PDA

View Full Version : Big Night Owl Theory

cyndiofthevortex
October 2nd, 2013, 01:46 AM
Are you worried about choosing colors for your quilts? Do you stress if your seams don't line up? There is something much more important than these things and it's something that not all quilters think about. It is value.

What is value? "It is merely what our eyes perceive when reading how dark or light a color appears." This is from "Designing Quilts - The Value of Value" by Suzanne Tessier Hammond. I have lots of books on how to combine colors in my quilts, and they all touch on value, but this is the only one I've seen that focuses exclusively on this aspect of quilting.

Suzanne uses one simple block throughout the book, the shaded four-patch, to make her quilts. Each quilt is stunning. The book is filled with pics of dozens of her quilts for inspiration plus directions on how to make six of your own.

Here are two quilts made after reading her book. The first uses the shaded four-patch. It has lots of colors in it, the piecing is WAY less than perfect, but what do you notice? The design, of course! And why do you notice the design? Because of my use of value, how dark or light a fabric reads according to what's next to it.

The next picture shows you a quilt with a value flaw. Can you see it? Can you see what's wrong with this quilt? Don't say nothing, that it's beautiful. One block is "off." The colors are right, the fabrics looked right when I chose them, but the value of one block throws the whole quilt out of whack. I will replace it and I know I'll be very happy after I do. Ripping and resewing is well worth it to have a successful quilt. If one part jumps out at you, screaming for attention, it is most likely a problem of value.

Do you analyze after you sew a top together and are you more likely to rip and replace or to live and let live? I am always happier when I rip and do it again, hopefully more successfully. Is there a quilt in your UFO pile with a problem you can't identify? Maybe, like mine, it is a problem of value.

bkthomas
October 2nd, 2013, 01:51 AM
Yes I see it! :icon_tape:
Cyndi, that is really awesome! Thanks!!!

cyndiofthevortex
October 2nd, 2013, 01:54 AM
Yes I see it! :icon_tape:
Cyndi, that is really awesome! Thanks!!!Kathy, I want more out of you! Talk about your UFOs! Talk about your quilts! Talk about something! I know you always have something more to say. Let's hear it! (Sorry to nag. I just like hearing what you have to say!)

Lisapc
October 2nd, 2013, 01:56 AM
That first quilt is a simple four patch? I see it and I get how to do it but I don't believe it. So stunning. I love both of them.

I am not a true scrappy quilt lover. I like to look at them but would never make one of my own. I don't like when my scraps of different color and value commingle.

I am trying to replace my use of the word tone (music background) with value. I won't finish the top until I am totally satisfied with it so I have no UFO's needing a value repair at the moment. I am sure it will come in time.

When I first started quilting I noticed Jenny saying a light, medium and dark all right there in these pre-cuts for you. Then I started looking up free patterns and got my first Quilter's World magazine and it was always the same thing. Light, medium and dark. I really try to stick with that. Except for when I am doing a JRR, that is truly anything goes!

bkthomas
October 2nd, 2013, 02:01 AM
Sorry Cyndi, have a lot on my mind lately and just tonight I got to take the quilt over to my Sis-in-Law and see her for the first time in 10 years or so.

She goes in for her 3rd chemo treatment tomorrow - our visit was a little difficult because we had 3 of the 4 kids with us and couldn't talk for long because we had to get back home - school night.

I'll do better soon, I promise!

cyndiofthevortex
October 2nd, 2013, 02:02 AM
That first quilt is a simple four patch? It is a shaded four-patch, which is harder to make but not very much harder. It gives you a lot more possibilities than a regular four-patch.

cyndiofthevortex
October 2nd, 2013, 02:04 AM
Sorry Cyndi, have a lot on my mind lately and just tonight I got to take the quilt over to my Sis-in-Law and see her for the first time in 10 years or so.

She goes in for her 3rd chemo treatment tomorrow - our visit was a little difficult because we had 3 of the 4 kids with us and couldn't talk for long because we had to get back home - school night.

I'll do better soon, I promise!So sorry I nagged! I love to see your coffee bean owl every time it shows up. You are loved here! Hope your sis gets better soon.

Lisapc
October 2nd, 2013, 02:07 AM
What are the chances you will show us how to do that shaded 4 patch?

cyndiofthevortex
October 2nd, 2013, 02:16 AM
What are the chances you will show us how to do that shaded 4 patch?I made mine the old-fashioned way, cutting each piece out and sewing them together to make the block. There's a new funky way to do it using only squares and rectangles, instead of using triangles, which looks easy and fun. Google it, there's lots of tutorials out there. Some need a special ruler but most do not.

