PDA

View Full Version : Funny for the day

nyscpa2be
October 1st, 2013, 11:10 AM
This seems to be a little bit of comical irony for today. Google's home page is featuring the picture below of Yosemite badges. Today is Yosemite's 123rd Anniversary. And what better way to celebrate than closing the doors, right? It is a cool collection of badges though.

Lisapc
October 1st, 2013, 11:59 AM
Such a sad day. I am really starting to believe that all politicians work on the right staff to have near them to get those lifelong government perks and work very little on the jobs they were elected to do.

I am powerless in this situation so I will just pray that those most effected will be alright during this shut down.

Sheena
October 1st, 2013, 01:39 PM
When I heard the news I thought it was a 'what if' scenario. It took a few listenings to realise it was for real. I don't expect this from the US.

What happens in the US seems to hit the UK a bit later.

I feel wobbly.

edit: we didn't get your google image in the UK.

nyscpa2be
October 1st, 2013, 02:01 PM
And I just realized just how petty and immature my post sounded. I"m so sorry to anyone I have offended. I know this isn't something to joke about, really, especially considering who will be furloughed. Please accept my apology :(

easyquilts
October 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Such a sad day. I am really starting to believe that all politicians work on the right staff to have near them to get those lifelong government perks and work very little on the jobs they were elected to do.

I am powerless in this situation so I will just pray that those most effected will be alright during this shut down.

Lisa... I'm sure you know that anyone in Congress who works (I can't bear to say serves) one year, can retire wilt full pay and benefits..,. They allow themselves to get huge raises, while the rest of us are struggling just to keep body and soul together.
And.... When they want to cut funding, it is always the poor, children, or the elderly that suffer.... The least powerful groups of people are easy targets.... The rich are definitely getting richer....they are the only ones whose incomes have really increased during these tough economic days.... And the rest of us are getting poorer. That's an actual fact. They really dn't care for anyone but themselves, and preserving their lavish lifestyles....and that means coddling but business...

Most of those.... Probably all, really....leave Congress much richer than the were when they began. Now, why is that? Hmmmmm.

Few things get my blood boiling more readily than thinking of mostly self-serving people who run our government. Can't you see all barely 4ft. 10in. of me jumping up and down??

I could go on, and in, but will be kind, and spare you.

kensington
October 1st, 2013, 02:27 PM
I say let them shut down, close the doors and fire them all. The nation should rise up and take away their jobs until the Widows and the Orphans in this country are cared for... the elderly and the sick. Then... let them have about 60,000 a year to live on, because it should be an honor to serve your country for them... just like it is for the military.

If not... Leave the doors closed. Less government is better anyway, according to the founding fathers. AllsImsayin.

easyquilts
October 1st, 2013, 02:33 PM
PS .... I'm sure everyone is aware that these jokers continue to receive their large salaries..... Aren't they government workers too?

janluna
October 1st, 2013, 06:09 PM
Time to vote!!!! Everyone should have term limits, (2, 2year terms) then you are gone. No lobbying! Did you know that when they leave office, many of them become lobbyists? And make millions!! If they have lots of money, they shouldn't get money after they leave. They should return to normal life and work for it like the rest of us. No more medical care, unless they pay for it. No more free stamps for them to send their lies to our homes. It's time, to vote. Vote them all out and bring in new people with term limits! That's just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. lol

easyquilts
October 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
I really, think the American people are thoroughly disgusted.... I think this congress has something like a 10% approval rating. It's hard to muster up much respect for most of them. They are the true recipients of " welfare ".... They take so much, and give so little n return.

alliek
October 1st, 2013, 09:18 PM
Sandy I have to agree with you on the funding cuts by Congress,especially the one where they cut the food stamp program to "help" people get out and get a job, except there are hardly any jobs that will support a family today in some communities. I have to disagree with you on the point that Congress people can retire with full benefits after one year, that is just not true. They pay into Social Security and into a pension system. You have to have at least five years in office to be eligible and you have to attain a certain age. You can check this all out on Snopes or Politifact.com. Just to let you know.:icon_wave:

PeggyM
October 1st, 2013, 09:43 PM
PS .... I'm sure everyone is aware that these jokers continue to receive their large salaries..... Aren't they government workers too?

I live/work in the most heavily populated area of government employees. A great many of our clients are government employees. I feel greatly for them. They most likely will get paid retroactive, but what about groceries or the utility bills? That being said, I made it home in 57 minutes tonight versus an hour and a half. I feel guilty that I benefited.

Doloris
October 1st, 2013, 09:45 PM
My DS' girlfriend works as a civilian at the Pentagon. She picked up her furlough papers today too.

alliek
October 2nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Sigh, as a former govt worker, i can sympathize with them. You get the public"s wrath most of the time and work under conditions that would not suffice in the public sector. (lack of basic supplies for instance) Now a fulough, not able to take another job either. You work 8 1/2 hours a day to make up for your lunch which is the 1/2 hour. You are "given" two 15 minute breaks a day.