PDA

View Full Version : How do you forum?

Lisapc
October 3rd, 2013, 12:34 AM
I am just curious. I log in first thing in the morning over my first cup of coffee (6:30 am) to see what I missed during the night and remove any spam that has collected. I am happy to say there is less and less spam by the way. I just love banning them! Then I leave myself logged in. I am back on at about 8:30 for about an hour and sometimes a little more depending on my mood. Then I go about my day until lunch and if I am home I eat right here in front of the computer since I am the only one home and I usually stay about an hour while checking email and such. Then I am back when my son is doing homework at the other end of this table around 5 or 6 at night. Then when hubby goes to sleep until the DD if I can before I log out.

Before I got sick last spring I worked from home and would check the forum all day long in between emails and work, and just walking through the room I would pause and click on new posts. Now that I am not working I still check the forum as often as I think of it because I am a moderator and think I should.

Right now I am checking email and talking with an old medicaid/medicare client and keep poking in. It seems that I am here all the time. I am not but do stay logged in.

I have noticed that there are a few that always seem to be here as well and I am assuming that you all leave yourselves logged in as well.

So, how do you forum?

Kgrammiecaz
October 3rd, 2013, 12:51 AM
I think mine is always logged in on my ipad but I dont take it with me to work. I try to look during the day here and there. I feel I check often because I do not want to miss any info I can learn such as tips or where to find a pattern. And since I love the support I love to place up my questions as well. And sadly for me I try to stay up for the dd but I should not be. Thats it

bubba
October 3rd, 2013, 12:56 AM
You can LOG out?????? :icon_rofl:

Kelly F
October 3rd, 2013, 12:58 AM
Well... I work from home but usually I cannot stray my attention away from work for long. I usually like to peek in. I am hoping to make friendships here so I try to keep up. I usually see the same people posting when I am here. I guess I peek in mid-morning east coast time.. Maybe mid afternoon on other days. My most common routine is to peek in after 6pm while watching tv. I like to go to bed at 830 or 9 so if you see me on late... Means the sandman is keeping me awake. I tend to have trouble sleeping 3 of 7 nights a week so I am on a lot late at night like now. I enjoy reading the comments and getting to know everyone's personalities.. So see who knows who.. Who made what .. Where someone is from.

Judy, USMC
October 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
I'm a ping-pong'er. Usually every night starting between 8 pm & midnight if I have something to do in the early morning. Or midnight until 4 or 5am if the schedule is clear for the next day.

Sometimes another hour or two during the day or evening. Just check the new posts. All depends how the day is going.......

maxwellthecat
October 3rd, 2013, 01:07 AM
I never log out, I wouldn't remember my password. I have a hard enough time remembering my name, :)

Doloris
October 3rd, 2013, 01:14 AM
I'm always logged in too. I usually check in the morning while drinking my coffee and then off and on all day. I don't work so I will go in sewing room and sew for a while and when I need a break I check in here. Then in the evening I will sit and watch tv with the laptop or tablet and keep track of what is going on.

Granny Judy
October 3rd, 2013, 01:35 AM
I'm retired and usually home "alone" most days.. so I'll be popping in and out anytime of the day or night. It's my reward to myself for getting my other household chores done.. and when I need a break from quilting I'll stop by to see how everyone is doing.

I always log in and hit "new posts" then Groups new comments. Checking on the Daily Deal is also a part of my day.. that's why I'm a night owl..

Miss Sheri
October 3rd, 2013, 02:00 AM
Hmmm, Lets see, I log in the second everyone is out of the house for work or school, as I leave last, about 8:45 Mountain time. Then, I am the first one home around 1:45 pm so I log back in until everyone starts trickling in from school and work about an hour later. Then, it depends on what I have to accomplish throughout the afternoon/evening. Some days I can peek in and out throughout the whole evening often until 10:30 - 11:00pm. Other days I can hardly even think about checking in and can go several days at a time without logging in. . . after one of those I feel 'starved' for updates and contact with all of you, you have all become so dear to me.

