PDA

View Full Version : Oh my aching back!

kensington
October 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM
So, we switched the box springs in our Bedroom with the ones in the guest room last night, and when I went to bed, I told hubby it felt like there was a ball in my back. Got up this morning and could barely move without pain. Went to Chiropractor a bit ago and he asked me... "What have you been doing lately"... pen in hand to write down things for my diagnose.

So, I gave him the run down of remodeling the basement, staining, cleaning, (Fall cleaning top to bottom)... moving mattress' and box springs... quilting...

He says... "Quilting... that's that one, that one will really mess with your back". WHAT? Did you see I stained woodwork for 3 weeks daily? Or what about the one where I helped carry box springs up and down stairs? Cleaning wood and floors on my knees?

No... Quilting is bad for your back. Oh, sheesh... :lol:

Miss Sheri
October 1st, 2013, 05:48 PM
Wow, maybe that is what is wrong with my back too.:icon_beuj:

janluna
October 1st, 2013, 05:57 PM
Sorry, but I'd find a different Chiropractor! There is no way that is what gave you all the pain. I could see, if you are sitting hunched over at the machine, or cutting a lot of fabric, but not just quilting in general. Not with all the other stuff you have done. He's crazy! Funny, but Crazy!!!! Hope you feel better soon. Take a break for a couple of days. Get a massage. They are wonderful!!!! Hugs, Jan L.

Miss Sheri
October 1st, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yes, yes, yes! A massage sounds WAAAAYYYY better!

nyscpa2be
October 1st, 2013, 06:03 PM
Was he doing the "I sound serious but I'm really joking" thing?

I had a doctor once tell me I must be allergic to distilled water with all that I listed.

Grandma G
October 1st, 2013, 06:14 PM
So, we switched the box springs in our Bedroom with the ones in the guest room last night, and when I went to bed, I told hubby it felt like there was a ball in my back. Got up this morning and could barely move without pain. Went to Chiropractor a bit ago and he asked me... "What have you been doing lately"... pen in hand to write down things for my diagnose.

So, I gave him the run down of remodeling the basement, staining, cleaning, (Fall cleaning top to bottom)... moving mattress' and box springs... quilting...

He says... "Quilting... that's that one, that one will really mess with your back". WHAT? Did you see I stained woodwork for 3 weeks daily? Or what about the one where I helped carry box springs up and down stairs? Cleaning wood and floors on my knees?

No... Quilting is bad for your back. Oh, sheesh... :lol:

Quilting? Seriously??? That's about the time I would have said wrong answer, try again!

Sorry you are hurting and hope you start to heal VERY soon especially since you have a lot on your plate this week.

Lisapc
October 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM
This is not the week for back pain! You should never have back pain but it does happen to the best of us.

If you were a brand new quilter who was doing nothing but quilting for 18 hours a day I might not think you needed a new chiropractor.

Suzyq
October 1st, 2013, 06:36 PM
Well maybe the chiropractor has seen back pain on quilters before.. There are things you can do tho, one being that pad with the straps which go over your shoulder seen on Fons and Porter ... It forces you to sit properly... Maybe another cushion behind your back...maybe more breaks! But oh never give up,quilting!

Hulamoon
October 1st, 2013, 06:42 PM
lol he could of least suggested a different chair. Maybe because of the hunching over for long periods. maybe we can find a good site for quilting chair suggestions :)

kensington
October 1st, 2013, 07:54 PM
haha! He is really quite good actually. He manipulated my back and I felt that ball area move and now I am pain free. Indeed.

Last year, I put out a rib from cutting fabric for days. My cutting island was too high and I was having to get up on my shoulder and push to cut. I was in so much pain I was begging for relief. I saw him the first time it was way to painful, the second time, the next day... pain eased. Third time, 3 days later... pop... pain gone. He can pop my neck and other Chiropractors cannot. I have a military neck. My neck is way better now that it has been in years before seeing him.

I think it's just funny that he said that, I had to wonder, does he get a lot of women who come in with pain, and the common denominator is "Quilting"? Cracks me up.

kensington
October 1st, 2013, 07:58 PM
This is not the week for back pain! You should never have back pain but it does happen to the best of us.

If you were a brand new quilter who was doing nothing but quilting for 18 hours a day I might not think you needed a new chiropractor.