Musical_Starling
October 2nd, 2013, 02:18 AM
I'm like Lisa in that I like the look of scrappy, I just can't make one. My OCD will NOT allow me to just "mix" things. There has to be a pattern of some sort in there somewhere. It's a curse I think lol I don't have any UFO's, but I do pay attention to value (or at least I try to!) One hint I found is that if you're having problems deciding on fabric values take a picture of all of your chosen fabrics side by side and then make the picture black and white. Once the colour is removed from the equation you will see the value much more clearly :) Well, unless you were colour-blind to begin with, then the black and white picture will still look "coloured" to you lol I had a colourblind classmate in college and every other day I would show him a b&w picture and ask him what colour something was and he would tell me and almost look at me like I was dumb because I should have been able to see it as easily as he did. It just amazed me that he wasn't able to tell the difference between a full colour picture and a black and white picture because they look SO different to anyone who isn't colour-blind!

bkthomas
October 2nd, 2013, 02:39 AM

OK, here is something I need to finish; It's my Craftsy BOM from 2012
Do you like the value and contrast?

Musical_Starling
October 2nd, 2013, 02:45 AM

OK, here is something I need to finish; It's my Craftsy BOM from 2012
Do you like the value and contrast?

BEES!!!! :D And the exact same fabric I just bought 10 yards of too! lol

bkthomas
October 2nd, 2013, 02:47 AM
I was wondering how many yards you actually did get! How's that coming?

Lisapc
October 2nd, 2013, 02:49 AM
It was a lot of yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your work is great Kathy.

Musical_Starling
October 2nd, 2013, 02:49 AM
I was wondering how many yards you actually did get! How's that coming?

Haven't even started yet lol I've got too many Christmas gifts to make before I will allow myself to be "selfish" and make things for myself. But it will be soon, because I can't fight the temptation much longer! lol They're so darn cute!!!

toggpine
October 2nd, 2013, 03:43 AM
Sorry. I got nuthin' for this one.

Most of my UFO's were from my hesitation to actually quilt them. I had a bad first experience with the walking foot, and didn't get past it until recently.

I also have an aftermarket "Big Foot" to install on my machine so I can FMQ, but haven't made the leap to try that yet either since there were no instructions on how to install the bugger. (I checked the web site and zip there either.)

Now if I'll just get off the computer and get into the sewing room!

Hulamoon
October 2nd, 2013, 04:27 AM
Good lesson Cyndi. I saw it right away too. Good reason to have a design wall so you can step back and contemplate.

I've been so lazy with my sewing. I HAVE to get to my mug rug swap. Then I'm going to work on my handsome rooster that Shirley sent. I still haven't tested my embroidery machine since it came back from the shop. I want to make some lace ornaments.

Dee I saw that on a blog about the black and white too. It's a good idea.

dwil23
October 2nd, 2013, 05:32 AM
I agonize over the placement of blocks in the finished quilt. For instance, if there is one or two strong colors, they must be separated from other blocks with the same color. It really dives me a little nuts when I see a layout with all of the colors that catch your eye together and not spread around the quilt. I have spent hours arranging and rearranging so that like/similar colors aren't next to each other, even making new blocks, if necessary. The only exception to this would be an ombre layout, which I have yet to do.

And yes, I do see the value error in the second quilt. That would make me a little crazy, too! I just don't like anything that "stands out like a sore thumb". I think it is fascinating how different a block can look, just by varying where the lighter and darker values are placed within a block.

cyndiofthevortex
October 2nd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Kathy, I love your blocks! What a great job picking out fabrics! I hope you'll get this one finished. What a stunning, dynamic quilt it will be.

I think I'll get that Friendship Star quilt out today and at least rip out the wayward block. I hope I have enough background fabric to make another block! Even the backgrounds are scrappy so if I don't I just might have to drag myself to the fabric store to buy more. Darn, that will be rough.

Sheena
October 3rd, 2013, 03:24 AM
When I go to buy fabric I get all the colours out and the shop ladies all give their opinions too!

I've got lots of quilts on the go at the moment. They're all nearly finished, some just need the trim finishing and some need borders BUT all the main bits are done.

I've just received my Vin du Jour layer cake which is gorgeous with no odd bits of value. Don't you just hate it when you buy a JR or LC and some of the fabric just doesn't go with the rest. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I hardly ever unpick work, I'm not a perfectionist. And by the time it's quilted the error is more or less hidden!