MayinJerset
October 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM
I stay logged in, do keep a page nearby with all my passwords just in case. I'm also retired to can stop in whenever I want or have the time. Usually catch up while having my morning coffee, and later in the day as my 'office' is next to the bathroom and old gals like me stop at the bathroom many times a day. Have been tired the past few days so since DH and DS were watching watching football and/or baseball I 'rested' a bit on my bed, really must have been tired because I never noticed that DH had come to bed and he was fast asleep. Now I'm up for awhile, got the kitchen cleaned up and now catching up with today's news.

Kathy since you are up a few nights a week come join the Night Owls, they should be waking up soon - Cindi has been coming up with interesting questions for us to answer that only seem to keep me up longer. May in Jersey

bkthomas
October 3rd, 2013, 02:53 AM
I have noticed more and more Kathy's lately, so hmmm.......wonder who whoo she wants to join.....
.....All Of 'Em!!!!

Sheena
October 3rd, 2013, 03:02 AM
I get up early. It was 5 am today. I log in and see the daily deal at 7 am and what the night owls are up to. Then I have a look around to see what people have posted. I usually leave myself logged in so I can look at the site from time to time.

I'm self employed so I'm in and out of the house all day, and I do some work and research on the pc too.

bakermom
October 3rd, 2013, 04:27 AM
I stay logged in, too. I check here when I get up in the morning and off and on thru the day. Also when i get home from work(like right now). Sometimes i don't stay long, just enough to see what everyone has bee up to.

Iris Girl
October 3rd, 2013, 04:47 AM
I never log out. I check here first thing in the morning when I wake up and have my tea. Then I go about my morning chores and getting hubby to work and myself ready for work. I check in before I leave. If no work then I check in during the day here and there. Check in again when I get home for a bit and before bed.I am also a gamer so in between playing GW2, checking emails , staying in touch with my quilty ladies on the next class, paying bills..(or making new ones by shopping online for fabric) I spend a lot of time at my computer.

easyquilts
October 3rd, 2013, 05:48 AM
I used to be able to stay logged in, but lately have had to log in each time I check in.

I'm up around 4-4:30, with the little dogs... I make myself some toast and coffee, and as soon as the guys are ready to rerun to bed, I get back in bed, too, amd come here... I check the DD, and new posts.... If the little ones are up around three, I Maghreb join the Night Owls, to see what is happening.

I am home all day, so I check in pretty often.... More often than I care to admit.... I don't want to miss anything!

I usually play with my iPad! While watching TV...unless I am hand quilting or sewing a binding down, so. I pop in here. Nd urging the evening, too....between games of SCRABBLE...

Cathy F
October 3rd, 2013, 06:03 AM
I'm logged in all the time too, I'm home all day so pop in whenever I can to read the new posts.

Andrea F
October 3rd, 2013, 07:40 AM
I log in every morning when I have my coffee and before I go to work. I canīt log in during the day when I work in the therapists office and I wonīt log in when I work at the university because then I probably would get no work done.

Some days I log in and see what has happened when I come home in the early evening. Some days I just look around and read without logging in. I always log out and I clear all cookies after each firefox session so I always have to log in anew when starting my computer. Then I go downstairs doing other things like cooking, doing laundry and all this stuff.
Before I got to bed I usually log in again and then stay here for a while. Most of the time this is a bad idea because it keeps me from going to bed ;) I am a night owl too, but my night owling time is evening for most of you.

I have never joined a forum before and this is still the only forum I am in. Itīs kind of surprising for me but it really does feel like meeting with some friends when I come here :D

Oh, and I have just learned that there is a "new posts" button!

Monique
October 3rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Check email, facebook and then here in the morning. If I am home, will check during the day at times, but then check before I go to bed.

buckeyequilter
October 3rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
I never log out because...well...because I'm just too lazy to keep logging back in. I check in the morning before I leave for work and then check when I have a few minutes during the day. On the week-ends I might stay up for the DD, if I can manage it.

