'm drooling! I don't make them very often but when I do that is the recipe I use. She also makes the best fudge anywhere........& you will never convince me otherwise. It is the old fudge recipe from the Hershey's cocoa tin.......of course she makes a plate with nuts & a plate without nuts to keep all of us happy!

I have always liked baking more than cooking a meal...........I enjoy making cookies & have several favorite recipes. I could go on forever on favorite meals from the past but those mentioned are the ones that the whole extended family will always remember. My favorite meal to cook is roast, mashed potatoes & gravy. Boy....I sure am hungry now! :D

lilmouse
October 3rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
My favorite and I cook it for every Thanksgiving that I cook is my Grandmothers' dressing recipe or stuffing; whichever you prefer to call it....never dry, always moist and the best part of Thanksgiving......I make it but none of my daughters do....I don't know if any of my sisters do or not....but it is mine and I will be sure to pass it to my oldest daughter who likes to cook from scratch on everything!

Tricia
October 3rd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Oh my goodness! I wish I could respond to every one of these posts as they are all so wonderful!

I just have to say hello to Nancy, and that we put up about 50 quarts of applesauce every year with everyone helping! When we eat the last bag it is so sad. We buy drops so it isn't too expensive. We don't season ours at all. I love the pink color from the peels and we have one of those do-hickeys to grind out the sauce separate from the peels and seeds. It works wonderfully and is easy enough for the kids to use.

Tricia, The Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook really is my next favorite cookbook of all time and it's the one I use the most! I had to buy DD Bethany her own because she kept stealing mine. Mine has JUST THIS FALL been destroyed in a tragic accident. I was only able to salvage a few pages. I love that sugar cookie recipe and paint them with the egg yolk paint. My family will kill for a chocolate crinkle cookie so I have to hide most of the batch! I'll have to look for the reprint, though mine was an original, too.

I hope lots of you post your recipes in the recipe thread on the forum. So many good ones have been talked about tonight!

We make Chocolate Crinkles every Christmas too! Why only at Christmas I don't know... Here is a link to Amazon- Betty Crocker's Cooky Book (Facsimile Edition): Betty Crocker, Eric Mulvany: 9780764566370: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crockers-Cooky-Facsimile-Edition/dp/0764566377/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380836148&sr=8-1&keywords=cooky+cookbook)

dwil23
October 3rd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Way past night owl time but I'll fly in here. My DD is also a cookbook collector - really insane number.

My favorite ones, though are the Church cookbooks from the ladies in the Church I grew up in. My Mom was an excellent typist and I remember her typing those recipes and getting them ready for the printer.

There are lots of food related memories I have, but the one I am thinking about most at this time of year is Pumpkin Custard. It is much like the filling for pie, but baked in a baking dish, served with whipped cream and few nuts sprinkled on top. The recipe was actually (believe it or not) submitted by a lady who was a school lunchroom cook back in the day. It calls for a large, restaurant size (#13?) can of pumpkin puree. Milk is measured by the gallon and sugar by the pound. But, boy is it good. My Mom was always expected to bring it to holiday meals. The last time she made it, she decided to try fresh pumpkin. Just not the same. She blended, added, blended some more and it just was not good. Sadly, some family members took their joking about how bad it was so far, that she refused to ever make it again.

cyndiofthevortex
October 3rd, 2013, 07:32 PM
The last time she made it, she decided to try fresh pumpkin. Just not the same. She blended, added, blended some more and it just was not good. Sadly, some family members took their joking about how bad it was so far, that she refused to ever make it again.
This is really sad. I'm so sorry this happened to your mom.

bkthomas
October 3rd, 2013, 07:36 PM
This is really sad. I'm so sorry this happened to your mom.

I agree, sounds wonderful!

pcbatiks
October 3rd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Turena.......your story about your MIL's recipe sounds like the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond! :D At least she gave you the correct ingredients.

May & Lisa........I think our tradition about holiday meals for quite a few years now is that we tend to be nontraditional.........we have had tacos for Thanksgiving, shrimp ettoufee for Christmas, along with other delicious meals. We always have the turkey with all the trimmings on my DH's side of the family............on my side we usually like something else for those meals.

Just wondering......are the chocolate crinkle cookies.......chocolate cookie covered in powdered sugar? Those are yummy.......I need to add that to my cookie making list!