That is it Lisa, you hit the nail on the head. When I sew and piece, I get tunnel vision, I sew almost nonstop until it's done. That is exactly what I do. I made 9 quilt tops from Sept to Nov last year for Christmas gifts. I'm really bad.

easyquilts
October 1st, 2013, 08:06 PM
I'm going with the message!

kensington
October 1st, 2013, 08:09 PM
Ahhh yes, a massage. That is next on my todo list.

Terri
October 1st, 2013, 10:49 PM
The very reason my chiropractor & his massage therapist's numbers are in my cell phone. I have a 1.5 hr massage followed by an adjustment every 4 weeks. I started with my chiropractor almost 5 (?) yrs ago now. First for severe rt shoulder & neck pain...due to sleeping on my rt side with my arm up under my pillow. Then in Aug 2009, I fell HARD on our kitchen floor (we're on a cement slab), found out quickly that the overspray from Pledge dusting spray and vinyl flooring do not play nicely together....thus landing me on the floor. Then Oct 4, 2010 (our 30th anniversary) I fell down a set of three concrete steps at Disney World (taking down a 3yrs old little boy with me), we were both checked by paramedics & deemed okay. I soaked in a hot tub every night for the rest of the week, nursed a skinned knee & the palm of my hand. Then Dec 23, 2010....I rolled my Dodge Nitro onto it's side (totaled it) and added MORE injury to my rt hip & lower back. I have had steroid injections in my spine between L4 & L5 (or it might be L5 & L6, I honestly don't remember) summer of 2011 & summer of 2012. All of that clumsiness had just added insult to injury time after time....I don't bounce like I used to!! So sitting at my machine for more than 2 or 3 hours will send my back into spasms, if I'm not careful. I have everything as ergonomically correct as possible....but stuff still gets out of whack & I need to be loosened up (massage) & adjusted as a result. And the massages I get are the deep tissue kind....the one that is the "hurt that feels good"....I feel like I've been hit by a train the next day....but about 48 hours later I feel like a new person!!!! I now swear by Epsom salts baths to soothe the aches & help release the toxins after such a massage. I know it may sound like torture....but I feel so good afterward. I recommend a massage to anyone who has neck, shoulder, back, or hip pain...it has helped me tremendously. :) It is a cure, nope....but it sure does help! The reason my parents did NOT name me "Grace". :D

Jean Sewing Machine
October 1st, 2013, 11:24 PM
Kensingon, get better by tomorrow! We missed you today at MSQC!

SuzyQue
October 1st, 2013, 11:35 PM
Is the bonfire still on for tomorrow night?

Lisapc
October 2nd, 2013, 12:38 AM
Kens: I am glad you are feeling better but I have a ? What is a military neck? I have never heard that term before.

GuitarGramma
October 2nd, 2013, 03:34 AM
Last year, I put out a rib from cutting fabric for days.

Oh, Kensington, I know how awful that is -- I popped a rib off my spine once. It was sheer agony. I could find a comfortable position that would last until I had to breathe again. Sadly, I had to keep breathing. This happened on a Friday, so I had to live that way until Monday when my chiropractor opened. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on ANYONE. I'm so sorry to hear that it happened to you, too.

kensington
October 2nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
Kens: I am glad you are feeling better but I have a ? What is a military neck? I have never heard that term before.

Dr says, At some point in my life... I had whiplash, and did not get it treated. I suppose it didn't bother me. LOL. I was in a car accident in my Twenties I suspect is the culprit. But, every one has a curve to their neck... an arch. My neck is straight. I sleep often on a neck pillow.

You know how the Military stand straight all the time... Thus, the term "Military Neck". He says most people who have it, have severe headaches, but I never have. If I sleep wrong, when I wake up, my head will be pounding. I feel like I am going to throw up. But, if I get up, move around, get the pressure off my neck, within 15 minutes the pain is gone.

Such is life.

Lisapc
October 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
My hubby has a completely crooked neck. When you look at him from the back his neck goes to the right. He never gets headaches (knock on wood), so it is really weird to me that too straight a neck which looks normal would cause them.

Not fair! I hope you have a pain free get together and do nothing I wouldn't do and everything I would!

New York Sue
October 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sewing/index.html
I have been known to visit the chiropractor, especially after marathon hours of piecing. I have discovered my chair is too low for my counter height, after looking through this OSHA site. An adjustable height chair is on my Christmas list...
Feel better, chica!

Bubby
October 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
That's a misdiagnosis for sure....!!