Beakkmom
October 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM
I log in when I'm having my first cup of coffee in the morning, before I head off to work. Then I'll try to check back in the evening, from the "family" laptop. Sometimes in the evening I have some work I need to do from the pc so I'll log in in hubs 'office'. My Nook is always logged in, but the words are so tiny it is better if I use laptop or PC.

Lonna
October 3rd, 2013, 08:49 AM
I have to log in every time I come here. So I don't stayed logged in my computer won't let me. But first thing in the morning I will check here before heading out to work. Then I will check in through out the day at work. Then once again as soon as I get done cooking dinner. Love to see what everyone is up too.

Bubby
October 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
We get up super early at our house (around 4-4:30). After I take the Girls out to potty, fix Jeff's lunch and unload the dishwasher I escape to my sewing room and find M*. I check the Daily Deal first and then go to the forum. I'm only on about 30 minutes and I leave to do my daily brain training at Lumosity. I normally check the forum two or three more times during the day and answer pm's and emails. Some mornings Blondie and I phone chat and on those days I'm absent in the morning.

grannyann
October 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
I stay logged in because I am to lazy to keep signing in every time I want to pop in .

pcbatiks
October 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
I stayed logged in too. Usually I check the forum while eating breakfast......and sometimes stay longer than planned. Then I check in a few times throughout the day.........my reward for getting some work done too. Of course I'll check in during the evening and when I occasionally wake up during the night. I really enjoy the night owl thread.......even if I sleep through it.....I will read it the next day!

dwil23
October 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
I pretty much stay logged in too. I check often during the day - and spend too much time. I also am able to check in when I am at work at night - on breaks and lunch, if I get them! I do usually take at least a minute to check the DD after 1 am.

bdmsmith
October 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
I am always logged in as well. I was actually surprised when I first started on the forum that it didn't log me out when I closed out of the site, but it's easier to just stay logged in. This is the first forum I've been a part of and I'm not currently on any others. Even though I try not to, I am still on the forum off and on throughout the day but I'm trying to limit it because once I start on the computer it seems like I don't get anything else done and the day flies by---like now it's almost 10 my time and I've accomplished little even though I've been up since 7:30 this morning. I'm not a coffee drinker and never have been---I prefer pepsi but am trying to limit it and have been doing surprisingly well at this, not down to 0 yet but I have cut it back considerably.

My day isn't very eventful since I currently am not working. I set the alarm for 6am EST, get up and reset alarm for 7am for hubby. I usually get to see my oldest son leaving although sometimes he leaves just before I get up. I then lay on the couch and nap until 630 when my 16 year old gets up for school and I ask him every morning if he wants breakfast and the answer is almost always no so he gets dressed and lays on the other couch until 7ish and we usually chat and nap until the bus arrives. Then, my husband gets up & gets ready & leaves at 730. I keep my phone set for 8 which I have been trying to get up by then which has worked for me most mornings----if I didn't set the alarm I'd sleep until 930 or so and feel horrible for wasting the morning.

I always get ready when I get up--do hair, etc so I'm ready for the day otherwise I feel like going back to bed. Then, I try and clean up the kitchen before I touch the computer so I've at least accomplished something. Once on the computer my 1st stop is M* and the DD, then I'll check FB, email, craigslist and auction site and then back to M* for the forum. Once I've made my rounds through that I will do more chores---laundry, lay out items for dinner, sweep, feed animals, etc, then come back to check forum, and then actually go to the sewing room to work on something. I usually stop into the forum throughout the day as I go into the kitchen since that's where my computer is but usually my computer time is less at these points since I've already checked things and cleaned out my emails.

The bad days are if I have to go to town for shopping or errands because then it feels like I'm racing to catch up and I've started to feel depressed if I don't get at least some time in my sewing room.

My husband get home around 4ish and he likes to eat dinner at that time because he doesn't eat much during the day. If my youngest works then I make a trip to town around 8 in the evening to pick him up which is about 4 or 5 times per week. Once my husband is home & we're eating I will generally get on the computer for awhile while he's watching the news. I try to sew a bit in the evenings but it's hard since the room is isolated some so I can't see everyone else in the household and I feel like I'm abandoning them. If I do anything in the evening it's generally watching tv with hubby or on the internet since we can still talk and spend time together while he's watching tv and I'm surfing the net. However, if my DH decides to go cut wood, visit a friend, or do something outside then I definitely go to the sewing room and enjoy that extra time!

Well, it's definitely time to get something accomplished. I love reading about everyone else's days and their internet habits.

MRoy
October 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
The only times I log out are when I clear my cache to get rid of the junk. I check in first thing in the morning while drinking my coffee and off and on throughout the day.

alliek
October 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Usually mid morning with another cup of coffee . Then after dinner in the evening.

GuitarGramma
October 3rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Morning and night! I lurk at night while flossing my teeth and maybe post a short answer or two. In the morning I have to dissolve thyroid meds under my tongue, so I grab my tablet and read and post while waiting formit to dissolve. The only problem is that I can't post photos from a tablet due to the operating system. So I try to remember to domso when I'm downstairs working on my laptop.

I love you guys so much that I am signed in all the time on both machines!

denisecolli
October 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
I usually check at different times so stayed logged in (I keep forgetting my password) I have to reset my password everytime oops

toggpine
October 3rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
It sounds like most of us stay logged in! Good thing that green dot lets us know when you are really here!

I check in after I get the kiddo on the bus, about 9 our time here on the west coast. Depending on the day I'll either check in and dash off, or poke around to see what I've missed in the last few days.
When the computer was in the sewing space I dropped in much more often!

I am really enjoying the Night Owl threads! I always felt like the pigtail on the daily threads since there were days I couldn't get to posting until after the business of the family & farm was done, often that puts it pretty late for most folks east of here. There were several times I'd meet Blondie on my way to bed as she was getting up!

I have enjoyed getting to know so many of you!

lilmouse
October 3rd, 2013, 02:16 PM
I check in when I first get up...only time I don't is if I am traveling and away from home...like when I go to my daughters or on a day trip with a friend and I am never logged out either....and I love to pm also.

bkthomas
October 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Like this....sort of;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTDzFUlrDYM

Lisapc
October 3rd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Like this....sort of;

You funny!

Bethy
October 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
I am retired and sleep with my ipad. Facebook, twitter and this web site are my usuals. So I check in first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I usually check the DD but only buy if I must have it due to the high shipping cost. Depending on my mother's routine, I also check on the desk top throughout the day.
Beth

sassyquilter
October 3rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
I go through spurts, but love to check in whenever I can! My home computer is always in and out so it makes it frustrating. Log on at work every chance I get:)

nyscpa2be
October 3rd, 2013, 08:00 PM
I'm always logged on, and am checking continuously from probably 10am to 10pm. Since I'm not working, while I'm waiting on my disability determination, M* is actually helping keep me busy - I'm trying to race through the boxes of fabric we have on hand.

Miss Sheri
October 3rd, 2013, 08:37 PM
Like this....sort of;

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_beuj:

Suzyq
October 3rd, 2013, 09:45 PM
I'm signed in all the time as I too would keep forgetting my passwords if I logged out. Whenever I want to relax, I pick up the iPad which is never far away, and see what everyone else is doing. So many of you motivated me to get off my gynormous butt when I just didn't feel up to it, and those ended up being great sewing days after all...I especially love all you night owls as my sleep schedule is wonky and i need to know I'm not the only one wide awake! Now I just have to post some,photos...

ilive2craft2
October 3rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
I am logged in all of the time. I try to pop in before work, but I am not a morning person. I sometimes check in during work when I need a break and am usually on during the evening. I read it on my phone when I am waiting for things etc. Love hanging out here.

Miss Sheri
October 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM
It sounds like most of us stay logged in! Good thing that green dot lets us know when you are really here!

Ok, . . . What 'green dot'? and how do you all know when its someones birthday? I saw [a long time ago] a refference to something about that too that I did not understand. :icon_pcnoob:

ilive2craft2
October 3rd, 2013, 10:21 PM
Next to the person's screen name is a dot - if they are actually on line it is green, if they are not it is just an empty circle.

For birthdays, on the main page at the bottom (click Forum in the menu bar at the top of the threads) it shows the people who have birthdays today - if they have put their birthday in their profile info - you can do it without the year. :) It also shows newest member, etc.

bkthomas
October 3rd, 2013, 10:29 PM
Ah Ha!!! So it was Ginny B's Birthday today!!!

Now I will have to check that every night when I check the DD!!!!

Miss Sheri
October 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Next to the person's screen name is a dot - if they are actually on line it is green, if they are not it is just an empty circle.

For birthdays, on the main page at the bottom (click Forum in the menu bar at the top of the threads) it shows the people who have birthdays today - if they have put their birthday in their profile info - you can do it without the year. :) It also shows newest member, etc.

OK, so, I found the birthdays {Thank You btw}, but I don't understand where to look for our screen names except on the threads. On the threads, I thought the little green dots meant I had posted on that particular thread, OR, am I still looking at the wrong place?

Lisapc
October 3rd, 2013, 10:38 PM
OK, so, I found the birthdays {Thank You btw}, but I don't understand where to look for our screen names except on the threads. On the threads, I thought the little green dots meant I had posted on that particular thread, OR, am I still looking at the wrong place?

On the thread where you see the persons post, see their avatar and their screen name under it? There is a green dot to the right. If it is green that person is logged in if it is white they are not.

Where are you looking for screen names besides in a thread?

Kat 2
October 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
I like to check on things in the morning with coffee and evening while watching TV. I try to spend some of my afternoon time with my DH, we live in a gated community so every afternoon around 3 pm we take a golf cart ride around the community when weather is permitting. I know I've said this before but I just love that I have found the forum and have been telling several of my quilting friends about this group and how great I think everyone is.

ilive2craft2
October 3rd, 2013, 10:42 PM
I think she is looking at the list of threads - like if you click on Forum and then Show and Tell, it shows all of the threads - there is a green dot with a check mark in it to show that you have already commented on that thread.

Miss Sheri
October 3rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
On the thread where you see the persons post, see their avatar and their screen name under it? There is a green dot to the right. If it is green that person is logged in if it is white they are not.

OH! I SEE IT NOW!!! Thank you to BOTH Lisa's!! I was searching all over the place from the main forum page, including on the different forum catagories where it has little green dots with arrows in the middle of them next to your name if you posted on that thread, [maybe it was just on the ones "I" posted on?!] And I looked up the 'community too. I really was "LOST" hahaha.:icon_doh:

Slamelung
October 4th, 2013, 12:46 AM
I'm Sherry and I am addicted to this forum. I work full time and I get up two hours before I have to leave in the morning so I can drink coffe at the computer. I read msn, Facebook and this forum longer than I should so I have to rush to get ready for work. In the evenings I am tired from work so I watch a little tv then go to bed with my iPad and read the forum. The problem is I spend much more time on the forum than I do sewing which I do very little of. I also very rarely post any thing on here I just lurk. I really need help.

Mchelem
October 4th, 2013, 03:12 AM
I stay logged in, but don't check in to see new posts until around midnight each night, I'm a night owl, so I sleep in til 10, go to the office, fiddle with paperwork, sew, and then come back home around 10 or 11. I pop in and out of the house periodically during the day to let the dogs out and play with them or do laundry and other household stuff.

Mchelem
October 4th, 2013, 03:13 AM

Some forums have a user list. I belong to one for yorkies, and you can look at every members name in that list, it tells the last time they were active and their join date.

Ours is under community, member list.